Ivalice (Original Server) Better Than Solo [BTW 4.8912]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
boomerdude

Re: Better Than Solo - Friendly - Whitelist Reopened! [BTW 4

Post by boomerdude »

Hello, my in game name is "boomerdude" and i'd prefer to be called that. I'm a college freshmen for USC (South Carolina). I like to focus on aesthetics which is why I turned to better than wolves instead of other mods/mod packs like tekkit because they don't look and feel natural. I also would prefer a friendly server compared to a pvp one because I want to focus on building and not having to worry about people trying to kill me or take my stuff. I hope you would consider me and that I will be able to join soon. Thanks!

I have read the rules of the forum and server and agree to follow them.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Added the following rule:
Keep your animals under control! Living entities (animals and monsters) are the biggest use of CPU time. Unfortunately there isn't a number that I can say is too much, so this rule will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

boomerdude wrote:Hello, my in game name is "boomerdude" and i'd prefer to be called that. I'm a college freshmen for USC (South Carolina). I like to focus on aesthetics which is why I turned to better than wolves instead of other mods/mod packs like tekkit because they don't look and feel natural. I also would prefer a friendly server compared to a pvp one because I want to focus on building and not having to worry about people trying to kill me or take my stuff. I hope you would consider me and that I will be able to join soon. Thanks!

I have read the rules of the forum and server and agree to follow them.
I'm big on aesthetics so I'm sure we'll get along very well :) Added to the whitelist. See you soon!

Edit: haha he logged in just before I hit "Submit".
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Added a /marker command that allows players to add points of interest to the overviewer at server.betterthansolo.com/overview.

You can set up to 3 markers per dimension, and you must wait 30 minutes after setting a marker before you can set one again.

Examples of usage:

Set marker #1 to your current location:

Code: Select all

/marker set 1
Set marker #2 to your current location as a "home":

/marker set 2 home
Set a description for Overworld marker #1:

/marker description Overworld 1 This is my base!
Remove the description from Nether marker #1 (use a single hyphen for the description):

/marker description Nether 1 -
Remove Overworld marker #1:

/marker remove Overworld 1
Remove The End marker #3:

/marker remove TheEnd 3
List all your markers:

/marker list
Show the usage for a subcommand:

/marker help set
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Oops! Forgot to update the forum thread.

We've been on 4.50 and we're now on 4.51 :)
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Andre, I'm getting all kinds of errors when on the server. less than zero string errors, bad packet 239's. All kinds of crap.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Wow, I lost the IP to the original Lifewater server a long time ago and never bothered to look for it. Looking over the map, I don't believe it is the same as it was when I joined, but I my major accomplishment was helping in the rebuilding of the spawn town after the initial wave of griefers destroyed it. I would love to be whitelisted to this server. My IGN is EpicAaron29 and I have read over the server rules!

EDIT: Upon further looking I have located my tower! The nostalgia is pumping already.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

EpicAaron wrote:My IGN is EpicAaron29 and I have read over the server rules!

EDIT: Upon further looking I have located my tower! The nostalgia is pumping already.
Haha that's cool you're tower is still there. The old whitelist still stands so log in any time using server.betterthansolo.com.

Also, it is the same map. The server just got renamed when I started a new thread :)
topguy

Post by topguy »

IGN: topguy
Info: I started playing Minecraft around early Beta. I'm a good redstoner, and fighter(Against monsters). My interests are building, and trying new things. That's just my basic Info(As you asked :)) I've played BTW for a while, and know the basic things about it. Definitely my favorite mod, as it adds things that make Minecraft a more challenging game, and more worthwhile.
I have read the rules over.
Thanks!
Last edited by topguy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackking11

Post by blackking11 »

I am a friend of aradanwen and kardoen. I am a experienced minecraft player but relatively new to better than wolves, although i know the basics and I am capable of learning fast using the wiki and friends. I am also a good community player and a redstone expert (example:I designed a very compact way to get two cauldron/crucibles together with ful on of and a air blow thingy). and i've read the rules. my IGN is of course blackking11
Last edited by blackking11 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Habsnorre

Post by Habsnorre »

Hello I'd like to join your server.

I have been playing minecraft for about a year now, mostly with forge mods. I had a great deal of fun with those, sadly I've recently discovered that most them are actually very bad designed from a gameplay perspective. I returned to vanilla to discover that minecraft was actually more fun without all the gamebreaking stuff from the forge mods. BTW is a great mod for me because it stays in touch with the vanilla feel and is very well balanced. However my friends are still playing the forge mods, so I'm looking for a fun group of people to play BTW with. I have some experience with the mod, but just not with the newest content. I have read the rules and I fully agree with them.

I'm 21 years old and live in the Netherlands. My IGN is Habsnorre
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Habsnorre wrote:Hello I'd like to join your server. My IGN is Habsnorre
Great post! You've been added to the whitelist. See you soon!
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

andreinawolf wrote:and leave the rest for players to come!
  • Being told that it's ugly, inefficient or could be made better by another person doesn't foster a friendly environment.
LOL
opus192

Post by opus192 »

Hello there,

I left a application on page 5. Your response was that my friend (aradanwen) should contact you.
I've been checking the thread every day, but never heard anything ever since.
Are there any decisions made? Also, I've been playing Better Than Wolves the last couple of weeks, so I'm learning more and more (IIRC that was the problem)

Sincerely,

opus192
sapphireglass

Post by sapphireglass »

Hello, my in game username is sapphireglass and I'm looking for a multiplayer server to play BTW with other people. I have a good amount of experience with single player BTW, but I haven't played extensively on a MP server before. I've read over the rules in the first post of this thread and will follow them if whitelisted.
MECHABEAR

Post by MECHABEAR »

Plz im a friend of ashton and i wanna try better than wolves mod with you guys :) gameid = MECHABEAR
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Changed the following in the OP:
  • Updated the the "Getting on the Whitelist" section. Most importantly added that the server is for players 13 and over.
  • Removed the mod changes that are not useful for players to know.
  • Removed the info about the /who command as it does not work properly right now.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

opus192 wrote:I left a application on page 5. Your response was that my friend (aradanwen) should contact you.
Hey opus. Talk to arad when you can. I asked him to let you know since I don't want to make it public here :)
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

blackking11 wrote:I am a friend of aradanwen and kardoen.
Hey blackking11. Just to follow up with my reply to opus, contact Arad when you can if he hasn't contacted you already.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

topguy wrote:IGN: topguy
[snip]
That's just my basic Info(As you asked :))
Hey. Sorry I kept hesitating on the whitelist because of the "As you asked" part. Just curious, is there a place where I only asked for basic info? If so, I need to update it :)

You've been whitelisted though. See you soon!
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

sapphireglass wrote:Hello, my in game username is sapphireglass and I'm looking for a multiplayer server to play BTW with other people.
Added to the whitelist. See you soon!
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

MECHABEAR wrote:Plz im a friend of ashton and i wanna try better than wolves mod with you guys :) gameid = MECHABEAR
What is ashton's IGN? Most people do not use their real names so I'm not sure who that is.

Please read the originally post fully. When you're completing the 4th step for whitelist requests please be very very exhaustive. It's your first post and you didn't read the OP before submitting a request so it does make me a bit hesitant =/
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Unfortunately the power was cut to the server around 1:55am EST.

After looking over the player .dat files and the region files, I came to the conclusion that there was too much corruption to fix the problem.

I had to restore the server from the last backup which was made just after midnight EST. This was about 2 hours of time that was lost.

Currently the server does backups every 4 hours. Even though we only lost two hours of time, I was well into building the south-bound rail station and lost most of my progress.

I'm going to figure out a way to make backups hopefully as often as every 30 minutes if I can.

I still have detailed logs of most player actions during the two hours. If you killed the Wither or enchanted some amazing item during those two hours, let me know and we can work something out.
blackking11

Post by blackking11 »

Deleted.
Last edited by blackking11 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Banned hoshi711 for bloodwood spam at nether spawn. While the auditing logs do not show any other actions around that time that would indicate obvious griefing attempts, bloodwood is very dangerous so I'm going to be precautious here. If you can explain your actions please post a reply here.

Edit: Revised after looking into other logged actions around that time.