Grinding netherrack doesn't actually infect animals (and maybe never did?)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EpicAaron

Grinding netherrack doesn't actually infect animals (and maybe never did?)

Post by EpicAaron »

We have been hoodwinked. I learned today that the act of grinding netherrack in a millstone, while noxious to Steve, doesn't actually harm animals in any way.

Tested on FC's last version.

So, for years I have been building walled off grinding zones to keep all my animals safe from the harmful effects of grinding rack. Turns out, those harmful effects never existed!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Niyu

Re: Grinding netherrack doesn't actually infect animals (and maybe never did?)

Post by Niyu »

Without having actually tested it nor having checked the code. I always assumed the dangerous part was filtering the ground netherrack without using urns or powering the hoppers. The effects on the player when grinding are just the result of the terrible screams, not hellish possesion.
Blacklands

Post by Blacklands »

I ran into this recently too, it was weird. We got one squid turning into a ghast, so that worked.
But then somehow after that whenever I tested it, it never seemed to work again. Although I tested it in Creative Mode, does that have something to do with it? I had tons of spawned animals all around and ground a lot of Netherrack and filtered it into Hellfire Dust, but nothing ever got infected. I also had animals around an active Nether portal, which didn't do anything either.
Could there be a bug in the code that makes it happen way less frequently than it should, maybe?
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Blacklands wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:53 am But then somehow after that whenever I tested it, it never seemed to work again. Although I tested it in Creative Mode, does that have something to do with it?
I don't know the particulars. Dawn might. But FC used to say that he purposefully disabled various features (especially the nether fun) in creative mode to prevent players spoiling themselves. So it is possible that you being in creative mode messed up the process.