Smooth Stone Factory (Semi-Automatic)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Chaechew

Smooth Stone Factory (Semi-Automatic)

Post by Chaechew »

I have read through rules of the forums and i think the following is okay to do. If not please feel free to delete.

Back Story. Tried to copy battosay with turntable timing and bd as clock and could not for the life of me figure it out, tried for like 2 weeks and failed.

I went back to the drawing board and tried to learn another way.

I figured one out. This video shows it demonstrated, but also goes over the components and how they work together. For those less adept in redstone may learn some good redstone tips that may help them realize their vision as i did mine on this one.

tip: I used online stopwatch to time the steps and adjust my timing.

Proper credits given in the description of the video.

Thank you.

Edit: For some reason every time i try to say block dispenser it came out block detector.
No detectors were used so just understand i mean block dispenser.
Last edited by Chaechew on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Battosay

Re: Smooth Stone Factory (Semi-Automatic)

Post by Battosay »

Wow, that's cool :)
Love to see my ideas reinterpreted :)
You did a good job explaining every part, and every component and why they're used, congrats.
And clever use of the Conditional array, even if I think that it's more complicated than a simple piston ring. Funny that you got the Conditional array but not that part ;)
Edit: For some reason every time i try to say block dispenser it came out block detector.
No detectors were used so just understand i mean block dispenser.
Lol, I have the same issue in most of my vids :p

Oh, and my pseudo is Battosay, not Battoasay. No idea why so many people have trouble with it :/
M!C

Post by M!C »

Battosay wrote: Oh, and my pseudo is Battosay, not Battoasay. No idea why so many people have trouble with it :/
Maybe just hitting the 'a' and 's' key when trying to just hit 's'? Would suprise me though since we're all using 'wasd' quite a bit. ;)
EDIT: He didn't write that anywhere did he? Forget what I was saying ...
Urian

Post by Urian »

With the 1.8 (or 1.9?) changes, we should be able to make smooth stone easier since lava hitting water will create smooth stone. Still, nice to see videos of what people make with BTW :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Indeed :)
Urian wrote:With the 1.8 (or 1.9?) changes, we should be able to make smooth stone easier since lava hitting water will create smooth stone.
Yeah, my design is already made in my world :) Surprised ? ;)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Thats nice but still theres the problem of collecting it without the BD.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I meant the design to collect it with BDs once BTW is updated, of course ;)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

so basically you have the redstone wire, the slots and ect but yet missing the main ingrediant? lol now that I gotta see sounds to me like a roast turkey with no stuffing.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nope, I've got everything, but in my 1.7 world. So it's still making cobble now, but it'll make smooth stone in 1.? ^^
But that's off topic :p
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Urian wrote:With the 1.8 (or 1.9?) changes, we should be able to make smooth stone easier since lava hitting water will create smooth stone. Still, nice to see videos of what people make with BTW :)
Yes, it will become ridiculously easy with BTW, just need a flowing lava next to an infinite water pool (need to use and regenerate still water), a BD and maybe a piston, hook them up to a timer and you are set. It will be as simple, or almost as simple as a cobblestone generator.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

the piston ring i understood although that does have one draw back. It locks you into the number of units you can have. In order to have more you have to have a really large ring and wiring the line spacing can be a hassle well at least for someone as inexperienced as me.

That's not why i didn't use it though.
I could not figure out the timing mechanism you used.
Turntable + BD as a timer.
Could not get the right timing number i needed for my setup.
I tried and tried and tried. while the idea may be simple, converting it to my needs fell out of my grasp.

i needed a 54 second total timing for each revolution and didn't want to make a 54 second pulse generator clock would have been so many repeaters and still would have needed clocks on the other levels. So instead i bypassed clocking the first level and used the array and created a looping circuit where each process is fired by it's previous clock finish and because of that i can just add more BD's and Array units and make it as big as i want. I didn't want to make it huge and then fail, so i made it small but upgradeable.

Even though there may be a better way to do it in the upcoming patches(Which i didn't know till right now):
1. This project made me understand redstone so much better. I get it now. I just don't understand your timing mechs.
2. I won't be updating for a little while till everything catches up, so at least i have what i want now.
3. thanks for the positive feedback. First video and first real project done on my own / not just following a tut.

Edit: Out of respect i am recompling the video to correct the misspell of the name.
Gonna take a couple hours, but i will re-upload and take down the current one.
Of course it had to be in the actual video, couldn't just be where i typed it for a simple fix.
Apologies.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

okay the edited video is up.
The credit to battosay is now spelled correctly.

if not for the fact that i learned so much on this project that i might be a little sad that my little bd cobblestone generator will replace this. Makes sense though, cobble comes from broken smooth and having lava and water make smooth makes perfect sense.

This can still serve to be informative about components and how you can use them to work together to accomplish goals.

I tried using the Turntable and BD as a timer and even just BD's to do timing but kept coming to a simple problem. How to reset them while trying to test how they work. Having to go in and pull an item up and back down to reset. How to ensure they are back at their start point. to be consistent every time seemed very difficult.

@Battosay Maybe if you find yourself with some time you could elaborate on this idea. I have learned a lot watching your videos, but this one left stumped.

Thanks for reading.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Chaechew wrote:I tried using the Turntable and BD as a timer and even just BD's to do timing but kept coming to a simple problem. How to reset them while trying to test how they work. Having to go in and pull an item up and back down to reset. How to ensure they are back at their start point. to be consistent every time seemed very difficult.
Not sure what you mean here :/
Care to elaborate ? :)
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

now these are just assumptions from video footage.

you had 10 lines. 9 and a reset.
You doubled it for better spacing of the lines.
So it had to of been a 20 ring.
1 turntable, 1 BD?

if the turntable is set at 4 with one torch that is 12 to create a hotline assuming it ends on a hot line when it is resetted. and how to ensure that is the case for consistent timing?

Stays on hot for 4 seconds.
12 to create hotline again.

----
12 move
4 no move
12 move
28 seconds per 2 moves of a 20 ring?

I couldn't tell if there were any redstone lines that ran back to the gearbox to slow it down further. I tried many variations of this to try and accomplish the ring you used, but the timing wouldn't come out right.

BD version.
I also tried series BD's of 64*9, 64*6 but ensuring the line up worked was difficult and resetting seemed next to impossible without going to each bd and pulling out an item and putting it back to get it back to first square.

Are you using the first block or the last block as your power conductor when using BD's as timers?

I need to spend more study time with this concept. I am very late to the minecraft game. Trying to catch up.

I think that the use of these to items as timers is a brilliant concept and would like to see more specific detailed uses of it to better comprehend.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: in both cases i found myself perplexed to know how to make end at a spot where i could be sure it would start a new cycle the same every time and not have to wait for it to link all up after hitting a button before it would start the process.
Last edited by Chaechew on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Actually the ring is just the memory for the pistons unleashing the cement.
The timer is only made of the blue wool part ( http://youtu.be/_fSqMO48nfk?t=5m12s ).
So it roughly fits into a 3x3x4 space. It's using the turntable on the latest setting (so 20 sec for a rotation), and since I need 40 sec for the cement to spread and become smooth stone, I used a BD as counter.
When the turntable fully rotates the first time (20sec), the torch Unpower then power the BD, changing the block placed (placing a panel) (=no signal). When it rotates a 2nd time, the BD switch the block again, and place a conductive block (=signal, through a monostable circuit) to harvest the smooth stone, and to move the piston ring (=triger the next piston nor latch, to unleash the next cement source). So the BD counter is roughly acting like a flip flop here, since it's switching between 2 state every 20 sec.
If I want to stop the process at any time, I just have to reset the main nor latch (yellow wool). When i'll start it again, the process will continue. Or I can just reset it then, but i'll have to manually press the button X time to place back the piston ring to the start point. So it's just easier to let it finish its cycle ;)

Edit : Oh and it's actually 10 cycles of the piston ring for a full cycle, not 9 like I said on the video. (the 9th pulse unleash the last cement source. The 10th harvest the smooth stone and place back the ring into its initial position, and reset the main nor latch.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

thanks for the added clarification.
Think my main problem was trying to figure out how many torches to put on the rotate.
I also missed the panel as well as the thought process of a 2 state flip flop.

and if i haven't said so by now. Thanks for all your work, very inspiring. keeps me playing.

Ill go study now :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

My pleasure :)
Have fun ;)