HOLY CRAP Do I have a lot of work on my hands.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Re: HOLY CRAP Do I have a lot of work on my hands.

Post by jorgebonafe »

morvelaira wrote:*holds FC and rocks gently*

There, there, darling. It will be okay in the end. There, there.
O.O

Ok, if that avatar doesn't makes things better, nothing ever will.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The thing I really don't get about all this is the following:

MCP is on the way out. The mod API is coming and it won't likely be necessary anymore.

Now, I can see a change like they just made to the parameter names being a good idea if MCP was going to be around for a long long time. But it isn't. Not only are they basically wasting their own time making changes like that, they're also wasting the time of everyone that uses MCP.

Arg!

Forgive my rant. This is supremely fucking annoying and a complete waste of my time. THIS is basically the task I was dreading having to perform when the mod API came out, and it was just sprung on me out of nowhere for no good reason, and now I'm going to have to do it twice.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I just can't handle this. It seriously has me on the verge of tears.

In 25 years of programming I've had to deal with a lot of utterly retarded shit. I am not joking or exaggerating when I say this absolutely takes the cake on the most idiotic thing I've ever seen.

Utter despair. I'm going to take a nap and try to recoup a small shred of sanity.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Is there any possibility of the MCP people reversing this change if there's enough complaint from the modding community?

Or is everyone just stuck with it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Miss_Kat wrote:Is there any possibility of the MCP people reversing this change if there's enough complaint from the modding community?

Unlikely. Many people have likely already made the port and that would mean them going through it again.

Also, from talking to the MCP people, they seem to think this is "no big deal", and honestly, I probably make more base-class modifications than anyone else out there, so no one else is likely hit as hard by this as I am.

I think I am just truly and thoroughly fucked on this.

EDIT: I now have 3 out of around 50 files done. Go team!
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Damn.

Well I for one support you taking as much time as necessary to deal with this pain in the ass, even if that means doing 1file a day or less. I'm in no rush to start a new world for 1.2.3 anyway.
steveman0

Post by steveman0 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Miss_Kat wrote:Is there any possibility of the MCP people reversing this change if there's enough complaint from the modding community?

Unlikely. Many people have likely already made the port and that would mean them going through it again.

Also, from talking to the MCP people, they seem to think this is "no big deal", and honestly, I probably make more base-class modifications than anyone else out there, so no one else is likely hit as hard by this as I am.

I think I am just truly and thoroughly fucked on this.

EDIT: I now have 3 out of around 50 files done. Go team!
Just relax and take your time with it, we aren't going anywhere. :)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Take your time, breath and have a good rest! None of us are going anywhere, your sanity is far more important than the update.

I don't want the misguided actions of the MCP team to sap your interest. And hey, if ever there was a good day to reopen discussion about accepting donations . . .
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, a couple of hours sleep did me some good. Going to slowly chip away at this, over the coming days, but I suspect any update pestering on MCF will have me handing out "go fuck yourselves" instead of cake :)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, a couple of hours sleep did me some good. Going to slowly chip away at this, over the coming days, but I suspect any update pestering on MCF will have me handing out "go fuck yourselves" instead of cake :)
You should relegate that duty to the flying turtles, you sound like you'll have enough on your hands to begin with.

I'd pick up a Fuck Youzi myself and start opening fire at MCF, but I'm busy myself (though not nearly as busy as you by the looks of it).
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

just a point FC and RaustBlackDragon but with the API closer than it has ever been maybe not updating to 1.2.3 and instead waiting for the new API would be a better idea. This would save you having to refactor the code two times.
RaustBlackDragon

BigShinyToys wrote:just a point FC and RaustBlackDragon but with the API closer than it has ever been maybe not updating to 1.2.3 and instead waiting for the new API would be a better idea. This would save you having to refactor the code two times.
I'm all too happy to not update to 1.2.3 if it comes to that, actually. Not just because of the API, but because of the changes that need to be made to animals immediately:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/107 ... re-creepy/

I'm hoping I can work my way around this though. The things FC suggested, sadly, only seem to work for integers and strings, meaning I can't use it, but I'm trying to work together with MetroidFood to get something worked out.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The problem is that the mod API is coming at an unspecified time that could easily be months off.

I definitely have things I want to get done before then, so I'm just going to soak this one up and reserve a special place in hell for the MCP guy that acted like this was no big deal when I asked about it earlier today ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: I'm hoping I can work my way around this though. The things FC suggested, sadly, only seem to work for integers and strings, meaning I can't use it, but I'm trying to work together with MetroidFood to get something worked out.
That's simply not true Raust. If you take a look at the second example I provided you in the other thread, you'll see that I'm setting arrays of blocks. You can do it to anything.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: I'm hoping I can work my way around this though. The things FC suggested, sadly, only seem to work for integers and strings, meaning I can't use it, but I'm trying to work together with MetroidFood to get something worked out.
That's simply not true Raust. If you take a look at the second example I provided you in the other thread, you'll see that I'm setting arrays of blocks. You can do it to anything.

Oh... derp. sorry about that.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

21 down. Almost half-way there, and with that I am calling it for the night.

To paraphrase:

Their suffering shall be legendary...even in hell.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

FlowerChild wrote:21 down. Almost half-way there, and with that I am calling it for the night.
Christ man. Every time I see you talking about this sort of thing my respect for your personal strength and perseverance grows. Take as long as you need, don't overwork yourself. We are happy to wait as long as you need. Personally, I didn't expect to hear anything about an update for at least a few weeks more, so anything within a few months is generous of you :P
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

FlowerChild wrote: Their suffering shall be legendary...even in hell.
I would sig that if I didnt want to be lazy and think my sig alone is bigger than everyone elses so far.....

Sleep well mighty warrior and you can slay the heathens after a well deserved rest.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DreamsofFury wrote: I would sig that if I didnt want to be lazy and think my sig alone is bigger than everyone elses so far.....
It's a Pinhead quote. Hellraiser 1 or 2. Can't remember :)
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Too tired to dig out my Hellraiser collection at the moment, but that seems like a Hellraiser 1 quote. Pinhead wasn't all that talkative in the second one, if my memory serves me right.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Darp /facepalm.....I should know as it hasent been THAT long since I watched those last....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Miss_Kat wrote:Too tired to dig out my Hellraiser collection at the moment, but that seems like a Hellraiser 1 quote. Pinhead wasn't all that talkative in the second one, if my memory serves me right.

Turns out it is the 2nd one :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095294/quotes
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Damnit. I have lost all my horror aficionado cred. Ah, well. Now I have an excuse to re-watch them!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Miss_Kat wrote:Damnit. I have lost all my horror aficionado cred. Ah, well. Now I have an excuse to re-watch them!
Yeah, it's been a few years for me as well. I might have to do that myself :)

The 2nd is definitely my favorite. Hate 3. Only like parts of 4, and try to forget they made any after that ;)
badmojo98

Post by badmojo98 »

rofl... i only just watched the hellraiser movies for the first time last year. the idea behind the demon guys (trolobites?) was just plain awesome, but yeh it started to go bad after a few, and by number 8... holy shit. the difference is worse than in the final destination series.
Spoiler
Show
edit: rofl, i had to go check... Cenobites! for an evil entity, they shit on the concept of a devil.
edit edit: FC, bring hellraiser to Minecraft!! when going through chests you have a random chance to find that key-box thing, and when you open it, there's a little puzzle, and when you finish the puzzle, a doorway into a new dimension opens up!! (never fear, this isn't a real suggestion)
Last edited by badmojo98 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No one would say that what they were doing was complicated. It wouldn't even be considered new, except for maybe in the geological sense. They took from their surroundings what was needed and made of it something more.
- Primer