Latest episode of Doctor Who (SPOILERS!!!!)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Latest episode of Doctor Who (SPOILERS!!!!)

Post by FlowerChild »

Rory! Amy! Nooooooooooo!!!!

:)

Excellent frigging episode man. Great way to usher out those two characters. Given its goofiness, I'm never ceased to be amazed at how this show manages to choke me up.
TheLordOfDerp

Re: Latest episode of Doctor Who (SPOILERS!!!!)

Post by TheLordOfDerp »

Magical-telephone-booth-that-can-teleport-itself-and-its-contents-anywhere-in-space-and/or-time-in-a-fraction-of-a-second...
*momentary hyperventelation*
FOR THE WIN!!

I have never once watched Doctor Who.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I was more facinated, and a little scared, how weeping angels can 'convert' other statues if they've enough energy. But yeah, great twist at the end, although it waa callable given the signs.

Edit: and in hindsight it's quite clever, the Doctor says he hates endings and then Amy and Rory get
Spoiler
Show
stuck in a continual time loop.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

I must say though, I wanted to see more of the statue of liberty... ;)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I thought it was a pretty good send-off for them too. They still get to be together and it's all together not a ridiculously horrible fate.
Spoiler
Show
The statue of liberty made no damn sense to me at all, though. I mean, surely someone would notice her on her way to the apartments? o_O

I thought the plot of this episode was that the angels were going to try and take out the power grid or something so that the SOL could move.
Last edited by Miss_Kat on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, admittedly the statue of liberty bit was pretty whacked.

I guess it can be explained away though in that it never actually happened due to the paradox...yada yada :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

It is French >_>
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Foxy Boxes wrote:It is French >_>
And an alien. And there are several of her. And it is a her.
One of those sentences is debatable ...

Back to Doctor Who. Yeah, fantastic way to get rid of Amy and Rory (although I really am upset to see them go. They were - in my opinion - the best companions [River excluded] since the revival). They are gone, there's no way to write them back in, and it wasn't a "big" farewell. Granted, there were some pretty big emotions flying around (and rightfully so), but they were safe, then they were gone. No multi-episode farewell. Utterly fantastic, I really love Moffat's work.

Now we just have to wait 'till Christmas, then we get Oswin on-board, be-she human, dalek, or something else ...
On that note, the Doctor really does love Christmas this year.
He is also darker. And did it appear to anyone else that he was aging rather quickly? Just considering the possibility that Angels Take Manhattan happened before A Town Called Mercy (and some of the other episodes so far), seeing as he was all the more insistent on punishing himself ...
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Eriottosan wrote:They are gone, there's no way to write them back in, and it wasn't a "big" farewell.
Well, I'm not entirely certain about that actually. You'll notice that River was both extremely enthusiastic about Amy going back to be with Rory, and seemingly undisturbed by their death.

I get the impression she knows something there that the Doctor and audience doesn't.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

FlowerChild wrote:I get the impression she knows something there that the Doctor and audience doesn't.
Really? I got the impression that she just understood love better than the Doctor. She's loved him completely for a while, and she knows her parents love each other the same way, whereas the Doctor doesn't want to loose Amy, and doesn't quite understand that level of love. Any in the past is too long ago to be remembered, and his feelings for River are still ... New (despite him being 1200 now, or at least he was in Mercy). I mean, he started pandering about in the TARDIS so that he'd look presentable. Seems more like early relationship jitters than love.

EDIT: That being said, it *is* Moffat writing ... Anything could happen.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote: I get the impression she knows something there that the Doctor and audience doesn't.
"Spoilers!" -River Song
Better is the enemy of Good
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Rory couldn't catch a break, though. First he sees himself die, then he finds his own tombstone instead of getting in the TARDIS.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I did think of one potential way to write them back into the series if they really wanted to:

Acquire stasis pods from some high-tech civilization. Travel back to New York, pre-1930's and deposit them somewhere along with precise instructions to recreate the future (tombstones, etc.). Get Rory and Amy to bury themselves in stasis pods in those graves.

Just because the Doctor can't travel there doesn't really mean that he can't communicate with them through the same method he used with the vase in this last episode.

That scene definitely had the air of finality about it, but upon further reflection, I'm not so sure.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Fc, man, your mind rivals Moffat's. Seriously, dude, I'm doubting every 'definitive' thing in the Whoniverse now!
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Not to mention that River still sees Amy to give her the manuscript for "Melody Malone."
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Not to mention that River still sees Amy to give her the manuscript for "Melody Malone."
She says she'll send it to her, not deliver it, I assume using similar trickery to what I mentioned above for the stasis pods.

Although, there is also the rather conspicuous mention earlier in the episode that River possesses a time-travel device that can get to places/times that the Tardis can't. That might factor into any potential resurrection of Amy & Rory as well.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

FlowerChild wrote: Although, there is also the rather conspicuous mention earlier in the episode that River possesses a time-travel device that can get to places/times that the Tardis can't.
A Vortex Manipulator. Time travel without a capsule. Brutal stuff, barbaric really...
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

I watched it with my hall mates, it was my second day at university. They were in tears, bless them, but it was a really amazing episode. I especially love the weeping angels, they genuinely have some kind of scariness and lack the goofiness that the Daleks seem to maintain. It was an excellent ending, to be honest.
IGN: Matthew_OJ
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

aJaroOllie wrote:I especially love the weeping angels, they genuinely have some kind of scariness and lack the goofiness that the Daleks seem to maintain.
I think it's similar to the [insert name of species from Silence in the Library] in it's scare factor, in that it's not just it's an evil killer, but that you never know quite where one might be. I know after the angel's first appearance I was creeped out as fuck, thanks to going to a gregorian style school >_>
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I finally got caught up. Damn that was a clever episode. I was a little on the fence about this season, but that was brilliant.
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

This is odd because I was actually watching Dr. Who tonight, although not this episode, and now I see that there's something about it on the forum.

Mother of squid that 'Empty Child' episode is creepy. I think it's a few years old, but I'd never seen it before, and O_O.

This is the second Dr. Who episode I've ever watched.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The Angels may be the scariest nemesis ever created but Lady Liberty with that face just felt really silly. No one stopped to stare for more than a few seconds after hearing the thundering, earthshaking footsteps before it was able to travel a mile and a half? Really?

I am aware that I have a tendency to overanalyze but the last two episodes have sort of bugged me. It's how you know that this episode was so well written that I didn't start picking things apart until the next day and even then I've stuck to relatively minor things.

And I don't know how the hell the Doctor is going to tell Brian about this right after making his promise.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Foxy Boxes wrote:I think it's similar to the [insert name of species from Silence in the Library] in it's scare factor, in that it's not just it's an evil killer, but that you never know quite where one might be.
Vashta Nerada. Just pointing this out here, as you mentioned the episode. Silence in the Library was one of the earliest episodes that Moffat had control over, and indeed it was the first one aired after Moffat was announced as Russell T Davies' successor as head writer for the series. It is also the first episode with River Song.

Now, some people call me crazy. Some people say I read too much into it. And they are probably right. But I'm still hoping for some big plot point here.

Does noone else think it's strange that the first episode with River references Silence in the title?
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Eriottosan wrote:Does noone else think it's strange that the first episode with River references Silence in the title?
I'll have to rewatch it, but doesn't the first one to die say she can't remember what she was doing when she died?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The trick is to remember that she's living her life backwards relative to the timeline of the Doctor that we follow and goes out of her way to avoid spoiling the ending. She's willing to kill to that end, do you really believe she wouldn't lie?

This overarching storyline has crossed the borders of multiple series now and there is no doubt in my mind that the Silence is something Moffat had been heading for from the beginning.