FlowerChild's Dev Diary (week of September 24th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jadedcat

Re: FlowerChild's Dev Diary (week of September 24th)

Post by jadedcat »

The idea of minimaps being incompatible makes me very very happy, intentional or not.

Absolutely wonderful.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, hold on. While grabbing a shower I realized the 0 to 15 system I proposed above has a fatal problem, and then I thought of the solution ;)

The problem is: this would still tell you which way north is. This is bad, as it totally eliminates using the sky for the same purpose (one of the problems I mentioned already in this thread with F3).

Solution: Instead, provide a single number that tells you the distance to the *closest* chunk boundary. This provides the info you need, and prevents it being used for orientation.
PatriotBob wrote: Someday, if we're very good boys and girls (not likely), maybe FC will make the compass actually point north.
Dude...look up.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

kazerima wrote:Of course, even though F3 is being removed modified, you can always count your coordinates the hard way ;D
One step... two step...
I suspect that is at least part of the point.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just one other point about compasses:

I actually REALLY like that they point at spawn. In terms of backstory, it gives the impression that some gigantic electromagnetic event occurred there, which TOTALLY fits the backstory I've been evolving for the mod.

It also leads to celestial navigation (or would if not for *&^% F3), which is a huge win in my books.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Also, I was only just starting to make use of coordinates in my current world, so I'm glad for the changes to BTW happening now to keep me away from that slippery slippery slope.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, hold on. While grabbing a shower I realized the 0 to 15 system I proposed above has a fatal problem, and then I thought of the solution ;)

The problem is: this would still tell you which way north is. This is bad, as it totally eliminates using the sky for the same purpose (one of the problems I mentioned already in this thread with F3).

Solution: Instead, provide a single number that tells you the distance to the *closest* chunk boundary. This provides the info you need, and prevents it being used for orientation.
Would using this system for the creation of slime farms count as a fair use of f3, or would you prefer players have some other means to identify the borders of slime chunks?
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

You should just replace F3 with the iOS6 mapping system.

Seriously, though, this is good. I'm pretty good about not using F3 (I occasionally use it to find my height while caving, but that's it). It had really never occurred to me to use it to find my way back to my base - I just either build at the spawn or memorize the route from spawn to base - but it's good not to even have the ability to.

I think the better maps that are coming out would help with this, too. If maps were good for actual navigation, a lot fewer players would resort to using these cheats.
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Sarudak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Lol...yeah, I definitely design for an older audience.
You know I never really thought I'd hear myself referred to as an 'older audience'... :P
Ditto...didn't see that one coming. I'm neutral on the update - it fits BTW as much as anything, of course~
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I'm looking forward to it, as i do actively use a compass and maps as much as I can, to try to keep myself "within the game". On occasion I do use F3 to check my height to see if I can find out how screwed I am when my inventory is full at the bottom of the world, or in more recent events, to keep track of people on SMP.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

OH! And yet another point on compasses:

Have you guys ever considered that they may already be pointing north?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:OH! And yet another point on compasses:

Aha. Spawn may be the north pole? You said a large electromagnetic disturbance can account for the compass's pointing, maybe steve's entering of the world created it's magnetic field :)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Well, if we are to assume that steve lives in a blocky world on a round(ish) planet, and spawn(0,0) is to be the center of said planet, then it would be safe to assume that so long as the compass points to spawn it would technically be pointing north.

Right? Or am I way off base?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:OH! And yet another point on compasses:

See that's the thing, people get all stuck on the whole "This way is East because of how the sun rises". There's no good reason to think the minecraft world is a spherical world, and especially that it rotates on an axis in an orbit around a star. None of those assumptions are necessary at all but they are always made. Really nothing regarding the world or orientation suggests it's anything at all like earth.
william711

Post by william711 »

actually, from a geometrical standpoint, the mine craft world does have to be spherical for it to have a north pole. If the mine craft world is an infinite flat plane with the spawn as its north pole then which way is the south pole?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Also, keep in mind that compasses point to *magnetic* north, not true north. There's no reason why the magnetic pole needs to be the same as the rotational, even if the world were spherical, and there are a ton of cool possible explanations as to why that might be the case.

What if the MC world has been knocked off of its axis for example?

As I said earlier today: you can justify just about any gameplay through backstory if you're creative. It's a hell of a lot more fun to speculate in character rather than just say "Hurr durr...this makes no sense".
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Maybe the world of Minecraft really IS a sphere, but it's so huge that we can't see the curvature? What if every block in the game is infintesimally smaller on the underside than the top? Maybe the Void is the planet's interior! Plus, that would explain why the sun and stars are always in the same place every day and night. We're living on the equator of a planet whose rotational axis is exactly perpendicular to the orbit plane, and we never get far enough from the equator to make a difference in the night sky. Woo astronomy!

Also, loving the idea of replacing F3 with a 'toolkit' of in-game items. I actually thought of doing something like that a while back, but at the time I had neither the modding skill or time. Your version will be better than mine would anyway :)
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Vellt480

Post by Vellt480 »

Get Rei's minimap its completely compatible and the u can tell wat is north
Batman: Wanna know why i make amazing movies?
Superman:...Cause your Bat-
Batman: CAUSE IM BATMAN!
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Just wanted to chime in quickly and say that I'm really liking these changes to F3. Also, I've been in multiple discussions on IRC where I've tried to tell people why minimaps are bad, with varying results. I'm more than happy they're out tbh! :)
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

FlowerChild wrote:Also, keep in mind that compasses point to *magnetic* north, not true north. There's no reason why the magnetic pole needs to be the same as the rotational, even if the world were spherical, and there are a ton of cool possible explanations as to why that might be the case.

As I said earlier today: you can justify just about any gameplay through backstory if you're creative. It's a hell of a lot more fun to speculate in character rather than just say "Hurr durr...this makes no sense".
Who says it's magnetism either? I mean, you're using redstone as the needle, not iron, who knows what that could be attracted to.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Vellt480 wrote:Get Rei's minimap its completely compatible and the u can tell wat is north
Lawl. Not anymore! :3 Besides, remembering waypoints and things is much more fun.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Inatun wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Also, keep in mind that compasses point to *magnetic* north, not true north. There's no reason why the magnetic pole needs to be the same as the rotational, even if the world were spherical, and there are a ton of cool possible explanations as to why that might be the case.

Who says it's magnetism either? I mean, you're using redstone as the needle, not iron, who knows what that could be attracted to.
Hmm, I like this, and it fits with the phases and kind of mob spawning too. There is a "strength" of mysterious force this this spot that attracts compasses, drew steve to this world, and repels mobs from spawning as it cancels out the world weaknesses caused by darkness to some degree. Through the "device" we may channel this force for our own means.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Inatun wrote:Who says it's magnetism either? I mean, you're using redstone as the needle, not iron, who knows what that could be attracted to.
+1 on this. I like you already too :)
simanick

Post by simanick »

as stated before i think of redstone as a spin in quantum mechanics, which would be effected by things as strange as magnetic mono poles which is what came to mind with this talk about spawn being the north pole and i would rather thing of the overworld as a super large Torus like all magic worlds in games.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:You should just replace F3 with the iOS6 mapping system.
I lol'd.

I've never really understood why players are insistent that minecraft conform to our earth's geography and solar movement and industrial development and such. The period where the sun/moon were round pissed me off, minecraft is square based, why would the sun/moon conform to reality for the sake of itself?
East/West/North/South are also are arbitrary in minecraft, i mean who knows what the testificates named those directions? I will say though its incredibly useful in smp, because cardinal directions are universal and navigating by them is easy.

I like the theory that spawn isn't magnetic or any pole we know of and rather its something else entirely reacting with redstone.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Man, I never thought there would be day that I found myself fascinated by the backstory of MineCraft. o.O ~adds note to "why BTW rocks" list~

More on-topic: I personally have a rule against using F3, so this doesn't really affect me. My g/f, who often prefers to do things the easy way, would probably be upset... if I had ever told her about F3 in the first place. :p

Beds... ~shrug~ No beds just means bigger mineshafts, the way I work. I don't really use vMC beds, anyway - I was a Somnia fan until that went Forge (or is it even updated to the latest version? Who knows...) because beds as "magic sun-moon teleportation devices" super-breaks my verisimilitude. Not to mention monsters teleporting into my house because I built my bed next to a wall has always struck me as terrible game design.

I liked Somnia because it's basically an AFK-reducer, compressing time that I'm not likely to spend doing anything else anyway (mining bores me after a while...). I also liked it for being the only reason I would ever craft a clock (maybe it's just me, but the clock seems to be just about the most useless item in MineCraft).

However, since BTW went multiplayer and I started playing with my g/f, I find I AFK vastly less anyway, since with two people it's quite fun to venture out into the night and go monster-hunting (We even fought a spider jockey once! I'd never even SEEN one before...).

tl;dr: F3 - yay. Beds - ~shrug~
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."