Dynamo v1.36 - BTW/IC² Addon

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jorgebonafe

Dynamo v1.36 - BTW/IC² Addon

Post by jorgebonafe »

Spoiler
Show
FC, i'have been working today on an addon to IndustrialCraft²/BTW. Its a dynamo, a block that converts mechanical energy from BTW into electricity from IC². Its mostly done, I've tested it and so far it works without any problems. It has one input and one output of 3EU, slightly better then a solar panel. Only thing that is left to do is making a texture, wich is really not my strong....

Do I have your permission to add this addon on this forum and on IC² forum? Rest assured that I'm only going to post this mod if I have permission from you and Alblaka both.
Dynamo
This machine converts mechanical power from the Better Than Wolves mod (Wind mills, water mills) into electric current. The machine has one input and one output.

Input side:

Output side:

To use, the axle from mechanical power goes into the input side, and as long as there is mechanical power been generated, a current of 2 EU goes out through the output side. You can also open the dynamo's inventory and place batteries to recharge, like a regular coal generator.

Since this is quite a heavy mechanical machine, it is impossible to rotate it, so place it carefully. The machine will always be placed with the INPUT side facing the player. Also, break it with a stone pick or better to retrieve.

Recipe: To make a dynamo you will need three BTW gears, one BTW Gear Box, one IC² Generator and two IC² insulated copper cables.
Spoiler
Show
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motor
This machine converts electrical current into mechanical power. The machine has only one electrical input, and five mechanical outputs.

To use, you must use a current of 128 EU on the input side. The machine needs medium voltage because you can distribute the mechanical power with gearboxes indefinitely.

If a lower current is applied, the machine will try to convert the energy, but it will not be able to. That means a lower current will be consumed but the machine will not create mechanical power, and the current will be wasted. So make sure you apply only the necessary current.

If you apply high voltage or greater on the input side, the machine will explode, so be careful, remember to use transformers.

You can turn off the machine with a redstone current. In this state the machine will not generate mechanical power, and will not consume electrical energy.

Since this is quite a heavy mechanical machine, it is impossible to rotate it, so place it carefully. The machine will always be placed with the INPUT side facing the player. Also, break it with a stone pick or better to retrieve.

Recipe: To make a motor, first you need to make five soulsteel gears. The recipe for the soulsteel gear needs one BTW gear and 4 soulforged steel bars.
Spoiler
Show
To make a motor, you will need five soulsteel gears, one dynamo and one gold cable.
Spoiler
Show
Requirements: Having Better than Wolves mod v3.0 and IC² v1.23 correctly installed.
Installation instructions inside the "Readme.txt" file.
To solve ID conflict issues, read the "Readme.txt" file inside the mod archive.

Screenshots:
ImageImage

Videos:
Spoiler
Show
Video by Oxygene13
Spoiler
Show
Video by Zodiak69
I'm counting on you guys to help me find any remaining bugs on the mod :P

Versions

Dynamo 1.36:
Requires Minecraft 1.8.1, BTW v3.0 and IC² v1.23
Download here

Old Versions:
Spoiler
Show
Dynamo 1.34:
Requires Minecraft 1.8.1, BTW v2.99 and IC² v1.23
Download here

Dynamo 1.33:
Requires Minecraft 1.8.1, BTW v2.98 and IC² v1.23
Download here

Dynamo 1.32:
Requires Minecraft 1.8.1, BTW v2.98 and IC² v1.15
Download here

Dynamo 1.21:
Requires Minecraft 1.8.1, BTW v2.96 and IC² v1.15
Download here

Dynamo 1.2:
Requires Minecraft 1.8.1, BTW v2.95 and IC² v1.15
Download here

Dynamo 1.0:
Requires Minecraft 1.7.3, BTW v2.94 and IC² v1.00
Download Here
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Dynamo - BTW/IC² Addon

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it depends on what you're distributing. If it's modified class files from this mod, then no. If you're doing it without modifying anything from this mod (which is hopefully the case), then that's totally cool :)

If the former though, I will likely be releasing an API for the mod in the near future that should allow you to do this kind of thing without modifying BTW class files.

Regardless man, it's a cool idea, and if the above is a problem I'll see what I can do to rush at least a portion of the API so it ceases to be.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Nah, I had already thought about that. All new class files. I did use your gear box code as a base, well, I needed a starting point, this is actually the first time I try to make a mod. Is that ok?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Nah, I had already thought about that. All new class files. I did use your gear box code as a base, well, I needed a starting point, this is actually the first time I try to make a mod. Is that ok?
Yeah man, I'm totally cool with that, and am actually rather impressed you pulled it off without the API.

More power to you brother. Looking forward to seeing the end result :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Thanks ^^ though but I've been programming java for a couple of years, so it wasn't really so hard... Setting up MCP was the real pain in the ass :P

Cool then. As soon as its done I'll post it here.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

If you can make something that converts power between BC and IC and back, too, I'll give you a big cookie.
SCIENCE!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

While this sounds cool, I'm wondering if it is subject to exploitation. Since a single windmill can power a huge number of axles, couldn't you just have a whole bunch of dynamos linked to a single windmill/waterwheel?

I suppose balance depends on resource costs in this case, so it would have to be comparatively more expensive to make than a solar panel?

I guess this would be more of a problem for BC rather than IC though, since BC relies more on non-renewable energy, whereas IC has the solar, wind and water generators that require no additional input once set up.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Excellent work jorgebonafe! I was wondering how BTW and IC2 could be better integrated and you've provide a key first step. How you also thought about how to align the 2 tech trees or were you just focusing on mechanical -> electrical power?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Hey man, I've got a patch ready that lets BTW axles power the redstone engine for BuildCraft for a higher energy result.

I am planning some more of these small mods. You feel like joining forces? We could create a few of these glue mods
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

gftweek wrote:While this sounds cool, I'm wondering if it is subject to exploitation. Since a single windmill can power a huge number of axles, couldn't you just have a whole bunch of dynamos linked to a single windmill/waterwheel?

I suppose balance depends on resource costs in this case, so it would have to be comparatively more expensive to make than a solar panel?

I guess this would be more of a problem for BC rather than IC though, since BC relies more on non-renewable energy, whereas IC has the solar, wind and water generators that require no additional input once set up.
Depending on how far BTW goes in tech I'm thinking FC should look into that depending on what his plans are.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gilberreke wrote:Hey man, I've got a patch ready that lets BTW axles power the redstone engine for BuildCraft for a higher energy result.

I am planning some more of these small mods. You feel like joining forces? We could create a few of these glue mods
Yeah, that would be great! You could help me do this damn textures :P I kinda took parts of the code from the gearbox, and parts from the generators from IC², and both of them has different texture codes... Its kind of a mess right now, and I have no idea what some of the methods do...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

gftweek wrote:While this sounds cool, I'm wondering if it is subject to exploitation. Since a single windmill can power a huge number of axles, couldn't you just have a whole bunch of dynamos linked to a single windmill/waterwheel?

About the balance, you need an IC² coal generator in the recipe, and since coal generators by themselves generate more power then the dynamo, I think that kinda balance's it out... and the space needed alone for making a huge array of dynamos would probably not be very efficient compared with solar panels IMO....
ct030912

Post by ct030912 »

this is a great addon
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Being a long time IC and BTW user, I would love to see some cross over mods.
MathWizz

Post by MathWizz »

Lol, I was thinking about this very mod for a week or so now and you beat me to it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jorgebonafe wrote:Yeah, that would be great! You could help me do this damn textures :P I kinda took parts of the code from the gearbox, and parts from the generators from IC², and both of them has different texture codes... Its kind of a mess right now, and I have no idea what some of the methods do...
Can we get in contact somehow? I'm on the Forge IRC channel if you want
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I edited my first post to include the mod.
Edit. I just noticed there is no option to attach files on the forum. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could upload this?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, you could use Mediafire like FC does, and another option is to put it in the public folder of your Dropbox account and paste the link to it here.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Dropbox! Wow, I totally forgot I even had that :P

Dropbox it is.
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Excellent, I'll try it when I get home as I haven't yet updated to 1.8.1 yet.

So it acts exactly like any other generator, meaning we would connect cable directly to the Dynamo? Also, not entirely sure 3eu is balanced. Using this block, one windmill, and a lot of axles and gear boxes I can make infinite power in the nether. Would be more in balance if axles lost power like cables over x distance.

Just as a frame of reference (only including infinite power sources):
solar = 1eu
windmill (IC2) = 0-3eu
watermill (IC2) = 2 eu (if feed constant buckets of water, this can be automated with either BTW or Buildcraft)

But of course I'll have to try it out first and see. I know it would take up more space than most of the IC2 generators but still might be better at 2 or 1 eu.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

It looks good, going to download.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Question: what's the conversion rate between mechanical-electrical energy?

I would imagine it would be fairly low, but still consistent enough to be a reliable/early source of energy generation...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

MagusUnion wrote:Question: what's the conversion rate between mechanical-electrical energy?

I would imagine it would be fairly low, but still consistent enough to be a reliable/early source of energy generation...

The Dynamo currently generates a static 3 EU while receiving mechanical power.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

This is actually pretty neat..
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

If i used IC2 i would download and use this, but since i dont, all i can say is good job man, i can believe you did this with the API.