Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Graphite

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Graphite »

Taleric wrote:I would love to see those skele and zombie horses implemented to fight :)
Totally picturing the undead cavalry running you down now... don't think I'd set foot outside my base anymore :P
devak

Post by devak »

Graphite wrote:
Taleric wrote:I would love to see those skele and zombie horses implemented to fight :)
Totally picturing the undead cavalry running you down now... don't think I'd set foot outside my base anymore :P
Skeletons on skeletal horseback and zombie on undead horseback?

HELL YEA.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

devak wrote:
Graphite wrote:
Skeletons on skeletal horseback and zombie on undead horseback?

HELL YEA.
What's next, Creepers on Spiderback?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Foxy Boxes wrote: What's next, Creepers on Spiderback?
That sounds like something Flowerchild would implement, not Mojang.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

Foxy Boxes wrote:What's next, Creepers on Spiderback?
No, I think the creepers would ride the horses so they could get up close and personal even faster.

Or maybe ride the donkeys with the chests, which they could fill with gunpowder for a more satisfying *BOOM* when they get near your best stuff!
Moocher

Post by Moocher »

Creepers would obviously ride the lightning.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Moocher wrote:Creepers would obviously ride the lightning.
I just thought of hearing a distant For Whom the Bell Tolls during a rain storm. It slowly grows louder/closer ushering in the creeper on lightning.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

There's a new snapshot out today! Woo-hoo! [/sarcasm]
Spoiler
Show
FEATURES:
  • Added new UI for horses, to control saddle/armour/inventory.
    Started to move over various things to a new Attribute system. You may see some new tooltips, don’t be scared!
    Lots of work towards a new Resource Pack system, but not finished yet. Currently still compatible with texture packs.
    New internal chat system; lots of messages should be translated now that weren’t previously.
BUGFIXES:
  • Damaged Anvils do not show damage in inventory or item frame
    XP Bar in creative
    Hay Bales do not burn when set on fire
    XP, Health and hungerbar are buggy with horses
    Using a horse spawn egg on a horse works only when riding the horse
    Can’t throw enderpearls while mounting a horse
    Player appearance not updating in multiplayer (armor, tools)
    No way to remove armor or saddles off a horse
    Horse name tag is shown while riding
    Sides of cauldron has compass texture after placing compass in Item Frame
    Bottom part of some types of horses-harness is misplaced
    Selected item disappears when armor breaks
My favorite part has to be the resource pack system, I'd love to replace my sounds with something like this. Other than that, it sounds like more of the usual.

Edit: This could of course already be done, which kinda begs the question as to why they're working on it at all. Oh well, less things for FC to fix/rip I suppose.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

DNoved1 wrote: My favorite part has to be the resource pack system, I'd love to replace my sounds with something like this.
I forgot how great the animals were in that video. The herd of cows is worth waiting for.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
johnt

Post by johnt »

DNoved1 wrote:There's a new snapshot out today! Woo-hoo! [/sarcasm]
Spoiler
Show
FEATURES:
  • Added new UI for horses, to control saddle/armour/inventory.
    Started to move over various things to a new Attribute system. You may see some new tooltips, don’t be scared!
    Lots of work towards a new Resource Pack system, but not finished yet. Currently still compatible with texture packs.
    New internal chat system; lots of messages should be translated now that weren’t previously.
BUGFIXES:
  • Damaged Anvils do not show damage in inventory or item frame
    XP Bar in creative
    Hay Bales do not burn when set on fire
    XP, Health and hungerbar are buggy with horses
    Using a horse spawn egg on a horse works only when riding the horse
    Can’t throw enderpearls while mounting a horse
    Player appearance not updating in multiplayer (armor, tools)
    No way to remove armor or saddles off a horse
    Horse name tag is shown while riding
    Sides of cauldron has compass texture after placing compass in Item Frame
    Bottom part of some types of horses-harness is misplaced
    Selected item disappears when armor breaks
My favorite part has to be the resource pack system, I'd love to replace my sounds with something like this. Other than that, it sounds like more of the usual.

Edit: This could of course already be done, which kinda begs the question as to why they're working on it at all. Oh well, less things for FC to fix/rip I suppose.
I preferred this one:

barcode

Post by barcode »

DNoved1 wrote:There's a new snapshot out today! Woo-hoo! [/sarcasm]
For me the sounds go out after 5 minutes. Completely. Switching one version back they work fine. Is it just me or have they yet again switched sounds around? There's a weird echo-like sound to many actions like mining, and swimming sounds terrible...
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

I'm scared by the attribute system they are mentioning. Are they still trying to turn vMC into an RPG?
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

Solymr wrote:I'm scared by the attribute system they are mentioning. Are they still trying to turn vMC into an RPG?
looks like they are tryng to make it look more like a RPG. before you know a shovel was a better weapon then your fists now you know how much better shovel is better then your fists
but yes it was not needed at all
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Looks like people have already gone to great lengths to document the new attribute system. The player and mobs can have various "attributes", and equipment/tools can modify them. It's essentially like extending the enchantment system to encompass potions and... well, everything.

One thing I noted is that they've extended the following range of Zombies to 40 meters versus the 16 meters of other mobs. But in the process, they made it an attribute that can be individually modified for every single entity in the game.

I believe the word is "architecture astronauts?"

Edit: An additional note: I don't see anything that indicates this would add RPG elements to the game. It really just seems to be a thing for mapmakers, mods, and servers.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Like I've said in the IRC: outside of custom maps, the only thing that the system adds for players is the ability to see the effects of items.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Why are you guys ragging on the attribute system? It seems modder-friendly and harmless to me. They could be doing other stuff like further screwing up game balance or adding more random world gen features to the nether.. Would you rather that?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Sarudak, I've only seen two people outright complaining about it. My comment was more to the fact that it's something that won't have a big effect on normal gameplay, while still giving more power to mappers and modders; it seems like the first sign of work towards the mod API.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Why are you guys ragging on the attribute system? It seems modder-friendly and harmless to me. They could be doing other stuff like further screwing up game balance or adding more random world gen features to the nether.. Would you rather that?
While I think there is definitely a "why?" aspect to the feature, yes, I agree with you here. I'm just happy to see that they're staying away from less critical portions of the game while they're working on this.

I doubt it will be modder friendly though. I suspect it'll be a pain in the ass to adapt to and is targeted more at map-makers. You can already adjust such things through code.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Unfortunately, though the attribute system itself looks pretty harmless and more just an annoyance, in the process of implementing it, it would seem that Mojang is indirectly and unintentionally affecting numerous values and constants across game. On such unintended consequence of the new system is that, in the current snapshot, speed potions are much less effective. This obviously does not affect BTW, and Mojang has promised to fix it in Vanilla, but the number of things they could potentially screw up with the new system is mind-boggling unless they alter their implementation to have less of an impact on existing game code.

This attribute system is also not just for mapmakers; it is the first step in Dinnerbone's regional difficulty plan. They want to use this system to slowly increase the strength, speed, difficulty, etc. of mob spawns as the player remains in the same area.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Sarudak wrote:Why are you guys ragging on the attribute system? It seems modder-friendly and harmless to me. They could be doing other stuff like further screwing up game balance or adding more random world gen features to the nether.. Would you rather that?

because there is a dusty api yet to be made out there
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote:This attribute system is also not just for mapmakers; it is the first step in Dinnerbone's regional difficulty plan. They want to use this system to slowly increase the strength, speed, difficulty, etc. of mob spawns as the player remains in the same area.
It's funny that BTW does effectively the same thing, but without touching mob stats. It's entirely behavioral in terms of the local food supply becoming exhausted as you spend more time in an area. The way they seem to be doing it, I suspect it will feel distinctly artificial, much like their other recent difficulty changes.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Mikko_blu wrote:because there is a dusty api yet to be made out there
Have you considered the fact that the attribute system is going to be a part of the API? Dinnerbone's also been working on a new launcher that supposedly will also tie into the API.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Katalliaan wrote:
Mikko_blu wrote:because there is a dusty api yet to be made out there
Have you considered the fact that the attribute system is going to be a part of the API? Dinnerbone's also been working on a new launcher that supposedly will also tie into the API.
Sacheverell told me about 2 months ago that the API is "coming soon"
I highly doubt that the API is on their priority list, since apparently ruining old worlds with red stone changes, Horses, and mobs than can ride mobs that can ride mobs are more important.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mikko_blu wrote: Sacheverell told me about 2 months ago that the API is "coming soon"
I highly doubt that the API is on their priority list, since apparently ruining old worlds with red stone changes, Horses, and mobs than can ride mobs that can ride mobs are more important.
I think that's a scoping problem more than anything man. What do humans naturally tend to do when our plans get out of control? We procrastinate like a mother fucker.

The design for the API was incredibly unrealistic to begin with, and it's only gotten worse with time. I'd make excuses not to work on it in their shoes too.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Don't know how much of this has already been mentioned, if any, but Mojang is promising to add "various new mobs" to the game in addition to horses, mules, and donkeys. Each of those--horses, donkeys, and mules--has received its own GUI for whatever reason, also.

Further, they are in the process of adding a health bar for mounts. Right now, in the new snapshot, if you mount, say, a pig, its health bar replaces your hunger bar until you dismount, which seems a bit annoying if you ask me, but oh well.