Phase 5?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ExpHP

Re: Phase 5?

Post by ExpHP »

In an attempt to even add even further to our growing pool of false guesses, I'm gonna pull us a biiiit further back.

You know how distilling water creates salt and... steam?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

ExpHP wrote: You know how distilling water creates salt and... steam?
*slowly puts on tinfoil hat*
That's not a bad idea, and ties in with what was mentioned earlier about SFS armor's new properties in water a bit
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

*begins frantically pumping saltwater*
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

ExpHP wrote:You know how distilling water creates salt and... steam?
And we have now gone full circle, all the way back to "can you hear the whistle blowin'?"

*joins Bino in donning my tinfoil hat*
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

BinoAl wrote: ...
*slowly puts on tinfoil hat*
Lmao.

I think there could be a lot of possibilities with the simple introduction of salt, I'm excited to see what happens. I think I see a tinfoil hat party coming on soon though.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:Sweet, sounds good and like I perhaps should expand on my current mob trap a bit :p

Also, tease ;)
As for the mob-traps, I've basically been sitting on the same one for about a year now, expanding the processing capabilities of it, but never really doing anything new with it or building any others.

That's about to change. I've got several different mob-traps that I am now planning.

Oh, and if you want something to do in preparation: build an Enderman farm. It's something I've never felt personally motivated to do before, given I never really saw the need. However, that's now near the top of my list for projects I want to complete in my own world ;)
You know that big mob trap i made, that harvested exp? I'd just finished a big revision on that, refining and polishing it up to release it again.

And now? now i want to wait until whatever these things are so i can incorporate them into it! *shakes his fist*

Which is to say - Oh my, this sounds fun. I'm looking foward to seeing what happens!
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

FlowerChild wrote: Salt.
Oh god stop teasing... my poor F5 key can't take it anymore :(
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Concerning the OP, strongholds found! Ender dragon murdered! That XP got me a respirator enchant on my sfs helm as well which has proved amazingly useful! Now I need to stop being distracted and build nether portals to them and a minecart railway.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

SaltInstitute.org knows some facts about salt.

Dd you know that salt is used:
To Sepearate Chlorine from Caustic Soda in the Chlor-Alkali Industry
To cool nuclear reactors (liquid sodium)
To make brass and bronze (metallic sodium)
To make case-hardened steel, fumigating materials, and are used to make the dye, indigo (sodium cyanide)
To produce polymers used to make plastics, synthetic fibers, and synthetic rubber (chlorine)
In crude oil refining and for making pesticides (chlorine)
To make bleach and to disinfect public drinking water supplies and treat municipal sewage (chlorine)
To make glass, rayon, polyester and other synthetic fibers, plastics, soaps and detergents (caustic soda)
Extensively in the manufacture of pulp and paper, dyes and ceramic glazes (sodium sulfate)
In manufacturing glass, pulp and paper, and rayon (sodium carbonate)
In making synthetic rubber and in cleaning gas and oil wells (hydrochloric acid)
In textile manufacturing, processing leather, making glass and neutralizing acids (sodium bicarbonate)
As an ingredient in fertilizers and explosives (sodium nitrate)
Textile and dyeing. Salt is used to fix dyes and to standardize dye batches
Metal processing, such as aluminum refining. Salt is used to remove impurities
Rubber manufacturing. Salt separates the rubber from latex
Oil and gas drilling. Salt is used to produce a drilling mud that prevents widening of bore holes in rock salt strata, inhibits fermentation, and increases mud density
Pharmaceuticals. Salt is used for tablet and caplet polishing, the production of intraveneous saline solutions and for manufacturing hemodialysis solutions used for kidney machines
Animal hide processing and leather tanning. Salt is used to cure, preserve, and tan hides
Pigment manufacture. Salt is a grinding agent
Ceramics manufacture. Salt acts to vitrify heated clays
Soap making. Salt separates glycerol from water
Detergent production. Salt is used as a filler.
Windows, lenses and prisms and in high power laser systems (sodium chloride)
In molten salt reactors to produce and separate transuranic elements (sodium chloride)
In molten salt incineration of high explosives, propellants, and pyrotechnics (sodium chloride)
In salt bath furnaces for a number of heat treatment applications such as: austenitizing, martempering, neutral hardening, tempering nitriding, carburizing, and dip brazing (sodium chloride)
To generate electricity in salinity gradient solar ponds (sodium chloride)
As an antifreeze agent in geothermal heating and cooling (sodium chloride)
To combat greenhouse gases by sequestering industrial carbon/carbon dioxide underground (sodium chloride)
And salt mines host experiments in physics and astrophysics that require precise conditions for accurate measurement (sodium chloride)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Plus it makes omelettes tasty :)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Plus it tortures snails, which sorta fits with the BTW spirit.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Itamarcu wrote:Plus it tortures snails, which sorta fits with the BTW spirit.

YES! >:D
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Awfulcopter wrote: ...To produce polymers used to make plastics...
I got it! Soulmolded Plastic :)
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

I agree that the most FC sounding thing that salt is used to make are PVC and latex.

But adding a new material seems more like opening up a whole new can of worms. FC talked about this feature more like it tied a bunch of divergent bits back together. That and the clue that salt reacts with soul forged steel.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

Oh god... Latex.

Is the gimp suit getting a power up?
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

PureZaros wrote:Oh god... Latex.

Gimp suit, milk tossing, placenta, now latex.... Remind me again, why doesn't a breeding harness work on villagers?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

SterlingRed wrote:
PureZaros wrote:Oh god... Latex.

Gimp suit, milk tossing, placenta, now latex.... Remind me again, why doesn't a breeding harness work on villagers?
You have to ease villagers into the idea of hooks. Their breeding harness will be a ways up the tech tree after a reliable, water based lubricant is crafted.
Better is the enemy of Good
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

So a thought on Salt. Conspiracy theorist style.

"Salt" is technically the product of an acid/alkali reaction.
FC has shown chemistry playing a part in the mod before.
In fact, when he did so for the dynamite recipe, it was explicitly revealed that hellfire dust is a powerful acid.
We also know that ground netherrack is rather unreactive (Read: not useful in chemical recipes until it has been processed into hellfire dust).

I will thus posit that when ground netherrack is processed into hellfire dust it becomes acidic, and that the other byproduct of this reaction, souls[1], are in fact alkali.[2]

Following from that, soul dust from bloodwood trees is likely alkali as well. For Soulforged steel this may or may not be possible.

So from that we can posit that XP/Dragon orbs, SFS, soul urns, and soul dust may have industrial applications relating to salt creation.

XP storage as "Soul salts" anyone?

[1]Or at least nether souls.
[2]I am not a chemist!
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

I could see this coming to some use?

Ceramics manufacture. Salt acts to vitrify heated clays

Currently we have clay pottery, add salt to make ceramics, which are stronger for holding xp?

/tinfoilhat
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Soul salts? Will consuming these give Steve the urge to consume the faces of homeless testificates in Miami the closest village?

/tinfoilhat
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

morvelaira wrote:Soul salts? Will consuming these give Steve the urge to consume the faces of homeless testificates in Miami the closest village?

/tinfoilhat
Morv... come on now, Steve tested negative for soul salts after the last incident. :/
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

The Phoenixian wrote: [2]I am not a chemist!
For legal reasons I need to inform you that this does not protect Steve from liability in the case of acid-soul rain.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

morvelaira wrote:Soul salts? Will consuming these give Steve the urge to consume the faces of homeless testificates in Miami the closest village?

/tinfoilhat

Hahahaha, considering hemp isn't and will never be smokable, I'm sure if it's that kind of salts we're talking about it will have a totally different use :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm surprised no-one's made the connection between the salt and nether sludge. And that nether sludge is supposedly a clay-like substance. And that the sludge -> clay recipe was removed pending a more fitting method. And that BTW likes using filters for things.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Stormweaver wrote:I'm surprised no-one's made the connection between the salt and nether sludge. And that nether sludge is supposedly a clay-like substance. And that the sludge -> clay recipe was removed pending a more fitting method. And that BTW likes using filters for things.
You can't filter out salt from water though. You have to evaporate off the water.