Flower's Dev Diary (Week of October 23rd)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Six

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of October 23rd)

Post by Six »

Huh, didn't realize that with adding the new sounds they also took some old ones away. Seems and odd thing to do, as download size of the client really isn't an issue, and with the moddy nature of the game it makes sense to have a larger 'palette' of sounds. Ah well, there is some nice stuff in the new lot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

So far the only one I've discovered that is missing, and not just renamed, is that old explosion sound.

And yeah, it wasn't a very mod friendly move for them to do that.
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

FlowerChild wrote:So far the only one I've discovered that is missing, and not just renamed, is that old explosion sound.

And yeah, it wasn't a very mod friendly move for them to do that.
Wouldn't it be fairly simple to just add it back into the resources folder if worst came to worst?
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't think Flower would feel comfortable distributing someone else's copyrighted material...
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

Sarudak wrote:I don't think Flower would feel comfortable distributing someone else's copyrighted material...
Oh....forgot about that bit.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Arg...more annoying: the "fire ignite" sound has been replaced by a click for the flint & steel, instead of the old "woof".

Makes the Hibachi and Infernal Enchanter sound like total ass :\

Anyways, aside from that, I've been fixing things up one by one. Turns out there was a fair amount of change to the way custom blocks render, so I've been going through fixing them all up, but it's going smoothly overall.

EDIT: NM, the ghast fireball sound makes a nice substitute ;)
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

you know, to be honest, i dont know what your whole stance on the matter would be. (and sorry if off topic) but if copy right with sounds is an issue, im currently studying sound design, and i would have no problem trying to engineer some custom sounds for you. no copy right or any of that annoying stuff. just a mention in the change log or what ever :p

but again i dont know what your stance on this would be and given the mods popularity im sure someone has already offered something similar. i only post this in the off chance that no one has and you might like some custom sounds to play with.

either way i love following these dev journals as its very entertaining to see your thought processes in developing this mod :)

Edit response: ok no prob. just wanted to try and give something back, after all youv given us all so much already :p keep rockin man
Last edited by odranoel on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't currently have the ability to include custom sounds in the mod man, otherwise, I would have replaced some of them a long time ago.

Hence the need for mods like audiomod.

Let's not turn this into a discussion about this please. It's been covered more than amply in the past.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

All right. All the rendering glitches for blocks and items have been fixed. That took me several hours, but glad to have it out of the way :)

Going to call it quits for the night, but just have a couple of outstanding issues to fully restore mod functionality, namely moving platforms, moving anchors, and lit mining charges aren't displaying at the moment (each of those are entities).

I don't expect those to cause too much trouble, I'm just a little tired to keep going right now.

After that, vanilla tweaks/axing, port to the server, and we should be good to go! Hopefully Mojang doesn't release 1.4.3 tonight/tomorrow :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Hum, sorry to say it but it seems pre-release for 1.4.3 is tomorrow. (see morv's news thread for links)

Anyway, good luck for the remaining tasks you have to achieve for the update. It's a real pain to see you having to go through these every few months. And your hard work is much appreciated !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote:Hum, sorry to say it but it seems pre-release for 1.4.3 is tomorrow. (see morv's news thread for links)
Well, I said that yesterday, so it's cool :)
javierbs

Post by javierbs »

Gormador wrote:Hum, sorry to say it but it seems pre-release for 1.4.3 is tomorrow. (see morv's news thread for links)

Anyway, good luck for the remaining tasks you have to achieve for the update. It's a real pain to see you having to go through these every few months. And your hard work is much appreciated !
It a pre-release so I think we could guess they are not going to do the actual release until next week with some luck?

Also keep up the good work FC I know you have being working hours upon hours for the update and just wanted to thank you for such an awesome mod :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I just noticed it's a pre-release myself...so yeah, absolutely no worries on this. I may even have time to get a few new features in after doing the initial 1.4.2 release before they put out 1.4.3.
derekiv

Post by derekiv »

FlowerChild wrote:Yup, I just noticed it's a pre-release myself...so yeah, absolutely no worries on this. I may even have time to get a few new features in after doing the initial 1.4.2 release before they put out 1.4.3.
And there was much rejoicing.

Thanks for making such an awesome mod FC
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

On the topic of new features: I just changed things so that regular skeletons, creepers, and zombies can drop their corresponding head-types upon death.

Just a small addition there, but I suspect Mojang pussied out and removed the code for them doing so because it wasn't "family friendly" or other such nonsense.

Will leave player heads to a later date, since I suspect it would be more involved.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

and on that note...here's a screenshot of the latest decorative element in my underground lair, freshly harvested from my mob-trap (which is behind me in the pic):
Spoiler
Show
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

At first I was "Mob heads, meh" but seeing them just changed my mind. So many ideas of things i can do with them
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote:At first I was "Mob heads, meh" but seeing them just changed my mind. So many ideas of things i can do with them
Yeah, I don't personally consider them a big deal myself, but while going over the mob drops I realized I could enable the other types of heads with a line or two of code each, so I just plopped them in there for kicks.

More extensive work like villager and player heads can come later ;)

On a slightly more important note, I was just pleasantly surprised to discover that item frames seem to work fine with mod block and items with no work on my part. I was a little concerned about those messing up with the old Forge infinite textures code, kinda like what happened when people tried using the armor stand mod.

Anyways, they're working great, and I just threw up a second level of decoration on the interior of my little hut there :)
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

FlowerChild wrote:All right. All the rendering glitches for blocks and items have been fixed. That took me several hours, but glad to have it out of the way :)
Wait, does that mean what I think it does? *Crosses fingers* Might you elaborate on this statement some more? I would just ask, but I'm afraid of it sounding like a suggestion.
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

I like the Heads as decorative blocks or as a way to mark chests with the respective blocks/items associated with that type of creature.

In my creative world I have a wall with heads to 'Scare' of mobs... Not that it works, but it looks cool IMO.

Glad to added them in. Just for fun blocks are occasionally needed. :)
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
Ph1il93

Post by Ph1il93 »

none of the 1.4.. features realy impressed me, but player heads. You got me there
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

of everything that 1.4 adds all i really care for are the item frames. so its good to hear they wont be an issue :D keep kicking ass FC (or as they say here in argentina, keep closing asses :p )
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ph1il93 wrote:none of the 1.4.. features realy impressed me, but player heads. You got me there
Well, as far as I know, there's even code in the game so that player heads use the player's own skin. Again...it doesn't make any sense to me that any of this was disabled unless someone chickened out on it before release, because there was obviously a lot of work put into it.
Anbaric wrote: Wait, does that mean what I think it does? *Crosses fingers* Might you elaborate on this statement some more? I would just ask, but I'm afraid of it sounding like a suggestion.
I have no idea what you mean. Dicking me around with ambiguous posts is sure to piss me off quicker than asking a direct question though.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

FlowerChild wrote: I suspect Mojang pussied out and removed the code for them doing so because it wasn't "family friendly" or other such nonsense.
That makes a surprising amount of sense...
Goddamit Mojang.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Ohh player heads!!
That sounds amazing!
I had some ideas (for a personal project) and that fulfills a nice hole.
Question is, how big is the trophy room going to have to be ;)