Sharing useful builds that get the job done

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
milkmandan

Re: Sharing useful builds that get the job done

Post by milkmandan »

Hadn't seen anyone mention it and when I first started automating hemp farm it took me a bit to realize I could do it this way. Basic concept is to keep a piston next to the block detector so that it becomes monostable. Shown with reed but works similarly for hemp (with light block instead of torches).
Spoiler
Show
I haven't had cause to use this yet but here's a way to have a horizontally compact timer.
Spoiler
Show

Ignore the stuff in the background. Nice thing with this is you could make the turn on points changeable by either moving the blocks with pistons or using a lens like shown.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

That's all good and well for a bamboo farm, but you'd be much better off in replacing the pistons with block dispensers for your hemp farm.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

CycloneSP wrote:That's all good and well for a bamboo farm, but you'd be much better off in replacing the pistons with block dispensers for your hemp farm.
Why? I have pretty much the same design (maybe the wiring is differently, I don´t see how it is wired on the pic), and it works fine.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

because with pistons you run the risk of your hemp landing on the block below and thereby being wasted. If you use the block dispenser, it fires the hemp forward into the stream, guaranteeing 100% collection.

Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Not if you use a repeater and maybe even sticky pistons with block in front of it.
Like I said, my wiring is maybe different, and it works just fine for me.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

CycloneSP wrote:because with pistons you run the risk of your hemp landing on the block below and thereby being wasted. If you use the block dispenser, it fires the hemp forward into the stream, guaranteeing 100% collection.
He's right, there is some loss with this version (about 1 out of 10); the loss is offset by the much reduced cost meaning you can build a bigger farm sooner.

I thought about putting bellows below the piston to handle the stuff that doesn't make it off the edge, but then that gets to be a royal pain and expensive on the leather.

Edit: Quick test with 28 plant farm, over 24 hour (game time) period, captured 38 hemp while 5 hemp (and 4 seeds) were stuck. So, more like 1 in 7 loss.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

But at the stage where you can automate hemp, you already have a ton of normal seeds, since the first windmill needs exactly 54 hemp, 56 with the first axle.
So it is just a question of resources, if you want a 100% efficient hemp farm. I don´t think it would be worth so many soul urns.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Elevatator wrote:But at the stage where you can automate hemp, you already have a ton of normal seeds, since the first windmill needs exactly 54 hemp, 56 with the first axle.
So it is just a question of resources, if you want a 100% efficient hemp farm. I don´t think it would be worth so many soul urns.
If you use sticky pistons instead of normal pistons, and push the top part of the plant with a full block attached to the piston, you won't get item loss.
The problem is that the crops sometimes fall into the front part of the extended piston, with it not being a full block and all. If you have a piece of cobblestone pushing the hemp, it's all ok. Add some delay so that the piston stays extended for a few ticks, the item will fall into the water stream for sure.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

I made a cheap auto kiln. This is not a tube kiln, but it is still a good kiln. It's kinda complicated to explain in words, so please look at the world download.
(big pictures)
Spoiler
Show
ImageImageImage
some close-ups:
Spoiler
Show
ImageImageImageImage
The Goods:
Modular(according to jakerman999)
infinitely tileable(no limit to the number of units)
limited brick use(4 for the forst unit, 3 for the rest)
no excessive redstone
uses the standard bellows timer(turntable on third setting with 2 torches)

The Bads:
uses 1 block dospenser per unit
loads each unit independantly

To add one more unit:
3 bricks
1 block dispenser
1 sticky piston
2 repeaters
1 block dispenser
1 hibachi + redstone power
(1 bellows every 2 units)

I use this basic design in my world with 2 units, and wanted to share it. I know there have been tube kilns out there, but they have always been way over my head.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ciu447z1jc7m0bw
Last edited by weldaSB on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

what is the difference between 'infinitely tileable' and modular?

also, do you think you could snap a pic of a much smaller version? with you so far out, it's hard to see how it works. It does look like something I'd want to replicate tho.

weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

CycloneSP wrote:what is the difference between 'infinitely tileable' and modular?

also, do you think you could snap a pic of a much smaller version? with you so far out, it's hard to see how it works. It does look like something I'd want to replicate tho.
Modular didn't come to mind. i'll snap some pics of the one in my world and some up-close ones when i get the chance. this may not be for awhile, so take a look at the world download.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

CycloneSP wrote:what is the difference between 'infinitely tileable' and modular?
Infinitely tileable means that a given design can be repeated without change an infinite amount of times, and generally gets more efficient with each replication.

Modular means that a design is built out of modules that fit together and can be rearranged.

In this auto kiln, all the modules are the same, and efficiency increases with each module, so it is both.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Added some screenies for ya CycloneSP.
Thanks for the clarification jakerman999.
PhongGamer

Post by PhongGamer »

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread so far. I mostly lurk here on the forum, but felt compelled to share. CycloneSP did show a build similar to this, but here is the smooth stone generator I built for my Let's Build/Play world.

A few things of note:

- It relies on a redstone repeater loop for timing.
- It's scalable. You'll see in the pictures that I built it with three modules, so to speak. I recently built another one using four.
- This design is not the most economical in that each module uses a block dispenser.

Let's see...the controls are on the two black wool blocks. The switch is connected to a block dispenser that places or picks up a piece of redstone wire in order to break or complete the repeater loop, thus you turn off the machine by flipping the switch. When the switch is in the on position, press the button to fire up the repeater loop and generate stone.

As I mentioned, redstone loop timing is what drives this thing. Each time the charge on the loop hits the generator portion, the pistons fire and the block dispensers pick up the smooth stone. The loop is set to last just long enough for the lava to make contact with the water. The pistons could probably be removed. I added them because I found that they seemed to prevent issues with lava seeping too far toward the water and forming cobblestone just out of reach of the BDs, thus screwing up the process. So I use the pistons to block off the lava temporarily, giving the water an extra moment to flow under it.

In the redstone pictures, the illuminated redstone torches standing on the cobblestone correspond to the locations of the BDs. The holes in the ceiling are where I am running the wiring for the switch and button.

EDIT to add: You can kind of see this in the pictures, but there are nine repeaters in the loop, all set to full delay.

Here's the pictures:

Several views of the generator portion:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Redstone portion:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by PhongGamer on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

@WeldaSB: Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've been looking for a simple yet efficient auto kiln for my early game builds. I hate having to baby sit all of my urns atm.

@PhongGamer: Ah, I really like what you did there. nice improvement of 'my'(not really mine since it is so simple any one could think it up) design. I like how you solved the clogging factor with your pistons stopping the lava flow while the BD sucks up the smoothestone. Good job man.

PhongGamer

Post by PhongGamer »

@CycloneSP - Thanks man. Yeah, I think I actually based that design on something someone else had built. :) Unfortunately the pistons haven't been 100% effective, but they definitely help. I think I've had maybe five or six cobblestone generated since I built it a few months ago...long enough to fill many chests with stone, build roads and a town wall, etc. So the chance of getting cobble is pretty slim.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Have you tried extending the pistons before the BD's suck up the stone? if you do that, then you should never get cobble again. Or at least that's how it looks on paper.

Man, I hate my current world. I've been holding off on making a permanent residence since I've been planning on a colossal project down the road. So that has led me to making ugly, horribly inefficient builds just to get the job done. T_T That and I am situated above a vast cave network containing many abandoned mineshafts and many mob spawners. In any other situation that would be awesome. But again, I don't want to set up a permanent residence here. :\

Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Avoiding cobble is easy if you make a hole in the floor just below the lava flow. If for some reason the lava moves too far, it'll just go down instead of sideways, thus not making any cobble.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

huh, I don't really follow, but I'll try it next chance I get.

shifty

Post by shifty »

When lava and water flow is calculated it always tries to go down before it goes sideways. By having a hole below the lava source it will never form cobblestone as it can't flow sideways. Take a look at these screenshots:
Spoiler
Show
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I've been playing around with Poppycocks' freight elevator lately, and I managed to compact it a little more. It can probably still be slimmed down somehow, but this will definitely be my goto build for item elevators in the future. Works like a charm! :)

For a video that shows how to build the original see the topic linked above. I've only tried to show my own modifications in the following images.

I've moved the repeater that makes sure the elevator stays down long enough to pick up items to the bottom, between the DB and the lightblock.
Spoiler
Show
And up top, I've incorporated the DB that gets the lens signal into the RS-latch.
Spoiler
Show
Finally, I moved the gearbox that powers the pulley over to the side, above where the elevator comes up.
Spoiler
Show

Here's a side by side comparison of my design (on the left) and Poppycocks' (on the right). Mine is a little slimmer, but apart from that it has about the same dimensions.
Spoiler
Show
Lots of planets have a north...!
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I knew there was a very good reason why I suggested for db's to behave more like regular blocks when it came to receiving redstone power. Good show man.

On a side note, I think I should repost my dung farm here as well, it's in the show us your builds thread, but I think this place better suited for that build.
Spoiler
Show
It's tiny, it's low tech, it's efficient. Just hook it up to a source of meat on top - every wolf gets fed and every piece of brown gold gets washed down into the bottom hopper. Based on Graphites spiral build idea.

Just make sure the blocks they're standin' on are non-opaque to prevent hostile spawns.
natchu96

Post by natchu96 »

Poppycocks wrote:I knew there was a very good reason why I suggested for db's to behave more like regular blocks when it came to receiving redstone power. Good show man.

On a side note, I think I should repost my dung farm here as well, it's in the show us your builds thread, but I think this place better suited for that build.
Spoiler
Show
It's tiny, it's low tech, it's efficient. Just hook it up to a source of meat on top - every wolf gets fed and every piece of brown gold gets washed down into the bottom hopper. Based on Graphites spiral build idea.

Just make sure the blocks they're standin' on are non-opaque to prevent hostile spawns.
Lucky. I own one wolf. And he's only pooped once. He's stopped excreting waste for a IRL week now.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

natchu96 wrote:
Lucky. I own one wolf. And he's only pooped once. He's stopped excreting waste for a IRL week now.
Have you been feeding it?
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

natchu96 wrote: Lucky. I own one wolf. And he's only pooped once. He's stopped excreting waste for a IRL week now.

Try feeding it. If you didn't eat, would you poop?
Also, make sure it is not surrounded by blocks. The dung may be being blocked by solid blocks.

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?