nether chickens: ideas?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BobSlingblade679

nether chickens: ideas?

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

I just got to the point where I'd like to make an egg farm in the nether as I did in a previous world. That way I have a food source without needing to head back to the overworld when I get low on food. However, the one I had before was before HC chickens. From what I can tell from the wiki every filter passes seeds and since I pretty much need the chickens to sit on a hopper to collect the eggs, I'm thinking about some form of piston system that pulls back so a dispenser can spit seeds onto a solid block, waits for the chickens to eat the seeds, and then pushes the chickens back into place on top of the hopper. I literally thought of this as I started to type this so I haven't tested the theory.

Anyone have any good ideas for a nether chicken/egg farm?
Itamarcu

Re: nether chickens: ideas?

Post by Itamarcu »

Why do you need the chickens to be directly standing on the hoppers?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Chickens can coexist with other blocks on top of hoppers. This may sound pretty buggy and exploity, but if you use an open trapdoor to lock them in place on top of the hopper, you can effectively make a small "pen" and feed them from the outside.

This is a picture of my current setup. It is more of a fun design, but it does the job and you'll get the idea.
Spoiler
Show
The chickens are on top of the hopper, 1 chicken per hopper, and they have 3 blocks on each side plus a trapdoor on the front. A water stream goes on top of the glass, and it brings them the seeds.
Actually, thinking now, you can probably get away with just encasing them with 4 blocks+1 on top+hopper, and dump the seeds in the block diagonal to the chickens. They have quite a big range I believe.
BobSlingblade679

Will that work without water? I want this in the nether.
BobSlingblade679

Itamarcu wrote:Why do you need the chickens to be directly standing on the hoppers?
How else would the eggs get collected?
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Will that work without water? I want this in the nether.
My post was intended for you to understand that you don't need to have the seeds falling on the same block as the chicken. Experiment for yourself, they can pick up seeds from the blocks next to them. Therefore, if you trap them and dump the seeds next to them they'll still eat them.

Play around with different designs, see what the limitations of what you want to do are. It is always better to test first, post questions later. That is the only way to discover new things.
BobSlingblade679

embirrim wrote:
BobSlingblade679 wrote:Will that work without water? I want this in the nether.
My post was intended for you to understand that you don't need to have the seeds falling on the same block as the chicken. Experiment for yourself, they can pick up seeds from the blocks next to them. Therefore, if you trap them and dump the seeds next to them they'll still eat them.

Play around with different designs, see what the limitations of what you want to do are. It is always better to test first, post questions later. That is the only way to discover new things.
Ah, I get it now. Good idea! I'll probably go with that idea. Thanks.

As far as experimentation I understand the concept. I just wanted to see if anyone had come up with some cool builds.

I never would have thought about trap doors. Pretty obvious now, though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Btw, I've got it on my todo list to get rid of chickens in the nether. You may not want to invest too much time into this.
BobSlingblade679

FlowerChild wrote:Btw, I've got it on my todo list to get rid of chickens in the nether. You may not want to invest too much time into this.
*sad face*

Thanks for the heads-up, though. :)
BobSlingblade679

Actually, I'm confused. I thought you wanted to incenticize people spending more time in the Nether. Its not a big hit on incentive since a couple stacks of food will last quite a while but I'm just wondering what the gain is. (Please don't smite me)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Actually, I'm confused. I thought you wanted to incenticize people spending more time in the Nether. Its not a big hit on incentive since a couple stacks of food will last quite a while but I'm just wondering what the gain is. (Please don't smite me)
Yes, I do, but not through homogenizing it with the overworld. My general approach has been to provide things to do in the nether that can't be done in the overworld, rather than just move people over there wholesale.

Chickens were a problem in that regard to begin with, and with Mojang's upcoming change to allow all animals in the nether, I feel I'm going to have to take steps to prevent the two from becoming almost functionally equivalent.

This is basically the same thing as me disabling netherwart growth in the overworld, but in reverse. I'm trying to keep the two distinct.
BobSlingblade679

Ah. As always your logic is flawless. Thanks for not smiting me. :D
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

FlowerChild wrote:[quote="BobSlingblade679"
This is basically the same thing as me disabling netherwart growth in the overworld, but in reverse. I'm trying to keep the two distinct.
Well that explains why my netherwart isnt growing- With all due respect FC ur a pain in my head :) - but thats a good thing I like challenges
shifty

Post by shifty »

FlowerChild wrote:
BobSlingblade679 wrote:Actually, I'm confused. I thought you wanted to incenticize people spending more time in the Nether. Its not a big hit on incentive since a couple stacks of food will last quite a while but I'm just wondering what the gain is. (Please don't smite me)
Yes, I do, but not through homogenizing it with the overworld. My general approach has been to provide things to do in the nether that can't be done in the overworld, rather than just move people over there wholesale.

Chickens were a problem in that regard to begin with, and with Mojang's upcoming change to allow all animals in the nether, I feel I'm going to have to take steps to prevent the two from becoming almost functionally equivalent.

Why do I get the impression that in a future release, animals transported to the nether might appear inside out on the other side...
BobSlingblade679

shifty wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:

Why do I get the impression that in a future release, animals transported to the nether might appear inside out on the other side...
...With tentacles. But really, FC's reply makes me wonder what he's gonna do with that. Either remove that feature or make animals that pass through them mutate. I wouldn't be suprised if they were aggressive. Maybe new drops. Or just make them unable to breed...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Now we're just getting to the point of rampant speculation.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
BobSlingblade679

morvelaira wrote:Now we're just getting to the point of rampant speculation.
Yeah. Haha. Probably deserves its own thread. I'm satisfied, though. I'll just wait and see what FC does.
shifty

Post by shifty »

morvelaira wrote:Now we're just getting to the point of rampant speculation.
Sorry for derailing the thread, couldn't resist a Galaxy Quest reference.
william711

Post by william711 »

aww, I kinda liked chickens in the nether. it made them sort of...evil.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

This is my waterless auto chicken setup.

Yoinks. -Flower
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

the_fodder wrote:This is my waterless auto chicken setup.
That's a bit of an exploit mind you.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

are you talking about filling the hopper? OK, then use Moulds instead of dirt.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

the_fodder wrote:are you talking about filling the hopper? OK, then use Moulds instead of dirt.
That'd still be considered an exploit. It's why FC made it so Hoppers deploy their contents at random, to prevent that sort of filtering.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Right, if I was using that in a sorting system.

The hoppers are unpowered and the dirt is just a placeholder until I have enough eggs. I see it as the same level of exploit as chickens eating seeds through a corner of a block.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I don't get it then, why the dirt, if you're not passing items through it?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.