Super epic better than wolves modpack discussion.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Brethern

Super epic better than wolves modpack discussion.

Post by Brethern »

First off I was to point out that when I use to term modpack I don't mean everything in one. It's just I didn't have enough room in the title to write "super epic better than wolves extra mods that can make your BTW and vMC gaming. even better."

Now that's out of the way on to the main body of the thread.

I think that we can agree that vMC gets old fast, even with BTW there comes a time when you are going to get bored and lose your interest in playing. Restarting worlds is only a short term solution for what attracted you to BTW and MC in the first place.

I'll admit that right now I'm in the middle of a huge slump. Sure we could all do what diego did and start a livestream but that's still only a short term fix. What I want to do with this thread is pull together a list of mods that will increase your gaming experience. Notice I didn't say modpack I mean just a list of recommended mods.

Now on to the list note that these just are my suggestions as to what you can add to give yourself a challenge. I don't know if all of them will work but most should. Why I think they will work will be later.

Mods.

Better than wolves.
Buildcraft
industrial craft 2
eloraam's redstone mods.
The wasteland mod.
Strat oregen.
timber

Why I think they refresh the gaming experience together.

BTW is pretty obvious as is BC and IC. Eloraams redstone just makes your wiring easier and saves headaches. timber just makes the most tedious task easier.

The wasteland mod, you're probably wondering why I on earth would I want a wasteland? wouldn't that make things harder?

That's the point think of it like this. If you were one of the first settlers you wouldn't get everything on a sliver platter. You would have to work for it. in order to get grass for hemp you would have to find an oasis and set your colony up there. and using strat oregen means that when you go on a mining expedition you're going to have outposts everywhere, really is there a reason to leave your starting chunks now? Not a legit reason (OCD for certain areas isn't a legit reason) using these together means that you can have a world where you are going to earn everything you do.

That's all I really have for reasons and like I said this isn't a request to use anything for a modpack it's a suggestion for extras to regain what you lost.
Whisp

Re: Super epic better than wolves modpack discussion.

Post by Whisp »

I like this idea, although I wouldn't put the wasteland mod in there.
I tried it once and really like it, but at least in the version I played there was not nearly enough wood to use BTW in a normal way. I asked the author once if he could make it so that tall grass rarely drops saplings, then we could ensure a decent supply of wood with masses of bonemeal. He liked the idea, but to my knowledge he hasn't implemented anything like that yet.

What I would really love is Finite Liquid to be compatible with BTW and the other mods.
I think it would add a quite different approach on farming and contraptions including water in general.
That's also a mod that would work great with the wasteland mod, since water is scarce and farming uses up water, which means you have to search for new shelters with water or build reservoirs to save the water from rain (if it's still raining in the wasteland mod, I'm not sure about that).
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Honestly, I dislike the wasteland mod. It was fun for a while, but I like wood...and being able to grow leaf-less trees just doesn't feel right >.> As a catch-all for here, there's that mod that lets you pick a terrain generator when you create a new map; wasteland is one of them (requires separate download) but it gives you a variety of others.

Somnia should be added to the list though; it's a companion mod for pretty much anything that features a form of automation.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Whisp wrote:What I would really love is Finite Liquid to be compatible with BTW and the other mods.
I think it would add a quite different approach on farming and contraptions including water in general.
That's also a mod that would work great with the wasteland mod, since water is scarce and farming uses up water, which means you have to search for new shelters with water or build reservoirs to save the water from rain (if it's still raining in the wasteland mod, I'm not sure about that).
Nonono. Finite liquid is basically like saying 'hey, let's break anything focused on water!' And suddenly waterwheels are useless. You'd be able to power them for maybe a small amount of time, then have to go through the tedium of filling their tanks (or whatever) back up whilst draining the other tank.

Good idea, but I think the tedious part of it basically breaks the automation.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

KWilt wrote:
Whisp wrote:What I would really love is Finite Liquid to be compatible with BTW and the other mods.
Nonono. Finite liquid is basically like saying 'hey, let's break anything focused on water!' And suddenly waterwheels are useless. You'd be able to power them for maybe a small amount of time, then have to go through the tedium of filling their tanks (or whatever) back up whilst draining the other tank.

Good idea, but I think the tedious part of it basically breaks the automation.
Finite water has a recipe for vMC water if I remember right.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Finite water also has pumps to return water to the top as well, though I don't think finite water would power the wheel anyway so you would need vanilla water, which is possible to craft.

I'd like to share my mods, for those interested, and my reasons why:

Somnia: If my bed is safe, it should remain safe while I sleep and the world should continue as I sleep

BTW: Of course!

Mo' Creatures: I have most exotic, annoying and aggressive mobs turned off, but things like birds and fish flesh out the world a little for me

Infinite Biomes: Biomes are 6 times bigger (Various different options are available) - this one's just personal taste I guess, but I like deserts that are a challenge to cross, forests which stretch for miles, plains which... well go on for miles, you get the picture

Randomobs: A variety of skins for every mob and creature, I use the skins from Misa's Texture pack, his zombies are especially good - There's a pumpkin headed one, a Headless one, a head crab one etc etc

Seasons & Nature Overhaul: Makes the world more dynamic, woodlands grow and shrink, grass springs up and dies away, trees encroach on your safety giving mobs a way over walls. Nature Overhaul especially is a must have for me.

Survivalism: Makes the game more of a challenge

Better Or Distribution - Basically this clump all similar ores together into veins and lets you control how they spawn, which means when you find coal, you know all the coal in the area is going to be there - harder to find then jackpot when you do find it but why I love this is it ends mind numbing strip mining and rewards exploration and also means building a mine remote from your base is necessary. Which I like!

I would have finite water if it was compatible with BTW because I love the extra challenge of having to worry about rain flooding your home or mines, having to worry about tunnelling into the ocean, having to worry about your torches being extinguished by rain. His last update where he tried to add diving suits ruined it for me but he has promised the next version will be slimmed down. When he adds unlimited slots to make things immune from being washed away by water, I will reinstall it in a heartbeat, but at the moment there are only 5 and literally everything from BTW get's washed away!

EDIT: Links added!
Last edited by Shengji on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

While BTW is the only mod I use myself I find this very interesting. At least it's fun to read about. Could people please add links to the mods they're talking about so I can look up some more info if I want to?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:Honestly, I dislike the wasteland mod. It was fun for a while, but I like wood...and being able to grow leaf-less trees just doesn't feel right >.> As a catch-all for here, there's that mod that lets you pick a terrain generator when you create a new map; wasteland is one of them (requires separate download) but it gives you a variety of others.

Somnia should be added to the list though; it's a companion mod for pretty much anything that features a form of automation.
going to have to look into that terrain mod.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Along with Better Than Wolves I use

Multi-Use Doors
The Seasons Mod
Myrk Mod Fossil Mod
Rei's Minimap
Inventory Tweaks
Elemental Creepers
Elorams Redpower Mods Not Array or Lighting
And last but not least, most of Risugami's mods, specifically More Stackables, Spawner GUI, Recipe Book, Shelf, and Armor Stand.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

I recently tried Floating Islands by Areus. It's a surprisingly adjustable mod that simply adds floating islands to the overworld (aka not the Nether). Since I discovered new chunks on my main world, I can't help but think of plans to reach those high places and build something glorious on them.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I'm... not a fan of IC. The whole mod just feels overpowered to me and way beyond what can be accomplished when you start out with tools made from sticks. It skips a dozen 'make the tools to make the tools' steps along the way. Buildcraft is borderline. I mostly only use it for the quarry in order to clear large areas of space while I go about doing something more productive.

I like RedPower wiring but that's actually more to do with the panel options than the wiring itself, though it is incredibly handy to be able to send a signal 80 meters without repeater delays. I've not touched the integrated circuits or any other part of that mod.

Infinite Biomes has been made obsolete by 1.8. The desert shown on this map is 680 meters across.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

DaveYanakov wrote:I'm... not a fan of IC. The whole mod just feels overpowered to me and way beyond what can be accomplished when you start out with tools made from sticks. It skips a dozen 'make the tools to make the tools' steps along the way. Buildcraft is borderline. I mostly only use it for the quarry in order to clear large areas of space while I go about doing something more productive.

I like RedPower wiring but that's actually more to do with the panel options than the wiring itself, though it is incredibly handy to be able to send a signal 80 meters without repeater delays. I've not touched the integrated circuits or any other part of that mod.

Infinite Biomes has been made obsolete by 1.8. The desert shown on this map is 680 meters across.
Spoiler
Show
Interesting, hopefully they are going to be big enough to suit me.

As to not liked IC meh it's a personal choice I like it because I can change biomes with terraformers and I can automate more tasks like smelting ores. and I have a reason to go mining.
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

oh I am definitely recommending equivalent exchange, you will mine like hell to get the power items. Can't play without it anymore. Also, I recommend baitbox by djosolin. It fits BTW perfectly for the traps.
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

I recommend better blocks
It is just amazing and can't play without it
It adds steps and half blocks for almost every block in the game and also has many tweaks and fixes such as stackable food
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

rosstafan wrote:I recommend better blocks
It is just amazing and can't play without it
It adds steps and half blocks for almost every block in the game and also has many tweaks and fixes such as stackable food
Ladders look so much better with it too (they are now 3D), and can stand alone without supporting walls.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Shengji wrote: Seasons & Nature Overhaul: Makes the world more dynamic, woodlands grow and shrink, grass springs up and dies away, trees encroach on your safety giving mobs a way over walls. Nature Overhaul especially is a must have for me.
I can second the seasons mod, it adds a ton of atmosphere to your world, as each season it looks completely different (well not so much between spring and summer but meh). And seeing your normally dry biome getting gradually covered with snow and turning into a postcard in the winter is so awesome <3

Seasons mod does have a couple of issues with entities tho, like if there's any bare grass directly beneath your waterwheel or windmill, when tall grass spawns there it will break the windmill/waterwheel. Same thing happens when snow spawns. But it's easy enough to work around if you think about it for a minute. Also, beware your water streams freezing up in winter.