Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland - CLOSED / Deep Freeze

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Pfilson

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.41 / BWR 0.25)

Post by Pfilson »

IGN: Pfilson

While I may not be on a lot till iv'e played my way through the skyblock server I would like to play out here and better explore BWRs options and abilities as well as it's future with a group of like minded individuals :D Also I've kind of shunned deserts in the past so it would make for a nice challenge/ change to have to survive in one.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

I have made my claim and built my wall.. Area is mostly lit, but I need to deal with the slime problem.

Also had my first successful crossbreed, sugar cane!

I've posted my first set of Inhospitable Wasteland pics to my tumblr.. You can follow these posts with the following link http://pfilson.tumblr.com/search/Inhosp ... Wastelands

Hopefully I'll get a grass block and hemp soon.. and need to figure out how i'm going to handle the iron golems without dieing too..

Catch you all in the Wastes!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Pfilson wrote: -snip- ...need to figure out how i'm going to handle the iron golems without dieing too..
I have a design that spawns the golems where they are trapped inside a two-high room and thus cannot move and cannot see you. As long as you do not get to close you can swing away at them safely. If you are interested ill post some pics.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Pfilson wrote:I have made my claim and built my wall.. Area is mostly lit, but I need to deal with the slime problem.

Also had my first successful crossbreed, sugar cane!

I've posted my first set of Inhospitable Wasteland pics to my tumblr.. You can follow these posts with the following link http://pfilson.tumblr.com/search/Inhosp ... Wastelands

Hopefully I'll get a grass block and hemp soon.. and need to figure out how i'm going to handle the iron golems without dieing too..

Catch you all in the Wastes!
Good work so far! Do not forget to put half-slabs on top of your cactus wall. That way spiders can't climb over it.

Slimes like to hop in one direction and only change it until they see a player. You might get good results putting some cactus in high-traffic areas of your base.

Sugar Cane is a good result and actually one of the tougher plants to get because of its placement requirements, good work! Cane leads to a lot of cash, and you can cross-breed it into other similar plants that you desperately need.

Grass & Hemp: Speaking of "plants that you desperately need" - keep cross-breeding - you are close. Grass is actually not very difficult (it's a possibility in every cross-breeding attempt), so you'll eventually get that. You can get hemp 3 ways (tilling grass, cutting tall grass, or crossbreeding) so you may wish to try all three.

Golems: I've always used a bow. It's slow and rather inefficient - 12-13 arrows per kill without an enchanted bow, but you can do it from afar and cheap arrows are no problem with a low-tech mob trap (or just running around outside after daybreak and collecting the drops from the dead skeletons). You need 10 iron for the cauldron, and the rest is just for giggles after that. You can cook in a cauldron with logs, but it's not known to be all that reliable.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Benanov wrote: Good work so far! Do not forget to put half-slabs on top of your cactus wall. That way spiders can't climb over it.
ooh I was wondering about why I saw those on peoples cacti.
Benanov wrote:Slimes like to hop in one direction and only change it until they see a player. You might get good results putting some cactus in high-traffic areas of your base.
hmm I hadn't noticed that.. I have almost 4 stacks of slime balls jsut from keeping them out of my village. I'll have to keep one chunk active for farming.
Benanov wrote:Sugar Cane is a good result and actually one of the tougher plants to get because of its placement requirements, good work! Cane leads to a lot of cash, and you can cross-breed it into other similar plants that you desperately need.

Grass & Hemp: Speaking of "plants that you desperately need" - keep cross-breeding - you are close. Grass is actually not very difficult (it's a possibility in every cross-breeding attempt), so you'll eventually get that. You can get hemp 3 ways (tilling grass, cutting tall grass, or crossbreeding) so you may wish to try all three.
Wow didn't know it was a tough one, was the first I got but was definitely happy for it's trading purposes. I did get gras in my initial playing on skyblock just haven't been so (un-)lucky yet.
Benanov wrote:Golems: I've always used a bow. It's slow and rather inefficient - 12-13 arrows per kill without an enchanted bow, but you can do it from afar and cheap arrows are no problem with a low-tech mob trap (or just running around outside after daybreak and collecting the drops from the dead skeletons). You need 10 iron for the cauldron, and the rest is just for giggles after that. You can cook in a cauldron with logs, but it's not known to be all that reliable.
Much more efficient than dieing or using a stone sword lol.. I ran a cauldron off logs once.. it was.. yeah.. I know there's an alternative way to get to the nether with BWR but I'm guessing it takes a while to get that up. Is the BWR OP going to be updated with hints to some of the new functionality? I mean my current guess is Emerald blocks as a replacement for the Obsidian, but that seems too easy.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Pfilson wrote:Is the BWR OP going to be updated with hints to some of the new functionality? I mean my current guess is Emerald blocks as a replacement for the Obsidian, but that seems too easy.
No. Warr has a video on Youtube, though, that is so spoiler-riffic it hurts. I'm sure we'll find some way to link it.

Warr1024

Post by Warr1024 »

Benanov wrote:
Pfilson wrote:Is the BWR OP going to be updated with hints to some of the new functionality? I mean my current guess is Emerald blocks as a replacement for the Obsidian, but that seems too easy.
No. Warr has a video on Youtube, though, that is so spoiler-riffic it hurts. I'm sure we'll find some way to link it.
The forum topic OP is updated whenever DaveYanakov has time, which is basically never. The included README, however, is updated continuously, and released in sync with the add-on itself. Get it on the BWR website at https://gitorious.org/bwr.
Make add-ons, not suggestions.
TaterBoy

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.42 / BWR 0.25)

Post by TaterBoy »

This weekend's project...A new mob trap, the old one was too small and very inefficient. This has proved to be a lot of work, but I finally finished the tower itself. Now to work on the filtration system...Those pictures will come after I've worked out all of the kinks. But for now a little eye candy...
Mob Trap at Night
Show
The Spawning Floors
Show
Aerial View of Topeka
Show
Trap in the Distance
Show
Finished Tower
Show
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

TaterBoy wrote: But for now a little eye candy...
Sorry for the off-topic, but is that panda's texture pack or what, because that sky is amazing!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

danielngtiger wrote:Sorry for the off-topic, but is that panda's texture pack or what, because that sky is amazing!
Yes it is...It's truly amazing, you occasionally see shooting stars even...Definitely makes the night more enjoyable, and it's especially cool on a superflat world where you pretty much have nothing but sky....And now, back to regularly scheduled programming:

Update!

This is the killing room of the mobtrap I showed above, it's almost always as packed as a popular dance club...The masses just can't wait to give their souls to me I guess.
Glorious Carnage
Show
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I'm so completely mortified....I broke Benanov's computer!
(I can't express in words how sorry I am man...But on the bright side, I learned a valuable lesson.:)

So, my mobtrap was too good to be true, I made it too big, and the CPU couldn't handle it. So I tore out a lot of levels, and hopefully it was enough (but I'll remove as many more as needed.)

Took some pictures of the demolition process before and after.
One Last Look Down
Show
Before and After
Show
Looking Up
Show
The Spoils!
Show
The iron output on this thing was insane even before I made it too big, this is the total I've accumulated in a few days. There are also several double chests full of string, rotten flesh, and bones, which I'll leave to the imagination.
Benanov

4.51!

Post by Benanov »

4.51 Fixes the "desynching" bug we were seeing. Thanks FC!

Benanov

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.51 / BWR 0.25)

Post by Benanov »

Some maps (thanks to minutor) are available here.

All of these are taken at the same zoom level.

Spawn and First "Safe" village, restored by Benanov
Spoiler
Show
Benanov's "Oasis" and surroundings
Spoiler
Show
ItchyFlea's Town
Spoiler
Show
TaterBoy's "Topeka" - and yes it's HUGE
Spoiler
Show

TaterBoy

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.52 / BWR 0.25)

Post by TaterBoy »

Time for a new round of pictures...And there are a lot of new things to see!
Bloodwood Cage
Show
I really like this cage of stonebrick fences, it's kind of like a prison for this evil virus tree.
Bloodwood Tree
Show
My first Bloodwood Tree on the Server, on a different server I tried enclosing the tree with stakes and string, and while it looks cool, it was too easy to accidentally hit a string and snap it.
ZPFarm Groundview
Show
I really love the way the windmill turned out, the whole thing is on top of a lava lake, and the windmill room has what seems like a kind of intake vent which pulls in the heat from below.
ZPFarm Distant View
Show
The Pigman Farm, the mechanism works beautifully, however, spawning is near non exisitent while I try to track down areas that aren't covered in Groth.
Zombie Pigman Meet Saw
Show
The trap's first victim, was very satisfying to be climbing up and watch him drop right in front of me.
Don't click these if you still want to figure out squid cross-breeding on your own. It's a very intuitive process, but the puzzle is still quite fun to try to solve.
Squid Farm Outside
Show
Squid Farm Inside
Show
Abominations like Silverfish and Cave Spiders happen a little more often than squid, but just to have a little ink out in this endless desert is very satisfying. (natural spawning would be near impossible as we are at y=4, so we'd have to build a 60-64m high water tower...Which would be just too much sever strain.)
Kibble Factory
Kibble Aqueduct
Show
Kibble Dispensery
Show
Using a timer, I dispense components for kibble in measured amounts, the stacks of hoppers are mostly there because my mob trap has produced thousands of bones and rotten flesh.
Kibble Cooker
Show
Just don't tell the wolves what's in the food...They won't mind.
Sugar Mill
Show
Fairly basic, high-yield sugar mill. Reeds fall into a mill and are sorted into four chests by it...I had to step away for a few hours, and came back to find 20 full stacks of sugar...So it's safe to say I won't be running out of dung any time soon.
Sawmill
Show
It was quite fun to build this little sawmill, adding to the fact that black dyed mill sails are an especially difficult thing to achieve.
Sawmill Interior
Show
A series of block dispensers and saws will turn logs into any of their components depending on which BD in the series they are put into, gears from the highest BD, planks from the lowest, etc.
Vine Farm
Show
This is fairly old but I forgot to show it before, made this about the time I started building the mob trap. It's mostly lossless, which could be remedied, but it produces enough that I'm not bothered.
Benanov

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.54 / BWR 0.25)

Post by Benanov »

Disabled HC spawn by player request.

TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

The New and Improved Zombie Pigman Farm, and other updates!
The first ZP farm lasted all of a day before I tore it apart and rebuilt it from the ground up. I made it much more efficient, and gave it a proper scroll sorter. I especially love this little glass iris I made which squeezes pigs into a 1x1 chute, allowing me a 3x3 drop area (previously the drop chute had been 1x1 which was horribly ineffective even with vinetraps. First day of operation it produced more than 2 stacks of gold bars. Always a pleasure to build something bigger and better.
PigCompactor
Show
I needed a way to make a 3x3 room into a 1x1 room...This was the result, it works really well on Pigmen small slimes, but the bigger slimes are still jumping high enough to avoid being crushed.
New Crucible
Show
I completely redesigned the gold collection system, rather than that messy piston stair I had before, I have only a few in order to sort out the occasional scroll. Only one so far, so I framed it.
New Sawroom
Show
The chopping blocks are now driven by a signal from a tripwire as pigs fall into the saw pit...The ones that don't die in the fall that is.
Blaze Breeding
Show
I call this little factory ''Blockridge Saddled Blazes Inc."
Thanks to science, I am able to reproduce blazes through asexual reproduction, and have the offspring immediately killed. Blaze rod output is not extremely high, but adding coal to this is certainly less time consuming walking to the nearest Nether Fortress.Image
Poop Mill Exterior
Show
Today's project was to finally overcome my clay shortage woes...So I decided to make a massive dung mill. The dung output is washed into a cauldron where it is automatically compacted into dungblocks, so I don't have to check it terribly often.
Poop Mill Interior
Show
A series of strategically placed cobwebs allows me to drop several bits of kibble at regular intervals and feed the wolves on each layer. There are 24 in total, and they produce quite nicely!
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

This is why we don't let Benanov near strongholds....

Remember kids...Only you can prevent desert jungle tree lava fires.
Chaos Ensues
Show
Benanov

Re: Benanov's Inhospitable Wasteland (BTW 4.56 / BWR 0.26)

Post by Benanov »

This isn't going to be pretty. Upgraded to 4.56. Bring plenty of food. Expect it to be faster to build the road than cross the wastes on foot.

MINERGUY67880

Post by MINERGUY67880 »

Ign: MINERGUY67880

Why i'm interested: This looks like a really fun server and it looks challenging.

Hope I can join :D
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

(10:12:51 AM) nuWastey: Parted: MINERGUY67880
(10:16:02 AM) nuWastey: Parted: MINERGUY67880
(10:25:30 AM) nuWastey: Parted: MINERGUY67880
(11:59:21 AM) nuWastey: Parted: MINERGUY67880

Red flags:

This is your first post in the community, and heck, it's your only post.
The bot reported that you attempted to join 4 times without a response from me. The thread says I use PMs.

I am going to defer your application and process it at a later time. Perhaps you should endeavor to change the circumstances before I decide to process it again.

pims1997

Post by pims1997 »

Hey,

My ign is: pims1997
Also, my friend wants to be whitelisted too! (ign: Puthor)
I really like this server and I would like to join it :P

~ Pim
puthor

Post by puthor »

puthor i want to be whitlisted your sever looks great and my friend pims1997 plays on it and i love to play on this server

:)
puthor

Post by puthor »

im puthor by the way
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

IGN: II_Platypus_II
I would love to join your server because I enjoy a good challenge, and I enjoy working with others even more! :)
I believe that I would be a great addition to your server and await your response. BTW, I realize that my post count is low, but I hope you can find it in your heart to give me a spot.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Anyone want to organize a time to get as many people on the server as possible? I've been wanting to get back on here, but I've held off because I never see anyone online :(
I was thinking maybe friday night PST? or sometime this weekend, I'm not too picky lol
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?