New Release! (BTW V4.71)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Fret

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.71)

Post by Fret »

... but, but I was just about to play some 4.70 to join in the balance discussion.. guess I'm too late :(

Update looks awesome though, also kudos on the bat jokes. Keep it up!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote:... but, but I was just about to play some 4.70 to join in the balance discussion.. guess I'm too late :(

Update looks awesome though, also kudos on the bat jokes. Keep it up!
The overall balance hasn't changed much between 4.7 and 4.71 so the discussion thread is valid for either. You'll notice I've already changed that thread title to read 4.71.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote: Hardcore fishing changes definitely add more depth the the fishing system, but getting no fish at all without bait feels a little off. I really haven't played around with hardcore fishing enough to make a concrete statement about it, but it's setting off warning lights in my head, and it's something I'll look into more and possibly post about if there happens to be a balance thread for this version at some point.
Not sure what you mean here. It basically now acts as a means of converting the "useless" resources that tend to accumulate while you play (rotten flesh, etc.), into useful ones (fish), through the expenditure of time.

If anything, that seems far more balanced (and interesting) to me than the vanilla system that involves next to no investment to just get free stuff. I've almost never fished much myself because it always felt rather cheaty, but I know I will now be motivated to do so now because of this exchange system.

Anyways, please avoid idle speculation like this in release threads. Play with it, see what you think, then comment in a balance discussion thread if it's relevant. The above is pretty much the definition of theoretical wankery.
Lars

Post by Lars »

FlowerChild wrote:
Rianaru wrote: Hardcore fishing changes definitely add more depth the the fishing system, but getting no fish at all without bait feels a little off. I really haven't played around with hardcore fishing enough to make a concrete statement about it, but it's setting off warning lights in my head, and it's something I'll look into more and possibly post about if there happens to be a balance thread for this version at some point.
Not sure what you mean here. It basically now acts as a means of converting the "useless" resources that tend to accumulate while you play (rotten flesh, etc.), into useful ones (fish), through the expenditure of time.

If anything, that seems far more balanced (and interesting) to me than the vanilla system that involves next to no investment to just get free stuff. I've almost never fished much myself because it always felt rather cheaty, but I know I will now be motivated to do so now because of this exchange system.

Anyways, please avoid idle speculation like this in release threads. Play with it, see what you think, then comment in a balance discussion thread if it's relevant. The above is pretty much the definition of theoretical wankery.
Personally I feel it's just right. If you've ever fished yourself (no, not in MC!) you'll know pretty well that fish don't nom on sharp iron things unless they're encased in something yummy. Like maggots, bread or worms! If only we could find fly eggs in BTW, we could use those to put them in a live cow to turn it into a maggot factory!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lars wrote:Personally I feel it's just right. If you've ever fished yourself (no, not in MC!) you'll know pretty well that fish don't nom on sharp iron things unless they're encased in something yummy. Like maggots, bread or worms! If only we could find fly eggs in BTW, we could use those to put them in a live cow to turn it into a maggot factory!
Hehe...I remember having an idea long ago (I think it may have come up in the MCF thread) about the player accumulating leaches as they waded through swamps. Might be time to resurrect that idea :)
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I was going through the textures and noticed there are 2 files for the baited fishing rod. Is that intentionally or just a mistake? Just wanted to note that.
Otherwise another great update!

-Sockthing
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Lars

Post by Lars »

FlowerChild wrote:
Lars wrote:Personally I feel it's just right. If you've ever fished yourself (no, not in MC!) you'll know pretty well that fish don't nom on sharp iron things unless they're encased in something yummy. Like maggots, bread or worms! If only we could find fly eggs in BTW, we could use those to put them in a live cow to turn it into a maggot factory!
Hehe...I remember having an idea long ago (I think it may have come up in the MCF thread) about the player accumulating leaches as they waded through swamps. Might be time to resurrect that idea :)
I can imagine this has been said before, but the name Flowerchild kinda insinuates not shaving and bathing very often, smoking weed, and above all, being all about love, compassion and pacifism. Yet you have managed to create a game that only reflects that name in not shaving and bathing very often. Your name is like an angler fish, luring in innocent and naive boys and girls, and turning them into morally corrupted, masochistic individuals. I bet you do it all out of love and compassion for them though! <3

P.s.

I'm all for getting bit in the extremities by blood sucking slimies! Time for some good ol' medievil bloodletting =D
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Lars wrote: I'm all for getting bit in the extremities by blood sucking slimies! Time for some good ol' medieval bloodletting =D
Oh boy, medicine Minecraft style ;) (before the discovery of ghast tears and glistering melons)

Anyways, the new fishing content was a really good idea. I find myself actually motivated to fish, since it's probably one of the better uses for rotten flesh now and the only use for bat wings. Plus, it's much more realistic and fun finally.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Vexalor wrote:
Lars wrote: I'm all for getting bit in the extremities by blood sucking slimies! Time for some good ol' medieval bloodletting =D
Oh boy, medicine Minecraft style ;) (before the discovery of ghast tears and glistering melons)

Anyways, the new fishing content was a really good idea. I find myself actually motivated to fish, since it's probably one of the better uses for rotten flesh now and the only use for bat wings. Plus, it's much more realistic and fun finally.
Indeed! I really like that rotten flesh now has a sensible use, as it would just waste space in your chests before. If only there were some way of playing BTW with optifine+sonic ether's shadermod, fishing would be even more awesome! =D

What I also like about it is that together with the creeper oyster, it gives a strong incentive to hunt for creatures that make you empty your bowels in your wool pants. The stuff monsters now drop is something that will make your (MC)life so much easier. And every mob now drops something that makes it desirable to hunt. For the first time the player may actually feel like the bad guy, as the poor skeleton is merely defending his very valuable bones, and the zombie is just trying to hold on to his flesh. It may be stinky, but it's the only flesh he has :( And the creeper is all like: "If I can't have my oyster, nobody can!"

Some of the changes made in BTW lately seem very harsh as they push you outside your comfort zone, but all in all it makes for a different but amazing experience.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

First bat I killed since this update I felt like that creepy kid on the playground pulling the wings off butterflys. "Axe, bat. Bat, axe." SQUEAK!

The bat got its vengence though. Was chasing it around after whacking it once with my stone axe and almost fell 10 levels. Bloody bats can "run".
SilverWraith

Post by SilverWraith »

Thank you I love the bat wings :D
-J-

Post by -J- »

I've had a ton of fun in this update. Love the new fishing. Never when I played the vanilla Minecraft did I feel like this when I found a temple, village or a nether fortress. The feeling of succession, the feeling that I actually got something done. And for the first time: fishing was actually fun in minecraft. Thanks for the update, FC. Lovin' it. I'll stay tuned for moar.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

Lars wrote:What I also like about it is that together with the creeper oyster, it gives a strong incentive to hunt for creatures that make you empty your bowels in your wool pants. The stuff monsters now drop is something that will make your (MC)life so much easier. And every mob now drops something that makes it desirable to hunt. For the first time the player may actually feel like the bad guy, as the poor skeleton is merely defending his very valuable bones, and the zombie is just trying to hold on to his flesh. It may be stinky, but it's the only flesh he has :( And the creeper is all like: "If I can't have my oyster, nobody can!"
Personally, I don't see myself wasting diamonds on tools since I am trying to scrape every diamond I can into a fortune pyramid. For me Creepers nitre is a valuable enough drop because recently I have been manufacturing TNT in vast quantities for mining charges. I also don't think I will be using the oysters for fishing either because I have TONS of rotten flesh output from my mob trap.

Edit: I should probably note that I do VERY much like the ability to use rotten flash as bait.