Illegal modpack with BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Illegal modpack with BTW

Post by FlowerChild »

Gdnite wrote:The fodder has a great idea.....

This is the same way Blizzard is dealing with real world trading in diablo 3, they created the real world auction house. If all the mod creators agreed to make a mod pack (you took one step there with the creation of the forge, by making it easy to do so) and someone wanted to put in the time to make it, it would end this flame war. It would appease almost all sides, also undercutting those assholes who did it illegally.
The time is the problem man. Do you think I really want to spend the time I could be spending working on the mod, or otherwise enjoying life, dealing with the above kind of shit?

The short answer is: no :)
MasterJF

Post by MasterJF »

I've been arguing with yogscast fanboys in the comments of the video for like 20 mins and i cant believe the lack of respect they have for the mod developers. The attitude of these yogball suckers is just sickening, they truly just dont give a fuck. :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Btw, Triskelli, would you mind throwing my last post from the MCForums up on SA? I think as a general response to those douche-bags, I would be satisfied with that.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

If anyone is still on about this tread I knwo I'm late to the party but FC I have a small idea for ya... Stop all future updates of the mod on MCF. revoke access to this forum for new people to sign up or something that way we have pretty much a lockdown on the forum stopping any people trying to hop in and blaze the threads about it. I dont know how easy or well it would work but would pretty much halt any more inconvenient issues..
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Deepsniper wrote:If anyone is still on about this tread I knwo I'm late to the party but FC I have a small idea for ya... Stop all future updates of the mod on MCF. revoke access to this forum for new people to sign up or something that way we have pretty much a lockdown on the forum stopping any people trying to hop in and blaze the threads about it. I dont know how easy or well it would work but would pretty much halt any more inconvenient issues..

Won't work... I'm seeing if I can have my goon friend get the other goons to realize all the developers want is just some respect for what they have done...

(vain attempt I know, but still...)
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

IRC could go hunt down the goons again with PL XD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Triskelli wrote:Done.
Thanks man. Much obliged.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

FC I never specifically stated you, it doesn't have to be anyone of the modders in MC forge, what I'm saying is if as a community of modders you choose to put your label on a mod pack that would end this. Look at it this way, my family owns a small business that I will be taking over soon. We sell used cars/ Own a pick-a-part. When a competing business lowers their part prices what do we do? lower ours, because we make our money off of the cars and the scrap. If as a Family (community) we chose to sit there and yell at the other business because they cut their prices we would go out of business from falling apart.

What I'm implying is that this isn't an issue you only face. This affects every modder in the forge community, hell the guy openly bashed all of you. So you have to deal with it as a modding community(family). What would be better than beating than at their own game?
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

I really don't think worrying about SA or what they are doing is constructive. If it hadn't gotten out through YogsCast, you might never have known about it in the irst place, and the Yogscast is the one to blame here, since they already had it out with you over this once before.

Regardless of the pack creators feelings about you, he didn't hand it out to the world on a big flashing stage. YogsCast did. He just made it For Goons, By Goons. Not much different then me custom cobbling texture pcks to something I think looks better and then handing them out to share with my friends who also play MC.

To be quite honest there isn't much you can ever do about a seperate private forum packing things together for use within their community alone. Yeah, you can have downloads pulled but There's more then one way to host a cat and an in-house server is going to be the stop.
Last edited by Magmarashi on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCIENCE!
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

FlowerChild wrote: The time is the problem man. Do you think I really want to spend the time I could be spending working on the mod, or otherwise enjoying life, dealing with the above kind of shit?

I guess I am over simplifying the issue again, I thought all the modpacks do is move around block IDS and make sure you don't over write each others changes. With the forge you don't have to worry about the second issue... as much.

From what I have read you trust the coding of the forge group, have one of them monitor the changes and inform you what future allowances need to be made when creating new content. Who says you have to be the one in charge of the pack?

Also I am not saying all mods that use the forge would be in the pack, that would be a nightmare. Just the ones that the inner circle feel fit in or a good / big enough.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Well, Gdnite, I think the issue here is not with the modpack itself, but rather the fact that the mods are being illegally distributed. As such, the issue is not for the creators to get the downloads themselves through an "official" modpack, but rather to respond to the fact that their work is being stolen. While being flipped off.

That, and I don't think a modpack is really necessary, given how close the Forge is come to providing the benefits a mod pack would produce.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gdnite wrote:The fodder has a great idea.....

This is the same way Blizzard is dealing with real world trading in diablo 3, they created the real world auction house. If all the mod creators agreed to make a mod pack (you took one step there with the creation of the forge, by making it easy to do so) and someone wanted to put in the time to make it, it would end this flame war. It would appease almost all sides, also undercutting those assholes who did it illegally.
The time is the problem man. Do you think I really want to spend the time I could be spending working on the mod, or otherwise enjoying life, dealing with the above kind of shit?

The irritating thing is, thanks to the forge, to make a modpack based on the forge mods pretty much all you have to do is drag the files together and change a few values in the config. I don't personally think that's the way to go, but by extension if a bit of communication between the 'big' forge mods were to, say, eliminate any natural ID conflicts, 99% of arguements for a mod pack literally goes out of the window. Hell, even just supplying config files on the forge thread would do it.

...and most of my post is ninja'd. damn.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Caevin I understand the issue isn't with the modpack its self. Its with the unlawful use of it and the creator of the modpack acting like an ass. I understand that the forge is for the most part a mod pack. And I also understand that almost all of the mod authors have stated they don't care so much about the monetary values. Perhaps my business analogy was misused, but here are the main issues.

-Copyright violation
-Bashing of modders

Personally I believe the forge community of modders need to agree with a way to deal with this. However, I think that a forge sponsored mod pack would spite the creator of this illegal modpack, as it beats him at his own game.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

I'd suggest avoiding the goonswarm thread for now. It's degenerating back into conspiracy-theory level trolling and assumptions about FC's goals based off the mod's name. More's the pity.

I think at this point, what can be done has by and large been done. I'm not sure there's any profit or any way to move things foward, rather than just entrenching both sides into a full on multi-forum flamewar. Which would be about as productive as sticking your hand in a meat grinder, with none of the latter's excitement and devil-may-care attidue demonstrations.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gdnite wrote:Personally I believe the forge community of modders need to agree with a way to deal with this. However, I think that a forge sponsored mod pack would spite the creator of this illegal modpack, as it beats him at his own game.
It does serve to spite him but it returns me to all my original objections to mod packs. I personally don't endorse much of the functionality in the other mods used in combination of BTW (that's not a slight at the other mods themselves mind you), and I think how the SA guys are going on about BTW being the most "useless" part of the mod pack is a good example of that: BTW aims to expand upon the features in vMC incrementally, and is entirely trumped by the functionality of some of the other mods that operate at a much higher tech-level.

There's also the problem that most of the mods in the Forge are for-profit, and an official mod-pack would cut into that. I personally can't see there being a good profit-sharing model here between a bunch of people that exist anonymously over the internet.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Mrchaim wrote:I'd suggest avoiding the goonswarm thread for now. It's degenerating back into conspiracy-theory level trolling and assumptions about FC's goals based off the mod's name. More's the pity.

I think at this point, what can be done has by and large been done. I'm not sure there's any profit or any way to move things foward, rather than just entrenching both sides into a full on multi-forum flamewar. Which would be about as productive as sticking your hand in a meat grinder, with none of the latter's excitement and devil-may-care attidue demonstrations.
Since you brought it up, what is your objection to mod packs? But really if an official mod pack was made I'd think that someone would be able to fit them into each other better rather than mashing them into one.
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

@ Brethern

Go watch the FC interview on Battosays youtube channel.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I would recommend you watch part 4 of the interview video which explains all of that in full detail. There are some very good reasons for it.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Since most of the mods in the forge are for profit why do you have the forge? Who gets all the profit from the forge downloads, and with the forge its easier to make these mod packs? I'm not saying a modpack would be any fun put together, BTW is tailored to a different taste than BC and IC. BC and IC are more on the instant gratification side, while BTW adds more long lasting content. Also having an unofficial mod pack cuts into that profit already, so you are losing anyways, also considering Hundreds of thousands of people just saw this super awesome modpack on the yogcast. Perhaps making the mod pack isn't the best idea, but not doing anything to enforce the copyright rules puts the forge team farther back. As soon as this issue gets buried the better
Xetian

Post by Xetian »

Brethern wrote:
Mrchaim wrote:I'd suggest avoiding the goonswarm thread for now. It's degenerating back into conspiracy-theory level trolling and assumptions about FC's goals based off the mod's name. More's the pity.

Since you brought it up, what is your objection to mod packs? But really if an official mod pack was made I'd think that someone would be able to fit them into each other better rather than mashing them into one.
Been discussed at length. The quick and dirty is that he *was* contemplating it, but the yogscast from before just underlined how incompetent the majority of MC players are. "Bugs" were posted constantly referring to shit addressed in the OP with insufficient information. i.e. (BLACK SCREEN WHAT DO? ((improper modloader installs))

When the player doesn't have to read the OP to install the mod, and it has as many features and adjustments to vMC, it's a goddamn chore for everybody to deal with the traffic of lazy-readers.
FlowerChild wrote: Lol! Dude, I don't think any of our lives would look too good if a random 9-second clip were grabbed as an illustration ;)
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Brethern wrote:Since you brought it up, what is your objection to mod packs? But really if an official mod pack was made I'd think that someone would be able to fit them into each other better rather than mashing them into one.
Uh, if you're meaning me (Which i'm fairly sure yer not)... Well, given i have no personal stake in things, i can hardly give a good answer to that. That said, i've seen plenty of good arguments for why they're a bad idea, in terms of diluting the recognition of the work of the original modder, additional strain for support and that jazz to think that this outweighs the benefits of ease of install.

Personally: I think they make it easy to dilute your experience, or not get a good grasp of why a mod does what it does. I'm pretty much a BTW purist, simply because i like the functionality that it provides, and while stuff like Buildcraft's pipes would be very useful, i feel they'd take away from the fun of carefully putting together things like water flows and hoppers to achieve similar results. I like the challenge basically.

(Which reminds me, i really need to build another version of my wood factory...)

If you're meaning FC's objections - Watch the interview with him on Battosay's channel, or the ilk. He's got some very good reasons which i belive it hurts no one to respect.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Gdnite wrote: Personally I believe the forge community of modders need to agree with a way to deal with this. However, I think that a forge sponsored mod pack would spite the creator of this illegal modpack, as it beats him at his own game.
How is it everytime I get an idea, someone posts it ahead of me?

Oh well... at least I wasn't the one to get shot down by it.. lol

I just say that we vote for a no-port to 1.8 or 1.9... Might slow them down a bit...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Mrchaim wrote:
Brethern wrote:Since you brought it up, what is your objection to mod packs? But really if an official mod pack was made I'd think that someone would be able to fit them into each other better rather than mashing them into one.
Uh, if you're meaning me (Which i'm fairly sure yer not)... Well, given i have no personal stake in things, i can hardly give a good answer to that. That said, i've seen plenty of good arguments for why they're a bad idea, in terms of diluting the recognition of the work of the original modder, additional strain for support and that jazz to think that this outweighs the benefits of ease of install.

Personally: I think they make it easy to dilute your experience, or not get a good grasp of why a mod does what it does. I'm pretty much a BTW purist, simply because i like the functionality that it provides, and while stuff like Buildcraft's pipes would be very useful, i feel they'd take away from the fun of carefully putting together things like water flows and hoppers to achieve similar results. I like the challenge basically.

(Which reminds me, i really need to build another version of my wood factory...)

If you're meaning FC's objections - Watch the interview with him on Battosay's channel, or the ilk. He's got some very good reasons which i belive it hurts no one to respect.
I did mean FC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gdnite wrote:Since most of the mods in the forge are for profit why do you have the forge? Who gets all the profit from the forge downloads, and with the forge its easier to make these mod packs?
Nobody profits from the Forge downloads, but neither are any of us losing out on potential revenue, given that we're still getting the same number of downloads for our individual mods (not that I profit from BTW downloads anyways, but this does apply to most others).

The creators of the Forge all agreed that having a non-profit API was the best thing for the Minecraft community because a for-profit model would compromise the guiding motivations behind it, as it has done with other existing APIs.