Welcome to Edolas [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
FaceFoiled

Welcome to Edolas [CLOSED]

Post by FaceFoiled »

This server has been closed down. Download for the world can be found on the last page.

Older server information in spoiler below.
Spoiler
Show
Hi there!

As quite a few of the players on the Edolas server are Better Than Wolves members, I though I'd make a thread here where I would post details/information.

Introduction:
Edolas is the name of the world, and is taken from the Fairy Tail manga. In Fairy Tail, Edolas is a world that does not have magic, and I thought it would fit this world as well as it won't have any fancy addons either. This is currently a 10 slot server that has 1.5Gb of dedicated memory running on a 1Gb uplink and is hosted by fragnet.net on which we construct anything and everything. This server is set to Normaland running BTW. I will do my best to keep it up to date at all times, and update the server as soon as a new update for BTW is available.

Current version: Minecraft 1.5.2 - BTW 4.8999999

Can I join?
Yes you can! However as the server has been running for quite a long time now, people have put a lot of effort into their builds and resource collections. As such, to avoid any possible issues with new members/naughty folk, I am placing some hefty restrictions on the white listing process. To apply, simply request access here (thread reply). I send out replies as a private message asking some question to try and get to know you, to decide whether to white list or not. Please note that only active members of the forums will be white listed from this point forward, for the foreseeable future to make my life a lot easier. I understand this might be disappointing to some, but well, C'est la vie.

Server details
The server IP is: nl-12.fragnet.net:25865 - You will have to be whitelisted (accepted on the server) before you can connect to it though, so unless you have received contact from me with details, you won't be able to use it. =( This serves more as a reminder for those that already can login. :)

Can I see your world map? Disabled!!
There is currently no "live" map available. I do intent to provide a basic map again in the future though, but it will not be updated very often, as it requires me to take the server down to download the world and render the map.
Last edited by FaceFoiled on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:44 am, edited 64 times in total.
FaceFoiled

Competion!

Post by FaceFoiled »

Competition time!!!!

Castle buildoff!
Creativity is key, build a stronghold or a classic "camelot". Go medieval or spooky pointy towers Transylvania. Add a moat or drawbridge, dungeons or wizard towers. Creativity is key, and rewarded!! ^_^

Requirements:
- Have a main entrance
- Above ground build (feel free to go underground as well, but needs an above ground main structure)
- "semi functional" Make a working build, not an empty shell. (Have an inside)
- Participation announcement with basic instructions on how to get to the build

I think that is it for now. As before, you are free to team up, but I can only award the designated "author" of the build as winner. I'd like before/during and after pictures when completed, to verify it is a new build.

As before, I want at least 3 submissions. As this concerns a big build, the competition will last for a while as well. After the first three submissions have been received, the deadline will be one month later (to the date).

Below are the prizes up for grabs, so far top 3 gets rewards. :) With time, more might follow:

King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising
Dead Island GOTY and Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (DLC)

Good luck! =)

Previous competitions:
Mill competition
Show
In an attempt to get a bit of activity on the server again, I thought it would be fun to have a bit of a competition. Last time, we had a timed build (first to..) challenge. This time, I think it will be a aesthetic build challenge.

So here is the challenge! Build a new windmill or waterwheel (or combined) building that powers a millstone. Functionality of the millstone (space/water streams) is optional and completely up to you, it's all about aesthetics, what looks best. =)

The prize that is up for grabs, is a Crayon Physics Deluxe Steam Key!

Rules:
- It has to be a new build.
- Screenshots from start and build phase.*
- You can use any materials you want, as big or small and complicated as you want.
- You can work cooperatively, but there is only one prize.
- Screenshots from end result without a texture pack.**

The competition duration is not set in stone. As in: As soon as I have received the first 3 entries, there will be 2 weeks left for others to contribute/finish. I want at least 3 entries through, once the 3rd has been received I will clearly state on which day the competition ends for final submissions.

*In addition to the end result, I want to see a picture at the start of the build, and halfway through. To see the progress, and confirm it is a new build.
**You are welcome to design your build in any texture pack you want, and I would love to see screenshots in your design/texture pack. However, to judge the various builds fairly, I'd like to see the end result (screenshots) without a texture pack as well.
Last edited by FaceFoiled on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
FaceFoiled

Plugin details

Post by FaceFoiled »

In the below spoiler are the "old" plugins. Leaving them in there for now, nostalgic and what-not. ^_^
old plugins
Show
Lockette:
The purpose of this plugin is to restrict access to the contents of chests, dispensers, furnaces, and doors without the use of a database to track containers.

Chests:
To use, simply place a signpost on the floor directly beside a chest or other container to be locked. Enter [Private] as the first line. Your own name will automatically be entered on line 2 as the chest owner. Optionally type in the full names of two other users allowed to access the chest's inventory on lines 3 and 4.

When done correctly, the sign will automatically fix itself to the side the target chest, protecting it from unauthorized access! Only the chest's owner can then break the sign or chest.

Additionally, you can enter [Everyone] on lines 3 or 4 instead of a user name to allow everyone access to the contents of a private container.

The owner of a container can add more users by placing additional signs beside the container with the heading [More Users], where lines 2-4 specify the names of the additional users. You can edit the users on previously placed signs by right clicking the sign, and using the command '/lockette <line number> <text>' to change it.

Doors:
To protect a door, you can use the same method as protecting a container, the sign will attach to the door automatically. In addition, you can attach a [Private] wall sign to any side of the blocks just above or just below a door. For double doors only one side needs a sign. Door support is enabled by default in the config file.

Once a door is protected it will only open for someone listed as a user, and will not respond to redstone power or switches unless [Everyone] is listed as a user. Iron doors which usually won't open from clicking will work just as wooden doors. In addition, double doors will open together automatically!

You can also use [More Users] signs as with containers, with the caveat that the sign cannot be placed on the block above the door if the [Private] sign is not above the door as well! (This is done to prevent a security uncertainty issue.)

Protected doors will be closed automatically if a timer is set. A timer can be set globally with a configuration option, or individually for each door by using the tag [Timer: #] on line 3 or 4 of the [Private] sign, where # is the number of seconds that the door should remain open. If the timer is set to 0, this means the door will never automatically close. If no timer is specified, protected doors will use a global timer set in the configuration file. If the server is shut down cleanly any open doors will be closed, but in the event of a server crash while a door is open, it may remain so. Note that the initial state of a door is assumed to be closed.

Care must me taken to place protected doors on a stable block. Building a door on sand, gravel, leaves, TNT and et cetera are allowed by the plugin, but cannot be secured fully. :3 Additionally, it should be noted that most status messages still refer to locked blocks as containers, so for the purpose of simplicity, doors should be considered as a type of container.

Iconomy:
/money
Check your balance.

/money [name]
Check others balance.

/money help (command)
For Help & Information.

/money pay [name] [amount]
Send money to others.

Chest Shops:
How to create a ChestShop?
- Place a chest, if you haven't already.
- Place a sign 1 block near the chest (for example, above the chest)
- On the sign, write:

Line 1:
Line 2: item amount
Line 3: price
Line 3: item name

(Item name can actually be item ID or alias)
First line will be filled in by the plugin automatically. (seller name)
Price is a combination of buy and sell price.
You have to have B near buy price (people buy from you), and S near sell price (people sell to you).
If you have both B and S, separate them with a colon - :

For example:
Line 1: FaceFoiled
Line 2: 64
Line 3: B10:5S
Line 3: Diamond

means that FaceFoiled wants to sell 64 diamonds for 10$ and buy them back from you for 5$
Also, if you put "free" instead of price, it is free to buy or sell

Using shops
You could buy and sell by right and left clicking the sign for a long time.
Now it's the only way to use the shops.
It's SIMPLE!
Just LEFT-CLICK to SELL to shop, and
RIGHT-CLICK to BUY from shop.
(This can be changed in the config file)

Destroying shops
If you want to delete your old shop, simply SNEAK and destroy the sign.
It's that easy =)

Stoking shops
You can either open the chest and stock it up, or click on your own sign - it will open chest's inventory (that way you can have chests not openable by other people for sure )

Portcullis:
Usage:

* Build the portcullis itself by stacking rows of fences (wood or iron), at least two wide and two high.
* Build the wall around it to contain it. Leave enough empty space above the portcullis to allow it to go as high as you want it to go.
* Power the portcullis by powering one of the blocks adjacent to it on either side, by attaching a lever or redstone dust. For now, the power has to come from the side.

Drawbridge:
Usage:

* Build the bridge itself, out of slabs/half-blocks or double slabs.
* Make sure there is at least one block adjacent to the bridge on three sides, so that it can't move in that direction.
* For the direction in which you want it to move, make sure there is a block to stop at the distance you want it to move to.
* Power one of the blocks underneath the bridge with redstone. Please note: you are powering a block underneath the bridge, not the bridge itself! Note that for the purposes of this plugin, just running redstone wire underneath a block will power it.
* If you power more than one block, the bridge will move faster! Two blocks doubles the speed, and three blocks doubles it once more (so four times as fast as one block).
* Make sure that when the bridge is fully extended it is still in contact with redstone power underneath. It can be the same blocks, or different ones.
* When the blocks receive redstone power, the bridge will move to the south or west (depending on which direction it is able to move in), when they lose redstone power, it will move to the north or east.

Hints and tips:

* The bridge has to be at least two blocks long on each side, and it must be rectangular. It can't have holes or bits sticking out. It also can't abut any other blocks of the same height and material (when open or closed), since the plugin will think they are meant to be part of the bridge.
* I highly recommend to make the distance the bridge can move less than its length. That way, the blocks at the forward edge of the bridge (when it is open) are always in contact with the bridge, so you only have to power one of those blocks.
* The bridge will go through (and hold back) water and lava, so you can make water gates and water or lava traps with them.
* The blocks that stop the bridge when it retracts can be steps or stairs. This way you get a smooth walking experience when the bridge is closed, without having to jump, if you are using slabs/half-blocks for the bridge. Here is an example to show what I mean (the bridge is closed in this example, and there are wooden stair blocks on each end):

Turnstile:
* /ts make [Name] - Make target fence block into a Turnstile
* /ts link [Name] - Link target block with Turnstile
* /ts rename [Name] [NewName] - Renames the Turnstile
* /ts unlink [Name] - Unlink target block with Turnstile
* /ts delete [Name] - Delete Turnstile and unlink blocks
* /ts price [Name] [Price] - Set cost of Turnstile
* /ts price [Name] [ItemID(.Damage)] [Amount] - Set cost to item
* /ts access [Name] public - Allow anyone to open the Turnstile
* /ts access [Name] private - Allow only the owner to open
* /ts access [Name] [Group] - Allow only specific Group to open
* /ts free [Name] [TimeStart-TimeEnd] - Free during timespan
* /ts locked [Name] [TimeStart-TimeEnd] - Locked during timespan
* /ts earned [Name] - Display money the Turnstile earned
* /ts collect - Retrieve items from the target Turnstile chest
* /ts owner [Name] [Player] - Send money for Turnstile to Player
* /ts bank [Name] [Player] - Send money for Turnstile to Bank
* /ts list - List all Turnstiles
* /ts info - Gives info of Turnstile
* /ts help - Displays Turnstile help page

Dropchest
/dropchest add [radius] (2 = max)
/dropchest remove chestid
/dropchest list
/dropchest setradius chestid radius
/dropchest which
/dropchest info chest
/dropchest setname {chestid} {newname}
/dropchest setowner {chest} {newowner}
/dcitem [NAME|id]
Last edited by FaceFoiled on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
FaceFoiled

Re: Welcome to Edolas (Server information)

Post by FaceFoiled »

Bukkit has been installed, and whitelist details have been moved over. Same world, all details should be the same (inventories, locations etc.).

I am still absolutely lost with the plugins though, so none of those work yet. Well, the plugins work, but my permissions don't. =D
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Am I logging on at the worst times, or has everyone lost interest? There's no one there whenever I log on.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

sargunster wrote:Am I logging on at the worst times, or has everyone lost interest? There's no one there whenever I log on.
Thats how it is for me, too :( I think we need to whitelist more people, It's not near as fun playing alone
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to make a quick inquiry about the server rules. I'd really like to find myself a new SMP server (I haven't played SMP in quite awhile), but I generally only play on anarchy servers.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:Just wanted to make a quick inquiry about the server rules. I'd really like to find myself a new SMP server (I haven't played SMP in quite awhile), but I generally only play on anarchy servers.
While I can't speak for facefoiled, I'm pretty sure most things to do on an anarchy server would be frowned upon here. Setting up traps in your home is probably the most anarchistic activity you can do on the server :p
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Heya :)

Yeah we do need more people whitelisted to get a more active player base. If you know of anybody (friend or whoever) that is interested, PM their name. :)

In regards to the rules:

I don't really have "rules", I want people to have fun and not limit them with rules. I do however, ask people to respect other peoples places and not just blow it skyhigh or trap is with TNT so when they walk in it goes off. :P

The main thing that is troubling me at the moment, is the sodding Bukkit permissions. I just can't get the buggers to work at all.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

What exactly would you expect to be able and do when you think of an anarchy server?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote:What exactly would you expect to be able and do when you think of an anarchy server?
Anything short of cheat. Your rules about not blowing a person's place sky-high definitely makes it non-anarchy ;)

Anarchy servers are typified by people hiding under ground and others finding your base = death. It's a very different style of play, but the one which I personally prefer.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I do like that idea actually, but what prevents someone from just tunneling around to find bases to blow up? :P

Again though, I do like that. :D When I get bukkit to work, I might set up a multi-world thing. world 1 would be Edolas as it is, so people can build and design etc. and the second an anarchy style if there is an interest for that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote:I do like that idea actually, but what prevents someone from just tunneling around to find bases to blow up? :P
You usually spread out a great deal to prevent that from happening. There's always risk involved mind you, and you're bound to lose a base now and then. What's fun about it is that you have to actively design your bases to avoid detection.

Still, a white-list is a good idea as cheating becomes a major problem. If you have one jerk with an x-ray mod, it basically ruins the game.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

FaceFoiled wrote:The main thing that is troubling me at the moment, is the sodding Bukkit permissions. I just can't get the buggers to work at all.
I might be able to help. I set up servers for a few people a few months ago.

What plugins are you trying to get working?
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Minecraft Bukkit ( v1.8.1, #1185 )
Lockette (1.4.3)
PermissionEx (v1.12)
iConomy (v6.0)
iConomyChestShop (v2.75 (iConomy v6.x)

Very basic idea actually. Iconomy for the currency system, chestshop for player run shops, lockette to secure those chests involved.
I was informed that PermissionEx is the new "best" permission system through the Bukkit forums Unfortunately I just can't seem to get the permissions to take affect at all.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Hey there FaceFoiled, I'd like a chance to play on the server. I'm an absolute nobody here (and everywhere really, I have a habit of lurking on forums but never joining in) and while this may seem like a bad thing, I can at least say say for certain that I have a perfect record. I have joined up a few other servers on Minecraft but I've never stayed because it always turns into single-player with the occasionally <expletive!> What I've looked for is a server where there is at least some semblance of community, and thus I have hopes that your server might deliver. And as my motto goes, it would be a shame to spit in the face of gravity and give my hopes a chance to come back down.

Oh, and as for your permissions trouble...

Ever since I had a falling out with my friend I played with, I haven't done much hosting in recent times, and it does indeed look like some of the permissions systems are different. I did a bit of reading on the PermissionsEx system, so I'll try to summarize what I gleaned, if that doesn't interest you, you can just hop on over to the wiki however. And I apologize if you have already done this and I seem like an arrogant prick.

So from what I gathered, the basis of the system is ranks. You can set different ranks to promote/demote people, and you by default are the admin, with the powers of Zeus on your server. The default people don't have anything special about them. You can set ranks with the command:

/pex group <rank name> create

And you can make it inherit the commands and such of another group (useful for not having to copy the same commands) with:

/pex group <rank name> create <inherited rank>
(I wasn't able to find this specified exactly, so it might not be correct as I inferred it's usage from what was said on the page)

And to add commands to a group can use you type:

/pex group <groupname> add <command>
or you can do many commands at once separated by a period
/pex group <groupname> add <command>.<another command>.<MORE COMMANDS!>

And that is the basics, I apologize if any of this information is incorrect or unhelpful, and I recommend you look through the PermissionsEx wiki if you haven't already.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Did you remember to enable permissions in the config file for the plugin?

So far I've gotten Lockette working. this is what I did:

Go through the basic setup to setup the groups and some basic permissions:
https://github.com/t3hk0d3/PermissionsE ... up-example

Test.

Go into the config for Lockette, and set enable-permissions to true.
The permissions nodes for Lockette are:
lockette.user.create.*
lockette.admin.create.*
lockette.admin.break
lockette.admin.bypass
lockette.admin.snoop
lockette.admin.reload

Just go through those and add them to the appropriate groups using the same commmands used in the Basic Setup.
I gave lockette.user.create.* to Members, and the rest to Moderators. Admin should already have all permissions if you did the Basic Setup.

I didn't do the other plugins yet.

If you still can't get it working then I can set up all of the plugins and send you the config files tomorrow or whenever I get time. Tell me if you want me to do that.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Thanks. :)

The main problem I have, is that the permission files are not being used by bukkit. I went through that link before following the details, but even as listed admin I don't have any permissions.
As far as I can tell it does not matter whether I place the permission details in the /plugins/permissionex/permissions.yml, or in the default permissions file. The bukkit.yml does refer to the permissions file like so: "permissions-file: /plugins/permissionex/permissions.yml" - This was by default set to the normal permissions file.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Self bump!!

Updated the third post in this forum with Plugin information, I got them working!
The problem was most likely caused by the "mass" install of all addons at the same time, and the permissionex was never actuall "in use". It's all good now, and working. Unfortunately I can't really test it as best I'd like, as I was alone tonight :P

Currently planning an addition to the spawn area "Market place" - where you can place a chest in a stall, and sell stuff or buy stuff, so you are not really limited to random chest placements or only in your spawn.

Will update the website tomorrow, zZz time now.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Another shameless self bump, but I do have some information for those playing on the server! =)

I sadly did not have time to update the website yet, as I've been working hard on fixing the plugins etc. I did render a new map, that will be uploaded tonight. As I am going on a shot vacation this weekend, I wanted to get everything working properly and not leave the server hanging. :)

Updates:
All plugins are working perfectly fine now, though I have not yet tested the Chestshops (as I can't use my own shops, though I might do it tonight, as I decided to get Minecraft for my girlfriend as well :P). Details on how to use the plugins are posted in the third post.

You will currently have $30 when you first login, it automatically creates your iConomy account. If it works correctly, you would randomly earn between $25 and $50 every 15 mintues as well if online. The main source of income in the beginning will be from selling items to the "bank". I will create this part tonight :P.

The bank as it is now will be slightly changed, it will still have a section where you could dump stuff for others to take out (though a lot smaller) - but the main of it will be shops - Admin shops (not sure what they are going to be called yet).

You won't be able to buy here, but you can sell your excess materials to get money, which you can later on use to buy items from other players' shops. I have not yet thought of what kind of items would be best to sell and get money out off, or the prices of items. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. =)

In addition I build Market place building - I tried to keep it to the style of the village as it is (created by Cormank) so it's a bit wonky ^_^.. nah it's alright.. :P

It has 3 floors with chests. Feel free to use those chests to create shops for yourself. I made a shop on the first floor with some wool in it. Cost is compeltely random (prolly cheap :P) but was made to test and show how to use it. I thought it would be nice to have the shops in a central place. :)

In addition I figured out how to secure the spawn area - and not obstruct it from being used/build on. There is a region defined around the village as it is now, where hostile mobs cannot spawn, and creepers cannot damage the blocks when they do explode in here. So feel free to use the message boards again, and chop down the massive forrest for a road to battosay's place. :P

If you wish to secure your own property from creepers as well, please let me know and we can work it out. Creeper explosions itself will be active on the rest of the world though, thats part of the game in my opinion. :D
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Can I join? I probably wont play very often because of work and college, but I'd like to see it and play now and then if that's ok.

Also, FC, could you perhaps tell me about a good anarchy server? I've been looking for something like that, but there are just so many I couldn't decide, and since MC takes quite a lot of time, I would't want to get in a bad server/infested with cheaters/empty/insert other problems here. So an advice from someone who plays on these servers would be great
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Can I join? I probably wont play very often because of work and college, but I'd like to see it and play now and then if that's ok.

Also, FC, could you perhaps tell me about a good anarchy server? I've been looking for something like that, but there are just so many I couldn't decide, and since MC takes quite a lot of time, I would't want to get in a bad server/infested with cheaters/empty/insert other problems here. So an advice from someone who plays on these servers would be great
Sorry man, but it's been months since I've played SMP. The old anarchy servers I played on are long gone (I checked a few weeks ago).

The first one I played on had major problems with people using XRay hacks, which is why I eventually quit. The 2nd was well-policed against this kind of thing, but the server disappeared rather shortly after I first joined.

The main thing to do is make sure you have a well policed server before you invest any significant time in it, because if you log back on to find your carefully hidden stash tunneled straight into as if someone just *knew* it was there (I mean with no indication that they even searched anywhere else), I can promise you that you will experience severe frustration :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, just the kind of frustration I was hoping to avoid XD Playing for a long time to have everything stolen by cheaters... I guess I'll just stay on a non-pvp server for now :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

jorgebonafe wrote:Can I join? I probably wont play very often because of work and college, but I'd like to see it and play now and then if that's ok.
You most certainly can. :) Until a point where the average active is getting close to/near the 10 slot limit, I have no problems with adding people. If someone does get added that is just being a dick and destroys people's places, I have no problem booting the person either and helping the grieved player(s) rebuild their stuff if required (but I honestly don't think this would really happen).

So! PM me your Minecraft username, and I'll whitelist etc. and reply with the details. :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Do you have any plans for a money dump? With a regular source of income, and a way to make more through selling to the bank, eventually there'll be some massive inflation going on, to the point that new players won't be able to buy the materials they need (as things like iron, redstone, and diamonds aren't renewable).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire