Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by Mason11987 »

SterlingRed wrote:
Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Elevatator wrote:I´m pretty sure I know what Fc will make with the bats.
Bite their heads of?
Seems to me that bats are just a "neat" aesthetic feature. Not every new thing has a use, or should have one. We also don't know if they will stay. The last time Minecraft had a Halloween update, some of the content was temporary if I remember right. (I could be wrong, I started playing a month after that update)
I don't think there was temporary content. Mojang has said the witch is permanent, I assume the bat will be too.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

SterlingRed wrote:
Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Elevatator wrote:I´m pretty sure I know what Fc will make with the bats.
Bite their heads of?
Seems to me that bats are just a "neat" aesthetic feature. Not every new thing has a use, or should have one. We also don't know if they will stay. The last time Minecraft had a Halloween update, some of the content was temporary if I remember right. (I could be wrong, I started playing a month after that update)
No, the main content for 2010 Halloween update was Nether. There was change that made monsters spawn in brighter light at low y levels, but it later reverted because it was annoying, not because Halloween passed.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Batwing crunchies? (Old MMO reference.)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

hmm bats you say. Time to start building a belfry.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Devdisigdu

Post by Devdisigdu »

So it turns out that Monster Egg blocks may now be found while mining, if the wiki is anything to go by. I might actually see silverfish for once, since I've never felt the need to go stronghold hunting. I sometimes forget they exist.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

Bats? cool. Witches? cool. The only problem I have with them making new mobs is the bugs they /aren't/ fixing with the same amount of time. My real problem with this is the new Log placement. I typically use Logs facing up for walls and such, and if I'm moving around sideways, it's going to place them wrong. They said it was just a test though, so I hope it won't actually be in the update...
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If I remember right, last year's removed content was some kind of chest that provided a steam-like purchase-interface for in-game content. It was strictly a joke though, and was removed shortly after.

Here it is:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Locked_Chest

But yeah, it was April Fool's, not Halloween, and I doubt something like a new creature would be removed.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Yeah thanks for correcting me on that.
It strikes me as strange then if they've never removed content like this before, why did they come out and say they wouldn't remove witches? It makes me wonder if some of the features aren't staying.
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

SterlingRed wrote:Yeah thanks for correcting me on that.
It strikes me as strange then if they've never removed content like this before, why did they come out and say they wouldn't remove witches? It makes me wonder if some of the features aren't staying.
Perhaps because of the fact that it's so blatantly different or Halloween themed that even the main player base is starting to wonder what direction Mojang is taking this game.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

SterlingRed wrote:Yeah thanks for correcting me on that.
Mojang testing gameplay ideas before a full release? *gasp*
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ooooo...happiness!
Updated and added new sounds by C418

Added a sound for climbing up Ladders
New block-placing sounds: Wood, Stone, Plants, Sand, Gravel, although unintended by C418[3]
New footstep sounds: Sand, Gravel, Soulsand, Grass Block, and Stone
New mob sounds: Cow, Pigs, Enderman, Zombie, and Skeleton
New tool sounds: Flint and Steel, Shears (when shearing sheep)
Lava and Flowing Water now have constant noise
Added level up sound, but will be changed later for a shorter one
This is good news. I always love it when they add new sounds as it gives me a lot more to play around with for the mod features. Now if I could just get a stone-grinding sound in there so I could get rid of the %&*# explosions on the Mill Stone ;)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:Ooooo...happiness!
Updated and added new sounds by C418

Added a sound for climbing up Ladders
New block-placing sounds: Wood, Stone, Plants, Sand, Gravel, although unintended by C418[3]
New footstep sounds: Sand, Gravel, Soulsand, Grass Block, and Stone
New mob sounds: Cow, Pigs, Enderman, Zombie, and Skeleton
New tool sounds: Flint and Steel, Shears (when shearing sheep)
Lava and Flowing Water now have constant noise
Added level up sound, but will be changed later for a shorter one
This is good news. I always love it when they add new sounds as it gives me a lot more to play around with for the mod features. Now if I could just get a stone-grinding sound in there so I could get rid of the %&*# explosions on the Mill Stone ;)
Awesome stuff. This is what I love to hear!
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

The new cow sounds are weird, but considerably quieter and less obnoxious compared to the old ones, so that's cool. The level up tone seems OK, but I bet that if you picked up large amounts of XP at once (like after the enderdragon) it'd be annoying as hell. Also, water and lava have continuous flow sounds? Hallelujah! The little pause in the noise has always bugged me.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Am I the only one who thinks a witch doesn't really fit into minecraft? The bat could be cool especially if they did something like have them roost in caves in swarms and if you light it up they all attack you... Doubt they'll do that though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Am I the only one who thinks a witch doesn't really fit into minecraft? The bat could be cool especially if they did something like have them roost in caves in swarms and if you light it up they all attack you... Doubt they'll do that though.
I'm alarmed to be seeing them straying from the whole "monster archtype" thing, which I've talked about in the past as being one of the strengths of MC mob-design.

But...what can you do? Random new mobs are easy to come up with, and I think we've already beat the dead horse of Mojang's lackluster design direction sufficiently. Jeb and co. aren't game designers, and to my knowledge, don't play their own game, so they don't see these things.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah... I think it's going to be troublesome being presented with a supposedly sentient/intelligent/malevolent entity that is likely going to act more or less like the zombies and skeletons do now. They could have added the same mechanic with some kind of monstrous flying abomination that spits poisons that have the same effect as negative potion.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah... I think it's going to be troublesome being presented with a supposedly sentient/intelligent/malevolent entity that is likely going to act more or less like the zombies and skeletons do now. They could have added the same mechanic with some kind of monstrous flying abomination that spits poisons that have the same effect as negative potion.
Yeah, that's a good point. Undead acting stupid is far more believable than mobs that look like they should be more intelligent.

Like the other newer features, it's just random "guess we have to include new features" stuff man. I'm beginning to feel that a lot of the new content is beginning to resemble that from a mediocre mod, more than what you would expect from a commercial game these days.

But...new sounds! Woot! :)
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

So apparently the bat will spawn in dark environments and do so on the ceiling. This sounds like it has the potential to reduce our mob trap yields yes ?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:So apparently the bat will spawn in dark environments and do so on the ceiling. This sounds like it has the potential to reduce our mob trap yields yes ?
Sigh...that's another good point. Not sure if they'll share the aggro mob-cap, but if mobs have problems pathing around bats within a trap, then yes, it could cause problems.

Hehe...my more paranoid side wonders if it might have been another intentional mob-trap nerf on Mojang's part, but I doubt they're thinking that deeply about it.

Anyways, if it's an issue, I'll "fix" it.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Actually i didn't think about pathing, i was thinking of more or less the bats staying stationary and on the ceiling. Without any sort of stimulus ( presumably from the player) they would just stay there and not fall through the vines/ivy. This might result in conditions where bats would be adversely selected while all the zombies/skeles/creepers would periodically removed from memory.

Not sure how bat's work though or if there is a cap on how they spawn but their ability to fly and ignore the ivy floors is something that concerns me.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Upside down slab ceilings? Unlikely that they'll be able to hang from them, and it'll still be too low for endermen to spawn.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DxPanxD wrote:Upside down slab ceilings? Unlikely that they'll be able to hang from them, and it'll still be too low for endermen to spawn.
That would require a massive redesign of many mob traps though man.

Anyways, we'll see more about their properties in the days and weeks to come. 1.4 is still over a month off, so it's plenty of time for me to make plans about how to adjust their behavior, if necessary, to prevent them doing too much damage to mob traps.

Until then, I shall contemplate the many potential uses of guano ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

A treatment similar to slimes sounds reasonable for bats if they spawn in mobtraps.

But if they share mobcaps.. Well you just have to light up the caves. Sounds simple.

My issue is, if they share aggro mobcap it feels like an indirect stab at grinders, if they do not, this will affect performance probably. Ah, I guess we shall see.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

FlowerChild wrote:
Until then, I shall contemplate the many potential uses of guano ;)

How many flavors of feces can you come up with ! we got dog sht, bat shit and and entire floating island of dragon sht. BTW is becoming the ultimate coprophiliac's dream.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, that didn't take long! Sweet!
The high concentration of nitrates also made guano an important strategic commodity. The discovery during the 1840s of the use of guano as a fertilizer and its Chile saltpetre content as a key ingredient in explosives made the area strategically valuable.
Didn't I say something about a potential source of salt peter awhile ago? Woot! Bats rule!!!! :)