Portal 2

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Mrchaim

Re: Portal 2

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:Huh. I'm actually surprised so many people feel similarly to the way I do. If you take a look at metacritic, the reviews for the game are all so astronomically good, that you would think no one had a single complaint about the game.
I think the trick is that for a vast majority of people, myself included, it was brilliant for a single play through, niggles about things aside.

...I'm yet to go back and replay it, despite my love of it's humor and visuals.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that stuff like metacritic is that helpful - lookit, say, Skyrim.

It's got it's high points for sure, but it's also one of the most horribly designed games I've played in recent memory with half-arsed mechanics all over the place, and stuff that could have been put in and wasn't (by way of example - Skyrim's a mountainy place. Navigating these is... hard, unless you have a horse because horses say "fuck you gravity". And yet, no where in skyrim is there any kind of mountain climbing gear - Even just a simpleish grapple and rope mechanic could have been huge and explored properly, could have given you cool ways to interact with exploring cities, caves and fighting things like dragons and giants. obviously, there's issues with implementing something like this, but hey, Just Cause 2 pulled it off.)

Pretty, sure, and the exploration is kinda neat, but everything else wears thin very, very rapidly.

...And yet it's being lauded as game of the year in a lot of places - It's a flashy game for sure, but it has no substance.
Slev

Post by Slev »

Skyrim is so lauded, in my opinion, because of how open world it is. Though I do agree, mountains are the worst things in existence. However, you have to remember, this world's time period technology is around the 1200s, forgetting magic and dwemer technology for a moment, mountain climbing wasn't exactly feasible. Back to magic, I feel a hover/flight spell would have been something worth being put in. /end off topic

Portal 2 is only worth another play through if you noclip and mess around with some of the things in the level, or set goals like, just orange gel to reach somewhere supposedly unreachable. Co-Op is more fun, but the problem with co-op isn't the difficulty of the puzzles, a lot of the time the most annoying thing was timing a block to fall at just the right moment.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Stormweaver wrote:I ended up settling for watching a co-op lets play (BDouble00 and Guude could make paint drying funny)
God, now I went and watched that. That's just horrible man. I don't know these guys, but they are about the dumbest people to ever play a video game :/

The puzzle where they need to open the vault doors, I think they spend like 2 hours on the section. The whole thing is riddled with arrows telling you where to look and go and they still spend ages trying the same solution that obviously doesn't work :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Aside from a couple puzzles I had to spend a couple minutes working through, I was able to fly through Portal 2. Only real issue I ran into was where the game arbitrarily told me that no, the round hole has to go onto this round peg before we'll let you put it on the other pegs. It felt like playing a movie, which was fine for what it was but basically only showcased the new elements rather than really using them.

I loved playing through it and even though I figured out at the first Caroline mention what had happened I still enjoyed the dialogue. Still and all, I'm glad I got it for less than $10.
Better is the enemy of Good
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

DaveYanakov wrote:I figured out at the first Caroline mention what had happened
Yeah, they didn't really give players enough credit there. We are smarter than that plot, could've been a bit less obvious.

On the other hand, I quite enjoyed the exposition about who Wheatly really is, so all's good
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx