Hmm. Soulforged Steel.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
tom_savage

Hmm. Soulforged Steel.

Post by tom_savage »

So, I've played BTW for a long time, but never really got to the end game automation phase until this server. I have a lot of everything at this point, including SFS. But I'm finding that it's pointless to make it. I used it for an anvil, and that's it really. Refined tools aren't really worth it because enchanting them is hard as hell. Instead I find myself building diamond pickaxes and enchanting them super easy. And on top of that, plate mail eats so much hunger that it's totally impossible to wear it all the time. Am I doing something wrong? Missing something I should use it on? Or would I be right in saying that currently how easy it is to gain experience and enchants is unbalancing the usefulness of soul-forged steel?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hmm. Soulforged Steel.

Post by FlowerChild »

Nope. SFS is intentionally balanced to have pros and cons and not just be universally "better" than everything else.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Full Plate Armor is great for exploring Groth-infested areas. You can walk on Groth okay with just the boots, but the full set protects you from Groth poison spores being exploded by Ghast fire.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's also worth mentioning that in addition to being ultimate battle armor (which is particularly important for PvP) there are future planned uses for it higher up in the tech tree. There are circumstances coming where you will really not want to be without a full set of it.

Remember that BTW doesn't really have an "end game". Only the point to which I've currently developed it.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Another thing to note is that you can melt down and recycle refined tools. You can't recycle diamond. That, plus the durability, are what make SFS tools far and away the better choice.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thorium-232 wrote:Another thing to note is that you can melt down and recycle refined tools. You can't recycle diamond. That, plus the durability, are what make SFS tools far and away the better choice.
Yeah, I personally use unenchanted SFS tools most of the time for that reason.
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Also, you can't make a diamond mattock. I find the free inventory/hotbar space very useful
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

FlowerChild wrote:
Thorium-232 wrote:Another thing to note is that you can melt down and recycle refined tools. You can't recycle diamond. That, plus the durability, are what make SFS tools far and away the better choice.
Yeah, I personally use unenchanted SFS tools most of the time for that reason.
I understand that you can recycle them, and I did that for a while. Then I enchanted a diamond pickaxe with 30 levels and got Unbreaking IV, Efficiency III, and Fortune III. I have a mob grinder that can get me 30 levels no problem, and mining constantly will get me to 30 as well. The diamond pickaxe lasted forever, fortune was amazing, and I believe with efficiency it's faster than a mattock (I could be wrong about that, but it felt a lot faster. I got a stack and half of diamonds and nothing to use them on except a lens here and there.

One of my problems is probably not having a constant supply of leather, making it annoying as hell to make hafts--gotta fix up my breeding machine XD.

It seems from what you guys said that SFS is a lot more useful when BTW is being played on an anarchy server, (as intended!). I'm on a friendly server playing with some buddies, so we don't really use nethergroth. I guess then, I'm more wondering if anyone playing on a friendly server is feeling the same way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tom_savage wrote:It seems from what you guys said that SFS is a lot more useful when BTW is being played on an anarchy server, (as intended!). I'm on a friendly server playing with some buddies, so we don't really use nethergroth. I guess then, I'm more wondering if anyone playing on a friendly server is feeling the same way.
Nether Groth is actually intended for use in constructing nether-based mob-traps. Not for PvP really.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well them making enchanting so ridiculously easy now was kinda a nerf to SFS tools. People would probably feel differently if there were no vanilla enchanter...
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

I personally prefer clearing out a large area or leveling a hill with a mattock vs a diamond shovel and pick axe. It lasts a long time and I do not have to keep switching.

Also, I prefer saving diamonds for high end blocks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Well them making enchanting so ridiculously easy now was kinda a nerf to SFS tools. People would probably feel differently if there were no vanilla enchanter...
Yeah, I may rebalance infernal enchanting in awhile once I have a chance to play around with the new vanilla enchanting balance a bit more. Obviously I could just reduce the enchanting costs to base-30 instead of base-50 for a quick fix, but I'd rather give it more time to see what impact it has on gameplay in the long run.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well personally I think the vanilla enchanting system just makes the game to easy especially after what they did to it recently. I was thinking I might just remove it.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Sarudak wrote:Well personally I think the vanilla enchanting system just makes the game to easy especially after what they did to it recently. I was thinking I might just remove it.
Unless FC beats you to the punch this time. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I agree that the recent changes were a step in the wrong direction to be sure, but I don't think I'll go so far as to remove it myself.

So knock yourself out man ;)
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

I like hoarding diamonds until 1.4 and then using them to create a beacon pyramid.
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Psion

Post by Psion »

I rarely ever use the mattock or battle axe unless im low on diamonds, simply because im too impatient and addicted to efficiency. XD

I suspect that once FC adds said arcane scroll though, i'll drop everything and make a farm for it, and stick to mattocks.

same goes for soulforged steel armor and featherfall/respiration, because i have an uncanny knack of dying to fall damage.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I tend to keep both diamond and steel tools with me most of the time. A mattock is good for general excavation of stone or dirt, and I like to keep silk touch or fortune with me if I have them. On the anarchy server I'm on, I also keep my sharpness IV diamond sword with me, since it's a little more dangerous than my battle axe.

As for armor, I mainly use iron when I'm just around my base or what not, which is nice since it's fully recyclable unlike diamond, doesn't impede you like SFS, but still gives you decent protection against general hazards, and can be enchanted with useful things like feather fall.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

tom_savage wrote: One of my problems is probably not having a constant supply of leather, making it annoying as hell to make hafts--gotta fix up my breeding machine XD.
If you had a cow farm that would solve your leather problem, solve your glue problem, and solve your hunger problem (I always carry around a couple stacks of steaks).
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Sarudak wrote:Well them making enchanting so ridiculously easy now was kinda a nerf to SFS tools. People would probably feel differently if there were no vanilla enchanter...

Well personally I think the vanilla enchanting system just makes the game to easy especially after what they did to it recently. I was thinking I might just remove it.
This is more what I was getting at earlier. The easy enchanting makes (at least in our server) SFS tools almost obsolete.
Mason11987 wrote:If you had a cow farm that would solve your leather problem, solve your glue problem, and solve your hunger problem (I always carry around a couple stacks of steaks).
Yeah, I think I just need to go back to a giant hand-fed fence square of doom. My attempt to automate it got halfway and now isn't providing anything.
Last edited by tom_savage on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The other thing that made SFS less desirable was the change to glue. Previously glue was plentiful. Now anything that requires glue basically means it costs a piece of leather which means that basically all SFS tools cost almost 3 1/2 leather.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Sarudak wrote:The other thing that made SFS less desirable was the change to glue. Previously glue was plentiful. Now anything that requires glue basically means it costs a piece of leather which means that basically all SFS tools cost almost 3 1/2 leather.
I'm not sure what it's like on large anarchy servers, but I know on our little server, slime is plentiful. Although earlier I did have to use leather for glue, and I cringed everytime. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, I enjoyed that it was tough to get everything I needed. It also gave me direction in what I needed to be working on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's a moot point anyways guys. Like I said, more uses of SFS armor to come, and for now, it's something to be feared in PvP.

Historically, plate armor was incredibly expensive and made you nigh invulnerable on the battle field. At present, I'm happy with the cost and trade-offs involved as an abstract representation of that.
simanick

Post by simanick »

I find is vary amusing that others find SFS underpowered, as they are all i ever use now days. never really been one for armor, think the first and last time i used armor was when there was still wool armor, and well i find it to be cheating, and also annoying to keep track of how much uses it has left. as to tools i dont use anything that's not renewable so before iron golem farms i was running around with a diamond pick and using my stone ones only. i think i may be a bit broken but i love things as they are, at least with tools.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Sarudak wrote:Well personally I think the vanilla enchanting system just makes the game to easy especially after what they did to it recently. I was thinking I might just remove it.
Hmmm...I don't know.

While I agree that the vMC enchanting system leaves much to be desired in its implementation, I'd rather see a tiered enchanting system leading up from the vanilla enchanting table to the infernal enchanter than the complete removal of the vanilla enchantment table.

But that's just my opinion.