BTW Engineer Academy (Interactive Map) (WIP)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
diegokilla

BTW Engineer Academy (Interactive Map) (WIP)

Post by diegokilla »

So this is just the start of my new project that I will be working on. Right now all I have to share is this short vid of the first portion of the map. As soon as I get a a few more things done I will UL the map, with some basic instructions, possibly a recipe list and such. I also plan to display a recipe visually in game somehow, of each part as you need to craft it.
This Map will be intended for players that are brand spankin new to BTW, to give them a better idea of how things work, and how some of the mechanics operate.

I currently have the video as "Unlisted" on youtube, as it's a very preliminary version. Any feedback/ideas/whatever is appreciated!

BTW Engineer Acadmey for Beginner's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZK4K1_U83M
(I suggest watching in HD, else you might not be able to read the signs)
Galeshi

Re: BTW Engineer Academy (Interactive Map) (WIP)

Post by Galeshi »

I like it! A nice tutorial world would be great for people new to BTW.

The only way I could think of showing designs would be to have a chest for each recipe, and arranging the items in the way of the form of the recipe, within the various chests.
SecretBman

Post by SecretBman »

This is a great idea for people just starting out with this mod.
Rekablade

Post by Rekablade »

As someone that is relatively new to this mod I would greatly appreciate tutorial videos that explain and show how things work and how to get stuff to work together. Also having voice in tutorial videos would be nice.
IMHO Engineer Academy sounds like a good name for tutorial videos ^^ start simple and work up ^^

I know there are decent tutorial videos but I cant really find any that people commentate (voice) what they are doing and what is going on.

But, this also sounds like a good idea, it is sort of a training ground, if you continue to expand on this I would recommend also starting small so people understand why they are doing something and how to do it and how to get certain items.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Rekablade wrote:As someone that is relatively new to this mod I would greatly appreciate tutorial videos that explain and show how things work and how to get stuff to work together. Also having voice in tutorial videos would be nice.
IMHO Engineer Academy sounds like a good name for tutorial videos ^^ start simple and work up ^^

I know there are decent tutorial videos but I cant really find any that people commentate (voice) what they are doing and what is going on.

But, this also sounds like a good idea, it is sort of a training ground, if you continue to expand on this I would recommend also starting small so people understand why they are doing something and how to do it and how to get certain items.
Thanks for the feedback!
I will get voice in the next video, I didn't have my good mic on at the time, and I wont record voice in video without it :P
I agree with the "start small" mentality, and plan to use it. My in this one is to show a contraption, have them do something minor to fix it, then basically have it broken down into seperate pieces. Basically like this:
Here's something cool you can make! (Crane)
Here's what's in it (pulley sytem, brake system, direction control system, power)
Urian

Post by Urian »

It looks good! With the ever increasing amount of utilities that BTW provides us, I think that new people to the mod might be a bit overwhelmed at first with all the possibilities so it's a good idea to have something that explains some of the uses in a basic (and humorous :p ) way to get them started.

What texture pack is it that you use?
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Urian wrote:It looks good! With the ever increasing amount of utilities that BTW provides us, I think that new people to the mod might be a bit overwhelmed at first with all the possibilities so it's a good idea to have something that explains some of the uses in a basic (and humorous :p ) way to get them started.

What texture pack is it that you use?
It's johnsmith with the johnsmith BTW addon that Melstrome made (He does the custom texture pack for our server)
you can find it on the BTW wiki
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

If I may ask, would you mind if I did an instructional dub of it if you release the workshop publicly?

I've got a hankering to get my Cave Johnson here.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

KWilt wrote:If I may ask, would you mind if I did an instructional dub of it if you release the workshop publicly?

I've got a hankering to get my Cave Johnson here.
Go for it :D I set it to public use as far as youtube is concerned, but thanks for asking first :)
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

A quick update on the progress of the map:

Jeff's Workshop (should i rename to steve??)
*Fixing the crane gives u acess
Spoiler
Show
first room inside:
Spoiler
Show
second room inside:
Spoiler
Show
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Really excited for this! I'm still very behind the rest of the pack when it comes to mechanical power. The video looks like an excellent beginning. Progress pics looks good too. :)