1.8, wolves, respawns.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Likewhat

1.8, wolves, respawns.

Post by Likewhat »

Hello.

On my latest BTW world I've been experiencing some frustration due to the fact that I'm right at the tech level where all I need to advance is wolf dung, but I can't seem to find any of the damn beasts anymore.

Now, I've done my fair share of traveling around and looking for some, all while being aggravated at remembering how I spawned right in the middle of a wolf pack (which despawned way before I got a hold of some bones) when I created the world, but had no luck whatsoever. Right biome, culling wildlife, dawn / dusk treks, nothing. I started looking for some info on the new neutral mob spawning / despawning system for 1.8, and found this thread. I'll always take this kind of "research" with a pinch of salt, but in this case it seems decently verified, and after many Minecraft days of hunting I'm starting to run out of options.

Does anyone else have the same problem on a newly 1.8 started world? Do I really need to resort to some mod or cheat to get those awful dogs to spawn? Am I missing something really obvious that will make me look incredibly dumb?

Thanks for your time.

And by the way, this mod is basically what keeps me playing Minecraft even after the inevitable boredom hit with vanilla. Thanks Flowerchild.
Stormweaver

Re: 1.8, wolves, respawns.

Post by Stormweaver »

the first pack of wolves shouldn't have despawned - have you looked around in holes/caves/ravines nearby? Thier AI hasn't exactly improved. turns out they despawn. This whole post is kinda useless.

Otherwise...all you can do, is more or less search around. once you find them one time, you've got a pack so long as you've got the bones to tame them.
Last edited by Stormweaver on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I've had problems finding wolves as well. I spent 4-5 Minecraft days walking from forest to forest looking for wolves before I found some only to have the first one eat all of my 9 bones without being tamed so I've decided to finish building my mob trap and gather at least a stack of the damned things before going on another journey.

I believe I saw Jeb confirm that wolves are indeed more rare on his twitter. I don't really know just how much more rare they are but it does seem to be by a significant amount.
Likewhat

Post by Likewhat »

Apparently untamed wolves still act like in previous versions, despawning the split second I run a little too far looking for a skeleton to kill by headbutting it. Same as squids, they still despawn. All other neutral mobs stay around, as I've had a chance to see myself with my frequent trips.

I guess it's more hunting time.
DragonFire2876

Post by DragonFire2876 »

best tip i can give is go into area you haven't been since 1.8 ive noticed myself al the animals are harder to find besides squid and there anoying footstep noices them make when your in an under water stronghold...
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Well from the look of that thread you posted, we're screwed (although I have noticed that you will often see wolves when you first spawn in a world...but never again after that). I'd suggest just getting Single Player Commands (dunno if it's updated or not) and use that to spawn some wolves :\
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Wolves don't spawn, but they do despawn. Making them near impossible to find/tame
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Maybe someone should post this as a bug report to mojang? I mean, it must be a bug if they never spawn again :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

This is not true. My son's world, since he's primary bio is a "forest biomes" wolves are constantly respawning. In mine, I have yet to see one wolf spawn in my "forest biomes".

This is a problem I knew would happen for BTW when Notch increased the size of each type of biomes. By the way here are the numbers for spawning in 1.8 as well as the thread that the gives more info.
Biomes wolves spawn in: 25% (Of current)
Percent Chance of Spawning in Biome: 16.66%
Timer for "spawnable areas" check: 20 seconds

You have a 1/4000 chance of a wolf spawning in an already loaded chunk, and a 1/400 chance of a wolf spawning in a newly generated chunk.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/639 ... n-updated/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, for the first time ever, I'm having a bitch of a time finding wolves as well and it's brought my progress in my 1.8 world to a grinding stand-still.

I suspect this is a bug that will be addressed in Mojang's code, but I'm considering temporary alternatives until they get it resolved.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

"Sadly" 'm not sure of that. Seems like they realize how useless wolves were, and decided to drasticaly reduce their chance to spawn.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:"Sadly" 'm not sure of that. Seems like they realize how useless wolves were, and decided to drasticaly reduce their chance to spawn.
Well, what it looks like to me is that they changed over the rest of the animals to use the new no-despawning code and just didn't properly integrate the wolves into that.

Not sure at present. May take a look at their spawning code for the next release I'm working on.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

It would be cool to be able to breed wolves somehow. Don't know if it wouldn't get a little insane after breeding 50 or so. ; D
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

A simple fix could be to allow cows to have a smaller chance than wolves, to produce dung as well. Leaving wolves as our primary source as we could still feed them to a higher production value. :) Or leave it as is, as part of the "adventure" to bring your wolves back to your house, painful as that is with their crappy pathing.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

FlowerChild wrote:
Battosay wrote:"Sadly" 'm not sure of that. Seems like they realize how useless wolves were, and decided to drasticaly reduce their chance to spawn.
Well, what it looks like to me is that they changed over the rest of the animals to use the new no-despawning code and just didn't properly integrate the wolves into that.

Not sure at present. May take a look at their spawning code for the next release I'm working on.
If you do, you could perhaps link their spawning rate to animal breeding, so that breeding animals gives a small chance to attract wolves, then we would have a small measure of control over it. The logical reasoning behind this is that predators would try to hunt the young.
Quesoman

Post by Quesoman »

Aah, so this is why I couldn't find wolves for 3 whole days in a taiga biome in 1.8. Thanks for letting me know, I'll go and do something else meanwhile ^_^

Without wanting to, you made wolves quite important in BTW, how amusing.
Cultures are born and die, but the cheese is immortal.

-A very wise man
Likewhat

Post by Likewhat »

So, in the end I managed to get myself a nice set of 4 wolves. The suggestion to go for not yet generated chunks seemed to help, as I have the feeling (but not the code digging skills to back it up meaningfully) that new biomes get generated with the suitable wildlife already present, skipping the first snowball's chance in hell check for neutral mob spawns.

The fact that damn pine forest was well past an ocean biome from my base was only an addition to the "adventure" part. I learned the hard way that wolves don't teleport when you're in a boat over water. I had to tunnel below ocean floor for a "few" blocks. Those wolves will regret having put me through that.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

As I already found out and posted in one of past threads (viewtopic.php?p=15559#p15559), the code for mob spawn is currently bugged beyond any hope.

As we all know how good is Mojang's coding, maybe completely giving up animal breeding and revert to old algorithm would be better for both players and Mojang themselves....... rather certain this mob spawning problem will not be fixed until 1.10 or even beyond.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Lighthouse wrote: As we all know how good is Mojang's coding
Oh really? I look forward to your next game then, I'm sure it'll be awesome with your superior programming skills.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

FlowerChild wrote:

Would it be possible to add some sort of block you could craft that would "attract" wolves, such as a Hemp Chew toy made of scoured leather and hemp? something that you could place down and it was slightly increase the chances of wolves spawning?

possibly, hemp chow (wheat and hemp) for other animals? :O
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Gilberreke wrote:
Oh really? I look forward to your next game then, I'm sure it'll be awesome with your superior programming skills.
I am not sure why people who are replying my posts are very..... argh, as understatement, downright provoking (as in politically correct sense.) Maybe it is good indication that I need to use one of the forum's functions to avoid stir.

Ironically, I actually did some programming for a while, but I am not going to say I am a programmer because it was when "IBM Compatible" was still relevant.

@ phantum : I believe Flower once said he is never going to implement hemp as anything consumable tho.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Lighthouse wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:
I am not sure why people who are replying my posts are very..... argh, as understatement, downright provoking (as in politically correct sense.) Maybe it is good indication that I need to use one of the forum's functions to avoid stir.

Ironically, I actually did some programming for a while, but I am not going to say I am a programmer because it was when "IBM Compatible" was still relevant.

@ phantum : I believe Flower once said he is never going to implement hemp as anything consumable tho.
well, it would be something purely for wildlife, meaning it technically wouldn't be consumable. I dunno, just offering Ideas, but it seems like he came up with a different solution :)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I havent had too many problems with wolves seeing as I added on a mod that will spawn wolves at the cost of 8 bones nad 1 diamond... plus how much it costs you to tame him...
M!C

Post by M!C »

Markus Persson:
We need to separate mobs from their AIs so we can do behaviors easier. Getting wolves to reproduce is a mess at the moment.
http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/122584835196854272

Seems like Mojang didn't want wolves to become exstinct after all.
screally

Post by screally »

I wonder if he regrets putting them in now :D