Love BTW, but want to try 1.8?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Love BTW, but want to try 1.8?

Post by Mason11987 »

So I had brought this up before but finally tested it out a couple days ago.

I have a huge base and farming operation in my BTW game, but I wanted to try out 1.8 and then when BTW is ready simply mod my game and continuing playing as is with everything connected.

Solution:
  • Have your BTW World, and build a nether portal
  • Travel VERY far away, I went 1000 blocks (I dug near the roof to make it easy, steel picks made this really quick, plus you get all the netherrack you'll need.
  • Build a new portal (you can light it)
  • Save while at that portal, make sure no mod blocks (tools or anything) are near you
  • Backup your whole .minecraft folder!
  • fresh jar, update to 1.8
  • go through portal
  • Enjoy the game, when FC puts up an update, you should be able to upgrade then and walk back through your portal to your old base.
I'm currently collecting enough iron in 1.8 to build a minecart track in the nether post-1.8 BTW.
bmanfoley

Re: Love BTW, but want to try 1.8?

Post by bmanfoley »

http://words-from-scarystuff.blogspot.c ... -mods.html

or this. This has been my solution to playing 1.8 and BTW interchangeably
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

bmanfoley wrote:http://words-from-scarystuff.blogspot.c ... -mods.html

or this. This has been my solution to playing 1.8 and BTW interchangeably
I guess, but then you have different worlds, and that was part of the point :).
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Maybe I don't get it but isn't chunk your base is on (and everyplace you have traveled) is still 1/7 map generation? Also you cant use your old base or any BTW items until its patched. What benefit does this have to making a new world and then playing vMC until BTW is updated?
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

the_fodder wrote:Maybe I don't get it but isn't chunk your base is on (and everyplace you have traveled) is still 1/7 map generation? Also you cant use your old base or any BTW items until its patched. What benefit does this have to making a new world and then playing vMC until BTW is updated?
lots of resorces ready for all the new stuff FC is gona release in the next 6 months or so.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Maybe I don't get it but isn't chunk your base is on (and everyplace you have traveled) is still 1/7 map generation? Also you cant use your old base or any BTW items until its patched. What benefit does this have to making a new world and then playing vMC until BTW is updated?
Well, if he's like me, I prefer to have all the "work" I put into the game contribute to my primary world in some way, even if it's just in building up a previously unexplored area.

I think it's the same reason I tend to wander naked into the wilderness when I want to test out a game "from scratch" instead of just starting a new save. I've got little starter areas scattered all over my world now as a result.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I started a new world for 1.8, but not just for 1.8. My brother had nagged me into installing TMI so he could build huge structures of mossy cobblestone and light blocks without any more effort that shift-clicking infini-stacks into his inventory. As a result, I was tempted to use this method of "cheating" in my own constructions in my original world (which had served me well since 1.3). I couldn't help but feel like the element of fun was lost, without having to develop ways to ensure you would have resources for your next big project. It turned a challenging and interesting experience into something like Garry's Mod, which can be fun, but is rather boring, as it gives you everything from the get-go. Plus, I had already progressed through the tech-tree to a point where if felt like building anything new would be a bit pointless and tedious. Starting from scratch gave me an opportunity to re-explore the tech tree, and see if my building skills might improve with some new material to work with.

TL;DR - Playing vMC, on a new world, free of illegitimately-acquired items, has gotten me back into enjoying Minecraft that way it was meant to be. And, what's better, if my brother starts nagging again, I can tell him to play Creative Mode. :P
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

yeah, it's still 1.7, which is good, because it is the gargamel seed. If I want to do wide exploring I'll do it from my 1.8 base, which I'm sure I'll never actually reach where I explored around my 1.7 base.

The benefits of doing this is I brought logs/wood/iron with me into my 1.8 start, enough to make it interesting starting out, and allow me to focus on exploring and still have a safe home. Also this way, when BTW is updated, I can just walk back to my old base and continue with my massive automatic base system with a melon/pumpkin harvesting system, and expand on my extensive organizational system.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Here is my Map, imagine the red line as 5500 pixels (blocks) of nothing I cropped out (that's about three times the width of the BTW area on the right. The 1.8 area is on the left, these are connected with a 1k long nether tunnel:

It's pretty big, so link: http://i.imgur.com/l8CuX.jpg

Spoiler
Show
Unforunatly it looks like somehow a series of chunks were generated along the path of my nether tunnel in the overworld. Don't know if this is a BTW bug or a 1.7 bug, but it happens.