Patch 1.8 is "leaked"

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Urian

Patch 1.8 is "leaked"

Post by Urian »

So, yeah. We can now get our hands on a "leaked" version of 1.8. The reason for the quotation marks is that it's Jeb who released the minecraft.jar file with 1.8 and Notch tweeted that he supports it as long as people download it from the URL they provided. In order to save you the drudgery that is wading through the filth of the MCF, here is the link:

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft.jar
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
sargunv
Site Admin

Re: Patch 1.8 is "leaked"

Post by sargunv »

The new title screen looks nice.
Spoiler
Show
Ocean :)
Spoiler
Show
Flying islands still generate.
Spoiler
Show
Clay is more common.
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

Haven't seen much yet but I must say I really like the light system. Some weirdness at dusk/dawn but otherwise it's looking really good. The new world gen also seems to work wonders although that's kinda hard to say with only one map and about 10 minutes played so far.

Edit: Something that might be a change or might just be because I haven't used the default textures in a very long time. Are the block textures (at least for planks and wood) higher res now? They seem sharper than the 32px ones... Might the days of relying on HD-patcher finally be over? Of course, the items, e.g. sticks, are still butt ugly.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Urian wrote:Edit: Something that might be a change or might just be because I haven't used the default textures in a very long time. Are the block textures (at least for planks and wood) higher res now? They seem sharper than the 32px ones... Might the days of relying on HD-patcher finally be over? Of course, the items, e.g. sticks, are still butt ugly.
They do seem sharper than they use to in the inventory. I haven't in a while so I'm not sure.

The "hitting things" animation is sped up, and I can't eat raw chicken (maybe that's because my hunger and health bars are full)

EDIT: Still can't eat raw chicken after losing health.
EDIT2: I'm healing automatically on normal difficulty.
Urian

Post by Urian »

You heal if you're at full (or perhaps near full) food and take damage if you're hungry (at 0 food). I'm having plenty of crashes although that might be because of either that I didn't clean my bin folder, merely installed the new .jar or the bug that Jeb said is the reason he didn't do an official release.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Urian wrote:You heal if you're at full (or perhaps near full) food and take damage if you're hungry (at 0 food). I'm having plenty of crashes although that might be because of either that I didn't clean my bin folder, merely installed the new .jar or the bug that Jeb said is the reason he didn't do an official release.
That explains it. I could eat raw beef after getting hungry. Didn't test raw chicken. I crashed when I tried to turn advanced OpenGL on.

EDIT:
Forest sunset:
Spoiler
Show
Huge desert
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Took 20 mins, but I explored a swamp - awesome amounts of clay, vines and mushrooms (and swimming animals), but weird generation for...well, holes underwater that were not filled with water. Explored a...I don't know what it was, but no snow and a ton of pine trees - taiga? Handful of wolves gave me my first useless exp orbs.

...then when exploring these underwater holes got suck down a waterfall into an abandoned mine, found diamond, made a pickaxe and died by creeper.
Awesome. Gonna have a dash on creative in a bit to experience the landscape a bit more. Other than that...I'm glad this isn't the official 1.8 release. too many small flaws >.>
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I found an abandoned mineshaft but died from falling and forgot where it was (I'd spend quite some time spelunking before I found it). I've got some melon seeds and a bow though, seems like a fully charged bow kills a cow in one shot :p I'm still looking for the new type of dungeons, I've found two normal ones (the box type) but none with the new texture. The mineshaft is a bit weird, it's got planks and torches so I first thought I'd doubled back.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I've also found a mineshaft. Man, if I thought caves could be disorientating as hell, mineshafts are even worse. They're cramped and very maze-y. Although I've come across a chest; it had some coal, iron, lapis, redstone, and one diamond in it.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Miss_Kat wrote: Although I've come across a chest; it had some coal, iron, lapis, redstone, and one diamond in it.
I resent mojang for adding this, I found a chest with 8 lapis, 36 Redstone and 4 diamonds. = My sense of achievement just got shitted on !

EDIT: Well, I'm glad they changed Endermen dropping diamonds to them dropping "Ender Pearls", which obviously, do nothing !!!
Last edited by FurkeyRefills on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Urian

Post by Urian »

My Mineshaft chest only contained some melon seeds and two buckets. Currently conducting melon farming experiments and trying to figure out how to automate the process.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

What's the difference between this and the full release of 1.8? Are there villages, ravines, sprinting, etc?
IGN: Camerinthus
Urian

Post by Urian »

Camerinthus wrote:What's the difference between this and the full release of 1.8? Are there villages, ravines, sprinting, etc?
Villages - I'm guessing so but no NPCs (those won't be in the full 1.8 either). Ravines - Maybe, haven't seem them but they were in the PAX demo so I'm guessing so. Sprinting - yup.

As for the difference: This is an unfinished patch so there are still some bugs and there might be changes done before the final release.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I really like the eating animation. Lighting is awesome and overall I'm impressed with world generation.
Fought my first Enderman and they are brutal, popping around the place.

The village I have claimed as my home base. You can see the Enderman that I go kill through the well.
Spoiler
Show
Inside of the "church".
Spoiler
Show
Second level of the "church" where I've put all of my necessities for now.
Spoiler
Show
Villages aren't bad, really, but the Millenaire villages are certainly better. The wheat farms aren't planned very well and will get trampled rather quickly. I really like the glass panes though.

Also did a creative mode map just for kicks.

Ravine
Spoiler
Show
Weird Mountain
Spoiler
Show
Floating Islands
Spoiler
Show
I flew around filling out a map to get a look at the big picture.
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

Yeah, Pine/Spruce seems to be common in some biomes. Behold the lifetime supply of spruce:
Spoiler
Show
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

The larger biomes thing is really cool. Forests are now FORESTS.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ok, done with creative mode. Weird generation bug, cuboids of air in the middle of large bodies of water. Looks cool, but still...

Kinda got irritated at one thing, I was flying across the ocean, when I see a bright spot, so I went to explore. In a small area I found 3 overlapping mineshafts (aether-style buggery) that generated after the ravine. And of course it had huge columns of water from the sea splashing down onto obsidian.

The small blue spiders are cute though >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i personal love the option to turn off the village even if it takes away the new dungeon spawns too, but that was my main concern with 1.8, so i guess i wont have a problem with it after all.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Man, the mob spawn rates have certainly changed, I started in a swamp and saw pink everywhere. SOO MANY PIGS.

Chickens now seem to lay eggs every minute.

Has anyone found any snow yet, we all seem to have found Taiga that is bereft of snow!

I haven't seen a village yet though or an ocean yet, but I only started 1/2 an hour ago. Found an abandoned mineshaft intersecting with a Ravine, but haven't been down yet.

Found some lighting and item duplication bugs too.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Just noticed you no longer have to spawn on sand.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

sargunster wrote:Just noticed you no longer have to spawn on sand.
Ugh, the yogscast spoilt that for me. On the upside you can now spawn on trees.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Sugarcane on sand:
Spoiler
Show
Trees in water, with vines. Is this a swamp biome?
Spoiler
Show
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Yes, it is.
IGN: Camerinthus
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Trees in water, with vines. Is this a swamp biome?
Spoiler
Show
I think so.

The way things are underwater is strange though; a random mosaic of clay, stone dirt and sand isn't what you expect to see through...swamp water.

Between the vines, shallow water, relatively flat land and clay deposits (and how it's always close to forest and taiga biomes) I definitely think my first 1.8/9 BTW world is going to be centred on a swamp. Needs some serious visual improvements though.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Wowsers there was like wolves everywhere when I first logged in o.O (in a taiga biome with no snow)
And it's really hard to resist digging up all the clay even though it's everywhere now x.x

Probably too early to be testing this, but anyone got any mods working with it?

EDIT: Crap I seem to be getting the out of memory bug quite often now...never happened before. And the game crashed when I tried to change graphics to fast in the main menu.
Game also crashed when I tried to smelt iron in the furnace.

EDIT 2: And another crash when I was playing around with the new flippy open chests.
Last edited by grimper12341 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:30 am, edited 5 times in total.