Off-Topic Hell (Was: An Important Announcement)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: An Important Announcement

Post by FlowerChild »

Next off-topic post locks the thread and earns a ban.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Everyone seems to have forgotten about the additional ways to get exp FC mentioned. Could that be the update?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Husbag3 wrote:Everyone seems to have forgotten about the additional ways to get exp FC mentioned. Could that be the update?
I'm not sure that would take 30 days though... (and with all of the hype this has got, would be a bit underwhelming, unless he adds a way of using XP other than enchanting)

knowing FC's style, he's either going to put in lots of small things unrelated to each other (like the first release of BTW), one absolutely massive thing, or a few very large things.

I doubt it will be lots of small things because there wouldn't be any reason to take an entire month to add them, he could do them weekly or every few days.
one absolutely massive thing, I couldn't imagine FC doing. it just doesn't seem like his style to jus go "here you go" and throw a massive single use feature on us. plus, I have no idea what would take him an entire month to do, take over mojang with a pirate ship on wheels and take command of MC himself?

the most likely thing is a set of largeish things and/or something to support them, much like the way mechanical power was introduced, but in a single patch instead of over a month.

I'm not sure how long API's take to make, but if it takes a long time to make one, it could be that I guess.
I'm still sticking by my hypothesis of it being steam and/or a way of moving things horizontally that doesn't involve pistons in the nether.
(or maybe a new dimension? that would allow him to add world gen things, without forcing people to start a new world)
steveman0

Post by steveman0 »

Husbag3 wrote:Everyone seems to have forgotten about the additional ways to get exp FC mentioned. Could that be the update?
For a month's worth of work that would be one large system, so I don't think so. I think the best guess is more along the lines of the steam/methane system. On it's own it is a big project and it would require a number of support systems for them to be meaningful when added (methane alone or steam alone doesn't add anything - only combined with the systems necessary to gather/produce/use them does it add anything to the game). This depth would require a fair amount of time. I have yet to see a better guess so far.
TSA

Post by TSA »

FC said that he took 3 days on the lens and another 3 days on pulleys and platforms.
And they a are a quite complex features if we think a little about it.

but 30 DAYS its a lot of time. Time enough for FC rewrite all the better tan wolves mod.
i strongly believe that its time enough to do a SMP version of BTW, but he was waiting for the mod API. Right?

so what have you in mind Flower?
LunaticToad
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I believe that is a secret :P

Hey guys, do you want to start a new thread for guessing what's the new feature?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Panda

Post by Panda »

sure im in, i think its gonna be an addon : )
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I really don't mind the guessing taking place here as I'm quite enjoying reading it :)

Just as long as it doesn't stray off-topic, feel free to continue the conversation.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:I really don't mind the guessing taking place here as I'm quite enjoying reading it :)

Just as long as it doesn't stray off-topic, feel free to continue the conversation.
Cool well what my speculation was is that itll be a whole new Optional age as an add on. i feel its an add on because it needs to be released all at one.
Or hell Maybe Better Than Wolves 2?
Never say no to Panda.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

TSA wrote:FC said that he took 3 days on the lens and another 3 days on pulleys and platforms.
And they a are a quite complex features if we think a little about it.

but 30 DAYS its a lot of time. Time enough for FC rewrite all the better tan wolves mod.
i strongly believe that its time enough to do a SMP version of BTW, but he was waiting for the mod API. Right?

so what have you in mind Flower?
that was his one other "hint" in MCF.
someone said that it could be SMP because of the multiple people in the fog and players being alive, FC said that is wasn't SMP and that he was telling us that because he didn't want to get our hopes up :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote: that was his one other "hint" in MCF.
someone said that it could be SMP because of the multiple people in the fog and players being alive, FC said that is wasn't SMP and that he was telling us that because he didn't want to get our hopes up :P
Yup, that's correct. I intended to mention that it isn't SMP support in my announcement, but it slipped my mind at the time.

As I said on MCF, hopefully that wouldn't take me a full month, and the Mojang code-changes I'm waiting on haven't taken place yet.
TSA

Post by TSA »

hum ok.
i was really hopping in that one.

so what the hell takes you 30 long days to do?

im already scared
LunaticToad
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

TSA wrote:hum ok.
i was really hopping in that one.

so what the hell takes you 30 long days to do?

im already scared
Probably not any one thing :P So a bunch of features is my guess. What they are I have no clue.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I honestly think it is the completion of the next age. I am not willing to take any guesses to what that could be, but it will probably increase the tech tree a whole ton (150% is my guess).

I am really hoping for that steam FC promised us from way back in July at the beginning of these forums., and I'm still waiting. :)
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

my guess is he will be altering a bunch of the old features and making the tech tree more difficult, as well as adding in a whole bunch of stuff for the new age. Also if he is going to add some sort of gas it would have to be something "craftable" since he makes a point of not fucking with world generation.
And HOW!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

My guess? We'll get somewhere in the region of 3-5 new BTW 'features' (like our current cauldron, saw, crucible, kiln, etc) and the system that ties them all together - that system being the reason FC's been dropping hints that we should be stockpiling the tanned leather and steel, and the reason that a lot of the new stuff we've gotten recently has involved having a load of leftover souls.

I also don't think it's steam, as that'd be too...normal, for the route FC's taking. And there's the whole thing with BTB currently implying that...
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I have no idea what the actual features will be but the logical thing would be a fleshed out system that will take us fully into the nether. That or a portal to Thunderdome.
Better is the enemy of Good
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:my guess is he will be altering a bunch of the old features and making the tech tree more difficult, as well as adding in a whole bunch of stuff for the new age. Also if he is going to add some sort of gas it would have to be something "craftable" since he makes a point of not fucking with world generation.
a possible way of making steam as a gas could be:
water surrounded on all sides except the top and one side (for input) with steel blocks makes a boiler, stoked fire underneath (like a kiln) evaporates the water into steam, steam travels into a steam pipe system :P (and if in the nether, any placed water instantly becomes steam)

there's also the potential for the next "new age" (logically, electricity) to be accessed by a steam turbine generator :P

I know I'm biased because I really want it to be steam power (steampunk FTW :P) but the more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense :P
Stormweaver wrote:My guess? We'll get somewhere in the region of 3-5 new BTW 'features' (like our current cauldron, saw, crucible, kiln, etc) and the system that ties them all together - that system being the reason FC's been dropping hints that we should be stockpiling the tanned leather and steel, and the reason that a lot of the new stuff we've gotten recently has involved having a load of leftover souls.

I also don't think it's steam, as that'd be too...normal, for the route FC's taking. And there's the whole thing with BTB currently implying that...
leather could be for making valves or air bladders, historically, pneumatics were kept airtight by greased leather, steel could be for the pipes (and maybe the souls are very neat and tidy and keep it rust free?)

I assumed the lefover souls were for assisting in the automation of steel manufacturing? (which, as you said, we'll need a lot of)

steam may seem a bit "normal" but it's the only real power method for the tech level steve's at, unless he just skips straight to the combustion engine and electricity (which is already covered by BC)

If it is steam, it's possible that it may need to be mixed with souls (so steve can relax in the infernal sauna after a hard day of BDSM XD)

remember that when FC first mentioned steam power, he had an elaborate system about keeping the pipes heated so it doesn't just condense, keeping the pressure high, but not too high, and balancing the pressure throught the whole system. I could easily imagine that taking a month to do :P
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

What I could actually see happening, with the whole focus on souls, is steam power, but instead of steam, it's... Spirits, I guess would be the best way to describe it. It would make sense given the stockpiling of leather and steel, and implementing the whole system at once so it's immediately useful to us rather than adding it one piece at a time could explain why it would take a month. Totally speculation, but hey. A man can dream ^.^
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Speculation ?
Either the white thing, or the yellow one.
Most likely the white, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need a month for the yellow.
:)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Battosay wrote:Speculation ?
Whaa--
I don't get it ;_;
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

BinoAl wrote:
Whaa--
I don't get it ;_;
He's just using FC's trolling techniques on you :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

BinoAl wrote:
Whaa--
I don't get it ;_;
the picture of oil and water that FC posted in his second eureka thread maybe?
got it! mayonnaise! /jk

I'm guessing that battosay thinks the oil (the yellow one) is the nether fluid?

the white one I guess refers to the water :P

FC did say battosay would enjoy this one, since he's a scientist
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

Part of me think that it will be the API that FlowerChild has talked about. That might be shoehorning a bit to get under FlowerChild's description of "a set of features that I've been planning for a long time now," but I think it works.

The rest of me figures it will simply be unguessable "holy shit." Not blessed dung or anything, but "Holy shit, that's so cool!" that a lot of his other feature additions have been.

Whatever it turns out to be, the announcement spurred me back into playing Minecraft again. I hadn't played in over a month, but now I've started a new world and am building up my resources and such.

I'm looking forward to whatever it is that FlowerChild pulls out of his imagination.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote: the picture of oil and water that FC posted in his second eureka thread maybe?
I wasn't the one that posted that.