Syruse Reviews: Another (now viewing)!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Syruse

Re: Syruse Reviews: Neon Genesis Evangelion (DONE)!

Post by Syruse »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Well the characters were a means to an end, and to that end they were all as they should be ;]
Yes... the ending, twas sad.

On another note: I'll probably be watching Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 on Tuesday. For the next review, should I do End of Evangelion or something else?
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Syruse

Re: Syruse (PRE)Reviews: Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22

Post by Syruse »

I'm going to post a quick summary on my opinions on Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 under the Anime Review section. I just got done watching it. :D
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ive been reading the manga for years now, and its finally coming to an end!!
Never say no to Panda.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Pre-review of Rebuild of Evangelion is up.

-Discuss
Panda

Post by Panda »

Im about to unleash some jealousy: i saw evangelion shin gekijoban ha in the cinema well i was visiting faimly in Kanagawa C:
Never say no to Panda.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Panda wrote:Im about to unleash some jealousy: i saw evangelion shin gekijoban ha in the cinema well i was visiting faimly in Kanagawa C:
Oh man, that must have been one hell of an experience.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Syruse wrote:
Panda wrote:Im about to unleash some jealousy: i saw evangelion shin gekijoban ha in the cinema well i was visiting faimly in Kanagawa C:
Oh man, that must have been one hell of an experience.
I was one of maybe 20 girls in the cinema. But boy I fanboyed it, rei was my first girl crush hehe.
Never say no to Panda.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Panda wrote: I was one of maybe 20 girls in the cinema. But boy I fanboyed it, rei was my first girl crush hehe.
:D Rei has to be my favorite character. It felt like she had a lot more presence in Rebuild, she was a lot more noticeable, mainly due to her voice. (at least in the dub)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Syruse wrote:
Panda wrote: I was one of maybe 20 girls in the cinema. But boy I fanboyed it, rei was my first girl crush hehe.
:D Rei has to be my favorite character. It felt like she had a lot more presence in Rebuild, she was a lot more noticeable, mainly due to her voice. (at least in the dub)
Omg like 200 guys made fan girl noises when shinji pulled rei out of the angle :3
Never say no to Panda.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Panda wrote: Omg like 200 guys made fan girl noises when shinji pulled rei out of the angle :3
Ohhhh I know! It was just so beautiful. I truly applaud how powerful that moment was, it was like nothing else mattered in the world. A wonder to behold.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Syruse wrote:
Panda wrote: Omg like 200 guys made fan girl noises when shinji pulled rei out of the angle :3
Ohhhh I know! It was just so beautiful. I truly applaud how powerful that moment was, it was like nothing else mattered in the world. A wonder to behold.
Got it'll be great when 3.33 comes out in 2043! Damn you anno!
Never say no to Panda.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

On the ending of NGE,

If I recall correctly, the movie ending was created after viewers outside of Asia simply did not understand the original ending. This to the dismay of many fans of the show and the original author as it truly was a work of art. If you pause the movie at specific moments you will the rage of the author as well, as still images (mere micro seconds in the clip and not really visible if watching it normally) show very gorey scenes of certain characters being killed and such. :P
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I once had NGE on my drive - most of it anyway. It was fun, if very emotionally draining. But the last two episodes were missing. I really wanted to see that ending everyone was and wasn't talking about. I never understood if it's just so hard to describe or if everyone loved it so much that they didn't want to spoil the experience.

But I never bothered to actually get those last two episodes and watch 'em. I think I'll get them now.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Panda wrote:
Syruse wrote:
Got it'll be great when 3.33 comes out in 2043! Damn you anno!
Fall isn't that far away ;) But the wait will be a long one.
FaceFoiled wrote:On the ending of NGE,

If I recall correctly, the movie ending was created after viewers outside of Asia simply did not understand the original ending. This to the dismay of many fans of the show and the original author as it truly was a work of art. If you pause the movie at specific moments you will the rage of the author as well, as still images (mere micro seconds in the clip and not really visible if watching it normally) show very gorey scenes of certain characters being killed and such. :P
Not to mention the other subliminal messages within EoE. While I understood the original ending, I just couldn't accept it as the end of the series. Now the whole original work is nigh irrelevant to me after seeing Rebuild. Rebuild a masterpiece, Hideaki Anno is a genius.
Poppycocks wrote:I once had NGE on my drive - most of it anyway. It was fun, if very emotionally draining. But the last two episodes were missing. I really wanted to see that ending everyone was and wasn't talking about. I never understood if it's just so hard to describe or if everyone loved it so much that they didn't want to spoil the experience.

But I never bothered to actually get those last two episodes and watch 'em. I think I'll get them now.
The original Episode 25 and 26 were quite the ride, you're in for some seriously heavy moments.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Syruse wrote: The original Episode 25 and 26 were quite the ride, you're in for some seriously heavy moments.
See? This is what I'm talking about :D.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Can I suggest some review material? Have you watched Last Exile yet? To me, that's one of the greatest animes of all time, so I'd really love to see a second opinion on it :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Oeh, and a short show; FLCL =D FURRIECURRRIE!!!!! <3
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Poppycocks wrote: See? This is what I'm talking about :D.
:P Its one of those things you just have to see for yourself, no one has the same opinion on the ending.
Gilberreke wrote:Can I suggest some review material? Have you watched Last Exile yet? To me, that's one of the greatest animes of all time, so I'd really love to see a second opinion on it :)
Not one I've seen before, although if I can find it I'll watch it. :D
I'm more or less on an Evangelion spree. I still have to do the review for End Of Evangelion, Rebuild, and I want to read the NGE Retake doujinshi (I heard it was superb).
FaceFoiled wrote:Oeh, and a short show; FLCL =D FURRIECURRRIE!!!!! <3
God, I did love FLCL. XD
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I'll be honest, I never "got" FLCL. I just had no idea what it was doing or trying to do and I didn't end up enjoying it much.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Caboose wrote:I'll be honest, I never "got" FLCL. I just had no idea what it was doing or trying to do and I didn't end up enjoying it much.
It was basically a coming of age tale with an overlay of utterly random and hysterical plot points that drive the story. Not understanding that is completely understandable as most of the humor from FLCL was a direct reference from Japan at the time. The dub changed some of the dialog to better fit an American audience while still keeping in context with its original Japanese counterpart, IMO they succeeded in this.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

I've just finished watching Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 again, if you haven't seen it go watch it NOW.

It turns out I wasn't able to get Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11, so I'll be using my back up plan to split the reviews of 1.11 and 2.22 and write them separately, more work but I need to get something done on them. I haven't exactly been feeling great the past few days so I'm not sure when I'll post the review for 2.22.

I am currently in progress writing the review for Rebuild 1.11 AND 2.22. Disregard the above. ;)
Syruse

Re: Syruse Reviews: Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 (WIP

Post by Syruse »

The review for Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 is up!

Please read and discuss!
Syruse

Re: Syruse Reviews: Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 (don

Post by Syruse »

(Not a necro, new content :D)
I've begun reading the doujinshi Evangelion RE-Take by Studio Kimigabuchi. For thoes who don't know; RE-Take is a fan-made sequel to Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evandelion. I'm now on Volume 2 of 3 of the 'all ages' version (I don't need to see the sex scenes), so far I like it. I should have the review up either tomorrow or Thursday, depending on if I'm in the mood to read. :p

-Please Discuss
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

As an Eva fanboy(I suddenly wanna wash my mouth out saying that) I've been paying attention to this thread if not contributing much and saw your reviews on the Rebuilds, I heard about them but was rather squeamish on getting them as I have had issues on remakes in the past, but this seems more than just a simple remake.

As a suggestion for other anime you could do I offer Macross as a nice series, or you COULD go off the wall and cover Digimon and go in depth on how the whole "crest" concept is to make a point on how your personal strengths make you stronger in life for the long run....or something like that lol.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

DreamsofFury wrote:As an Eva fanboy(I suddenly wanna wash my mouth out saying that) I've been paying attention to this thread if not contributing much and saw your reviews on the Rebuilds, I heard about them but was rather squeamish on getting them as I have had issues on remakes in the past, but this seems more than just a simple remake.

As a suggestion for other anime you could do I offer Macross as a nice series, or you COULD go off the wall and cover Digimon and go in depth on how the whole "crest" concept is to make a point on how your personal strengths make you stronger in life for the long run....or something like that lol.
Theirs nothing wrong with being a fan boy ;)
As for Rebuild, their has been some crazy theories about it:
Spoiler
Show
Some speculate its a sequel to Neon Genesis, much like how RE-Take is a sequel.
I highly recommend giving them a watch.

Digimon is a series I haven't seen in years! I had just turned 6 years old when I first aired on American Television, oh my childhood[/nostalgia].
Macross looks to be a fairly long series, I'll catalog it for a future review. I want to focus on short(er) anime for now. After I do the review for RE-Take I'll get off my ass and try and fix the subtitles on an anime I just picked up called Another. and then maybe Durarara!!!.

Thanks for the support :)