1.8 Officially Released !!!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
emmasteadman

1.8 Officially Released !!!

Post by emmasteadman »

1.8 is officially out !!!

Hurry back FC and update our mod :P
Noodlerex

Re: 1.8 Officially Released !!!

Post by Noodlerex »

The audacity of this Voldemort post!
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

FC's not coming back until Sunday, and even if he was coming back sooner, we'd still have to wait for Modloader and Forge to be updated.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

Ya I know, vMC just feels incomplete without our much loved mod ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

It seems like MCP is already well underway and I'm guessing Modloader is nearly done. Forge will be another beast, but I'm guessing that everything will be ready by next week.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

To be honnest im kinda nervous of the new worlds how are they?
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Deepsniper wrote:To be honnest im kinda nervous of the new worlds how are they?
They're fun as far as I'm concerned. :)
In what way are you nervous? What do you think they'll do?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Tekei wrote:

I'm worried about being stuck in a desert with no way out and no way to find our precious wolves without putting in some self-developed mods...
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

What the...where did they pull this from? o.O

They only released the pre-release v2 like yesterday and it was still buggy o.=
Is it even any different to that?

Still...nice I guess o.o
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Meh, I don't care about it until the forge mods update . I just have to make sure I don't hit the "yes" button, which is a serious risk ...
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Deepsniper wrote:
Tekei wrote:

I'm worried about being stuck in a desert with no way out and no way to find our precious wolves without putting in some self-developed mods...
Yeah wolves can probably be a pain in the ass. decided to start a new world now that the official release is out. We'll see how I manage.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Well I have put together an expensive mod Item that when used will spawn you an untamed wolf.... Just gotta wait till the new modloader and MCP are out so i can use them...
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I've been thinking about passive mobs not respawning etc. Does anyone know why this is happening? There's nothing in the official patch notes about it. I just started a new world and I'm kinda panicking since I've yet to find iron (so now bucket for transporting water for farming) and I don't wanna kill off the animals until I know how this works. I guess I'll have to live off of zombie flesh for now...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

emmasteadman wrote:1.8 is officially out !!!

Look, I'm in a particularly good mood as a result of my vacation, and I think that's being reflected in how I am responding to people's posts.

"Update nowz!" messages are probably amongst the most annoying that a mod author receives.

I really don't care if you are joking or not, I don't want to hear it. It's becoming apparent to me that my passion for the mod is once again returning and I don't want that jeoprodized by these kinds of comments.

I don't care if you are joking or not, or how it is phrased. Messages like the above are from now on an insta-ban offense as they threaten my continuing desire to work on Better Than Wolves.

You have been warned. I have heard so much of this shit in the past that there is simply no way to joke about it with me in a manner that won't piss me off. Just don't do it.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:there is simply no way to joke about it with me in a manner that won't piss me off
Challenge accepted.
:p
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Don't do that >.> it makes you hungry very fast.
What I can think of:
prey on the NPC villages free wheat
kill a spider or two, you just need 2 strings (you can also get string, by destroying spiderweb blocks with sword, but once you get into an abandoned mineshaft, you'll get plenty of iron, maybe some wheat or bread from the chests too), then you can make a fishing rod
if you're close to a marsh biome, you'll find a ton of brown mushrooms, and some red mushrooms too -> stew
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Tekei wrote:I've been thinking about passive mobs not respawning etc. Does anyone know why this is happening? There's nothing in the official patch notes about it. I just started a new world and I'm kinda panicking since I've yet to find iron (so now bucket for transporting water for farming) and I don't wanna kill off the animals until I know how this works. I guess I'll have to live off of zombie flesh for now...
From some quick testing with a world that has a known good passive mob spawner - it looks like they were broken in 1.8. I remember reading one of jeb_'s Twitter posts that said something to the effect that there'll be a limited number of passive mobs that will spawn per chunk.

However, there's alternatives for almost everything that you'd get from a passive spawner:

food for wolf: zombies drop rotten flesh, which the vanilla dogs can eat without problems
food for self: wheat/melon farms, fishing
leather for armor: you can use iron (steel once BTW updates)
eggs/milk: well, no use for these in vMC or BTW besides cake

leather/feathers for glue: you can still use bones
food for tallow: we haven't seen a use for it yet, but FC might add rotten flesh on to the items that you can make it from
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

Wolf in the hen house, anyone?

Be excellent to each other.
Party on, FlowerChild.
I'll be waiting patiently.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

FlowerChild wrote:
emmasteadman wrote:1.8 is officially out !!!

Look, I'm in a particularly good mood as a result of my vacation, and I think that's being reflected in how I am responding to people's posts.

"Update nowz!" messages are probably amongst the most annoying that a mod author receives.

I really don't care if you are joking or not, I don't want to hear it. It's becoming apparent to me that my passion for the mod is once again returning and I don't want that jeoprodized by these kinds of comments.

I don't care if you are joking or not, or how it is phrased. Messages like the above are from now on an insta-ban offense as they threaten my continuing desire to work on Better Than Wolves.

You have been warned. I have heard so much of this shit in the past that there is simply no way to joke about it with me in a manner that won't piss me off. Just don't do it.
No worries FC, I obviously meant the posting in jest to be taken lightly, the best things comes to those who are patient...it was in no way meant to be a demand of any kind. :(
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Katalliaan wrote:
Tekei wrote:I've been thinking about passive mobs not respawning etc. Does anyone know why this is happening? There's nothing in the official patch notes about it. I just started a new world and I'm kinda panicking since I've yet to find iron (so now bucket for transporting water for farming) and I don't wanna kill off the animals until I know how this works. I guess I'll have to live off of zombie flesh for now...
From some quick testing with a world that has a known good passive mob spawner - it looks like they were broken in 1.8. I remember reading one of jeb_'s Twitter posts that said something to the effect that there'll be a limited number of passive mobs that will spawn per chunk.

However, there's alternatives for almost everything that you'd get from a passive spawner:

food for wolf: zombies drop rotten flesh, which the vanilla dogs can eat without problems
food for self: wheat/melon farms, fishing
leather for armor: you can use iron (steel once BTW updates)
eggs/milk: well, no use for these in vMC or BTW besides cake

leather/feathers for glue: you can still use bones
food for tallow: we haven't seen a use for it yet, but FC might add rotten flesh on to the items that you can make it from
I know there are alternatives to the food. That is not what worries me in the long run. What DOES worry me however, is the fact that I don't have any of my old worlds (since I wanted to start over from scratch) and without a reliable leather supply I think I'll have problems with getting started with BTW once it is updated.
Also, gather wool might be difficult, but with the abandoned mines I guess i could just craft it from all the string you get from the cobwebs.
I guess I'll manage though and I'll try to keep a few mobs in a fenced area for future breeding or something.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

This is part of the 1.8 changes, it was always on the cards, however animal breeding isn't coming till 1.9.

One animal however can be farmed...chickens! The egg drop rate has increased a lot, and you can get new chickens from the eggs, it's something that can even be easily automated with BTW.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

gftweek wrote:
This is part of the 1.8 changes, it was always on the cards, however animal breeding isn't coming till 1.9.

One animal however can be farmed...chickens! The egg drop rate has increased a lot, and you can get new chickens from the eggs, it's something that can even be easily automated with BTW.
I know breeding is part of 1.9 and I'm actually quite excited for that but there are two things that just don't make sense to me. Why remove the respawning prematurely if your not gonna add breeding until the next patch. And why remove it and NOT post it in the patch notes. It just makes it seem more like a bug than anything intentional.

And are you sure chickens still spawn from eggs? I threw 13 of them into the ground and nothing happened. :( (That was in 1.8 pre-release 1 though)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

emmasteadman wrote: No worries FC, I obviously meant the posting in jest to be taken lightly, the best things comes to those who are patient...it was in no way meant to be a demand of any kind. :(
Don't sweat it man. After checking the MC forums, then here, I just wanted to take a firm stance on this stuff in anticipation of at least a week of update-demand nonsense.

Sorry for singling out your post in particular. It's much more of a general statement that I was making.

But, to repeat, I'm basically going zero tolerance on this stuff, as this will likely be the longest, and thus the most hellish (in terms of people whining), update cycle that the mod has gone through yet. I anticipate probably having to ask for the MC forum thread to be locked before this is through.
Alexia

Post by Alexia »

I know breeding is part of 1.9 and I'm actually quite excited for that but there are two things that just don't make sense to me. Why remove the respawning prematurely if your not gonna add breeding until the next patch. And why remove it and NOT post it in the patch notes. It just makes it seem more like a bug than anything intentional.

And are you sure chickens still spawn from eggs? I threw 13 of them into the ground and nothing happened. :( (That was in 1.8 pre-release 1 though)
I do believe they said 1.9 will be released very shortly after 1.8.
Would be nice though to build large cattle farms etc for breeding.

Time to work on that Abbatoir farm Battosay! ;)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

gftweek wrote: One animal however can be farmed...chickens! The egg drop rate has increased a lot, and you can get new chickens from the eggs, it's something that can even be easily automated with BTW.

that is cool. I think I will play around in creative to see how it can be improved. Obvious addition would be a dispenser on a pulser instead of throwing eggs. Fried chicken by replacing the crusher with a lavablade. test routing for future btw automation.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.