Planetary Annihilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheInfernalEnchanter

Re: Planetary Annihilation

Post by TheInfernalEnchanter »

Yay! Lots of big booms!
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

That's a project I'm glad to support, even if it's only with a small amount. TA-style rts with offline/lan support? Yes, please. I'm just rather curious to know what the last two stretch goals are.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

logorouge wrote:That's a project I'm glad to support, even if it's only with a small amount. TA-style rts with offline/lan support? Yes, please. I'm just rather curious to know what the last two stretch goals are.
I am more hoping that they reach the two others we know about first.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
logorouge wrote:That's a project I'm glad to support, even if it's only with a small amount. TA-style rts with offline/lan support? Yes, please. I'm just rather curious to know what the last two stretch goals are.
I am more hoping that they reach the two others we know about first.
I certainly agree with you on this. Out of the three current goals, I am most excited for gas giants and orbital units. At the rate they are getting donations, I would be surprised if they did not reach $1.3M, and I am fairly confident that they will reach $1.5M. After that, I'm not sure. Lurking a bit on their forums, there are whispers of a single-player campaign as a stretch goal. I think Uber has their priorities right though, because for the people who really like the game and play a lot, the campaign takes up ~1% of total playtime, but is by far more expensive than the multiplayer component.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I would be perfectly happy without a singleplayer campaign. Really, campaigns serve as tutorials, something that can done without investing time into a full-blown campaign that needs to have a story and dialog written.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I agree, and apparently the guys at Uber do too, hence the planned non-inclusion of a campaign, unless it does happen to be a stretch goal.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Meh. Call me silly, but I enjoy single player campaigns. A series of linked missions is just more fufilling than infinite nearly identical random battles.

Granted, what I'm really looking for here is different scenarios with varied enough win conditions that I can't just use the same build order every game. What I'd like to see some game attempt is a campaign generator, that links 5-10 scenarios with cascading win/loss trees in a logical if not deep manner.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Meh. Call me silly, but I enjoy single player campaigns. A series of linked missions is just more fufilling than infinite nearly identical random battles.

Granted, what I'm really looking for here is different scenarios with varied enough win conditions that I can't just use the same build order every game. What I'd like to see some game attempt is a campaign generator, that links 5-10 scenarios with cascading win/loss trees in a logical if not deep manner.
It isn't that I disagree with you, it's more about bang for the buck, as FC likes to call it. A traditional singleplayer campaign can cost as much as $1M of a game's budget and countless programming hours, and the guys at Uber just don't have that kind of time and money, due to them running this thing through Kickstarter vs. traditional publishing methods.

Your idea of a random campaign generator seems pretty good however, you could suggest it, or make it into a mod.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

But... Between work, eating, Programming personal projects, Family time, Sleeping and BTW my available time is already at 0. Where Am i going to find the time to play this?

Anyone have a spare flux capacitor?
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

finite8 wrote:But... Between work, eating, Programming personal projects, Family time, Sleeping and BTW my available time is already at 0. Where Am i going to find the time to play this?

Anyone have a spare flux capacitor?
Meh, who needs sleep or food. Plus, being an antisocial teen helps with the family time, and I'm only working 20 hours a week. Not even Minecraft can fill all those hours. Totally contributed, just enough to get me into the Beta.

I like having a campaign. It gives a reason to play, because I rarely have someone I can play with on LAN. But if it comes with full MP, then I'll have some fun. ^_^
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Sleeping is for the weak. Switch to a Dymaxion sleep cycle and get those extra 4 hours a day!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Sleeping is for the weak. Switch to a Dymaxion sleep cycle and get those extra 4 hours a day!
Lol. My Boss would love that. "Hey, I'm gonna go have a sleep. Doyamind?"

On a more curious note however, do you or anyone actually follow that sleep cycle? (If this spawns a conversation, we will have to move into a new thread).
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I don't know about a Dymaxion schedule, but I only sleep about four or five hours a night and I'm not THAT exhausted...

Cutting out the caffiene helps once you get used to it by the way. Figured that out my first year of college. And exercise. You have much more energy that way.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I do on and off. Honestly I just sleep when I'm tired and have free time, and it turns out that means I sleep 4 hours a night and take a 1 hour nap in the afternoon. But I'm a stay at home parent with a second shift job and nocturnal tendencies learned from years of architecture studio. Also, apparently my mother follows a similar lack-of-sleep schedule and has for decades, so it may be my family is genetically inclined to it.

They say skipping sleep cuts years off your lifespan. But if I only have so many waking hours, why wouldn't I frontload them to my younger years?
LordOrmas

Post by LordOrmas »

For everyone hoping for a single-player campaign: they just added the 4th stretch-goal (Galactic war)! Go give it a look!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I have the same no time problemas mentioned above. I get about six hours of sleep add it is. In about a year I'm anticipating some life changes that will make me have less game time than I do now. Although I love this concept and game style, I'll hold off support and keep an eye on it. Hopefully I will find time for it.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

LordOrmas wrote:For everyone hoping for a single-player campaign: they just added the 4th stretch-goal (Galactic war)! Go give it a look!
All my free time after this is released just suddenly disappeared :(

A short while later:

Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Man, if we don't make the stretch goal, I hope they figure out a way to release the Galactic War as an expansion. I really want that!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Yeah, galactic war looks pretty awesome. It is way better than a scripted campain, and is actually rather similar to what Anarchitect suggested. According to kicktraq, the average projection says they will reach it, but there is always the chance that it will not.

Edit: Woot! They made $1.5M! We're getting lava and metal, and on the track to Galactic War. As a side note, in the developer interview, Uber said they were originally going to ask for $1.5M, but looking at other funded projects, they thought it was quite high (which it is) and decided to squeeze it down, also taking into account the fact that they'd get no money if they didn't make their goal. I was considering what would happen if they had asked for more, but I'm not sure if they would have gotten more from the fact that people really want this game, and so they will pledge more to get it, or if they would get less because people wouldn't back a project they think won't get funded (which is obviously counter-intuitive, because if only projects that met their goals got backers, no project would ever get any money). I strongly suspect that the second case would be tha case, as it were, though it seems counter intuitive if one really thinks about it.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

This does look like Spore, but reminds me more of what I always imagined Web Space Alliance could have been like (I always did enjoy bombarding planets to dust). And if the multiplayer is taking over solar systems, I'd say it's spot on.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Latest update, they've announced the final stretch goals with less than 3 days left.

$2.0m - full orchestral score
$2.1m - documentary on creation of the game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659 ... sts/306545

As of this post, they're at about $1.66m with 65 hours left to go.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Projections show they should reach the Galactic War stretch goal but I don't think they'll make the orchestral one.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/659943 ... ation-rts/
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Being a musician myself, I would give my right arm for that orchestral score. Especially the low brass features ;)

A short while later:

jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Rianaru wrote:Being a musician myself, I would give my right arm for that orchestral score. Especially the low brass features ;)
In this case you could sell your right arm in the black market (I'm sure you could get a lot of money for it) and then donate :) Go quickly though, time is running out
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.