Best ways to get glue?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
phrost

Best ways to get glue?

Post by phrost »

Im a bit stuck on this one. Ive been saving up bones as much as I can, but its just not enough and I never find any slimes to get slime balls, any suggestions?
walker_boh_65

Re: Best ways to get glue?

Post by walker_boh_65 »

there should be a full list on the wiki explaining the numbers that i cant come up with off the top of my head right now
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

leather is your best bet for efficient glue. Come 1.8.x versions, you're probably going to be better with feathers, but thankfully that's not going to be happening too soon.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I used to use leather exclusively but now that cows are rare, the bones fer glue option is probably your best bet. As for slime balls, I've gone down to level 12-13 and started hollowing out 10x10x4 rooms. Dozens of them. After awhile I heard the wet slapping of slimes jumping around and went to beat them up. Now I have a few dozen slimeballs waiting in a chest for the update.

Feathers will work as well but it takes rather a lot of them and so far I've needed all I can get for arrows.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

DaveYanakov wrote: Feathers will work as well but it takes rather a lot of them and so far I've needed all I can get for arrows.
Once we have BTW updated for 1.8 though, battery farming chickens will give a lot of feathers. And chicken, oddly enough. Either way it gets rendered into something.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I wonder what raw chicken would render into. Perhaps bones, that being the best known property of chicken.
Better is the enemy of Good
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

DaveYanakov wrote:I wonder what raw chicken would render into. Perhaps bones, that being the best known property of chicken.
I think tallow makes more sense given pork chops, although chicken meat is a lot less fatty than pork.

You can usually only find slimes by digging out large rooms below level 16 (light them up too), or luck when caving, unless you use the slime finder.

The best bet for glue (this may change in 1.8+) is to either find a skeleton, zombie or spider dungeon (in that order of preference) and make it into a grinder, or build a mob trap (even a small inefficient one, you can always improve it later), then direct it's output directly to your stoked cauldron and it will automatically supply you with all your glue needs.
phrost

Post by phrost »

Wait, leather can be made into glue?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

phrost wrote:Wait, leather can be made into glue?
Yup, at a 1:1 ratio.
phrost

Post by phrost »

Stormweaver wrote:
phrost wrote:Wait, leather can be made into glue?
Yup, at a 1:1 ratio.
Wow, and here I wasted so much time hunting skellys :(
Urian

Post by Urian »

Hunt skellies? That's what my mob trap is for :) No shortage of bones (or any other mob loot) for me.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

wool can be rendered to But at some kind of Insane ration like 16 wool to 1 glue (not the real ration)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stormweaver wrote: Once we have BTW updated for 1.8 though, battery farming chickens will give a lot of feathers.
I don't see how. They'll lay eggs, not feathers. You'll have to kill them to get feathers. And you need a lot of eggs to spawn some chickens, so it's definitely not gonna be a good solution.

I think the best way would be bones, either from a mobtrap or a simple drowner in a skelly dongeon.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Battosay wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: Once we have BTW updated for 1.8 though, battery farming chickens will give a lot of feathers.
I don't see how. They'll lay eggs, not feathers. You'll have to kill them to get feathers. And you need a lot of eggs to spawn some chickens, so it's definitely not gonna be a good solution.

I think the best way would be bones, either from a mobtrap or a simple drowner in a skelly dongeon.
A chicken lays an egg roughly once a minute, and one in 8 eggs creates a chicken. So if you have 8 chickens, that's one raw chicken and ~2 feathers per minute; roughly the same output you'd expect for bones from a smallish mobtrap.

yet there's nothing stopping you from having more chickens. Dark room traps have to increase largely in size to have a higher output, chicken farms just need more chickens crammed into the same space.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh right, I forgot that they changed the delay for chickens to lay eggs.

But still, this is gonna be a "complex" system to build, compared to a spawner trap in a dungeon (given that his question was about the best way to get glue)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Battosay wrote:Oh right, I forgot that they changed the delay for chickens to lay eggs.

But still, this is gonna be a "complex" system to build, compared to a spawner trap in a dungeon (given that his question was about the best way to get glue)
Yeah, might be a bit complex for it to be made fully automatic from the word go. Fits the theme of BTW so much more than a spawner trap though :p
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Battosay wrote:But still, this is gonna be a "complex" system to build
You said it like it's a bad thing. And since I hate mob spawners (they feel like exploiting the loopholes in the game to me) so this is welcome addition to the game for me, though glue is not really an issue for me since I have tons of leather from living near large grassland and going on regular murderous rampages in it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:You said it like it's a bad thing.
Nope, I said it like, when you ask what's the best solution to get glue, this is definitely not the easiest one.
But that's obviously something I'll build once BTW is updated ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Battosay wrote:Nope, I said it like, when you ask what's the best solution to get glue, this is definitely not the easiest one.
But that's obviously something I'll build once BTW is updated ;)
Indeed, I'm currently running one in the background to check its efficiency and planning water ways. I'm still curious how the passive mob spawning has changed and if having such an egg farm might cause problems with other passive mob farms (once we get some working).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Battosay wrote:Oh right, I forgot that they changed the delay for chickens to lay eggs.

I'm not seeing how it'll be a complex system to build at all, really:

A single block with 8 chickens crammed into it, sitting onto pof a mechincally powered hopper. Hopper's dropping the eggs into a dispenser hooked up to a repeating pulse of some kind, which fires them into a active saw above another hopper.

Bing.

That's at least one way i can think of to do it. To make it a bit easier to add chickens into, you could just go with a 2x2 (or a 3x3 with the middle replaced with a pillar of cobblestone so the chickens cant do get there) floor of mechanically powered hoppers, then have them all feeding into a water stream like what'd you'd use to transport goods from from a millstone, with that feeding into the above pulsing-dispenser idea.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Ironically, it's not... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1062
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Mrchaim wrote:I'm not seeing how it'll be a complex system to build at all, really:
-blabla-
Yeah sure, that's so much easier than a dungeon drowner...
MagusUnion wrote:Ironically, it's not... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1062
Ironically, it is.
Asuming that the OP is not very familiar with BTW, he's probably not gonna build something like that.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Battosay wrote: Yeah sure, that's so much easier than a dungeon drowner...
...Touche. I had thought you were meaning a full on mob-trap, not just finding a skeleton spawner and rigging that up to DROWN ALL SKELETONS.

I dunno - I would argue that that's a pretty simple system to build, it doesn't really require any excessive uses of redstone or timing, just laying out some simple mechanical systems. And you can do it anywhere, as compared to needing to find/create a reliable source of skeletons, which either requires a really bloody massive building, or locating a skeleton dungeon (which would be, what, 1 in 3 odds for each dungeon?). The Chicken version would also work all the time, as opposed to "just" when you were near by, although there's advantages/disadvantages to each.

Alt Answer: I have a really bad definition of "Simple" =P (Because, seriously, what i described does not really sound that complex to me. See: Really shitty definition of simple)
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

How do you plan on getting them in there in the first place?
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

sargunster wrote:How do you plan on getting them in there in the first place?
The chickens?

...By throwing eggs. As it is, in my current world i have a free-range chicken farm where i just wander past and grab any eggs that are around. Then i throw them, kill any chickens that come out, and wander off. Simple! /struckbylightingboltforhubris

But you'd only need one chicken to start your seed population going - once you reach 8, or whatever number you want, you can just engage the rest of the system for delcious chicken murder, rather than saving the eggs.

That or a fishing rod, but that's a hell of a lot more annoying.