Windows 8

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Windows 8

Post by BinoAl »

So, I've heard nothing but negativity toward Windows 8. I agree with the people that don't like the "metro" UI, but what about how closed it's supposedly going to be? I haven't read into it too much, but supposedly you can't run unauthorized apps on Win8. Is there any truth to this, or is it just "End of the World" style exaggeration?
TheYaMeZ

Re: Windows 8

Post by TheYaMeZ »

From what i've heard, you will still be able to install any program just like you always could, but you have to jump through some hoops to be able to be listed in something like the "official" games section. I think that allows certain features of windows 8. Maybe it's similar to the games list of windows 7 but with more features?
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

TheYaMeZ wrote:From what i've heard, you will still be able to install any program just like you always could, but you have to jump through some hoops to be able to be listed in something like the "official" games section. I think that allows certain features of windows 8. Maybe it's similar to the games list of windows 7 but with more features?
Ah yeah, that wouldn't be TOO bad. That's almost comparable to Android phones: Comes with the Google Play store, but it's optional, and you can still manually install .apk files.
My biggest hope is that Windows 8 actually pushes a large number of windows users to Linux, and as a result, have more developers consider Linux as a release platform. Ahhh... A boy can dream :)

EDIT: Also, Yay!!!
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I guess I can give you some info, since I've been using Win8 at work for the last two months or so.

You can install any desktop apps you want, no hoops to jump through. I have MC up and running smoothly, so it's still as open as it always has been. The new style of app, the UI paradigm formerly known as Metro, is something else. This has a Store, similar to Google Play or Apple's AppStore, where you can get apps. This is the only way to install metro apps, and will be the way to install apps on RT. (Metro only version running on ARM processors).

Also, the new start screen thing grows on you when you use it. It has a lot of features that are extremely useful - the live tiles, especially. And it works just like the startmenu when you're in desktop-mode. Windows-button + start typing still searches through your apps, and you can still start desktop apps from it.

My personal favourite thing about Win8, though, is how streamlined they've managed to get it. It boots about 10 times faster than Win7 did on the same hardware.
Lots of planets have a north...!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I think a lot of the negativity is speculative and based on the alternating Windows theory where every other version of Windows released is crap.

Windows 98 was excellent, Windows 2000 was terrible
Windows XP was a great OS, Vista was vile in comparison
Windows 7 is a decent OS so Windows 8 is going to be shite
Better is the enemy of Good
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

What I *do* though is that everyone at my uni has been encouraged to stay away from it until further notice, as the (whatever early version it is at the minute) is known to have compatibility issues with the uni's wireless network. That is one level of "accepted" negativity as far as I am concerned :P.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I think a lot of the negativity towards Windows 8 is that people are morons and don't realize you can disable the Metro UI--leaving a much smoother, well toned version of Windows 7. The only reason it's there is because they are, for some reason, trying to make the same OS usable on Tablets and PC's. I'll be interested to see how it works out for them.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

tom_savage wrote:I think a lot of the negativity towards Windows 8 is that people are morons and don't realize you can disable the Metro UI--leaving a much smoother, well toned version of Windows 7. The only reason it's there is because they are, for some reason, trying to make the same OS usable on Tablets and PC's. I'll be interested to see how it works out for them.
That's just plain wrong. There is no way to disable the new Start Screen. You can however get to a Win7 style desktop on the x86 version of the OS. Which is where old-style Windows apps run. In that scenario, like on my work laptop, the Start Screen basically replaces the old Start menu, with the same functionality plus a lot more.

Oh, and by old-style I don't mean old. The new Visual Studio and Office both run in the desktop.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Elensaar wrote:That's just plain wrong. There is no way to disable the new Start Screen. You can however get to a Win7 style desktop on the x86 version of the OS. Which is where old-style Windows apps run. In that scenario, like on my work laptop, the Start Screen basically replaces the old Start menu, with the same functionality plus a lot more.

Oh, and by old-style I don't mean old. The new Visual Studio and Office both run in the desktop.
Sorry to say you speak out of turn. You're the wrong one here. I've done it several times. Go look up "disable Metro UI" on google. Anyone who can follow instructions can get rid of it.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

tom_savage wrote: Sorry to say you speak out of turn. You're the wrong one here. I've done it several times. Go look up "disable Metro UI" on google. Anyone who can follow instructions can get rid of it.
Hmm... Sorry about that. All info I've seen so far has been to the contrary, but it appears you are right. I wouldn't trust these methods to work indefinitely though, Microsoft is definitely intending to replace the old Start menu with Metro.

And I still don't get why anyone would want to do this, it's a huge improvement the way I see it. Even if you never use any Metro apps, it's basically a roomier Start menu that gives you more info at your fingertips. :)
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Elensaar wrote:Hmm... Sorry about that. All info I've seen so far has been to the contrary, but it appears you are right. I wouldn't trust these methods to work indefinitely though, Microsoft is definitely intending to replace the old Start menu with Metro.

And I still don't get why anyone would want to do this, it's a huge improvement the way I see it. Even if you never use any Metro apps, it's basically a roomier Start menu that gives you more info at your fingertips. :)
Most definitely. It was much easier to change back in the Development release. And like you stated before, once you get used to it, it provides a lot better functionality. People are just scared of drastic change. And the metro ui is usually what people dislike when you ask them about Windows 8.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

tom_savage wrote:Most definitely. It was much easier to change back in the Development release. And like you stated before, once you get used to it, it provides a lot better functionality. People are just scared of drastic change. And the metro ui is usually what people dislike when you ask them about Windows 8.
Oh, definitely. There are two things that seem to freak people out about Windows 8. That's the new Start screen with Metro and the fact that Microsoft now has an appstore. :) Never mind that the store is just for apps specifically for Metro, and that you can install anything you want like before. Microsoft is now trying to destroy the world. Again... :P
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

Some time ago, I interviewed for a position as a "Microsoft Brand Advocate". Even though I don't fully agree with Microsoft's business strategy, the discussion I had with the person interviewing me was rather enlightening.

Microsoft, for years, has always had to contend with Apple (and, more recently, Google, in terms of web, mobile, and search services). One thing that Apple has to it's advantage, despite what you might think of them, is a unified set of design standards across all platforms. It's OS X platform, and iOS are similar enough that being familiar with one will, by extension, make it trivial to jump into the other and just know how everything works. Microsoft has been trying to duplicate this idea in their own products. The "Metro UI", which is no longer the official name, due to unnecessary trademark disputes, was originally introduced with Windows Phone 7, to great acclaim. Hence, Microsoft is trying to push the same set of design ideals into other platforms. PCs (and tablets, with Windows 8 ARM) will be next, followed soon by an update to the Xbox 360 Dashboard. Thereby, Microsoft will, by their hopes, unify consumer experience across all products.

Another thing to consider is Ballmer's recent statement that Microsoft will be moving forward with more devices and services. This has the potential to become a double-edged sword, as alliances with third-party computer vendors will become strained, but consumer brand recognition may be favorable. Considering that Apple, which has designed their own hardware in-house (and outsourced manufacturing to various Asian countries) for years, has always been recognized as having very well-built products (though YMMV), this is something Microsoft would like to replicate. Those who have seen the new "Surface" tablet device can tell that this is the first of many hardware products Microsoft intends to roll out, apart from their Xbox and (lamented) Zune division.

All in all, I don't think Windows 8 will be "terrible", but merely a transitional phase, as Microsoft tries to re-evalute it's strategy, amid the ever-shifting market focus from desktop and laptop PCs, to smartphones, tablets and other "ultra-portable" devices.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Demonwolf002

Post by Demonwolf002 »

Sorry if I'm a little late for posting this, but this article helped me to understand why some people may have harsh feelings towards Microsoft for windows 8 in general.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/179420
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Windows 8? Hmm guess I have more reason now to keep dual booting Ubuntu...
And a big problem with Windows 8 is their bitch move with UEFI's Secure Boot.

Real bad move on their part, just a complete dick move.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

How is implementing a security feature suddenly a dick move on Microsoft's part? I thought they were dicks because of the lack of security? ;)

I think that whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, to be honest. You can either turn off secure boot (except on ARM devices certified for Windows, but that is completely in line with other comparable consumer hardware), or use a signed bootloader to run another OS. Ubuntu has one, for instance.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Well, about 6 months ago I changed from vista to win8 consumer preview. And tbh, it doesn't feel too much different. The only thing I really hate, is that ever since I 'upgraded' I haven't been able to play minecraft on my laptop. Something about a 'bad graphics driver' or something. Basically, my video card isn't fully compatible with win8 and after an exhaustive search of the web, there is no beta upgrade for it. :( so I'm stuck playing minecraft in my college's library. (I am running an intel express 4 series chipset if you were wondering)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

CycloneSP wrote:Well, about 6 months ago I changed from vista to win8 consumer preview. And tbh, it doesn't feel too much different. The only thing I really hate, is that ever since I 'upgraded' I haven't been able to play minecraft on my laptop. Something about a 'bad graphics driver' or something. Basically, my video card isn't fully compatible with win8 and after an exhaustive search of the web, there is no beta upgrade for it. :( so I'm stuck playing minecraft in my college's library. (I am running an intel express 4 series chipset if you were wondering)
Yeah, I had that problem with my work machine as well. It's not so much that the card itself isn't compatible, it's that the manufacturer has to release an updated driver for it. Lenovo has done some of theirs, so I lucked out. That should sort itself out soon though, there are more and more updates coming all the time.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

CycloneSP wrote:Well, about 6 months ago I changed from vista to win8 consumer preview. And tbh, it doesn't feel too much different. The only thing I really hate, is that ever since I 'upgraded' I haven't been able to play minecraft on my laptop. Something about a 'bad graphics driver' or something. Basically, my video card isn't fully compatible with win8 and after an exhaustive search of the web, there is no beta upgrade for it. :( so I'm stuck playing minecraft in my college's library. (I am running an intel express 4 series chipset if you were wondering)
It seems like with every update, old games don't get run.
A list of games that I can't play anmore :(
Starship Troopers Marauder
Final Fantasy 7 - 8
Diablo 2 (only with a workaround)
Worms Armageddon (only with workaround)
Homeworld 2
X3

:(

With Windows 8 I think I can forget a punch of games.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done