FlowerChild's Dev Diary (week of September 24th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheAnarchitect

Re: FlowerChild's Dev Diary (week of September 24th)

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hmmm.... I think there's another thread here somewhere.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Am I really the only one using the fact that BTW allows you to craft actual signs in your inventory window to leave actual signs while spelunking rather than a complex torch pattern system? FC gives us incredible tools and it seems like they get ignored sometimes. I used to consider a stack of planks to be essential gear for exploring. Now I cut them into stacks of moulding and get the flexibility to build anything from torches to an entire workshop down there.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

DaveYanakov wrote:Am I really the only one using the fact that BTW allows you to craft actual signs in your inventory window to leave actual signs while spelunking rather than a complex torch pattern system? FC gives us incredible tools and it seems like they get ignored sometimes. I used to consider a stack of planks to be essential gear for exploring. Now I cut them into stacks of moulding and get the flexibility to build anything from torches to an entire workshop down there.
My computer kinda suck so I'm not that hot on leaving tile entities all over my map unless I have to.
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

Now I feel bad about skipping the night more often than not in my most recent world. Time to reset again, just got a working Saw too...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

You can pull the signs back up as you seal off the branches. Some of the networks are just plain big though so it's handy to have detailed instructions at the intersections
Better is the enemy of Good
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Hearing all this talk about celestial navigation makes me wish there was some way to navigate using stars, but they change depending on the seed. Still, I missed the days when Minecraft was tamed through maps and markers, not minimaps or F3. Also, I know for a fact that compasses were really glitchy back in beta, I don't know how well they do now.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Hearing all this talk about celestial navigation makes me wish there was some way to navigate using stars, but they change depending on the seed. Still, I missed the days when Minecraft was tamed through maps and markers, not minimaps or F3. Also, I know for a fact that compasses were really glitchy back in beta, I don't know how well they do now.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that while they do use a seed to generate, the seed is always the same...somehow. Anyways, that's not the real problem with celestial navigation. The problem is that where a star is in the sky doesn't depend on the time of the year, it depends on the time of night. It would be easier to just look at the moon.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok guys, the off-topic is getting rather out of control. Let's reign it in a bit please.
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

I'm really excited for all the new things you are developing, FC. I like the direction you've been taking the mod with reworking a lot of the dumb/glitchy/ill-conceived/half-assed features that Mojang had implemented.
He flaps his boney wings at you, but you ask how he can fly with those things and he crashes to the ground.
devak

Post by devak »

I barely ever use F3 because i keep forgetting the coordinates to my base, so in my main world i usually build some stupendously large tower, and just try to walk in 1 direction as much as possible.

It requires a sense of remembering important map features, like a certain river or hill you need to navigate, and is not like every other hill/river/whatever ever.

On hardcore mobs:

had a discussion on the server about mobs.

The only real scary mob is the Creeper. This is because it has the power to actually destroy your creation. In a world essentially about control, it's the ultimate form of loosing control. Even after all this time of playing MC and all this time of fighting them, i still think "crap" when i see one, and i will always remember my first Creeper encounter. And i simply can not say the same about any other mob.

So yea, i hope you can make more interesting, more engaging mobs that give that "holy crap" feeling, without them becoming like Griefermen, who are just plain annoying.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Wow FC your the genius of the "expansion" pack. Been gone for quite a while off the forums due to school and ect. Just got back and I love your work. F3 was always an overrated system. Once I found out about it I stopped building safe houses, way points, roadways, ect. I used to have a real this place is getting civilized feel to it. Now with these new addition MC is starting to feel much much more realistic. I cant wait to actually start playing it again. My hat is off to you man and I hope your ideas and epiphanies keep coming because they have no equal.

PS. I've been gone for so long that I cant remember everything anymore so this should be fun having to restart it all again. I'll try to keep you posted. :D
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Fc, about the removal of F3, considering you mentioned creating ways to do things ingame that would be impossible with this change, I wonder if you plan to add something in regard with creating linked nether portals?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.