Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Days 10-14)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Adjudicator79

Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Days 10-14)

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Exile

The ink on the order for my exile had hardly dried and yet the guards had already bundled me into my oh-so-familiar jail-on-wheels and taken me to the dock. The King’s command had banished me “forthwith” and the Vizier was taking no chances on the King realizing exactly who it was he had banished and why.

A long sword prodded me out of my mobile prison and onto a small ship, with a crew of barely a dozen, where four guards awaited to take me to my exile. For over three weeks they sailed the small ship across the water until finally the distant and unfamiliar shore grew to include the entire landscape. My wife, my son, my parents, all were left behind me in the Kingdom. And I knew if I tried to return without the King’s blessing, the Vizier would have them executed before I could plead my case. If I even would be able to do that.

There seemed to be nothing for it but to survive on this distant land until the political winds changed. My jailers pushed me to shore without even so much as a loaf of bread. As I stumbled past them, one of the crewman slipped this journal into my pack. Maybe one day my son will read my words and understand the truth of his father’s exile.

Day 1:

The sun had reached the tops of the trees on the sandy shoreline when the guards pushed me onto land.
Spoiler
Show
Since all I had in my possession was a pack and this journal, I knew the immediate priority was shelter and food. Water, thankfully, seems plentiful, with a river emptying into the ocean nearby and several springs not far from shore. A quick taste confirmed them as fresh water. And it wasn’t even a glass or two before noon when I found livestock roaming wild. Either people had attempted to settle here before, and their stock had gone wild, or the pigs, sheep, and cattle had simply migrated and reproduced from other human settlements.

I followed the river inland, stopping to gather some mushrooms I found on a hillside, and breaking the tops off of some sugarcane I found on one of the marshy banks.
Spoiler
Show
As I walked, I kept an eye out for anything I could use to make some basic tools. I knew I’d need to dig out a shelter for my first night, and I started collecting some deadfall, both to use as fuel for a fire, if I could get one started, and as a tool to dig with. I lucked across an old lightning struck tree, where I found enough kindling and, even better, a three foot long branch just the right size to be a handle. A shard of rock hammered into the split end of the branch gave me a rough shovel to work with.

A darkness in the side of a hill near the river attracted my attention and some work with my shove soon revealed a natural cave. There was a natural spring inside that seemed to have flooded the cavern floor, but the water was fresh. It must drain out into the river somehow.
Spoiler
Show
Several hours worth of work later and I had managed to use some sand from the riverbank to contain the spring to a few square feet. The sun was definitely sinking lower into the horizon, so I quickly scavenged the area for any heavier branches I could use to keep a fire going over night. With several hours of daylight and dusk left, I retreated into my makeshift shelter and started going about the process of lighting a fire. It took until dusk before I finally managed to fan some sparks into a true flame and got the fire strong enough to lick up the edges of the heftier branches I had collected. Once I knew the fire would stay lit, I took a flaming branch with me towards the back of the cavern and made sure I wasn’t going to be disturbing any wild animals.

Confirming I was alone, I settled down by the fire for a restless night.
Spoiler
Show
Day 2
Last edited by Adjudicator79 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
duartemad

Re: Exile: A Minecraft Journal

Post by duartemad »

This is awsome, I enjoyed reading it!
Still working on mine, from my prespective not from steve's.
Good luck with your journal and keep updating it!
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

That was a very fun read, I like the setting and feel you're creating. Looking forward to reading more!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

F5... F5... F5... Damn, not updated! Great work :)
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Day 1

Day 2:
I slept poorly through the night. Random, strange noises assailed me from all directions. Most of them were identifiable as various livestock or simply the wind through the trees. I just am not used to this place. After so many years in the city, the sound of nature’s melody pushes me back to my childhood days in the countryside. I’ll be thankful for that experience, though, I’m sure.

The sun crept slowly up over the horizon to reveal a few sheep scattered around the hillside and riverbank.
Spoiler
Show
I must remember to keep an eye out for any tufts of wool they might leave behind. Some textiles are going to be vitally important in the coming weeks and months. But that will have to wait.

Food is an absolute priority. The mushrooms taste fine, roasted on a flat rock over the coals of last night’s fire. I’ve got to keep that going long enough for me to find some flint to use as a reliable fire starter. The sugarcane was sweet, but while it gave me a brief burst of energy, I need real sustenance. Ideally, I should start growing some crops. But realistically, that will take time and resources I don’t have yet. Fresh meat will have to do. Maybe I can find something to use to make a fishing line and fish the river as well.

There are several cattle wandering the hillside, heading to the river to drink. I could live for a week off of the beef one small calf could fetch me. But I have no way to kill them. A brief experiment with a thrown rock shows that I have nowhere near enough strength to kill them quickly, and they flee from the source of any injury. I won’t attack again until I know I can kill one. I don’t want them to learn to fear this area. Maybe a pit trap?

I found another stand of mushrooms, red and white spotted, this time.
Spoiler
Show
Maybe I can make some stew. This second type of mushroom is much meatier than the first. Almost enough to make a sandwich out of on its own. I need to remember to keep the seeds and see if I can grow the mushrooms in my cave. The damp environment from the spring might be just what they need.

I found a lone flower growing on a hillside across the river and it made me stop and weep. I used to gather some just like it for my wife on my way home. I took several minutes to carefully scoop it out of the earth and wade back across the river and transplant it outside of the cave. I miss you, darling!
Spoiler
Show
I stumbled across a hen roosting late in the afternoon. My stomach reacted before my brain and I grabbed it and wrung its neck in an instant. I should have waited! The two eggs could have been my food and the hen would have kept producing. I took the eggs, along with some feathers from the hen and the little meat I could cut free with my stone “shovel’s” edge.

This is getting frustrating. I cannot stray far from the cave for fear of the fire going out. It makes any chance at real foraging or exploration impossible. I rebuilt the fire with the deadfall I had been gathering from the woods all day. The trees grow straight and tall here, maybe I can find a way to actually make use of that? Stone blades to cut them down? I despair to think of the hours it will take to put an edge on a stone axe!

I cooked the chicken on the same flat rock I used to roast the mushrooms this morning, balanced precariously against the side of the logs themselves. It came out terribly. Burnt on one side, barely cooked on the other.
Spoiler
Show
But it was edible. I must have looked like a savage, tearing into the meat, juices running down my chin. I cleaned up in the spring, unwilling to soil the pages of this journal. It’s amazing that after two days, this book has already become my most precious possession.

I tried to use the shovel to scoop out a depression in the sand near the fire by the spring. It’s already starting to fall apart. Tomorrow I must find a way to craft better tools!

Day 3
Last edited by Adjudicator79 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

This is a lovely story so far. I look forward to reading more!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
blithen

Post by blithen »

This is fantastic, I can't wait to read day 3. :)
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Fantastic. I just clicked that you're playing 1.8. Looking forward to seeing day 3 as well!
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Day 2

Day 3

Another fitful night. I can’t let the fire die down and I keep hearing noises outside that I can’t identify. By the time the sun was rising, I had already had another two mushrooms to break my fast and was ready to make my cave a little more livable.

Earlier yesterday I spotted a nice section of log, nearly as big around as my arms in a circle and the one side was almost completely flat. It took me nearly to mid-morning, but I dragged it into the cave against the back wall. It will be useable as a makeshift workbench to get some better tools.
Spoiler
Show
Dragging that monster into the cave was a ton of work and left me covered in mud and sand from pulling it across the river. I decided to clean myself off in the river and made a wonderful discovery - clay! There seems to be several feet of a deposit on the riverbank directly outside the cave entrance.
Spoiler
Show
I can’t get at all of it right now, too tired to hold my breath that long, but I was able to get several large chunks and I have an idea of making an oven or some kind of contained fire with it.

I got a rough furnace cobbled together out of river-smoothed rocks and the clay. I will leave it to dry and bake in the sun for the rest of today before I use it, but it should make keeping the cave warm and cooking much easier!
Spoiler
Show
I spent the rest of the day trying to get some better tools constructed. The makeshift shovel snapped digging out the heavy, wet clay from the riverbank, so I concentrated on a new shovel. I also saw some black scarring on the outside of a cliff-face just down the river. I’m hoping it’s coal. So I got myself a nice, long, pointy rock and used some long strands of inner bark to tie together a rough pickaxe. Tomorrow I’ll go “mining” and by the time I come back, the furnace should be ready to use.

I checked on the eggs before turning in for the night. I have high hopes for these chicks. Hopefully one will be a rooster, otherwise I’ll be raising them for food instead of a steady egg supply.
Spoiler
Show
One more night of tending the open fire and then the furnace should change everything!

Day 4
Last edited by Adjudicator79 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battlecat

Re: Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Day 3)

Post by Battlecat »

Love it! At least you seem to be avoiding the really dangerous monsters so far!
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Thank you alot for sharing your adventures with us. I enjoy reading it very much :).
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Hi there,

You never fail to amaze with the projects you create, Adjudicator79. After enjoying the Design Philosophy Thread so much, this should provide a more relaxing read. Thank you!
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Day 3

Day 4

I slept much better tonight and woke excited to go out and find my way to some coal for the furnace. I actually found the spot I had seen fairly easily, just over the bend in the river and around a hill. There’s a spot where it looks like the river overflowed the bank and cut away the dirt from the base of the hill, exposing the rock beneath. I found several usable chucks of coal, which should last me quite some time. Hooray for cooked meals!
Spoiler
Show
On my way back, I spotted some plants that looked suspiciously like wheat. I grabbed several seeds from the plant and brought them back. With the new stable platform to work from, creating a hoe was relatively easy. In fact, I tilled several patches of ground near the river, fenced them in with some deadwood I collected from the forest floor, and planted the seeds.
Spoiler
Show
Hopefully I’ll have the ability to grow some wheat in a few days. I have no idea how I’ll grind it without a millstone, but maybe I can use the surface of my new workbench? We’ll see.

With coal, some wheat planted, a workbench, and a furnace, I decided it was time to get serious about my ability to make use of the wood in this forest. I spent most of the day sharpening two nicely shaped rocks for use as axes. I nearly lost one when it struck too hard on my sharpening stone and jumped out of my hand. I was sitting by the river and the damnable thing nearly sank to the bottom. Only a quick scramble into the brisk water saved me. I retreated into the cave to be a little more careful about losing several hours of work. As dusk fell, I had managed to turn both chunks of rock into useable axe heads. Some work with branches and reeds gave me rough axes that should be good enough to create better tools, especially turning branches into actual handles for my makeshift stone implements.

Just before night came, I took one of the axes out and did my best to collect some rough wood.
Spoiler
Show
I chopped enough to get some useable sections. At this rate, I’ll be able to move out of my cave and into a rough log cabin after just a few days of work. That might give me enough time to grow my wheat and maybe start collecting some animals to raise.

My egg hatched! Just as I was lighting the furnace for the first time, out popped a wee chick. I’m going to have to eventually build a pen for her, but she’ll come in handy, if I can find myself a rooster! With the furnace cured and settled into the cave (very carefully!), the workbench, the basic tools it allows, and my miniature farm, I feel like I’ve actually got a foothold on survival in this desolate place.
Spoiler
Show
Days 5-9
Last edited by Adjudicator79 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brethern

Re: Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Day 4)

Post by Brethern »

Interesting Can't wait till we see how BTW fits in.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

The way your describing everything makes me feel that vMC is actually too easy... like think about it throw a log onto a crafting slot and instantly get 4 planks? I think there should be a time related aspect like your describing... make it semi realistic...
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

I agree too, deepsniper. But I sacrificed a certain amount of realism for narrative flow. Storytelling requires a framework and I chose a journal framework. It led to certain events that would take much longer in reality being condensed. I'm not sure I'm happy with how that is going.

I think what I might do is start skipping days. Maybe go from Day 4 to Day 11, when I've finished a big project and have something to point to. It will break the daily journal framework, but might increase the believability of the story in a way that serves the overall general narrative goal.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Nah man I really like this system and It makes me remember a bit of civilization or the age of empire games because when you start it takes forever to get to one point but when you get higher it gets better sure the different tools are great but It should be more than just that I feel but hey keep up the good work these journals really make it more interesting for me at work :)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Very nice story! Sometimes I wish I were at least a little bit more creative ....
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Go with the flow. If nothing major happens for a couple of story "Days" then skip entries. All that matters is that the story is fantastic!
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Day 4

Days 5-9:

Day 5:
I have spent the last several days making good use of my new axes. Originally, I had planned to fell some of the smaller trees standing in the woods nearby and use them to lay the foundation for a rough cabin of sorts. But the reality is that I wanted the structure on the top of the nearby hill, which I found on one of my foraging days, and I simply do not have enough strength on my own to drag them up.
Spoiler
Show
The hillside has four trees that I plan on using for the cabin.
I spent an entire day simply getting a single log, not even long enough for full length of the cabin, up the hill. After spending the morning chopping it down, incredibly difficult to do with my makeshift axe, and then wrestling it up the hill, I realized that I simply couldn’t place it on the ground as is. So I went out, collecting larger stone slabs to serve as a foundation for the cabin. I managed to find some sandstone where the ocean gives way to the river, as well as some larger slabs that worked to balance out a floor. The rest I filled in with as large a collection of rocks as I could find, giving it a cobbled appearance. It’s patchwork, but it should keep the damp out.
Spoiler
Show
By the time I finished the foundation, night had fallen and it was back to the cave to eat mushrooms and tend the furnace.

Day 6:
The next morning I wrestled that log I had dragged to the top of the hill into place, and then proceeded to find other solid enough logs on the hillside itself to use as the first level. I figured if I can get the bottom level of the cabin done well, the rest can be a bit more patchwork. By the end of the day, I had a rhythm down and had put up four full courses. At this rate, two more days should see me finished! I came back to find a pig had eaten the shoots of one of my wheat plants. The good news is that I managed to trap him in a little pool on the riverside. He was small, but pork chops were great tonight!

Days 7-8:
I was almost spot on in my estimation. Two full days later, I’ve gotten all of the remaining courses finished. It got more difficult when I had to start getting the section of tree up onto the top of a wall taller than I am. But I was determined to have some head space in this cabin, and some room for the smoke to drift out. I still need to put on a roof of some kind, and I’m afraid it is going to have to be a sod roof, since I’m too anxious to move out of the cave and into the cabin. I’ve been hearing some strange noises from beyond the dirt wall in the back of the cavern and I want out of there as fast as I can.
Spoiler
Show
Day 9:
I can’t believe how long it took me to put a roof on this thing! I don’t know how they used to do it in the olden days, but I don’t have a bucket to carry things in. I cobbled together a crude wooden bowl large enough to haul up a decent amount of dirt, but it was a tedious process. And I ended up dredging some more clay from the riverbank to pack together the long branches I used as the base for the sod roof. It ended up being incredibly thick, with the wood needing several layers to keep the dirt from sifting through into the house at the first sign of rain. But it looks to be holding. Once I have the furnace going inside, I’m hoping the heat and smoke will cause the clay mixed in with the branches to harden and serve as a makeshift plaster.
Spoiler
Show
I spent the remainder of the day transferring my few possessions to the cabin. I replaced my makeshift stump with a much better workbench. The axes made that much easier. And the furnace I floated across the river on a large section of wood I had trimmed to plank-like straightness on one side. Getting it up the hillside in one piece was difficult, but worth it!
Spoiler
Show
Of course, I realized by the time night was falling that I forgot to make a door of any kind! For now, I’ll make do with a log blocking the entrance, since I’m not going to spend another night in that cave! The noises are getting worse. I hope I’m not losing my mind already!

Days 10-14
Last edited by Adjudicator79 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveYanakov

Re: Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Days 5-9)

Post by DaveYanakov »

Please, take all the artistic license you like. This series and your realism interpretation has been a fantastically entertaining read.
Better is the enemy of Good
Keyalha

Post by Keyalha »

You sir did a great job into making Minecraft into real survival!
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Days 5-9

Days 10-14:

Day 10:
The cabin is useable, but it’s drafty, the roof leaks (either rain or dirt), and my furnace doesn’t appear to be holding up very well after the move. I almost toppled it last night cooking on the surface. The clay simply didn’t get hot enough in the sun to properly fire it. It did, however give me an idea. I plan to make bricks! It’s a simple enough formula. Clay plus mud plus straw plus heat equals brick.

So I took my newest shovel and went to work on the riverbank, wandering up and own the stream looking for clay deposits. After the entire morning doing this, I had loaded a nifty little raft with enough clay to make a decent start of things. Mud is plentiful along the riverbank, and there’s enough tall grass in the forest to lend me the equivalent of straw needed to give the mixture some internal stability. In fact, my biggest problem is the size of the furnace and the need for fuel. My coal is running low and I can only properly fire one clay brick at a time. And I had to chop up quite a bit of my remaining supply of wood for the furnace to keep it going.

While I waited for the bricks to fire in the furnace, I started working on turning some of my wood into useable building material. It’s back-breaking work, as my rough stone blade is simply not a saw. It can chop down a tree, but making a plank is incredibly difficult. I managed to make about half a dozen of them, each roughly three feet long, out of an eight foot section of log. Trying to make them any longer than that simply wasted wood, as I have no way of keeping the scraping/peeling motion level. I’m basically just chipping away at each side, trying to make a flat surface and then hoping to split the log down the center to give me another flat side.

By the end of the day, I had nearly a dozen bricks fired and eight planks. It’ll be a slow progression, but I think it’s worth the effort.
Spoiler
Show
Day 11:
With time and practice, I found that I was able to spot the grain in the wood and use my axe to create a fairly straight split in each log. It left me with a lot less material from each piece I gathered, and it only works on the dried wood, I can’t do it with the stuff that’s still green on the inside, but it let me collect a lot more useable planks. Enough that I’m probably going to build an actual structure out of the things, rather than try to turn the small amount of clay and mud I have into a real brick house.

It makes me kind of depressed. Does focusing on building a house, one that I want to make a permanent structure, one that I can live in comfortably, does that mean that I’ve given up on going home? Have I resigned myself to my exile?

I don’t know.

I cut planks and fire bricks and try to remember what my son’s face looks like, the smell of my wife’s hair as we drifted off to sleep in the chill of the night. It’s harder to do today than it was yesterday.

Day 12:
I worked hard today. The stack of useable planks behind the cabin is growing. It’s nearly six feet high now and close to ten feet long. My collection of bricks is coming along nicely too. Tomorrow I’m going to scout for a place to build. I want to stay relatively close to the river, I need the water, but I want some height. I need to be able to see the land around me.
Spoiler
Show
Day 13:
I think I found a place that will work. The hill that I dug the coal out of is actually quite tall. In fact, there’s a slope on the back side, which is what the front must have looked like before the river cut it away. It’s tall enough that I can even see the sand of the beaches by the ocean, still several hours down the shore from where I was dropped off, so not immediately accessible by the Vizier’s men, and with a great view to warn me if they are coming. I can see both my old cave and the rough cabin from here.
Spoiler
Show
The back of the hill’s crest looks out over the forest and some more hills. I headed towards them, content to spend the rest of the day exploring, taking a break from the mud and the axe. The bricks and planks will be waiting for me on my return.

I found the end of the river. It empties out into a beautiful lagoon about an hour’s walk from the hilltop. It overlooks a large field and there are an astounding number of wild animals around. I might very well go into sheep herding, as many of the creatures as there are wandering around wild. There are also a couple of caves into the cliffside and into the heart of the earth itself that I want to explore.
Spoiler
Show
If I can find some more coal, it would make things so much easier. I’ll have used up the last of it on the bricks tomorrow and after that, it will take much more work to get the furnace hot enough to truly fire the clay into something close to bricks.

With evening fading, I made my way back to the cabin. I’ll spend tomorrow making more planks and bricks and then start hauling them up to the top of the hill. I’m not sure what I’m going to build there, but I’ve got some time to figure it out. It will take me several days more to get even close to the number of planks I need. I’m having to go further and further out into the forest to find dead wood that will split easily. And hauling them back to the cavern is tough. At least the planks are easier to carry.

Oh what I wouldn’t give to have some rope. I could rig a rough block and tackle atop the hill and simply haul the planks up that way!

Day 14:
My hands have become callused enough that I couldn’t feel the splinters they kept collecting while hauling my planks to the top of the hill. That doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. I still miss my family. And I still struggle with how I’m going to get back to them. But there is a sense of pride, of accomplishment in realizing that I can make this work. That my ability to exist is not dependent on a city, or a king, or a market. I can survive and I can thrive.

I made a mallet and used the wonderfully straight and uniform branches of the nearby birch trees to craft several pegs that I will use to hold the planks together. And I’ve decided to use some of the bricks for the foundation. It won’t be very deep, but I don’t have to worry as much about water up on the hilltop.

I spent the rest of the day clearing the hilltop of the few trees it held and the brush surrounding them. Another rough shovel (I really have to find a way to make better tools), smoothed out the worst of the uneven patches. I lined a small section of the hilltop with some of the finished bricks and got a great result. They shift a little on the dirt surface beneath them, but that will fade in time as the pressure of the walls and my walking on them packs the cracks with dirt. I think it will be far more stable than the rough patchwork of stone I used in the first cabin. It still seems odd to have finished one “house” only to begin on a second, but the last few nights in the first cabin have confirmed it just isn’t working. I guess one truly must fail before one can succeed.
Spoiler
Show
Battlecat

Re: Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Days 10-14)

Post by Battlecat »

Great read as always. The piles of building materials is a neat extra touch!
Damion Rayne

Re: Exile: A Minecraft Journal (Updated: Days 10-14)

Post by Damion Rayne »

Battlecat wrote:Great read as always. The piles of building materials is a neat extra touch!
Much agreed! Very very nice!
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"