Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal. Chapter 20, 27/11

A place to talk to other users about the mod.

Just click 'Yes' If you're a regular reader, so I know how many of you there are.

Yes
89%
The other option
11%

Total votes: 95
KriiEiter

Re: Witnessing the end - a minecraft Journal

Post by KriiEiter »

Stormweaver wrote:
Rugaard wrote:i spent the first few days sitting infront of my cobble generator grinding away so i can make a quarry

getting the piston to automatically push the cobble towards me before i got the quarry helped save a lot of time
Could you put spoiler tags around that? Saves people's bandwidth ^.^

Personally I just afk with a mug balenced on my mouse whenever I'm away from the PC for short periods. Diamods...kinda outside the journal's current tech really, though I was testing pre-soul urns, so just had 8 BD's surrounding a lava source. ~10 cobble a sec was nice. bit OP though.
Dang, sounds fancy. I've just been using my two BD/lever setup to get my cobble fix. I hope to automate it to produce copious amounts of cobble, but I really need a turntable to justify it.
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm. Ended up playing a fair bit more, but at least I took some screenshots while doing it. Without further...something something. *insert possibly french word I can't think of right now*
(Sans plus attendre, mesdames et messieurs, j'ai l'honneur de vous présenter ...
-Batto)

Part 5: Farming (no 'large' option anymore? curse you fools and your use of stupidly small fonts)

I thought I would sleep well...I guess I did. Vivid dreams though...I was on an island, in the middle of a huge ocean. Everything...was grey. Not the grey of some monotone dream, but the grey of fungus infesting...everything. Where I expected grass, there was just a carpet of spores. Trees were replaced by those huge mushrooms I made what feels like a few days ago...and the cows. Cows, with red mushrooms growing on them. I must be going insane. I need some new food...I've had it with mushrooms.

Anyway, My plans for today involve farming, farming and farming. I found some seeds which look suspiciously like wheat in the tall grass that grew when it last rained, hopefully I'll be able to make something of them - at the speeds things grow here, I may be eating bread soon. I've missed bread.

Spoiler
Show

Farming is easier than I expected. I always fancied the idea of retiring into a small farm when I got too old to mange the factory...I guess there's no harm in starting a small farm now. If only my family was here with me...my wife loved plants. At any rate, I created two pools for water out the front of the house, and planted reeds there. They looks kinda nice, and don't mind being walked on a little, should I need to get inside in a hurry. Going clockwise are a small melon and pumpkin patch each, with a small irrigation channel next to each. I've been looking forward to eating pumpkin again, so I put a little bonemeal on each straight away - as expected, they grew almost instantly. I may have to confront some more skeletons soon...but I'll worry about that later. Around the back of the house is a small grove of birch trees. I was hesitant at first, but all it took was a little tweaking of the saplings I had, and the intervention of the philosophers stone, and they were ready to be planted. This thing really is too convenient, being able to manipulate living things like that. On the final side of the house is what I'm most looking forward to - a small wheat farm. Once grown, I'll be able to make bread. Not that I have the slightest clue on how to make flour without a millstone....

I also have that cactus. I'll try planting it on some sand out front...I can't think what I'd ever need cactus for though. This garden still seems too arid. It's getting dark, but I've got time to try and move some of the turf up here, hopefully it'll spread as fast as everything else.

That cactus grew quickly. I split it and replanted it. Must. think. of. uses. for. cactus.

I'm disappointed. Both the pumpkin and melon fruited fast enough, but the pumpkin is all woody...not at all how I remembered it. At the least, it feels like a waste of the wood I used to cook it. The melon was fine, but far from filling. I'm determined to avoid mushroom stew again. I don't want anymore dreams like that.

I woke up to rain today. It seems heavier than last time, but I should be fine to get outside long enough to check on things.

Spoiler
Show

The grass has spread nicely, some of the wheat is ready for harvest, and it seems some long grass has sprung up. I'll deal with that later - try and get some more wheat seeds - but for now it's surprisingly cold. I'm back inside with some sticks burning away in the furnace for warmth, and now I need to figure out how to make a millstone. Looking out the window; did I mention I made windows? The glass from simply melting sand isn't too clear, but it lets the light in and keeps the rain out at least. I was...yeah. Looking out the window, there are some small flowers...dandelions? I guess they're weeds. Nice to see signs of life in this otherwise lifeless world.

Spoiler
Show

I hate being cooped up inside, but this rain won't stop. I've even had time to fashion a crude millstone, and a crank for it. It'll be tough work - I couldn't make a small version, so it ended up being an industrial sized machine - but It'll be enough to make flour. I really hate being cooped up. Maybe I should expand on this island a little?

The rain must have stopped while I was asleep. Going outside I see another melon has grown...I guess that'll do for breakfast. Hopefully supper will be bread. Hopefully.

I've build a small bridge leading off the island to a small platform. I guess the millstone can go here, these things can be noisy if I ever work out a better way of powering it. I thought I saw something fall from above me earlier...feathers? Could it be that somewhere above me, there are birds? If I could just get some of those feathers...

Spoiler
Show

It was a bit of work, but I have flour. I've worked up a bit of an appetite too...I just hope I can cook something edible. I never was great at baking. Some more of those feathers fell while I was working...They're on the bridge leading back to the house. There was a series of caves under my village when I was a child, and near the bottom, pools and pools of green slime. Some people said it was alive, that they had seen it rise and move about as if it had a life of it's own. When I was in the academy, I had heard talk of them importing large shipments of it, using it as a form of 'life' or something, so they could make...something. I can only imagine they needed it to create something alive...if I could use something similar, with those feathers...it might be wrong, but could I create life?

The flour is in the furnace, with a soft fire under it. Bread takes a while to bake, or so I remember, so I thought I'd give this 'slime' business some thought. As living things go, on this island there's me, the plants and the grass. And perhaps that water...it does kinda feel like slime. Maybe I'll take out that stone again, see if I can do anything. Some poultry would be nice to go with this bread...

Spoiler
Show

Ah, the taste of civilisation. Maybe I'll sleep well on this full stomach tonight.

Note: In regards to those 'feathers falling from the sky' what really happened is that while I was getting my flour, a small flock of chickens spawned outside my house. In 1.8. I guess not having much space to spawn ups the odds for it happening...at any rate, it didn't feel right so I killed them. With my axe. Then I realised that random get of feathers makes more sense than steve going out of his way to transmute some, so...yeah. Ignore the chickens. Until next chapter at least. Hey, it's not like they're hard to get (5 string and a stick).
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

KriiEiter wrote:Dang, sounds fancy. I've just been using my two BD/lever setup to get my cobble fix. I hope to automate it to produce copious amounts of cobble, but I really need a turntable to justify it.
It was a little complex I admit, but the arrangement is exactly the same as yours - just moving the lava so it flowed in 4 directions before getting cobbled. As for a clock, you don't have to wait for a turntable...mine was done with a sticky (EE ftw) piston clock and a monostable. it needing resetting whenever I opened the world wasn't really that big a deal.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

Stormweaver wrote:
Spoiler
Show
KWilt wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
KriiEiter wrote:I'm super glad that we'll be able to tan leather with wood since getting a wolf on the island is impossible. =D
I can think of a couple of ways to get wolves. Infact, I'll be using one of them in a couple of chapters.

I won't spoil how ^.^
Most definitely not how you've done it, but a thought:

Since we have the entrapment of souls in tiny boxes urns, couldn't we feasibly transmute these souls into husks and, dare I say it, create beings now?

It's so evilishly delicious.
I was thinking of doing something like that as a kinda plot device; though making pottery before dung sounds difficult ^.^

Don't worry, some of the more immoral parts of BTW will be showing up.
its not hard at all if your having animals spawn, using the P stone on an animal changes it randomly into another kind only for the cost of a glowstone, turned a sheep into a wolf on first try lol

so far how many animals are spawning on your island? so far ive gotten 1 group of sheep 2 groups of chickens and 1 group of cows
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Rugaard wrote: so far how many animals are spawning on your island? so far ive gotten 1 group of sheep 2 groups of chickens and 1 group of cows
I've been within range of my patch of grass most of the time up till now, those chicksn are the only things i had.

When I was doing the testing for it all though, I had a ton of sheep spawn. Then I had a pack of wolves spawn. Then I didn't have any sheep. Then...i dunno. It kinda felt like normal MC spawning (1.7~) just a little rarer tbh. Wasn't really paying attention. It does ruin the feeling of being alone on an island though :|

Just gotta upload the screenshots and I'll post the chicken chapter. Then...I guess i'll move onto actually doing things.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Rugaard wrote: its not hard at all if your having animals spawn, using the P stone on an animal changes it randomly into another kind only for the cost of a glowstone, turned a sheep into a wolf on first try lol

so far how many animals are spawning on your island? so far ive gotten 1 group of sheep 2 groups of chickens and 1 group of cows

I haven't had any animals spawn on my island at all. I suppose I could make some eggs and then throw those to get some though.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

So here it is. Steve now has friends. Good for Steve.

Part 6: Company (still raging at the smallfont idiots about this)

It's been...4 days since my last entry. Nothing of real note happened until now and I really haven't done much. I restocked my supplies of stone, cleared some of the long grass that was spreading to my crops, and spent a lot of time thinking about slime. While I've come up with nothing of any real note on that front, clearing the long grass did reveal something...unexpected.
Spoiler
Show

The seeds I found didn't look particularly familiar, so I cleared a bit of room in one of my wheat fields and planted them, to see what they would grow into. I had my suspicions from the start, but it turns out to be what at least looks like a strain of industrial hemp - back in the factory, there was a whole building dedicated to processing the fibres from this plant. All I can do for the moment is wait for it to keep growing till I can harvest it...there are plenty of possibilities for the stuff.

I've noticed it's gotten colder these past few days. Is winter coming? I'm glad I have a house, but perhaps I should stock up on supplies.

Ugh, this island is too small. It takes less than a minute to walk from one side to the other...and I enjoy walking. Since my garden seems to be taking up more and more room, maybe I should make a small field somewhere? It's not like one will make itself, and it would be nice to have somewhere where I can watch the sun rise on a morning. I'll put it over near the millstone for now.

Spoiler
Show

I'm almost out of bonemeal now. A shame, since those flowers sprung up almost the moment I dug it into the soil. I'm getting a lot of random seeds from clearing some of the grass...I think I might have a use for them though. Plenty of things on this island seem to be able to develop 'life' without life really being present in the first place. And isn't something coming to life from nothing part of my plan?

It's been 2 days since I stuck as many seeds, saplings, cacti, mushrooms and reeds into this bucket of water as I could. The end result is more or less what I was hoping for - a green ooze, though it's a lot murkier than I'd have hoped. It's probably the most concentrated mixture of living things I can make, so...if anything's going to come of those feathers, now is the time to do it. I'll do it quickly, I don't want to spend a moment longer with that stone in my hand than I have to.

Spoiler
Show

Eggs. They look kinda like duck eggs, or maybe chicken. It was strange...while holding the philosophers stone, I knew exactly what to do...it's like the stone knows everything, and is just using me as a pair of hands to do the work. I'd never heard of anything like this happening...did I make it wrong? On the other hand, could I have done this without it's guidance? The goo just...enveloped the feathers, and moulded into the shape of these eggs. before I knew it, they were solid and just lying there. I've never liked eggs myself but...what if they're fertile? I...I should stick them in a warm place and keep an eye on them. I'll build an enclosure as well, just in case.

Spoiler
Show

from all of 15 eggs, 4 hatched. I don't know whether I'm lucky for any of them hatching at all, or the opposite for so few of them truly living. At the very least these...I suppose they're chickens, these chickens are quite lively. They keep trying to escape the fence, but I don't want them to fall off the edge. It's been so long since I've seen something else that I could really call 'alive' like this. If they do die however, I suppose I could always transmute some more eggs. And eat poultry that day.

Transmute. It's such a cold word to describe something this amazing.

Spoiler
Show

Huh...eggs. I suppose I should raise these ones as well...at least I won't have to create any more chickens myself. Hopefully.

Have I really been here so long that I'm actually happy to see chickens?
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Hooray you're no longer alone!

I've also transmuted some company for myself.
Spoiler
Show
Yay, two of each! I lol'd a bit when one sheep transmuted as magenta.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm...I feel I'm kinda losing the flow for the narrative. Perhaps it's fitting in Steve's situation?

Part 7: Inspiration from boredom. (grr)

I'm so bored.

The garden requires almost no maintenance, so long as I remember to harvest the melons and pumpkins every other day. Gathering more stone seems useless, as I already have so much of it sitting around unused. I have a large enough stockpile of flour to make bread whenever I need it, and the chickens are laying eggs regularly enough to kill and cook at least one a day. No monsters seem to be spawning anywhere nearby, and nothing else strange has happened since I found those feathers. I'm just so bored.

Spoiler
Show

The only reason I have anything to write today is because it seems enough of the hemp has matured to harvest it. It seems that unlike the rest of the plants I've seen so far, it grows slowly, and doesn't respond to bonemeal in the slightest, so I've been waiting quite a while. Grinding anything in that grindstone is hungry work, but it's not like food is exactly scarce right now...and I need to grind this hemp down if I'm going to do anything with it.

Spoiler
Show

I put some of that stone to use, to make a few more millstones and to extend that platform a bit. Not fun, not rewarding work, but it's something I guess. I kind of want to make something more impressive...I've not really focused on making anything actually look nice yet. It really is getting cold...maybe I'll have time to hand-weave a blanket before I sleep tonight? I've got nothing else to do till the hemp grows some more anyway.

Ugh, this is tiring work. Back in the days when things makes sense, there were machines that did all of this automatically, running millstones from coal powered generators. I always took for granted how much work those machines did...at least this this wind is keeping me cool. Seems to be getting stronger.

I'm going to build a windmill! I don't know if it'll work, but I think I should be able to weave some sails for it, and building hasn't been a difficult task since I got here - this might be fun. I wonder what else I could use machines to do?

Spoiler
Show

One day's work, and it's halfway done. I've built it high up to make sure it catches the wind, but it's above the platform my millstones are on - just in case I fall off. I can't help but think I'll need more sand for glass though. Should chop some more wood too, so I can make some easy stairs to the top. I'm saving grinding anymore hemp till the building is done...I don't want to lose momentum here. Time to sleep now...I can finish it tomorrow!

It's finished. Turns out I still had some sand over from all that time ago...I was glad not to have to transmute some more. I'm not even sure I remember how I did it...sure the stone would remind me though. I had to cut down some trees for the flooring...and I suppose I'll need some more wood for the mechanisms too, once I get that far. How should I go about making it? I'm used to seeing steel axles and machinery, and I don't even have any iron - not including my somewhat precious bucket. Wood should be good enough, after all it's only a windmill.

Spoiler
Show

I came back to store my excess materials to find a chicken had gotten loose. somehow. It's ruined half the melon patch...I should make a cage for them. If they can get into the garden, they can jump off the edges too...I don't want that. For now, That'll be food for today. Now just to gather enough hemp...I'll be glad when I can get this windmill to grind things itself.

Spoiler
Show
M!C

Post by M!C »

Very good, keep it up!
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

I love this story !
Looking forward to the next chapter !
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FurkeyRefills wrote:I love this story !
Looking forward to the next chapter !
I've got all the screenshots taken, just waiting till I know I can sit down for more than 5 mins at once to type it out >.<

Till then, here's an overview of what my world looked like when I took my screenshot. It contains spoilers. Not that that really matters, but I've noticed none of my screenshots really show the scope of what I've done so far. To be fair even this one doesn't (I really dislike vannilla cobble texture so I pretended that whole bit doesn't exist) but it looks pretty. Kinda.
Spoiler
Show
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

This thread is good and you should feel good.
What Strange Devices!
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Stormweaver wrote:To be fair even this one doesn't (I really dislike vannilla cobble texture so I pretended that whole bit doesn't exist) but it looks pretty. Kinda.
Spoiler
Show
My world looks much, much worse than yours does, trust me. Yours is all nice and organized, and pretty. Mine is basically offshoots from the island I started on, and everything looks rather ugly to me. I still haven't built a house or storage area.
Spoiler
Show
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I have really been enjoying reading this, and I hope you can stay interested in this project for quite a while to come! I especially enjoyed how you handled the justification of minecraft physics, and Steve's reaction to them! I can't wait to see what you'll do for the more advanced parts of the BTW tech tree! Keep up the good work!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Dirdle wrote:This thread is good and you should feel good.
I always feel good. You trying reverse psychology on me bro? No matter. Look down - next chapter, get-u.

Chapter 8: Completion (I miss having a slightly larger font for the title -.-)

Two days of working at the hand crank, three more weaving some sailcloth, and one last one braiding some rope, and I'm done with hemp. I never imagined it would take so much work to finish...but I've got enough to get the machinery made in the windmill. Since I'm lacking the precision-made axles I'm used to, I've decided that I'll transmit the mechanical power through rope, braced by wooden planks. It won't be able to transmit power too far - my guess of about 3 meters is as far as it'll get before tearing itself apart - but I have plans to make gearboxes too, which should solve that problem. The only Thing I own which needs power is that grindstone...am I putting too much work into this? I know I need a break. Sleep now, holiday tomorrow.

The odd fog which had lingered a little during these cold days seems to have burnt off this morning. Perhaps winter isn't coming after all. In the distance, I can see the tiny platform I lived on to begin with and it's floating block of mystery. Beyond that...
Spoiler
Show
Wow, the monsters must have really hated this place. It's still first thing in the morning and I can see the slowly disintegrating remains of things that had burnt apart in the sunlight. No spiders or creepers about though...stupid things must have fallen off.

Having a quick look around I got what would have once been an armful of bones and an astonishing 4 enderpearls. They don't seem quite as heavy as they once did. Strange that. Even strangers...how many endermen must have come and gone over time for this place to be damaged so much? Have I really not been down here in so long? No matter. I had originally made this place so I could 'study', before getting distracted by cursed alchemy. In truth, I could have been distracted by anything after the first few days. The monsters just don't seem as smart as I remember them being. Sure, If I got too close, I'd have everything gunning for me without fail; I lost track of the number of times I had to run for my life. When left alone however...normally they would just mill around, fall in holes or off the edge. I don't know how they get here, but...A supply of bones would be nice. Maybe there would be a way to trick them all?

I'll spend the rest of the day laid in my field. Maybe I'll come up with a good idea.

This was probably a bad idea, but I guess I got caught up in the moment. I decided to see where alchemy would lead me if I just started from base stone and threw things together. So far, it seems I can derive a fair few things just from stone, so long as I have enough of it. The most obvious result was the creation of Iron ore; very little of it, but know it can be done open up a whole load of possibilities. The other results were...curiously fascinating.
Spoiler
Show
Redstone, and glowstone. Both fairly rare minerals, both with unique qualities. Redstone I'm more familiar with; compressed into wire, it controlled most of the machinery in the factory I once owned. A very simple, but very useful discovery; moreso since I realised I may be able to use it to make the gearboxes for my windmill. They would work without it, but they would probably jam up every other hour. Glowstone I'm not quite so familiar with. It's not really a 'stone' in any sense of the word. What I learned in the academy; mainly when I was maintaining and building the aggregators there, was that glowstone is actually a concentrated form of a very rare particle in the air. Under the right conditions, it clumps together around an object, and results in this very powdery dust. Of course with a bit of pressure it can be changed into glowstone; small crystals that emit light constantly. Thoughts on aggregators aside...I heard rumour that this was a component in the philosophers stones that the tutors in the academy normally made. It may have just been bait for the apprentices then, but now...

If I could make a simpler stone, maybe one of these 'lesser' stones, would it affect me less? I feel tired today. Maybe a more normal one would be less draining to use. It still feels like the world is shaking around me whenever I even hold this one...has it always been like that? Time to sleep some more I guess.
Spoiler
Show
Ok, the gearboxes and axles are finished. They're hardly a work of art, but this should at least make breadmaking a little less tiresome. For now I'll move one of the millstones up to the windmill, and get it all hooked up. I had a thought last night, about making a new philosophers stone. Glowstone is a matirial that doesn't really exist as such, and...for some reason it reminds me of those enderpearls...in the same was white reminds me of black. If so...I figure I need a base for it to form around, and something like charcoal, which bears a resemblance to glowstone. Hmm.
Spoiler
Show
One storm and it'd probably break apart, but for now...the sails of the windmill are done, and all hooked up. It's loud; wooden axles shouldn't be as efficient as metal ones, after all - but it's powering the millstone well enough. Now I can make more flour. Grind more hemp.
...that's all I've got. Is this thing really worth all the effort I put into it? At least bread is nice.

I attempted to make a philosophers stone today. I'm getting the impression that flour, seeds, pumpkin and dirt won't work alongside the glowstone.

I attempted to make a philosophers stone today. Sand, gravel, flint, charcoal, coal, iron...nothing yet.

I attempted to make a philosophers stone today. Cactus, saplings, sticks....still nothing.

Redstone. It has to be redstone. So perhaps I threw it together by accident, but there's few ways of separating the two powders one mixed, even if done so by accident. Normally redstone will glow dimly when pressured, but this mixture burns like a pebble picked up after being in the sun in summer. It feels right somehow...but it won't form together. The first one just...merged. no real way of describing it differently, but i feel this is different. It needs to be bound somehow.

Random side effect. Took out the first stone, to compare it with the enderpearls, see if I noticed anything. Turned out they can be transmuted into diamonds. What use do I have for wealth in this place.
Spoiler
Show
I attempted to make a philosophers stone today. Glowstone, redstone and 'living' slime. I did it.
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

Stormweaver wrote:I always feel good. You trying reverse psychology on me bro? No matter.
Drat. Foiled again. xD
What Strange Devices!
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

great chapter !
Just wondering, have you thought of a name for your character ? Or is he just called steve ?

I vote for the name Bernard !
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FurkeyRefills wrote:great chapter !
Just wondering, have you thought of a name for your character ? Or is he just called steve ?

I vote for the name Bernard !
Well, so far what I'm thinking is:
No really, this is a spoiler.
Show
He might have had a name other than Steve, but he finds Steve written on the inside cover of the journal some point later on. It may well turn out that falling into the void and waking up in bed all of a sudden messes with your memory a bit. That and a sentient rock that seems to be controlling him. Or wearing possessed armour for no apparent reason. Listening to the screaming of tortured souls. etc. Either way, it's a cheap cop-out because I've never been able to come up with names, but I find it fitting.
See? Told you this was actually a spoiler.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Oh cool, nice story deflection !

I would love it if someone made a mod that you could put these images and the story in the a book in-game !
It could be cool if it worked with better than wolves and you unlocked parts of the story as you progressed through the tech tree.

Ahh... the sweet feeling of an opposite brain fart !
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm going to try to get chapter 9 written up tonight (once again all the screenshots are done long before I plan the story for it >.>) then I'll take a short break from it. This will be justified by 'Steve' spilling slime on the journal, and the dratted stuff taking a few days to dry. I'll still be playing during that time, but it'll just be making things look a bit nicer, and stocking up on resources so there wouldn't be much to write about anyways.

On a side note: hunting endermen is comparatively easy on skyblock. 1 pearl = 256 cobblestone. And so my cobble generator is now worthless ^.^
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ok, there's a wall of text here. I could have split it up, but...really, it didn't seem worth it. I've probably got about a hundred spelling mistakes in there too. Ignore them for now, I'll tidy it up later. I tidied it up anyway. Good for me.

Chapter 9: Learning and discovery

A lesser stone, huh.

I guess this is roughly the same kind of P. stone my tutor had. In my hand it feels more like a tool than a mystical implement, and that's what I was taught these stone to be. Now it's made, the original is at the back of my chest, under a pile of cobblestone and dirt, so I can avoid touching it again. I considered throwing it off the side...but it does work. And I can't risk not having a spare if something happens to this one, no matter how dark that thing is. I think I'll be a lot more comfortable experimenting with my new stone. I think I'll refer to the original as the 'Enderstone', just for clarities sake.

Spoiler
Show

I spent a load of time building today. I don't know why, but I've always liked seeing symmetry in construction, and the area next to my windmill just seemed imbalanced. Despite my long lunch, one involving mushrooms for the first time in a while, I've been able to get it done and it's still day light. I think I'll make this side a farm for now; it's near my millstone, and far away enough from the chickens, were one of them to manage to escape again.

Spoiler
Show

Turns out I didn't have enough seeds to even plant half of it, but the beginnings of my new wheat farm is done. Maybe I'd be able to transmute some more seed? It feels like a much better idea than it would have done before. Speaking of which...I really need to make a dedicated area for practising alchemy. It might just be me, but I don't think I'm fully comfortable with transmuting things right next to where I prepare my food, even if some of the transmutation involves making the food in the first place :| I know for a fact I got some redstone on the dough for my bread yesterday - that's one sour taste you don't forget in a hurry.

I think I'll build up on the roof. I can't see any reason not to, and having it semi-open to the sky will be a nice change to the claustrophobic atmosphere the workrooms had, back in the academy. Plus, Since I plan to catch up with detailing my observations as to how this world works, It'll be nice to be able to sit back and watch the world while I do so.

Spoiler
Show

My first order of business was to make a proper transmutation table. While the various circles and formula scratched onto the crafting table were sufficient for the work I'm used to, it doesn't hold any power for transmuting things in of itself - which is why I needed a philosopher's stone. Having a stone, I've been able to make the components needed for the creation of covelence dust, and now...I don't need a stone. Well, that may have been true normally, but since I never learned how to construct one of these tables properly it seems to be lacking the abilities to do some things. On top of that, since I can't seem to affix the dust properly anyway, it's going to be unsuitable for anything but transmutations. Still, it'll be a lot more convenient than having to set down the stone and arrange everything properly every time I need to get something done.

After that, I put in a couple of storage chests, a normal crafting table and a furnace; the latter simply so I can keep my food warm while I work. Odd how simple they are to make, here. I don't think I'd have even dreamed of anything like this back home.

Since I can't think of anything major to do today, I figured I'd catch-up a little and describe my observations on this world. If anything, getting them written down might help me understand something.

First of all, this world seems to have an appointed place for things to exist. In what I assume are uniform cubes, roughly one metre across, one thing and one thing only is allowed to exist within each space. attempting to place something else within that space simply causes it to move to an adjacent one, or doesn't allow it to exist at all. For the sake of continuity, I'll refer to each of these areas as 'co-ordinates', due to the way they seem to be layered.
Secondly, all things in this world seem to be made up of 3 'kinds' of matter. The most basic would be the 'Building blocks'. These blocks are more or less the content of the world, each one taking up one co-ordinate. So far, the bulk of them that I've observed are completely static, unaffected by gravity and immovable by any force I can muster. The blocks can be altered, for example I can carve into them, or apply dye to them, but in order for anything more they have to be 'broken' first.
The second form of matter I call 'Items'. These are feather-light replicas of what I expect to see in a normal world. I can interact with them, change them, and even eat them - since my food is part of this group I'm somewhat glad of that - but they don't behave..normally. Similar items seem to be able to merge together, to allow multiple versions to exist in the same space. This tends to max out at around 60 items, by which point a resistance to more items, similar to trying to move two different ones together forms, and they will no longer stack up. Some items, when applied to the edge of a block (the first kind of matter) with a small amount of force, will materialise fully, gaining mass and size to fit the area, while others either appear temporarily - a state I've forced a lot of things into in order to combine or modify them -or fail to materialise at all. I believe this shows that some things in this world are more stable than others, and as such need to be moved to a more 'stable' state to exist. A prime example of this is water - I can dip my hand into a stream to drink, but if I do not take water from where it originates, I cannot put it back, and it quickly disintegrates. I can only assume that me ingesting it allows it to continue to exist. The 'blocks' can be turned back into items, by breaking them simply using force, though the manner in which they break alters the item they transform into; it seems the more precise the tool, the more accurate the replica is, and the more likely it is to stabilise. Most of everything in this world can exist in this form to one degree or another.
The final group is somewhat strange, although I have to say that I am part of this group. Entities, such as myself and the chickens, are solid and cannot pass through each other, and are not bound to a given co-ordinate. I believe that the windmill I constructed falls under this classification as well, though until I get more of a chance to study there isn't a whole lot more I can say on the matter. At the very least, I believe that entities can be broken down into item form as well, although the only tests done in that regard - the chickens, and the monsters I studied in the beginning - seem to break apart too roughly, for the most part disintegrating while some of the more stable components coalesce into item form.

I wonder if there would be a more efficient method of breaking blocks down into items?

I finally managed to finish planting the wheat farm today. I admit I never got around to transmuting any more seeds, the seeds collected when harvesting the crop were more than enough to fill in the gaps. I'm thinking of maybe farming the other side too, moving the hemp, pumpkins and melons there. I'm not really sure why I'm still harvesting pumpkins though.

Spoiler
Show

I've given some more thought to the concept of breaking blocks, and to that end, I've come up with an idea. The main resource I seem to have trouble getting is wood; I can instantly grow a tree using bonemeal, but when it comes down to it a single tree doesn't hold much wood, and the cubic slabs of planks I can create from the logs are just too large to really make anything of. To that end I've decided to make a crude saw, a mechanical contraption similar to the millstone. As of now, all I've managed to do is transmute some leather - it took a while to figure out how, but the best results ironically came from the rotten flesh of slain zombies - and scour it so only the hide remains. It will need tanning; I'm not sure if there is a way of doing that with alchemy, but I know of a way of doing with without.

I built a large cauldron for the tanning process. I tried to make it round, but that didn't work...cleaning into the corners is going to be a nightmare in of itself. I also transmuted some flint; there are easier ways of lighting fires, but sadly none that'll be able to create open flames hot enough for heating up such a huge iron construct. Now I just need something to burn. Wood would be the choice normally, but my first attempt with that destroyed the log in around a minute of lighting it, and the flame didn't get hot enough to even warm the water. I know that stone, impregnated with redstone dust can be used as a long-lasting fuel, but I've never made any before, so I'll give that a go tomorrow. For now, I've transmuted some of my wood from birch to pine; I need something to tan the leather with, but I may as well make it as efficient as possible. Saying that, this wood used to be cactus...I'm just going to confuse myself at this rate.

Spoiler
Show

It's a slow process, but it's working. The leather should be cured by evening by the looks of things, so I'll spend today figuring out the method of building the rest of the saw; I should be able to put the belt in last anyway.

I forgot to disengage the gears in the windmill. It started to rain when I went back outside to collect the leather - oddly enough, the flames don't seem to mind it - and the wind picked up. A lot. By the time I managed to reach the top of the windmill, the gearbox had already shattered...thankfully most of it's components are still there, so I can rebuild that tomorrow. Hopefully this rain dies down soon.

Spoiler
Show

The rain's cleared up now. I still need to replace the gearbox, but for now I figure I'll test out my saw.

Bah, the saw won't work how I planned. Originally I hoped I could use the power from a crank to saw things, but it just isn't enough to keep the blade moving. I'll have to set it up in place of the millstone for a while; I have plenty of flour stockpiled at any rate. Tomorrow though...I think I deserve a break for now.

Spoiler
Show
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I've been pretty quiet so far, but I've gotta say, I'm enjoying this journal :) It's actually what convinced me to give EE a shot, and I still have it installed :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:I've been pretty quiet so far, but I've gotta say, I'm enjoying this journal :) It's actually what convinced me to give EE a shot, and I still have it installed :)
hehe :p this was my first time using it too, am I have to admit I'm enjoying it.

Though I don't think I would on a normal MC world. Having it as a tool of necessity really gives it some meaning, and makes the *really* early parts of the mod worthwhile. It can just be a little too easy to want to tech up to having massive factories pumping out dark matter for no real reason otherwise :/
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

So, yeah. This is kinda like a bonus chapter, where I show you that almost nothing has actually changed, but it all looks kinda different anyways. If I get to 20, I may do another one then. Because...well, because I can. Actual content coming next chapter >.<

Chapter 10: Making things shiny

It must have been...about a week since I split slime on this journal and managed to erase the last few entries. Now that it's finally dry, or at least less sticky, I guess I should catch up with what I've done.

The saw worked perfectly. I admit, I half expected it to just break the wood back into it's item form, but it managed to do something that I know I couldn't do with just my axe, and split the wood into 2 panels, each half the size of the original stack of planks. Taking it further, I was able to cut the wood down into 8 pieces, each exactly 1/8th that of the original plank. After that, even this saw isn't accurate enough and the wood disintegrates, But iI think I could probably use it for detail work if need-be.

These individual pieces of wood, the sidings, mouldings and corners, are a lot easier to work with. With this in mind, I decided to fix up my...home. I guess it really is my home now. At any rate, I added wooden flooring in most places, and stuck fences on the edges; with the wind getting up like it has been, I feel safer with the rails there. It also looked nice, which I wasn't really expecting in this world of cubes. To aid that, I decided to make some extra lighting, but what I had hoped would become glowstone crystals turned, unsurprisingly, into huge blocks. I didn't really like it first, but I suppose it's grown on me. I also ended up moving most of my crops up onto the other platform near the windmill, to stop errant chickens from destroying them.

Spoiler
Show

My house...if you could really call it a house, was starting to feel cramped. With the farms moved, I realised I had a lot of extra space, so I decided to expand it a little. What started out as a 'little' ended up with me tearing down the whole thing - my bed and belongings temporarily moving to the windmill - after discovering that I had more spare bricks than I remembered. I suppose I can be glad how simple this world makes some things, I never would have tried making something like this back home.

In the end, I took advantage of my newly detailed woodcutting to try and create something resembling a sloped roof. It didn't go badly, and a short burst of rain soon after finishing it proved that it was waterproof. I split the upstairs into two rooms: one for my bedroom, where a wide window and balcony (above the kitchen) can let me watch the sunrise, and my alchemical workshop which looks out onto my windmill and farms. It's Worth mentioning here, every morning after waking I made of point of checking that dark platform where the monsters would come from. While this often resulted in me merely watching them fall through the holes into that black void, the morning sunlight was kind enough to let me collect a good handful of bones, ender pearls and arrows. I thought of making a bow, but I don't really see the need as of yet. At least the ender pearls might come in useful; I think I was too quick to dismiss being able to transmute them into diamonds. I have an idea of what I could use them for, sometime later.

Spoiler
Show

The downstairs of the house is a bit empty, but there is enough space for most of my belongings, and everything I gather from the farms and monster 'trap'. It has a small kitchen, which opens out into the expanded area for my chickens. I half wish I had some other form of meat, but right now the only option there is what drops from those zombies...and I think I'd have to be desperate to eat that.

Spoiler
Show

And that's about it, for the work I've done. I've been doing a lot of thinking though, and I have a few experiments I would like to run once I'm settled in properly. First and foremost is seeing how redstone works in this world on a larger scale. I don't think It'll be able to exist in the compact circuitry I remember, but if it works even slightly how I remember it, it could come in useful. The second thing will be figuring out a way of moving blocks, without breaking them. I'm pretty sure that can be done - sand 'blocks' are able to move if unsupported...so I just need to figure out why, and how I can mimic that with other materials. Finally...I want to give building an aggregator a go. However I look at it, I'm going to run out of resources soon, and I don't think I want to stand and gather stone for a few more days - but being able to gather a fairly high quality material without effort should be able to replace that - I'm pretty sure I can use the transmutation table to get glowstone back into stone, somehow. I just need to figure out how the diamonds are supposed to focus the light...Some parts of their construction were never explained to me.

I wonder how big this world of mine will be when I'm able to leave?

Spoiler
Show