Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
danielngtiger

Re: Tales of Woe: how has a feature of BTW killed your steve

Post by danielngtiger »

In my most recent base, I haven't had any incidents with soul urn devices, but in one of my more recent worlds, I was playing while tired (never a good thing to do with Flowerchild around!) and made the inevitable mistake of not powering a soul sand hopper. Needless to say, I quickly made a new friend. I had almost killed the Ghast with my arrows, but it was floating higher and higher, and the fireballs soon stopped. I don't know what quirk of the AI caused him to behave this way, but I have lived in fear of the jellyfish ever since.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Panda wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:
Panda wrote:does that not make sense in english? i understand the nake part though.
No no, it makes perfect sense. Not sure what he found that funny though.
i think he was saying chicken makes my literal butt feel better...eww... : (
gross boy : )
No I think he was reading your comment as: "My girlfriend had to get naked to make my ass feel better"
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Well, this didn't result in death, but it certainly pissed me off royally. I was out in my field prototyping a 4 item auto-kiln (I like to build semi-automated versions of things in my main base and then do full auto versions specific to each factory I build) and came back to concentrate some hellfire dust... to find all 9 of my crucibles gone.

Looked at the control panel and noticed the bellows light was on so it's obvious what happened. I left the fire stoked after cooking a ton of zombie flesh into glue and didn't even look before putting in my hellfire dust...

Took another hour to grind up more dust, create and fire my urns, and finally filter it all before I could recreate all the hibachis. Really annoying thing was I wanted those hibachis for my auto-kiln, not to replace blown up ones.

On the note of death. I always build my structures with manual ingress/egress and lots of temporary scaffolding so even my huge sky-trap I don't recall dieing while building.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

What the...? I don't even...
I reeaally shouldn't get close to my computer that late/early... I'm kinda impressed that post is even readable, lol.
So please 'scuse me for that...

...On the other hand, I'm still a failure at failing.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I was having fun in the nether when I noticed a nice fat clump of glowstone behind a narrow wall, I decided to mine it so I carefully broke trough holding shift, the abyss bellow me was only two wide so I started to turn around to make a bridge bellow me but instead I stared right in the pigman face that was charging at me. The mobfarm unnerfing update seems to make monsters actively search you out from a much bigger distance. That's why the damn pig was so long in coming. Naturally he knocked me off, into the lava. Poor steel plated Steve sank like a rock. With fire prot 3 I was fairly confident I could get out, but the lava was too disorienting, I dug down instead, and broke my mattock in the process.

The feeling of creeping doom is indescribable.

To be honest, I'm still fairly surprised that you sink in lava as fast as you do in water.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Ropes. I fall from them a lot or ghasts blast me off them on a few occasions. The point at which you get to the top of the rope and try to change direction to move from rope to ground i sometimes miss and go plummeting to the ground.

Also on one occasion a SFS mattock killed me. I mined out the ground beneath me by accident and becasue SFS melts smoothstone like butter a erant button press sent me into the lava.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Why can't I ever die epicly(???) Like that? Worst thing that happened to me in a btw world is when I used my ropes to get to my strip mine. That was when I learned optifine was not btw compatible.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
blithen

Post by blithen »

I had recently started playing minecraft again and I made some steel armor(not a full set though) and I was trying to get across some deep water by using this cobblestone path I made, well I accidently fell in and I ended up drowning and losing a majority of my steel items because I didn't know that steel made it so you couldn't swim. I also died and lost my items again the same way because I forgot this time that steel made you sink. :|
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Perfect. The first confirmed death due to heavy steel plate. I'm sure this puts a smile on FC's food intake appendage.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

And will very well be the last one as well <_<.

For me at least.
shoegun56

Post by shoegun56 »

So i were mining with mining charges, and while i set off the bombs, a green penis-like creature snuck up on me and blew up
i died, and all my items and blocks flew over to the lit mining charges....... and yeah, it ended how you think it did, 30-40 cooked fish, some wheat, my sfs battle axe, the level 34 enchated one, my compsite bow, my enchanted mattock,flint and steel, some diamond armor and the worst of all; 45 mining charges
THE END
Cheese. A green one. Yum.
Six

Post by Six »

shoegun56 wrote:So i were mining with mining charges, and while i set off the bombs, a green penis-like creature snuck up on me and blew up
i died, and all my items and blocks flew over to the lit mining charges....... and yeah, it ended how you think it did, 30-40 cooked fish, some wheat, my sfs battle axe, the level 34 enchated one, my compsite bow, my enchanted mattock,flint and steel, some diamond armor and the worst of all; 45 mining charges
THE END
I had something similar happen, where BTW didn't kill me, but indirectly made me lose items.

I was working up on my skyisland when I took a bad fall on a ladder and died. Problem was, night had not passed while I was up there so my spawn was still on the ground. I rushed over to the bottom of my elevator (the only way up to the island) and of course I had forgotten to lower it after going up the previous time. Also, it is 128 blocks tall. So knowing the 5 minute item decay counter is ticking down, I hit the call button and all I can do is wait.

A little over 2 minutes pass, I jump on as it arrives and quickly hit the button. And all I can do is wait, counting down those seconds.

Finally after the (also over 2 minute) ascent I leap off, run over to where I died and scramble to grab what I can of the strewn about items, which somehow ended up everywhere. I at least got my enchanted pick and axe back, but lost about half the other things I had on me.

~FIN~
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I was mining for materials (after exploring a cave full of monsters), as usual, when I suddenly heard rushing water. I dug to that direction, and a few minutes later I found a dark room with water, and one spider trying to swim in it. I pulled out my Infinity bow, and one-shot him. Even though I have stacks of mob drops I went to gather his strings and eye, because I can't leave items in places like that. I jumped into the water, and only after I was inside I remembered I was using an SFS srmor. Meh, it wasn't a big problem, because I just took off my armor, placed a few blocks and got out, standing in the middle of the room. I could finally see the whole room, and I was surprised: There were dozens of mobs, mostly skeletons, inside. And the room was huge. And then I finally got it - I was in the middle of my mob farm.

Needless to say, the skeletons quickly killed me (I had no armor). I wasn't very upset - My items should just enter the hoppers/crucible in the bottom. I ran back there from the right entrance, and found a smoking crater.

Oh, right, I had gunpowder in my inventory when I died.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Aw, man, you all have such nice stories. I rarely ever die any more. For the most part, the only malice that my soul-infested world has wrought upon Steve is that he has, on numerous occasions, fallen into a Crucible.

Even in my latest world, it has been 24 days and I've only died once. But I'll try my bestest! *ahem*

I've been decorating my Nether railway as a floating platform suspended by rope (using anchors on the platform and on the ceiling above). Now, as we all know, some times the ceiling in the Nether can be... very high. So for each support, I would place an anchor on the platform and pillar up to the ceiling, align myself with the anchor below, and place an anchor above.

What's nice about this is that if there's a small depression in the ceiling, you can then just stay up there and continue to place more rope on the anchor.

Then at one point, the dead silence of the Nether was suddenly cut by a whining sound, followed soon thereafter by a shriek; a Ghast spawned in firing range of me.

Which brings me to what isn't so nice about standing on a weak pillar in a depression in a very high ceiling, where anything that can see you would have to be approximately right below you.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Well not exactly kill but you've got to love how Steve can basically headbut a saw a couple of times without killing himself outright. The "Oumph" did save me a couple of times ;)

Ah suspension of disbelief, thou art sweet :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Before I actually got automation working, I manually powered down my windmills. Simple enough. So, seeing the capital yellow letters appear in front of my aiming point saying **RAIN**, I dashed into action! Made it just in time, disconnected the axle, and looked out over my domain with a sense of pride.
I take a drink of Pepsi and look back at the screen to see two white things floating ever so lazily towards me. "Oh piss..." Shot 1+2 destroy my windmills and my bridge back to safety. Shot 3 sends me flying out into my hemp farm. I'm running like crazy, my farm in ruins; when I start falling. Down 60 blocks in my mob trap to splatter on the ground. Hit respawn and am greeted by a message-"Your bed is obstructed or destroyed." I had ranged over 5,000 blocks to find some plains to build on... ADVENTURE!!
I returned to a wasteland, hoping to recover my inventory from the hopper below my mob trap, only to find a crater... Diamond armour, two diamond picks, mining charges , and worst yet, two full stacks each of gearboxes, axles, and coils of rope... Gone.
I built a fence around the area three high and posted a memorial plaque to the ones who lost their lives, and walked away. I'm still not 100% sure what went wrong, but that world was forever cursed...
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
orlandu84

Post by orlandu84 »

I should premise the following by stating that in real life I am both accident prone and absent minded.

My first time playing Minecraft with BTW I could not put the game down. So, I was up late one night processing concentrated hellfire when I did something incredibly stupid: I forget which of my stewing pots was stoked with a bellows and which was not. So, like an idiot, I put hellfire dust into a stoked stewing pot. I turned and walked away, and with almost comedic timing, turned around to see the explosion rip through my workshop and take me with it. I lost a lot of stuff, but I learned a valuable lesson - never underestimate my own stupidity:P
Yosuke

Post by Yosuke »

Elevator and ropes kill me the most times.
I normally don't use ropes for climbing, as (for me) it is pretty hard to climb on a rope without falling down.
But sometimes the elevator is somewhere below me and I don't want to wait, so I jump to the rope in the middle of the elevator ... and miss it...
Six

Post by Six »

Yosuke wrote:Elevator and ropes kill me the most times.
I normally don't use ropes for climbing, as (for me) it is pretty hard to climb on a rope without falling down.
But sometimes the elevator is somewhere below me and I don't want to wait, so I jump to the rope in the middle of the elevator ... and miss it...
Yeah, I tried using ropes in place of ladders for a while. After one too many falls I went back to ladders.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

YAY! BTW just fucked me good!!! :) :) :)

Well, indirectly anyways...

I decided to spend a bit of time working on an Enderman farm just now to take advantage of some of the new content.

Step 1) Go the end and build a "bridge" out into empty space so that Enderman spawning on the main island don't deduct from the eventual trap's spawn rate.

So, I built a nice single-block wide bridge out into space, looking down the whole time.

Getting 200 blocks away from the island, I turned back, to have my jaw drop when I realized that I had created a nice long spawn-pad for enderman with no other spawn locations open for them, and there was now a huge conga-line of endermen blocking off my only exit.

So, I started hacking them down. I probably made it about 50 blocks before a single hit got through and knocked me into the void. Full inventory full of power rails (actually...all my remaining gold in the world), regular rails, stone bricks, and a full set of soulforged steel equipment...into the void.

In retrospect, there were several options open to me other than the kamikaze run I performed, but in the heat of the moment, none of them occurred to me :)

Guess I may need to reprioritize and build a pig-man farm next ;)
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Awesome
you know between developing features and playing the game human beings sometimes need something called sleep :P
Twololcats

Post by Twololcats »

My steve was not killed by btw but tis a tale of woe regarding btw
i just found multiMC and thought i would use it to switch between vanilla btw and other mods
at first i freaked out because my world wasnt there but then i remembered it was in the multimc file
so i started multimc and played my btw minecraft, only to have a mini heart attack and realize almost all the blocks and items from btw were deleted, the mod was installed (im fairly sure) but most of my stuff was deleted and i had some good progress
i even tried the world (which i forgot to backup) on my regular minecraft which has the mod, same thing, but some items in chests and my anvil survived

ah well, better go start a new world
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Flowerchild:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:YAY! BTW just fucked me good!!! :) :) :)

In retrospect, there were several options open to me other than the kamikaze run I performed, but in the heat of the moment, none of them occurred to me :)

Guess I may need to reprioritize and build a pig-man farm next ;)
You should've been on IRC yesterday then. We happened to discuss the exact same situation, only for Itamarcu, if I'm not mistaken. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote:You should've been on IRC yesterday then. We happened to discuss the exact same situation, only for Itamarcu, if I'm not mistaken. :P
Oh, I'm sure there will be more than a few of these kinds of deaths happening soon. Incentivizing systems that people weren't motivated to use before is bound to generate casualties ;)