Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
CrafterOfMines57

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

For those that don't know, Sethbling just posted a sort of spotlight of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE2iRkoLH7I

Personally, I think some of these additions do have value, I see a definite application for the Intsa-wire feature (assuming it isn't a glitch), and I like the simple idea of Redstone Blocks. Although, the hopper looks like it was definitely "inspired" from BTW with the small addition of allowing inventories on top to funnel into it.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

My rating on all the features (1-10):
Stability changes to redstone- 8
--While good in essence, knowing Mojang, I don't necessarily trust this change

Comparator- 3
--Too specific to be of much use

Hopper- 4
--Looks like crap, implementation could've been a lot better (effectively allocator, since it automatically moves stuff out of the above inventory, and can go in sideways, which may be interesting, but I don't like how it can't be turned off

Weighted pp's- 5
--not sure why this would be used, as it is not exactly the best to have 600 (the minimum full tripping value for iron) items in the world, when they could be collected by the hopper (either one)

Block of redstone- 7
--meh, not needed, but may prove pretty interesting

Nether quartz- 1
--One question: WHY???? It's too common, not needed, (other ores could've been used) and just a half-assed way to get people to explore the nether more

Netherbrick crafting- 8
--While strongly needed, the way to get the bricks could've been done better (similar to BTW's way)

Inventory stuff- 7
--Complicates stuff a bit, but may end up being useful
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

dawnraider wrote:My rating on all the features (1-10):
Stability changes to redstone- 8
--While good in essence, knowing Mojang, I don't necessarily trust this change

Same

Comparator- 3
--Too specific to be of much use

Really? You will probably never need a comparator, thats true, but the insta-wire funtionality of it would be very useful in restone-computer-science. I give it a 8, as it's true you wont use it too much in a real world. But there are some good uses i can come with. For example, turntable clock goes to a comparatos main input. A lever in the side will turn the clock off (belows set up).

Hopper- 4
--Looks like crap, implementation could've been a lot better (effectively allocator, since it automatically moves stuff out of the above inventory, and can go in sideways, which may be interesting, but I don't like how it can't be turned off)

Great for vMC, but I think it will have to get nerfed to have a place in BTW, or BTW hoppers would have less use. Same score.

Weighted pp's- 5
--not sure why this would be used, as it is not exactly the best to have 600 (the minimum full tripping value for iron) items in the world, when they could be collected by the hopper (either one)
Take a redstone pulser into 4 different vDispensers, make the items fall into a golden presure plate. You know have a pulse counter. Valid also for huge farms when you want 5 wheat/seeds to be always in a "breeding" place. I'll give it a 6

Block of redstone- 7
--meh, not needed, but may prove pretty interesting
Probably usefull in compacting piston circuits. Also a quite good way of making a insta-redstone-strength-increaser by conecting a low stregth level redstone wire to a piston attached to a redstone block. I give it an 8

Nether quartz- 1
--One question: WHY???? It's too common, not needed, (other ores could've been used) and just a half-assed way to get people to explore the nether more
I'm with you, just a way to increase people nether stances, but that can be good. Actually I dont think you will need big amounts of comparators (crafted from quartz) so that you need to go mine quartz but for computers, that are built in creative so... I don't think they'll make people stay in the neather that much longer. Same score

Netherbrick crafting- 8
--While strongly needed, the way to get the bricks could've been done better (similar to BTW's way)
8 to the brick block recipe, 3 to the brick recipe

Inventory stuff- 7
--Complicates stuff a bit, but may end up being useful
I think it'll be very handy when we get used to it.
devak

Post by devak »

Comparator:

It sounds like a way to compact redstone circuitry.
I like what they did with the lightsensor in terms of redstone strength. however, the variable redstone powering is a way too limited feature right now and makes the comparator quite useless. I don't understand what the other features of it are supposed to do. I always learned a Comparator only gives power when the comparing power is met.

Also, a comparator has little use cause there's no way to compactly set redstone strength (As a torch = full power).

Lightsensor:

I quite like it, but it still feels rather cheap and easy compared to the power you get.

Hopper:
I quite like the idea, but the ability to connect to chests etc next to it (and most importantly: itself) combined with it's dirt-cheap recipe makes it a slightly expensive tube system. I already saw tube designs, and with BTW's cheaper chests and smoothstone generators, it means end-tier designs could very well switch water with hopper transport (at the cost of game performance of course).

Pressure plates:
nice idea, no clue what the practical application could POSSIBLY do. 600 items for full power? WTF? I understand some similar system for pressure plate rails, but this?

Redstone block:
meh.

Quartz:
Why the "nether" prefix? It's fine, the Nether desperately needed SOME content for the other, non-fortress 99%. It just feels useless tho.

Netherbrick:
Unimaginative production method. More of a "for completion's sake" than "let's add something interesting".

Inventory stuff:
we'll see. I do like the chest-to-inventory changes, desperately needed something like that.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Sounds like this stuff will be fun to play around with, new redstone toys are always nice, but from a balance perspective this might just be really shitty.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Gears

Post by Gears »

My main issue with the quartz ore in the nether is that it just looks ugly. You're stepping through a portal, and you look over and see a bunch of fair sized veins of ore on the ground, walls and ceiling. Now, the rate it spawns and the number of quartz ores in a vein of course need to be lowered, but they also need a better way of generating ore in the nether so that it doesn't deface the hellish look of the caverns with spots of fucking white stripes.

Now, a better looking way of doing this would be to have the code check if the block picked for the vein is X blocks away from the nearest air block. Let's say 1-2, since we don't want the stuff to be everywhere, but an occasional seam wouldn't be that ugly looking. Let's have the code pick a few blocks in the chunk, and use a couple for loops to preform a check of a 3x3x3 or 5x5x5 space to count the netherrack in the area. Next, if the space has X amount of netherrack(Let's say 3/4 netherrack) then it will generate the nether quartz in a vein the size of an average redstone ore vein. This would bring down the generation of quartz a fair amount, retain the look of the nether for the most part, but still have the occasional nether quartz seam peeking out of a wall of the caverns.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, all design has gone complete out the window.

From Dinnerbone's Twitter:
I sneakily introduced a new redstone concept in 01b; Output specific signals. This is a thing now. http://dinnerbone.com/media/uploads/201 ... -51-05.png
They're just tripping balls on adding more and more power to redstone devices with zero regard for any kind of underlying design, internal consistency, or anything at all really. Players will of course love it.

Seems every new bit I see coming out of Mojang these days is pushing me away from MC.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

For the full changelog of 'b': http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_715
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:For the full changelog of 'b': http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_715
Mojang's change logs are always lacking crucial details, and are ambiguous about whether something is a bug fix or some kind of new feature (e.g. "hopper does not pick up all items dropped into it"). I generally just skip them now and go straight to the wiki:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... t_versions
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, I love the new ui additions and short-cuts, mc can get very tedious click-wise, and anything they can do to help with that is welcome.
Just a note on this: I wasn't objecting to the functionality BTW. What I was objecting to was the totally whack multi-key/button combination interface conventions (or lack thereof).

You know how cautious I am about such things, like how long I sweated over even putting in shift-click functionality. Obviously, this is something that Mojang just doesn't "get" right now (Notch did though) because...they aren't designers.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:For the full changelog of 'b': http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_715
Mojang's change logs are always lacking crucial details, and are ambiguous about whether something is a bug fix or some kind of new feature (e.g. "hopper does not pick up all items dropped into it"). I generally just skip them now and go straight to the wiki:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... t_versions
True, I tend to wait a few days before taking the wiki at value though.

On another note: Hoppers. I just realised you can chain them. Horizontally. And they're cheap.

It's a good thing they don't absorb items that land around the edges on the top, or else water would become practically useless in most vanilla mob systems.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:On another note: Hoppers. I just realised you can chain them. Horizontally. And they're cheap.
The more I see of them, the more likely it is I'll just be axing them from BTW entirely.
Stormweaver wrote: True, I tend to wait a few days before taking the wiki at value though.
Honestly, I've yet to see an inaccuracy in the wiki's version histories, and I've been using them for months.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I sneakily introduced a new redstone concept in 01b; Output specific signals. This is a thing now. http://dinnerbone.com/media/uploads/201 ... -51-05.png
Actually, what I just realized is funny about the above, is that this feature makes trapped chests pretty much obsolete in the same release they're adding them.

Instead of using a trapped chest, just slap a comparator on a regular chest, and detect the drop in signal when someone removes something from the chest.

Far sneakier, with no visual indication that the chest is trapped.

Yeah...they're obviously thinking all this through before implementing it...
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

How does a redstone powered devise like a dispenser, power redstone hooked up to it? That alone will break builds that utilize dispensers. I think Mojang should take a step back and actually think about what they're putting in.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

ReaperT wrote:How does a redstone powered devise like a dispenser, power redstone hooked up to it? That alone will break builds that utilize dispensers. I think Mojang should take a step back and actually think about what they're putting in.
I think (hope) it just works with comparators.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

Elevatator wrote: I think (hope) it just works with comparators.
I think it's more likely they just put them there to either show them off some more or to make the signal more visible.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

On a positive note, 9x less space required for redstone dust and not having to use detector blocks as a movable redstone output is super exciting, and the daylight sensor seems like it might be cool for certain clocks and whatnot.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:On a positive note, 9x less space required for redstone dust and not having to use detector blocks as a movable redstone output is super exciting, and the daylight sensor seems like it might be cool for certain clocks and whatnot.
Yes...players tend to like more power.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

So what purpose does the lightsensor and this new redstone stuff actually serve? I don't see anything in the redstone update that adds a purpose to redstone... Certainly nothing on the level that BTW does. Hell, other then a simple circuit I memorized for double doors opened via pressure plate or button, before BTW I barely used redstone. It just didn't have much ingame purpose.
ThePuzzleMasher

Post by ThePuzzleMasher »

I just looked at the wiki and saw the recipe used stone and not iron for the hopper...
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.
Gunnerman21 wrote:This will also make Link from the Zelda series cower in fear
Which I bet all those pottery making families will love
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

The hoppers can also be strung together to makes pipes.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hm, I think you are all being a little bit negative about all this. Sure the additions are not upto BtW standards, but when have they ever been? Mc updates have always been whimsical in nature..

I absolutely love the hopper. It pales in comparison to btw hoppers, but it is something vMC REALLY needed. I'm ok with a less than excellent implementation, as long as they actually enable automation, as opposed to discouraging it. For me this is a huge step in the right direction. We might not need vmc hoppers in btw, but vmc is not btw.
FlowerChild wrote: Just a note on this: I wasn't objecting to the functionality BTW. What I was objecting to was the totally whack multi-key/button combination interface conventions (or lack thereof).

You know how cautious I am about such things, like how long I sweated over even putting in shift-click functionality. Obviously, this is something that Mojang just doesn't "get" right now (Notch did though) because...they aren't designers.
Eh, I agree man, but when I almost loose my sanity by the clickfest that is crafting a simple set of ladders, I'm willing to compromise..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Eh, I agree man, but when I almost loose my sanity by the clickfest that is crafting a simple set of ladders, I'm willing to compromise..
Hehe...then we hear each other.

I can't turn off my designer side man, nor would I want to. Even if a shit design results in positive functionality, it's still a shit design to me :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...then we hear each other.

I can't turn off my designer side man, nor would I want to. Even if a shit design results in positive functionality, it's still a shit design to me :)
Good, because none of us would want you to turn off your designer side ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
abominare

Post by abominare »

Am I the only one excited about the new hoppers actually making rail systems not a complete waste of time? I can appreciate the difficulty in using water as a transport system but axing vmc hoppers and refusing to allow rails to be anything other than a glorified waste of iron is the actual breaking point for me.

In terms of item cost its a wash. water systems at worse cost iron for pumps and a laughable amount of wood and a couple dust to implement. Rails systems cost iron, redstone and gold, as well as the difficulty in implementing usable timings systems.

If you want to ax that ability you might as well cannibalize the item ids for all of rails, they are completely pointless. The only serviceable use for rails is moving from one base to another and because of the nether to world ratio its much quicker to just to use that as your inter base transport.