Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SgtChuckle

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by SgtChuckle »

devak wrote:Actually the Anvil has my hopes up for mojang, at least a little bit.

It costs a fair amount of resources, and repairing and such actually costs something!
And it's not a "make it and done" item! You have to keep making new ones and it ends up costing you 55 iron and ~115 levels to anvilize just a few items.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

SgtChuckle wrote:
devak wrote:Actually the Anvil has my hopes up for mojang, at least a little bit.

It costs a fair amount of resources, and repairing and such actually costs something!
And it's not a "make it and done" item! You have to keep making new ones and it ends up costing you 55 iron and ~115 levels to anvilize just a few items.
Which in turn forces players to do an iron golem farm if they really want to play a lot with this feature, something that by mojang is considered an exploit and something to be prevented... *sigh*
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Thalarctia wrote:Which in turn forces players to do an iron golem farm if they really want to play a lot with this feature, something that by mojang is considered an exploit and something to be prevented... *sigh*
From what I saw Mojang doesn't see mob farm as an exploit (not sure about golem farms) as long as their aren't the only viable option available/are not much better than alternative.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Thread needs more active.
Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone

Don't know when 1.4/"The Pretty Scary Update" is being released? October 24th! You should follow our blog more http://www.mojang.com :D
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

API 'information' - they're organising or something. http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_633

The dev blog itself is here: http://dev.minecraft.net/blog/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:API 'information' - they're organising or something. http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_633

The dev blog itself is here: http://dev.minecraft.net/blog/
Yeah, I looked at that this morning. So far, it's nothing but a verbose stub.

Looking at the "API Proposal System" linked on the blog was rather depressing for me. Once again, I think tying the API together with the "mod distribution system" is a big mistake, as most of the comments there seem related to the latter, when what I really think they need to be working on right now is the former.

Since the distribution system is probably the thing the players will understand the most, it's what gets all the attention, which I think distracts from what would actually be useful and could be worked on right now in an incremental fashion, instead of with this blasted "all or nothing" mentality where people expect the whole thing to magically materialize in a single release.

Anyways, I try not to think about the bloody thing and just keep on trucking with the mod. Frankly, everything I've seen so far indicates a total cluster-fuck.
devak

Post by devak »

I just don't understand.

Is it that hard for Mojang to check on some (big) mods, see what baseclasses get frequently edited and add in hooks? And shouldn't they start with the #1 mod, namely Modloader?

I mean, it would take a HUGE amount of pain away if Mojang made Modloader integrated in minecraft. It's been the ultimate mod for all other mods, it's used by everyone but forgepeople, is it that hard to see that the edits ML makes might be the kind of gold Mojang needs for their API?

Or am i oversimplifying things too much? I mean, i know it's gonna take more than just Modloader for a proper API, but they could at least add in a bunch of frequently needed hooks, and they don't need some community wiki thingey for that.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

The first issue right now isn't so much as what to add, its how to manage the API and the scope of the project and how it involves the mod devs.

This is very much mojang wanting an API, but having no clear structure or plan or design in mind for implementing and managing it. So they've opened it up to devs to voice what they want the API to do and this seems to also include the plugin distribution system. Which, should be separate. As for the scope of what the API will do, simply mod loader functionality, or extensively more, we don't know. I suspect Mojang doesn't either.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see thread in offtopic about this.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I think mojang's lack of experience in handling big projects is starting to become a problem..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I think mojang's lack of experience in handling big projects is starting to become a problem..
It does seem like they're lacking direction, judging from several of their changes in both upcoming updates and previous updates. I expect once they release their unified API, everyone except the modders and testers will be taking an extended break from Minecraft unless they like playing without mods :-/
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

New snapshot: http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_634

Of note, the anvil has been cheapened, but most importantly we get to mess around with the new repeater behaviour.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

And since only repeater pointing to the side can lock other repeater no builds should be broken.
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

It should be noted though that the repeater-locking-repeater is the 'safe' version. Jeb's stated that they will be changing it so that redstone-locking-repeater will also work in the full 1.4 release
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/258486859401932802
"What's the meaning of life?"
Though your life’s given meaning by you
I’ll say what I’ve found to be true -
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
(Or alternatively, “forty-two.”)
ElectronicRU

Post by ElectronicRU »

jonny_AB wrote:It should be noted though that the repeater-locking-repeater is the 'safe' version. Jeb's stated that they will be changing it so that redstone-locking-repeater will also work in the full 1.4 release
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/258486859401932802
It says "after 1.4", so no, it states that 1.4 will have safe version only (with corresponds with this tweet: https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/258484679127207936 )
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Snapshot is out, they made the anvil cheaper, my response to that; pussies....
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Snapshot is out, they made the anvil cheaper, my response to that; pussies....
The recipe still sucks and makes very little in-game sense. Not only is the excess iron problematic, but there's also nothing in the recipe to justify its magical properties.

The whole thing is just silly, and I think it takes the cake for the most poorly thought-out recipe in the game.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:The whole thing is just silly, and I think it takes the cake for the most poorly thought-out recipe in the game.
I still think Notch's original Golden Apple takes the cake. Nothing like infusing 154 metric tons of gold into a fruit with a crafting table. Though admittedly they were intended as a reward to use in custom maps and the recipe was added as an afterthought to make them sort-of-but-not-really obtainable in normal play.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: I still think Notch's original Golden Apple takes the cake. Nothing like infusing 154 metric tons of gold into a fruit with a crafting table. Though admittedly they were intended as a reward to use in custom maps and the recipe was added as an afterthought to make them sort-of-but-not-really obtainable in normal play.
Hehe...ok, fair point. I don't think I've ever crafted or used a golden apple, so I tend to forget they're even in the game :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

The 1.4 Pre-release is out, and no i dont mean the weekly snapshot. they added sounds to bats wither and endersragons... :D
Never say no to Panda.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Panda wrote:They added sounds to bats wither and enderdragons... :D
The new bats sounds are pretty good, they are pretty lifelike.

The new enderdragon sounds are pretty slick! He roars and his wings make whooshing sounds now. (Sounds are in sync with the actual movements too! watch for a double beat of his wings) But the one thing that throws me off about the enderdragon sounds are the fact that when he gets hit it sounds like a tin can is being hit with pebbles... not all so impressive for the final boss. And when you kill him? WOW thats something to be heard again. I Strongly suggest you guys goto a creative world and smack him around a bit!

The Wither... wow those sounds are awesome! TBH i spawned him in a bedrock cage and i heard his death sounds repeating over and over and i thought that it was actually some music playing for him, then i realized he was taking suffocation damage.

Overall report the new sounds are a must hear and the Enderdragon hit sounds could use a bit of work!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but they have (in the last two snapshots) added a 'version checker' between server and client, to tell the client if the server is running a different version of vMC to them.

Sound familiar?
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
justcallmecloud

Post by justcallmecloud »

Thyrllann wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but they have (in the last two snapshots) added a 'version checker' between server and client, to tell the client if the server is running a different version of vMC to them.

Sound familiar?
Yeah, sounds like most games that have a client and a server interacting with each other.
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

Jeb_ wrote:We found the animal suffocation bug!!!11oneone Unfortunately that means a 1.4.1, and aim for Thursday morning instead of Wednesday afternoon
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/260659871219843072

This makes me happy, I think I lost quite a number of animals to this bug :D
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Perhaps not news per say, but the general discussion currently has 1337 topics :D