Looks like there will be Alchemy in vMC 1.9

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DocLazy

Re: Looks like there will be Alchemy in vMC 1.9

Post by DocLazy »

DaveYanakov wrote: Minecraft would be a lot better as an engine, I think, if Notch focused on making a world building sandbox first and then put his full focus on making a game that works in it.
This^^

He started out that way and it was the reason I bought the game, for the sandbox building/tinkering aspect. While adventuring/spelunking/exploring are fun, it doesn't take very long before you get bored.

Notch has a bad habit of second guessing his design decisions. Like when he first said he wouldn't add an experience point system.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

I think, these alchemy features like potions are really welcoming feature for 1.9

Simply put, current vMC, there isn't much things to do other than, really, building stuffs.

Potions are very first 'complex manufacturing' features ever presented on minecraft, and I really like it since I can build more buildings which will have purpose to be built.

Minecraft is already very well-made sandbox, and I really doubt there are any more improvements can be done on that part.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

Lighthouse wrote:Simply put, current vMC, there isn't much things to do other than, really, building stuffs.

Potions are very first 'complex manufacturing' features ever presented on minecraft, and I really like it since I can build more buildings which will have purpose to be built.
I very much agree with this. While I do play Minecraft for it basically being a big box of Legos, that works better in a mode where you have unlimited blocks and can just build. In normal mode, I do enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that everything I built I took the time to gather the materials for. However, it irks me that there are so many things that you just can't do much with. I'm one of those folks who never leaves anything lying on the ground. I put it all in chests. I play Better Than Wolves for the added functionality and added challenge, but I also use a couple of other mods that are all about making various items useful.

Honestly, I'd like it if pretty much every item and block in the game had 2-3 uses so that there was more purpose to things.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The concept of the 'mix a dose, pick it up to check it, drop back in and add ingredient to mix another dose' potion research mechanic really excites me. Even moreso if ingredient effects would be randomly generated by the seed. ie Sugar in one map would add add water breathing as a second ingredient while on your other map it would add a hunger debuff.

If they really do turn it into a 'look up recipe on wiki, make more than you can ever use with five minutes of work' it will be extremely disappointing.
Better is the enemy of Good