New Beginnings

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DocHussey

New Beginnings

Post by DocHussey »

With the advent of Hardcore Bouy and never using HCB Before, I decided why not start anew? I wasn't too attached to my old world (I kept it though!). Here's the beginnings!
**Warning, lots of pictures!**

Home, humble though it may be. You can't see it, but the sun sets behind it, and rises right in front of the door!
Spoiler
Show
To the right, you will see my first windmill, as well as some of my initial mechanization's.
Spoiler
Show
To the left is a personal favorite touch, my tree farm! I ranged far and wide to find the pines and jungle trees. One sapling and three cocoa beans made it back here from over 3000 blocks away!
Spoiler
Show
Inside, not the standard three furnaces, and there beside them is the shutoff for my close windmill.
Spoiler
Show
Speaking of which, lets view those mechanical things! This is my millstone setup. Also, there's a saw for no reason other than I never moved it.
Spoiler
Show
Regular stewing pot, over nether rack, as momma intended.
Spoiler
Show
Before I had wolves, I had hundreds of cows, this is all that remain...
Spoiler
Show
Speaking of wolves, say hi.
Spoiler
Show
I brought back three vines from my jungle expedition, they flourish nicely here on the beach.
Spoiler
Show
Lets cross the bay, head on over to the bunker!
Spoiler
Show
Within, I have a total of five rooms, four for storage, one for expirimentation/passing out.
Spoiler
Show
Let's leave the bunker, nice view over the bay.
Spoiler
Show
Here we see my farming mess, courtesy of HCB, I paved over a bit of my lagoon for farming. I think it came out well, even if I'm never going to automate it.
Spoiler
Show
If you looked it over, thanks! If not, well, your loss! I'm going to continue updating in smaller pictorials, especially once I get my pottery mess sorted. It works great, only one vase made out of 200 urns, but my redstone is scary, I'm talking a bank of 28 repeaters... Soul urn bottling isn't much better, but it's functional too. No losses!.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
duartemad

Re: New Beginnings

Post by duartemad »

Pretty cool! You did all that in a day?
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Being off work yesterday and today and having caught the release at the moment it came down the pipeline, I have had nothing but time. With the new XP system, the goal was dog to diamonds, get some obsidian, then make an enchanting table. That makes life go by a lot quicker. Not to mention I'm pretty fluent now in starting anew!
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I actually started a new world the other day too, just to keep my builds consistent. My old world, which I still dearly love is pre-HCB. I had finally kicked the 'new world bug' too ;) Ended up just going with the first world I loaded, which consequently was a nice little would-be survival island (if I hadn't put Sargunster's add-on in there as well, got a lot of fruit trees). I did find a not too distant mainland with all tasty animal needs, so definitely a keeper. I'll post some pics after I get back out of the nether, which will be in a few hours. My first nether portal was kind enough to teleport me into a nether stronghold, so I have lots of business to conduct in the underworld.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Ribky wrote: which consequently was a nice little would-be survival island (if I hadn't put Sargunster's add-on in there as well, got a lot of fruit trees)
I thought his addon wasn't ready for 4.14?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

The only thing in it that doesn't work with 4.14 is the buoyancy of the add-on's items as far as I can tell. I threw it in there when I made the world to see if it would work. I don't recommend using it or not using it, as I don't want to say "Everything is all hunky-dory! Throw it in there!" and then have your world get jacked up. So instead, short answer is, no it isn't ready for 4.14, but I'm using it on a testing basis.

EDIT:
Right then... Back from the nether and work slowed down enough for me to get some shots, here you go :)

Foreground is my humble fishing post. Good way to spend the nights, since the island was devoid of sheep.
Spoiler
Show
Standard starter hemp farm is running at 100%.
Spoiler
Show
Hemp/wheat lab. Also seems to be where all those damn hipster cows like to hang out.
Spoiler
Show
Inside of the island lodge, not really decorated yet...
Spoiler
Show
Just got the windmill up and running :)
Spoiler
Show
The island does have all animals except sheep now, after a trip to the mainland. Pigs live in a hole, everything else is free range. The Chicken population also boomed after I got a magic egg, 4 babies 1 egg.
The spice must flow...

Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Did either of you guys go for super large biomes ? It doesn't look like doc did but i can't tell based on rickby's pictures. Anyway i was thinking of doing starting a new game on large biomes but the idea of searching for mycelium again is the only real thing i dread about it.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Yep, I'm on Large Biomes. Spawned in a large ocean biome (if I travel west by boat, which I did, I hit a desert mainland after about 2.5km, I am very close to a mainland Taiga to the east, and I haven't even tried North or South yet.) Figured I'd give it a go. I'm loving it, though the travel time between biomes is far more dangerous and time consuming.
The spice must flow...

DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Of course I used large biomes! I drooled about it for months waiting for the release, I don't play regular worlds anymore. I just like to situate myself on the edges of biomes, eg ocean/desert/river/forest. Did you read the pictures? When was the last time soneone on a normal map hd to range 3km for jungle?
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

DocHussey wrote:Of course I used large biomes! I drooled about it for months waiting for the release, I don't play regular worlds anymore. I just like to situate myself on the edges of biomes, eg ocean/desert/river/forest. Did you read the pictures? When was the last time soneone on a normal map hd to range 3km for jungle?
Nahh i didn't take in all the information, i just saw the what looked like borders. Anyway i take it neither of you two have found a mushroom island yet? I think the Anarchitect started a new Large biomes world. I'de be interested which if you 3 finds mycelium first.

I remember how climactic my first non-seed cheat mushroom island was. I celebrated when i finally got home by building an automated system that would just crank out mycelium dirt blocks.

I think i finaally found an ocean about 2.7 km east from my spawn in my normal world. If the wiki is right Large biomes are 4 x the size so we are looking at 10.8 km which is sadistic, and that's assuming you pick the correct direction and my sample is even representative.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Walking, running, walking, running... Miles and days in each direction, veering off for interesting fun... Still no mushrooms...
simanick

Post by simanick »

iv been playing with large biomes with my roommate sense 4.00 and found my mushroom biome today about 21k away from home and about 23 from spawn, was looking for a new swamp for clay as we striped the last one.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I did just find a jungle... finally, thus completing my sapling collection and allowing me to begin corrupting hell.
The spice must flow...

DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

simanick wrote:iv been playing with large biomes with my roommate sense 4.00 and found my mushroom biome today about 21k away from home and about 23 from spawn, was looking for a new swamp for clay as we striped the last one.
Not to tell ya how to play mate, but have you ever considered enchanting a helm to try to get Resperation/Aqua Affinity and deep diving the rivers/lakes/ocean? TONNES of clay there.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Some new developments incoming tonight around eleven eastern standard time! New machines! Better wiring! Plus more! See you tonight!
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

I'm running late! Uploading in 45 mins folks!
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Alright, here it is, UPDATE TIME! Ran a little late coming home from work, had moose to deal with.
Spoiler
Show
Yeah, it's moose season up here in Jackman, this is one of ten moose that came in today.
Anyways, on to more Minecraft-y stuff! I made some minor alterations to my experiment room. Added some more furnaces and got to playing with lens physics. FYI, water stops a lens light. Not what I wanted to see, but it has some interesting possibilities for down the road.
Spoiler
Show
I also got some major restructuring done on my pottery wheel and soul bottler.
Spoiler
Show
This is looking into my pottery wheel. There's a piston that pushes the finished pottery into a waiting hopper. Above the turntable is a block dispenser which takes care of making the unfired pots.
Here's a view of my redstone stup for timing the pottery. The lonely repeaters in the wire are used for determining what I'm allowing the wheel to make. Right now it's set up for urns, of which I have hundreds now...
Spoiler
Show
This is my bottling apparatus, which is semi automatic.
The redstone setup releases two pulses at a time to the dispensers per button press, tossing four ground 'rack at a press.
Here's the magic bottler itself. Works like a charm, no loss in 'rack/bottles at all. I'm popping out about 25ish a minute.
And it's simple wiring!
I harvest everything manually, so I must say that I'm looking pretty sharp with this stockpile going on here!
Spoiler
Show
And lo! What is this strange dark obelisk rising out of the ground? Thassrite! Mobtower of Fun! Not working quite right, I need to find a cave somewhere nearby that's eating my spawns up, but it's going somewhat. I've got a chest full of drops and a scroll of smite.
Spoiler
Show
And my stewing pot took a much needed upgrade as well, got itself some hibachi and a bellows, now she's all set to render like a pro, unlike my old graphics card (AI-YO!).
Spoiler
Show
Now, the big news! It' time to bid a very fond Au Revoir to my little sea side home. I heard that Charlie Sheen just got foreclosed on, so I went to take a look and snatched up the property!
Spoiler
Show
He was very paranoid, as this seemed to be the only was in that the auctioneer could find. Strange, but descend we shall!
She's definitely a fixer-upper, but I'm sure within that library there will be some relevant knowledge on how to right this and get it sparkling! Too bad it looks like Mr. Sheen used this place as a spider hatchery more-so than a knowledge centre...
I'm going to say though, his tastes did kind of border on the decadent at times, I mean look at this fountain! There's three of them in this place!

And then there's this... Thing. Kind of macabre if you ask me, I mean there's a book full of strange writings... Anyone have any ideas?
simanick

Post by simanick »

DocHussey wrote: Not to tell ya how to play mate, but have you ever considered enchanting a helm to try to get Resperation/Aqua Affinity and deep diving the rivers/lakes/ocean? TONNES of clay there.
well i should note that when i said striped a swamp i mean a whole large biome swamp that was about 2k by 2k in area, all the rivers and lakes around that we have found are bare and i find i die more when i go after oceans so i dont even when i do have a resperation helm (im bad at watching my air).

wow nice collection of stuff you have there, you power thought the tech tree much faster then i can is rather scary.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

There are certain things I go for right off the bat, I plant a shitload of crops, and build a bunch of hoes to get hemp seeds. Then while I'm mining they mature. I don't even bother grinding until I have enough hemp for a windmill and 64 axels. At that point it's two millstones placed a block apart and grind away. By this point, I've got plenty of food and maybe even diamonds. From there, everything falls into place.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I think everyone is starting new I have a new world as well.

One note wolves that are right next to the wall will not produce dung ever. they need a one block gap all around them. solution push them all into the center of you dung farm. I go stuck with this for hours before consulting the wiki. Found a couple of diamonds in the mean time so no real loss.

I never thought of just building into water.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Not many people do from what I've seen, actually, they would rather terraform over a small shallow pond than turn it into an in place farm. Weird. As far as my wolves go, I've gotten so much dung that I'm not concerned about a few missed shots.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Whoa. Just frigging whoa. So, I'm going through the new property, right? I hate the looks of the walls so I'm all like "Hey, let's tear out the old looking crappy broken mossy rocks and put shiny new ones in!" I decided that I didn't like some blocks being where they were and attacked them with the pick, HELLO SILVERFISH! So, time to go on a silverfish rampage. I lost count of blocks after 500... However, I'm doing fairly well renovating, it's beginning to look less like a bomb-squad testing home now and more like a castle that it was supposed to be. It's ALOT of work, I don't recommend stronghold restructuring to anyone short of masochists.