Hardcore Bedding Thoughts and Showcases

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
XboxAddict77

Hardcore Bedding Thoughts and Showcases

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Hello guys. With BTW 4.20 we know bed now do not reset our spawn and wont "fast-forward" through the night. FC has said this was to encourage building things. One thing I like about this is his idea of having to build a RR system. So here is what I would like you guys to do.

1. If you have any pictures of cool builds you have made like a RR system or even a cool fortress or something you built that helps with Hardcore Beds.
2. Or discuss how you think this will change the style you play Minecraft I know since my spawn is extremely close to my main base it will mostly make me produce things in my factory faster. (ie mine at night.)
3. Or do both.

I look forward to what this amazing community does with this addition to a awesome mod. Great job FC. ( And that is coming from a once-upon-a-time Tekkit user, BTW is so much better.)
FaceFoiled

Re: Hardcore Bedding Thoughts and Showcases

Post by FaceFoiled »

I love the hardcore beds, I am not 100% sure whether this is on by default or not, but if not I am enforcing it anyway on Edolas. ^_^

It adds so much to a world, beyond the creations of everybody scattered around. The coolest thing (for me) in minecraft SMP, is being able to play with others. Be it hostile (anarchy) or friendly, having cities and builds connected to eachother through railroads and paths adds so much to a world.

A lot of movement is done in the nether, as that is more efficient (total journey / 8). For me though, traveling in the regular world through rail roads and interconnecting builds is the coolest thing, as that just makes the whole world a bigger thing. Visible structures everywhere when you go somewhere just enhances the play experience a lot for me. =)

I've got a nice station setup, let's hope it sees some more use now. :D
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

While I like the idea behind this, I still feel like railroads in vMC need a lot more work for this to be a feature I will enjoy playing on my SSP world. The craziness that is trying to set up a functioning railway network makes me very apathetic towards having to build a six hundred block long commute to my current homestead. I feel like it actually discourages exploration until a decent upgrade of rails is done by Mojang.

As for forcing us to use nighttime, I already do that anyway. I rarely sleep at all. I just dive down underground and take care of crafting and the like until it's daytime again (hooray for skylights!).

For the foreseeable future, I'll probably be disabling this one until a decent rail upgrade happens.
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Considering the config does not have an option to enable/disable hardcore spawn and hardcore beds... I would say its automatically on. Yay
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Adjudicator79 wrote:While I like the idea behind this, I still feel like railroads in vMC need a lot more work for this to be a feature I will enjoy playing on my SSP world. The craziness that is trying to set up a functioning railway network makes me very apathetic towards having to build a six hundred block long commute to my current homestead. I feel like it actually discourages exploration until a decent upgrade of rails is done by Mojang.

As for forcing us to use nighttime, I already do that anyway. I rarely sleep at all. I just dive down underground and take care of crafting and the like until it's daytime again (hooray for skylights!).

For the foreseeable future, I'll probably be disabling this one until a decent rail upgrade happens.
I dunno, it's not that crazy to set up a rail from spawn to your base (obviously a bigger deal the further away it is). What's so complicated about that?

Obviously setting up a massive rail station connecting to every part of your base is tricky but this doesn't really impact that, as you had to do that before anyway (even if you turn this off). The only real new "requirement" is a boosted rail from spawn to base.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I have never built a RR guess its time to figure out how they work.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

OldMarriedDude wrote:I have never built a RR guess its time to figure out how they work.
Sweet...that's what I like to hear :)

Before beds were included in MC, death really encouraged you to build tracks out to your distant bases. I think a lot of us old-time players still had the habit of constructing them, but since beds were included I think the minecart system was lacking that initial motivation to start experimenting with them.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I heard something about up to 5 minecarts linking in an upcoming release which should make unpowered rails a much more viable option. Furnace cart + passenger(s) + storage. Probably an even bigger win with nethercoal.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Aeslynn Winterfell

Post by Aeslynn Winterfell »

How does Nethercoal interact with the powered minecart? I mean I know it cooks twice as long in normal furnace. Does that mean it powers the furnace cart twice as long, or does it to other things like make it go faster or make the cart scream? XD *suddenly thinks of "Crazy Train"*

Edit: Grammar fix.
FlowerChild wrote:
Glace1221 wrote:How does a screw play a role in role-playing on SMP servers when combined with tanned leather armor? I don't see any recipe where a screw can be combined with tanned leather armor.
<face palm>
elustran

Post by elustran »

Having played since Alpha, I have fond memories of running with the zombies in the middle of the night, so I know what that gameplay is like. I know how useful beds can be, and almost always build a rail in my games, so I know how those things factor into gameplay.

Things this does to gameplay:

* Makes your starting spawn more important - encourages trying several worlds before settling on one

* Might encourage spawn camping on anarchy servers. Trolls could harass every single person on the server with something as simple as a platform surrounded by lava. And the spawn chunk is easier to delineate too, with the chunk boundary utility.

* It does encourage rail travel more, perhaps. Personally, that's something I did already.

* It forces players to deal with the horrors of the night.

* It makes building large outdoor projects more difficult because you have to wait.

* Makes death far from spawn more costly than death close to spawn, only somewhat mitigated by the use of rails or canals (which are now more difficult with HCB).

Overall, the biggest potential pitfall is probably spawn camping. I'm also wondering if it might make sense to let people change their spawn once because that retains most of the changes to mood and gameplay without necessitating trying out a bunch of worlds or making it easier for trolls to spawn-camp everybody on the server, but I'll have to try the game with HC beds for a while before finalizing that thought.

To those of you who think rails aren't well-developed in MC, I disagree. The main thing that could be improved is the powered cart. If you need to traverse the map quickly, I encourage you to listen to this to get inspired:
Spoiler
Show
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

This plus Ender Spectacles actually got me to actually get off my ass and light surrounding landscape. Before when I could just skip the night and lighting stuff up was tedious as hell I couldn't be bothered.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The spawn camping thing is already something I plan to resolve with "Hardcore Spawn". It won't be an issue.
elustran

Post by elustran »

FlowerChild wrote:The spawn camping thing is already something I plan to resolve with "Hardcore Spawn". It won't be an issue.
Nice. I look forward to Hardcore Spawn. Will there be placenta?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

elustran wrote: Nice. I look forward to Hardcore Spawn. Will there be placenta?
Hehe...perhaps :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Hmmm, Hardcore Grinding, then Hardcore Bone, Hardcore Bedding, and next, Hardcore Spawning...

Should we now consider BTW as a disease of the sexual transmitted sort that turns you into a spiky/tentacled being and then forces you to spawn more? Obviously with plenty of placenta...
If I have found out your evil plan, please don't smite me!

On-Topic: I'm now off to build a system that automatically transports me back to base when I die :)
It's almost like making a mob-trap...
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:The spawn camping thing is already something I plan to resolve with "Hardcore Spawn". It won't be an issue.
Oh! I think I may know what you're doing now... O.o
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

FlowerChild wrote:
OldMarriedDude wrote:I have never built a RR guess its time to figure out how they work.
Sweet...that's what I like to hear :)

Before beds were included in MC, death really encouraged you to build tracks out to your distant bases. I think a lot of us old-time players still had the habit of constructing them, but since beds were included I think the minecart system was lacking that initial motivation to start experimenting with them.
Yea I started playing MC in 1.6 right when beds were introduced so i have always had the luxury i'm looking forward to using this feature.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Sarudak wrote:Oh! I think I may know what you're doing now... O.o
Oh, Sarudak. Always guessing at FC's next move. :)
Spoiler
Show
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

Hm Hardcore Beds doesn't really efect me since non of my buildings is farer away than 100 blocks from spawn (except for the strongholds and a mushroom-island wich I conected via a nether railway). I really can't say wether this is good or bad.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Sarudak wrote:
Oh! I think I may know what you're doing now... O.o
If this is what I think it is... oh boy. Can't wait to see what it really is.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Aha. I think I know what this might be...
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

to be quite honest, i like the hardcore bedding in certain aspects, but i really dislike it in others. i see the feature as something very much like hardcore buckets. a lot of people enjoy the extra challenge, and changes this bring to game play, however there are also people that don't like this particular change, or it might completely break the way a world is already being designed. having hardcore buckets be optional i think is the perfect solution, after all everyone has a different idea for how they would like to play the game. and lets face it, we will never all agree on everything.

i am now having the same problem with hardcore bedding. it is a great feature in specific aspect's that is for sure. however much like hardcore buckets this introduces such a drastic change to the game, that depending on the player and his world, might completely deter them from playing that world. i currently have a very large world and many large scale projects in my world. as mentioned above hardcore bedding now makes continuing those projects much more annoying and time consuming, as i find my self just waiting around doing random tasks (like tending to crops and such) while i wait for the sun to come up again, so i can continue working on my project. not only because of mobs (it would literally take me days to light up all the surrounding areas and passages and everything i have so far.) but its more difficult to visualize and plan your projects when looking at them at night.

TL:DR hardcore bedding, just like hardcore buckets, changes gameplay so dramatically, it can bring either great joy or great frustration depending on the kind of player. these kinds of changes should be optional, if only for SSP. playing a game is all about fun, fun mean different things to different people.

EDIT: just realized something, so far as i know, this is the first time BTW has directly disabled a feature rather than expanding apoun it. (such as other HC features have) not trying to sound negative, just thought it was an interesting point.
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Since I already have one strong hold hooked up by rail, and the second 60% (600 meters out of a thousand), and I've already built (today) a lovely monorail set up and build the beginnings of a tower where my spawn is... well, this update effects me little, just improves the experience really.

By the way for all you naysayers about rail ways being terrible or something, FC long ago improved the mine cart rails (I think it was FC at least) so that they had less resistance (travel further) all I do is go fairly deep, with several stacks of TNT (Gravel excavation is your friend here/or cobble blaster) and blast out your rail way, this way you also find all the minerals you need to build more rails. I have yet to build a single golem farm, as I've never been low on iron for more then a day. Only problem you may have is the gold you'll need for powered rails, so try to keep your rail road level to reduce that cost.

As for Hardcore Bedding, and BTW lore... simply awesome.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

odranoel wrote:TL:DR hardcore bedding, just like hardcore buckets, changes gameplay so dramatically, it can bring either great joy or great frustration depending on the kind of player. these kinds of changes should be optional, if only for SSP. playing a game is all about fun, fun mean different things to different people.
No, sorry man, but I will always oppose the above. A game designer's job is to determine the method in which people will have fun because most people are incapable of determining what will be fun for themselves in the long run. Hence why it is a professional skill, and not just something you can grab anyone off the street to perform.

Every design decision I make both restricts and expands the ways in which people will enjoy the game. In order for me to be effective as a designer, I must be capable of making these decisions with confidence, even in the face of opposition.

Sometimes convenience acts in direct opposition to fun, despite the fact that may people will initially oppose its removal. I am convinced that beds are such a case.

Your choice with regards to BTW is limited to whether you wish to play it or not. If you do, then you are accepting that I'm in charge of the rules of your world and will change them based on my own judgement of what will create the most enjoyable experience. The only time I include options is when I feel that a feature will break existing builds in ways that I personally do not feel is reasonable. Additional options greatly amplify the amount of work involved in me maintaining the mod. They also greatly increase the difficulty of achieving good balance between various features as they throw huge variables into how someone is actually playing the game. They are not to be included lightly, and Hardcore Bedding is definitely not a case where the feature breaks existing builds despite your assertions to the contrary.

This is simply the way BTW will be played from now on. Period.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Basically it's a feature of better than wolves. Hardcore fun from hardcore game design.