Illegal modpack with BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MasterJF

Re: Illegal modpack with BTW

Post by MasterJF »

I'm continuing the posting of my comments and rating up the ones about copyrights and illegal distribution on the yogscast video. My main goal is to try to discourage people from downloading the pack from the link in the description, which links directly to mediafire(wouldnt that make them aiding to illegally distributing copyrighted material and breaking the law themselves?). I will continue my good fight because i have tons of respect for Flower and other modders and am outraged to see their beliefs just tossed in the garbage!
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

MasterJF wrote:I'm continuing the posting of my comments and rating up the ones about copyrights and illegal distribution on the yogscast video. My main goal is to try to discourage people from downloading the pack from the link in the description, which links directly to mediafire(wouldnt that make them aiding to illegally distributing copyrighted material and breaking the law themselves?). I will continue my good fight because i have tons of respect for Flower and other modders and am outraged to see their beliefs just tossed in the garbage!
Good job! Some of us were doing that earlier,but there is way to much
Bullshit in there to stay for more then 20 mins.

Just make sure you thumbs up good comments,and Thumbs down
Pro-illegal modpack comments with lots of thumbs up.(who want one of those as
A top comment)

Also,for those people who are torn between sides,be sure to explain to them why it's illegal.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

I know I haven't been around much, due to being busy at work and feeling alienated from the community here, but I saw the video today and I was pretty pissed about it. I'm only one creepig, but I'm trying to cover reddit like a one-creepig upboat army, because this is pretty fucking lame, IMNSHO. Keep going, FC, if only out of spite to the goons. They're a bunch of asshats anyway.
MasterJF

Post by MasterJF »

Miner7747 wrote:
MasterJF wrote:I'm continuing the posting of my comments and rating up the ones about copyrights and illegal distribution on the yogscast video. My main goal is to try to discourage people from downloading the pack from the link in the description, which links directly to mediafire(wouldnt that make them aiding to illegally distributing copyrighted material and breaking the law themselves?). I will continue my good fight because i have tons of respect for Flower and other modders and am outraged to see their beliefs just tossed in the garbage!
Good job! Some of us were doing that earlier,but there is way to much
Bullshit in there to stay for more then 20 mins.

Just make sure you thumbs up good comments,and Thumbs down
Pro-illegal modpack comments with lots of thumbs up.(who want one of those as
A top comment)

Also,for those people who are torn between sides,be sure to explain to them why it's illegal.
I can debate all night when im full of caffeine and bored lol. My posts and a few others have made it to the top but sadly the fan boys are quick to strike them down. :(
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Word of Warning: Goons are planning a rush in on this (and possibly other) boards... please get an admin to close registration ASAP...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Xetian

Post by Xetian »

MagusUnion wrote:Word of Warning: Goons are planning a rush in on this (and possibly other) boards... please get an admin to close registration ASAP...
"Planning" is a strong word, "raid" an even stronger one. They obviously barely care about this and would rather you not notice them among us and get some irl laughs rather than crash a forum during off-peak hours.
FlowerChild wrote: Lol! Dude, I don't think any of our lives would look too good if a random 9-second clip were grabbed as an illustration ;)
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Xetian wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:Word of Warning: Goons are planning a rush in on this (and possibly other) boards... please get an admin to close registration ASAP...
"Planning" is a strong word, "raid" an even stronger one. They obviously barely care about this and would rather you not notice them among us and get some irl laughs rather than crash a forum during off-peak hours.
Suit yourself then...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MagusUnion wrote:
Xetian wrote:
Suit yourself then...
I had a good response typed up but then I found something better to do so I'm out of this.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Man, I'm thankful some of these dicks aren't real terrorists. I put my fucking YouTube channel out there a little too easily.

Anyways, I kinda got sucked back into this (unfortunately) after seeing every comment on my video after I blew up in. Hopefully people will realize I wasn't in quite the right mind. I still think it was kinda funny how one comment I saw before I deleted them was about how my cursing makes me a 'cool guy'. Nah, just makes me an angry individual. But hey, e'erybody is on YouTube to be cool now.

Either way, if the firebombing starts happening to me, I don't know if I can help in my own way, because as much as I love Better Than Wolves (as well as the idea of the Forge itself), I can't put the future of my small-time channel at the mercy of some douchebags.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

This is why it's generally not a good idea to post vids like that, dood.

(Seriously, why does everyone think i keep trying to stress the need to stay polite and debate stuff properly? It's not just that it's more productive, it's that it's far less likely to bite you in the arse)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Mrchaim wrote:This is why it's generally not a good idea to post vids like that, dood.

(Seriously, why does everyone think i keep trying to stress the need to stay polite and debate stuff properly? It's not just that it's more productive, it's that it's far less likely to bite you in the arse)
Yeah, but it's what I do. Social commentary and the likes. It just happens that I usually am not as vocal about something unless it's controversial.

EDIT: Oh goddammit... now I know why I was firebombed. They linked to me from SA. For fucks sake...

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

KWilt wrote:Man, I'm thankful some of these dicks aren't real terrorists. I put my fucking YouTube channel out there a little too easily.
Don't sweat it man. Suddenly finding yourself in the spotlight can be rough to be sure, especially when the crowd is inherently hostile.

The level of hypocrisy coming out of these pricks is pretty astounding. We've got the creator of the mod-pack stating that "he never wanted to piss anyone off" when his readme for the pack is insulting in itself and he's been blanketing his thread with antagonistic posts about me, BTW, and the general modding community since way before I became involved in this. We've also got a guy whose technical abilities are limited to editing a few config files and slapping a .zip together thinking it qualifies him to critique coding ability.

Again, we're dealing with entitled children that just want everything their way with zero respect for how others may feel about it, and zero respect for the creators of the content they're using. Taking anything they may say personally is just not healthy.

So yeah, take it easy and try to not let it get to you man. I definitely fail to take my own advice there on occasion, like I did earlier today, but it's almost always a mistake.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I tried to read a few pages on SA ... so much bullshit, it's not worth my time.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

FlowerChild wrote:So yeah, take it easy and try to not let it get to you man. I definitely fail to take my own advice there on occasion, like I did earlier today, but it's almost always a mistake.
I try not to let it get to me. Still does.

But I'll still be supporting this the way I can. Gotta get the truth out, even if the slice at my voicebox. Gotta just roll with the punches. Ain't the first time a portion of the Minecraft-using community has been pissed at me, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Just gotta keep calm and carry on. Fight with the facts I got, and I'm sure I can find quite a few of those if I look hard enough.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:I tried to read a few pages on SA ... so much bullshit, it's not worth my time.
Agreed. I think I needed this to put my thick skin back on post-vacation :)

I also think my initial reaction was largely based on an "oh no...not again" response to the potential of another Yogaboo invasion. My feelings on it now are more along the lies of "fuck these clowns".
Durandir

Post by Durandir »

A damn shame. To bad there isn't a way to "sabotage" that pack with a version that doesn't work right without also messing up for the people who download it the right way. Imagine your millstone blowing up your house when using it for instance...
Oh well, hope you manage to shoulder through this. Would suck if it ended up killing the mod.
I can honestly say I that your mod is the only reason why I really want to play Minecraft right now. And the only reason why I haven't updated MC yet.

Oh, and are you adding a lot in the next update? 'cause I am dreading the work on updating the recipe list already... :P
Monicro

Post by Monicro »

Durandir wrote:A damn shame. To bad there isn't a way to "sabotage" that pack with a version that doesn't work right without also messing up for the people who download it the right way. Imagine your millstone blowing up your house when using it for instance...
Oh well, hope you manage to shoulder through this. Would suck if it ended up killing the mod.
I can honestly say I that your mod is the only reason why I really want to play Minecraft right now. And the only reason why I haven't updated MC yet.

Oh, and are you adding a lot in the next update? 'cause I am dreading the work on updating the recipe list already... :P
Kodaichi tried this already, with viruses. It did not work.
why must you lie about us, why
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I've been trying to find a way to word this properly since yesterday but my english is really lacking.
I agree that what's going on over at SA is disrespectful but there really isn't much that can be done about it, and quite honestly it seems that the modpack was only intended for them (i.e a closed group of people) so in a perfect world it wouldn't generate more tech support and damage control for FC, but we all know that isn't the case. Going as far as trying to implement ways to stop people from using alternate download sites etc seems to me as a very good way to waste your time and effort though and is certainly going to add to FCs already bad feelings towards these kinds of things.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Monicro wrote:
why must you lie about us, why
Because before some of the other goons slapped it down by pointing out there's apparently rules against that sort of thing (Outta sheer curio, where are those listed? i could not see them on a quick skim of SA's rules), one of the members of yer forum was suggesting that.

And seriously guys, stop suggesting the Sabotage versions or the banlist ideas. It's equivalent to handing your opposition (whatever that may be) a loaded gun and going "Shoot me! shoot me! cmon, i dare ya! double dare ya!". They achieve nothing in the long term (since by all reports, it's pathetically easy to strip such stuff out if you have the knowledge), and in the short term they furiously piss off would be users, which is hardly a good strategy. Hell, the one thing you can guarantee is that it would further the creation of alternate downloads. Which is sort of missing the point.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

If peeps have a youtube account, thumbs down the top comments for that vid and thumbs up the illegal modpack one. Possibly might be able to shift whats there if enough peeps thumbs down.
derpal

Post by derpal »

Can someone explain to me how this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=756
is any different than the mod pack people are raging about?

How is this any different to what the goon was doing, seeing as you're rehosting a compilation of other people's game modifications, both credit the original authors, it's hosted with your own mediafire link instead of links to their mods (potentially robbing them of money), has zero indication permission was asked for using these texture mods, and it's not forcing users to download and make them work together themselves, instead?'

Seems to me like grade-a hypocracy.
Urian

Post by Urian »

The main difference is that the creators of the texture packs have given permission for people to use their textures in compilation packs while several of the mod authors whose mods are in the goon modpack have said that they do not allow their mods to be distributed via modpacks.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
derpal

Post by derpal »

Actually, the texture pack is breaking the agreements, you're wrong there.

For example, Vattic explicitly says "If anyone wants to use anything I've made please give credit and link back to this topic. " and there's no link to the topic included.

John smith pack has donation links on his page and mentions nothing whatsoever about permission for anyone to use parts of the pack, nor does it say anyone has been granted permission.

Desertcraft is discontinued and there's similarly no agreements for distribution posted anywhere.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

derpal wrote:Actually, the texture pack is breaking the agreements, you're wrong there.

For example, Vattic explicitly says "If anyone wants to use anything I've made please give credit and link back to this topic. " and there's no link to the topic included.

John smith pack has donation links on his page and mentions nothing whatsoever about permission for anyone to use parts of the pack, nor does it say anyone has been granted permission.

Desertcraft is discontinued and there's similarly no agreements for distribution posted anywhere.
I'm sure Battosay can show evidence that he is using all textures with permission. In fact, there was a time where he didn't actively host the pack because he was asked to take it down (I can't remember exactly who asked, but he did regardless). So it's not like he's gone out of his way to cause any harm before.

derpal

Post by derpal »

KWilt wrote:
derpal wrote:Actually, the texture pack is breaking the agreements, you're wrong there.

I'm sure Battosay can show evidence that he is using all textures with permission. In fact, there was a time where he didn't actively host the pack because he was asked to take it down (I can't remember exactly who asked, but he did regardless). So it's not like he's gone out of his way to cause any harm before.
I want to see all this proof of permissions because frankly it just looks like he's doing exactly what he's railing against here, which is pretty disgusting and hypocritical.