1.9 pre-release feature discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

1.9 pre-release feature discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

Creating this thread to replace the one that just got out of control.

I'd like people to post the *features* they discover in 1.9 here. Discussion about whether 1.9 should exist or not will earn you warnings and temporary bans if you persist.

To quote Battosay on what is known about this release so far:
Battosay wrote:From the MCF, about what's new in 1.9 :
New effects

* Blocks under water "drip" into cave/cavern below
* Trees on higher altitudes have less leaves.
* Grass drops more seeds.
* Pressing "escape" no longer pauses the game. (Might be a bug some people are experiencing. Unconfirmed.)
* Lava flows faster.
* Reports of more "lag". Remember this is Pre-Release and there will be bugs.

Mushrooms

* New Shroom biomes?
* "Infected" cows via shrooms

Snow Biome

* Snowman! - Built by Two snow block then pumpkin PLACES not crafted.
* Snow now generates..possible in -x/-y only or at high altitudes. Unconfirmed.
* Snowmen work in the Nether. (Bug? Unconfirmed.)

Swamps

* Lilly Pads (Someone test out sheers on these and see if you can gather them)
* Darker grass - new grass texture for swamps
* Darker water around the swamp area

Villages

* Village Monks - 1 Priest is dressed in white

Nether

* Nether Brick
* Nether Fence
* Nether Stairs
* Nether Stronghold - Netherholds!
* 2 New Nether Mobs - Nether Slimes and the "Blaze" mob.
* Nether Dungeons (Same a netherholds?)
* Netherwart - nether plant (A nether mushroom? Need more clarification)
* Ghasts shoot "bombs" now. Aka new skin for the white balls. :P
* New Sounds by pigmen and ghasts (unconfirmed)
* Pigman drops "Rotten Flesh" & "Gold Nugget" - 3x3 craft = Gold Ingot
* Ghasts drop "Ghast Tear" - Unknown use
* Blazes drop "Blaze Rod" - Uknown use
Topic here :
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/651 ... find-here/
Dutchy

Re: 1.9 pre-release feature discussion

Post by Dutchy »

They all sound rather interesting, especially the idea of snow at high altitude and the implementation of more uses for the Nether.
If I had a signature, it would look like this.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

New effects
I quite like the Tree/altitude change. Although it does not really change gameplay, it does give you that "feel" of being on top of a large mountain. In addition I like the idea of dripping blocks in caves if there is water below, gives you a good indication where water is etc. Helpful, and gives a good atmosphere. I do wonder if it does anything apart from a particle effect though, and I guess people with roof top gardens or water ways might want to double line their floors/ceilings to make sure you don't have water dripping in your bedroom! =D

I never had any problems with lava flows and grass dropping seeds. But I am sure it will be a good change. :) I do hope that lava does not go as fast as water though.

Mushrooms
Mushroom biomes!! This would be kinda cool for those that love fantasy styles and silly things. For those that don't.. well, if there is a biome with huge mushrooms spawning about, then you can chop it down I guess. :P
Cows on shrooms sounds hilarious, and I am really curious how this one plays out. I hope it won't be "too" silly though.

Snow
Snowman! Love it, I like the idea of a non hostile NPC that you can place in snowy areas and defend a chest or something. Awesome for roleplaying. =D I am however, not to sure about the Altitude generation thing. On the one hand I like the idea of an evolving world, but on the other hand I also really enjoy my grassy mountains as some of them look awesome. Having them all covered in snow.. well, I hope that won't be the case. I'd love this to take effect in certain area's random biomes though.

Swamps
Love all these changes, don't really have any comments on this as I just love it all.

Villages
I wonder if this would go into the patch or not. I hope it does, so we can test the NPC out before the villages get populated with more NPC's and help with ironing their patterns/interactions out. I would feel a bit sad for the monk though, as he will be all alone. :( I might just have to go join him and keep him company.

I am very curious to see how he will behave. Will he walk around, mend his church if it takes damage, can he be interacted with - these things. :)

Nether
These additions are all absolutely awesome. I really look forward to exploring the Nether more, as I currently only use it as a good source of food and glowstone. :P
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Trying everything I can with blaze rods, ghast tears, and nether warts. They all seem to activate when you right-click the ground-- they just don't do anything. I think they each need the right block...

Edit: Derp, warts plant on soul sand. Still no luck on crafting recipes though.

Edit 2: Saw a pint-sized cow earlier in a village. Animal breeding implemented?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
screally

Post by screally »

I've found about half of the supposed new content so far (on creative)

Village with people in it, they're just dumb AIs though, so don't get your hopes up. The houses appear a bit nicer though in my opinion

I haven't found a snowy biome yet

I haven't found a mushroom biome yet

I went to the nether, ghasts sound different/shoot tnt. The new slimes look pretty scary.

I eventually found a large nether-sanctuary type thing. Its simply a large maze with a few spawners from the new npc (which looks pretty rediculous but I think it'll probably pack a punch) and a few rooms with netherwart growing in them.

The new mineshafts look pretty cool, but theres still a lot of bugs with it (water/lava spawning on it, floating chests/whole swathes of wood in an underground ravine)

Oh and either from the new grass-seeds or something, but I've seen lots of wheat seeds lying around, on blocks such as sand/gravel, where the grass was probably placed and then the block. Also, if a swamp is next to a dessert, then the trees will change colour if they bisect the edge
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

After decompiling the 1.9 Pre-Release minecraft.jar, here is everything I've found so far:

mn.class (Block.class)
---
New Blocks:
ID 110 - "mycel" - Apparently related to Villages, and has appearance of either grass or snow. If we had updated sounds, it would apparently play some kind of town melody when the player is nearby or when it is stepped on.
ID 111 - Water Lily
ID 112 - Nether Brick
ID 113 - Nether Fence
ID 114 - Nether Brick Stairs
ID 115 - Nether Stalk (some kind of plant that grows over soulsand and appears in nether strongholds)

ue.class (Item.class)
---
New Items:
ID 369 - Blaze Rod
ID 370 - Ghast Tear
ID 371 - "Gold Nugget"
ID 372 - Nether Stalk Seeds

wt.class (BiomeGenBase.class)
---
New Biomes
ID 10 - Frozen Ocean
ID 11 - Frozen River
ID 12 - Ice Plains
ID 13 - Ice Mountains
ID 14 - Mushroom Island
ID 15 - Mushroom Island Shore

Enderman had their spawning frequency cut in half.

vx.class (EntityList.class)
---
New Mobs
ID 13 - Small Fireball
ID 61 - Lava Slime
ID 62 - Blaze
ID 96 - Mushroom Cow
ID 97 - Snow Man
ID 120 - Villager
posted on http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/651 ... e__st__120
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Flowing water meeting a lava source will make obsidian.

Water meeting flowing lava just cobble.

Flowing lava meeting water makes smooth stone.
Enderman move array says they can pickup:
grass, dirt, sand, gravel, flower, rose, mushroom, mushroom, tnt, redstoneDust, oreDiamond, pumpkin, melon, mycel

Source:
minecraft_server.jar
kp.class
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

I love the nugget thing, makes visiting the nether a bit more rewarding.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, that block ID 110 could be the brown/gray grass-like blocks (since there's tons of mushrooms around, likely the mycelia) you can see in the attached picture of one of Notch's tweets about the "mooshrooms" (this one). And, there was a quote and picture in the OP of the MCF thread related to the "mushroom island" and "mushroom island shore" biomes showing a herd of mooshrooms on one of the mushroom islands.

The change to water/lava interactions is interesting, although it won't affect cobblestone generators (except to make it faster, since cobblestone takes longer to mine than stone), and make regular stone generators possible with BTW (assuming they don't push a 1.10 out before everything gets updated).

The change to what an enderman can move is nice, although it's somewhat odd that they can move diamond ore.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

So far my favorite feature is the water droplets if there is water above you. lol
It's just a really nice subtle touch.

Maybe the hope is that enderman will make getting diamond harder? Or easier? ;D
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I had a quick fly around in creative, and a few things:
- Swamps look great now, but the boarders between them and other biomes (both on grass and water) are painfully obvious.
- Lillypads can be converted to items by placing a block under them (don't know if they can be placed again though)
- Snowmen are amazing. found a zombie spawner, so I filled the room with snowmen for the hell of it....it was funny.
- The pillars holding the netherbrick bridges up seem to go all the way to solid ground; useful for getting under the lava lakes.
- Netherbrick looks quite nice tbh. Not so sure about the fenceposts though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I also notice that nether brick is Ghast blast resistant.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ilovekintoki wrote:I love the nugget thing, makes visiting the nether a bit more rewarding.
I am a little iffy on this one. Gold was an underused resource to begin with IMO, and not sure what the intention is of adding a second source.

Perhaps the uses for gold will be expanded in the near future. My best guess at this point is that it'll be used to trade with villagers or something.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

That'll be a fun farm to set up though; a huge zombie pigman mobtrap sending gold nuggets to a crucible for processing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

The gold nuggets will provide an alternate way to get gold for creating minecart booster tracks. That's all I really use it for other than decoration.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

With the dripping water, I now have to wonder if it would be possible for the water to eventually erode (destroy) the dirt between it and air underneath. It would force you to shore up your mineshafts or risk flooding without requiring things like Finite Water.

Snow golems are going to be incredibly handy. Narrow bridge leading into my base lined with snowman guard posts means hostile mobs get knocked into the mob trap feed chute.
Better is the enemy of Good
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I haven't had a chance to try it out much yet, just found a village and checked at the NPC's, they look odd to me so I will be using a texture pack to replace the as soon as I find a good one, I saw one already that removed the squidward schnozz.

I'm wondering if something has been implemented with the blaze rod, but it doesn't work on it's own, perhaps it can capture then shoot Blaze or Ghast fireballs? Otherwise looks like it will be an alchemy item along with Ghast tears in 1.10.
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

I like everything so far. Mojang really pushes vMC adventure aspects to far more higher place and along with that; its survival aspect. Still think one particular thing needs to be changed. I think food is overpowerd in its current state and I don't like at all that tall grass gives more seeds.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I haven't played around much with the new content yet (started a creative wrld and went for a quick sight-seeing in the nether, had a look at the new vilalge mobs etc and I like what I'm seeing. All the new drops from the nether mobs are sure to come in handy (I have a feeling Notch will use them for alchemy or something similar and I guess there's plenty of room for FC to use them as well).
I still don't really "get" the snow man though. Me and my girlfriend we're giggling like crazy when i first built one and they sure are funny but I couldn't find a good way to control them so I'm not sure I'll ever use them for anything. Then again, there are people far more clever than I am on these boards so i guess time will tell.
Still playing in my 1.8 world though so I haven't tried harvesting lily pads yet (if it's at all possible) and I'm not sure what i'd use them for. Probably decoration the water springs in my green house the same way I have the outer walls all covered with vines.
Over all I'm happily surprised. :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

DaveYanakov wrote:With the dripping water, I now have to wonder if it would be possible for the water to eventually erode (destroy) the dirt between it and air underneath. It would force you to shore up your mineshafts or risk flooding without requiring things like Finite Water.

Snow golems are going to be incredibly handy. Narrow bridge leading into my base lined with snowman guard posts means hostile mobs get knocked into the mob trap feed chute.
For quite sometime I was toying with the idea of a mining overhaul mod.

What I was thinking about doing is having it the deeper you went down you'd have a higher chance of having a cave in. Requiring you to have support beams to keep the mines from caving in.

Natural caves would be stable but digging off shoots would mean those tunnels would collapse.

I abandoned the idea because 1) I'd have never got it done before a update came out. 2) While it might have been a good idea it would have made minecraft into a tedious game instead of a relaxing game.

The short form is that erosion isn't a good idea. Not only with it take up more processing power, in a game that's already coded poorly but it would just give a feature that's pointless.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Anyone found a mushroom biome yet? Spent ages searching, all I got were a few deserts and swamps >.<
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Brethern wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:With the dripping water, I now have to wonder if it would be possible for the water to eventually erode (destroy) the dirt between it and air underneath. It would force you to shore up your mineshafts or risk flooding without requiring things like Finite Water.

For quite sometime I was toying with the idea of a mining overhaul mod.

What I was thinking about doing is having it the deeper you went down you'd have a higher chance of having a cave in. Requiring you to have support beams to keep the mines from caving in.

Natural caves would be stable but digging off shoots would mean those tunnels would collapse.

I abandoned the idea because 1) I'd have never got it done before a update came out. 2) While it might have been a good idea it would have made minecraft into a tedious game instead of a relaxing game.

The short form is that erosion isn't a good idea. Not only with it take up more processing power, in a game that's already coded poorly but it would just give a feature that's pointless.

If it had to check every air block below 64, it would also generate a huge amount of lag. Caves with dirt ceilings that are also under water on the other hand are rather rare. Enough so that having to make sure they were supported by some cobble would only add an occasional hazard to keep the player on their toes.
Better is the enemy of Good
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Stormweaver wrote:Anyone found a mushroom biome yet? Spent ages searching, all I got were a few deserts and swamps >.<
Seed: 4504911559719506496

X: 520
Z: -470

Found that one on the MC Forums.
There's a few others too, but I'm too lazy to find them.

The grey stuff spreads like grass to plain dirt blocks, you can't plant trees on them, and monsters don't seem to spawn on it. It won't grow over a grass block (like I assumed it would via infection or something).
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

KriiEiter wrote:The grey stuff spreads like grass to plain dirt blocks, you can't plant trees on them, and monsters don't seem to spawn on it. It won't grow over a grass block (like I assumed it would via infection or something).
Sounds useful for making mob grinders in mushroom biomes if hostile mobs don't spawn there. Can you collect the mycel blocks, or is it like grass and becomes dirt?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It's like grass - it reverts to dirt. I'm guessing it won't grow over grass because it's limited by biomes, but I haven't tested it.
Last edited by Katalliaan on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire