New Release! (BTW V2.99)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Caboose

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.99)

Post by Caboose »

The Hardcore Buckets mode is a neat idea, I appreciate that it adds incentive to explore to find the most strategic spot to build your home(Undersea base?), but it's not a feature that I'll really care to use. My opinion might change when/if features specific to this mode are added, though.

But the rest of the changes are well thought out as usual, I appreciate and always will appreciate how much thought you put into this mod. A fine job, really.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the Kiln to be an actual block. This change is invisible to the player but allows the Kiln to be far more flexible in its functionality. Unfortunately, this has also required changing the time it takes Pottery to cook and may mess with existing auto-Kilns as a result.
Is this block a bit like 'NOT A BLOCK' ? [Just a different function?]
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
Iakovosian

Post by Iakovosian »

Just a thought - and sorry for including a criticism in my very first post - but I think there's a word wrong in the BTWconfig file.

One of the comments is...
// set the following to 1 to have the Gear Box's output face away from you when you place it
...but should it not read...
[...] Gear Box's input face away from you [...]
...?

Aside from that, I've been following this mod since its inception in the long 'discussion' about wolves and I love how much it's progressed. I've not had as much time to play MC in recent months so haven't re-completed the BTW tech tree since before Hellfire Dust - in fact, I've never even got as far as making it so it's been quite a while since I could call myself a BTW expert... :(

Anyway... I won't let myself ramble. Bye for now!
Last edited by Iakovosian on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences."
redeyedmonstar

Post by redeyedmonstar »

Brethern wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Brethern wrote: We can't place lava sources and to my knowledge the furnace eats the bucket. Is it really worth the effort to save someone three iron if they use magma as fuel?
If it eats the bucket, I couldn't care less. However, the previous poster was saying this is no longer the case.

EDIT: Tested and it DOES NOT eat the bucket. Guys, for Pete's sake, can you please test statements out like this before making them? It seriously wastes my time when I have to chase around false claims.
Sorry about that. I didn't realize that you got the bucket back. I guess that teaches me not to trust what I think I know about minecraft.
for anyone interested, you don't appear to get back the bucket on SMP (totally vanilla server i play on, and was already logged in, so was the first place i went to test it)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Great update. I'll have to consider exactly how I feel about the hardcore bucket mode, but I do appreciate you taking a small but dramatic step to change MC into a different kind of experience.

Also, for anyone who would like to help, I put the changes up on the wiki with links to a bunch of new articles that will need to be made. Very exciting!
Alexia

Post by Alexia »

So what is the soap and potash for?
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

Hardcore bukkit mode sounds interesting, but I have some problems with it also, which might well prevent me from using it;

1) I LIKE the quirky water physics, its part of the charm of minecraft, and the reason I gave up on the finite water mod after I had persevered
through the lag it caused for a month or so. I think alot of people quite like the quirky and simplistic physics of minecraft.

2) For a change which is supposed to be 'realistic' it doesnt strike me as all that much more realistic than the preexisting water physics; as a RL note, thick and lumpy sewage water requires an optimal 4.something degree tilt to flow efficiently. Minecraft water requires something like a 14 degree tilt for ANY flow. This makes it so a whole host of RL propositions unavailable, like aquaducts, or artificial lakes and resevoirs.

2.1) I currently use pistons* to keep my item channels level (or even ascending), without the ability to place source water this build becomes basically impossible.

If 2 is solved somehow, I couldnt care less about 1 or 2.1, but doing so might well be quite problematic; it is basically a whole new mod, and will break a huge number of existing builds and IMHO is not worth the effort.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Alexia wrote:So what is the soap and potash for?
Potash is for dying any colour of wool white but as far as I am aware the soap does not have a use.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
foreman

Post by foreman »

I love this hardcore bucket addition. I'd always tried to find ways to use natural water sources before, now I actually have to use them and not get lazy about it.

The tragedy of destroying an underground stream is an added bonus to game play, I accidentally filled in the water source I was using for my underground farm and it forced me to construct some waterways from a further source to re-irrigate the soil.

BTW was the first mod I'd ever been motivated enough to install and its been the only one to maintain my rapt attention, thanks for the epic mod Flowerchild.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Expectations blown away as always :) Great job, I'm really looking forward to playing with hardcore bucket mode
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

The hardcore bucket mode might be a bit too hardcore for me, but since it's toggle-able, no problem. I will eventually start a world just to try it though. It sounds like a very different experience. And as always, thanks for the release.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Can't figure out how to make saw dust... I must be missing something obvious here. I got soap + potash though. :).

Edit - nevermind... so foolish.
Spoiler
Show
Just saw logs (not planks like I was trying)
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

FC, since you made the bucket unable to pick/place source blocks of water. Do you know in the 1.9 pre there is an enchantment "silk touch" that allows you to "mine" ice blocks.(This seems to be working as intended, other than the ability to "farm" mob spawners)

Thus this would allow a player to get around the lack of moving moving water source blocks. Or it allows you the option to disable that ability with this same switch.

However, would be cool IF possible to allow a player to enchant a bucket using that same silk touch to ALLOW it to pickup a source block. I would name my bucket pale!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:Mountains with source blocks up high near coastlines just became priceless.
Yeah, which isn't a bad thing either IMO. Exploring and picking a suitable location for your base becomes more important. It makes the environment a bit more of an aspect of gameplay, instead of just being scenery, you dig?

It's an aspect I like of the temporary tanning recipe too: placing different values on different kinds of wood for different purposes to further encourage exploration. This is a concept I plan to play around with more in the future.
Sorry if I seemed to imply that it was a bad thing when I consider it a strong contender for Best Thing Ever.

Husbag3 wrote:
Alexia wrote:So what is the soap and potash for?
Potash is for dying any colour of wool white but as far as I am aware the soap does not have a use.
Features are under continual develpoment. Potash for one is such a useful chemical compound that I can't see it having fewer than three uses. Has anyone tried using it on wheat yet?
Better is the enemy of Good
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added optional "Hardcore Bucket" mode (off by default...can be turned on in the config file). This basically prevents the player from being able to transport water & lava source blocks and is a mode intended to make fluid flow (and by extension, the generation of mechanical power) far more interesting without causing additional performance overhead, by requiring the player to actually build canals and such to have access to liquids. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
this means go to the neather is even more hard now?
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Again, THANK YOU for the awesome update.

I can't wait to test out the hardcore bucket mode. I usually build on the surface but do scout out nice looking locations, Now I just have to be more picky.

Throwing in my hat with setting this as default mode, but only if/when you implement a way to transport water vertically or create source blocks later in the game,be it as simple as a steel bucket or needing to create a well. crap, I have to stop making obvious statements. other wise my beautiful landscape will be marred and I would be forced underground.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Again, THANK YOU for the awesome update.
You're welcome man. I seem to be taking a lot of flack for the new release (on MCF in particular), so thanks for the thanks. It is appreciated :)
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Great update, thanks for your work man. Small changes (well at least to me since I'm not dedicated to build anything so complex that it requires 16 bit ROMs).
As for hardcore bucket mode I think it's cool and though I will not use for my current world I plan to start to start new world when the big (3.0?) BtW updates comes out and I will probably use it if I manage to find nice water source high in the mountains (or maybe I will make my base in a side of a ravine near water). Maybe you could make water flow for a longer distance in the HCB mode? Like 10 or 12 blocks instead 7? Or at least 8 so current designs still work? But anyway I will stop now since this is not a suggestion thread.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:I think HCB mode is cool and though I will pass for now plan to start to start new world when the big (3.0?) BtW updates comes out and I will probably use it if I manage to find nice water source high in the mountains (or maybe I will make my base in a side of a ravine near water). Maybe you could make water flow for a longer distance in the HCB mode? Like 10 or 12 blocks instead 7? Or at least 8 so current designs still work? But anyway I will stop now since this is not a suggestion threadm
Note that I am not actually modifying water behavior, and to do so would require substantial base-class mods.

Also, water is already taking up the full 4 bits of meta-data to my knowledge, so something like the above wouldn't really be possible without tile entities. Many times the distance limitations in MC are based on technical limitations rather than being a specific choice on Mojang's part. Redstone traveling 15 blocks is another example.

So yeah, wrong sub-forum, and technically infeasible anyways.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:Note that I am not actually modifying water behavior, and to do so would require substantial base-class mods.

Also, water is already taking up the full 4 bits of meta-data to my knowledge, so something like the above wouldn't really be possible without tile entities. Many times the distance limitations in MC are based on technical limitations rather than being a specific choice on Mojang's part. Redstone traveling 15 blocks is another example.

So yeah, wrong sub-forum, and technically infeasible anyways.
Well, that's why I threw this idea out - to check if it was viable at all. But more I think about hardcore bucket mode the more I like it since I'm already imagining cool home concepts I could do with it. Ravine with waterfall falling into it seems coolest, though I would need to find deep ravine with nearby parallel river/ocean.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

How to get water source blocks uphill: Go to a snowy biome and find ice. Use pistons to move the ice to your base. A very slow process depending on distance. Alternatively, wait for vMC MineCon release and use Silk Touch to mine Ice.

After you move the ice, melt it and it converts to water source.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

PatrickSJ wrote:How to get water source blocks uphill: Go to a snowy biome and find ice. Use pistons to move the ice to your base. A very slow process depending on distance. Alternatively, wait for vMC MineCon release and use Silk Touch to mine Ice.

After you move the ice, melt it and it converts to water source.
You found ice in a 1.8 world, where they took out snow biomes?
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Good point. I didn't start a new world in 1.8, but carried over my old world. The biomes are a bit funky, but I spawned near ice back in 1.7.3.

Edit: I guess people will need to a pre 1.8 world or wait until the MineCon release.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Or use equivalent exchange...
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

PatrickSJ wrote:Good point. I didn't start a new world in 1.8, but carried over my old world. The biomes are a bit funky, but I spawned near ice back in 1.7.3.

Edit: I guess people will need to a pre 1.8 world or wait until the MineCon release.
My ice generator design will finally have a practical use then, yay :D