First stab at a chicken farm!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Indras

First stab at a chicken farm!

Post by Indras »

Picture:
Spoiler
Show
This was a lot of fun to build! It ended up way more complicated than I had originally pictured in my head. I wanted a hopper where I dumped all my seeds into, and it would circulate them back and forth across where the chickens were kept. I wasn't sure if chickens always produced 1 egg for every seed, so I didn't want to use a detector block to count eggs and dispense seeds for each. If one of the chickens decided not to lay an egg, the whole thing would come to a halt and I would have to manually feed them all.

This was my first use of platforms as an item elevator. You can't see it in the background, but there's an RS nor latch behind it, which is set when the platform comes up, and reset at the bottom. It also runs the double sticky piston to push items off the platform. The two hoppers on the left: the left one has no filter, the right has slats, to keep the eggs from being recirculated in the system. I use a stone siding upside down above the left hopper to keep the chickens from resting there, and being out of reach of the seeds.

So, anyone care to share their version or give me some tips on how to simplify this monstrosity? I already see that the little two-block water flow on the top is unnecessary since I can just bring the elevator one block closer and let the double sticky piston do that job alone.

Edit: forgot to give credit!
Super simple double sticky piston wiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLVa-oCKfQ
Item elevator (mine uses a RS nor latch instead of a timer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGSemUSh18
Biohazard91X

Re: First stab at a chicken farm!

Post by Biohazard91X »

I feel like we're missing a rather large part of this out of camera :P Do you have any screens of the mechanics and redstone?
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Biohazard91X wrote:I feel like we're missing a rather large part of this out of camera :P Do you have any screens of the mechanics and redstone?
I don't think so actually. As far as I can tell, this farm does not turn eggs into chickens, just produces eggs, which end up in the second (left) hopper. This looks like a basic egg producing component that could be connected to an egg tosser and chicken grinder.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

Yeahh I get that much, mainly I want to see if he's got a more efficient design for the item elevator than I have, cause mine is quite large so far!
Indras

Post by Indras »

Yes, it is just a chicken feeder and egg collector. I can post a picture of the back side of it later, I am on my phone right now. The redstone is a bit overly complicated at the moment. The whole idea isn't really HCB compatible, I don't have room to fit pumps into it, so I may level it and start with a different concept.

Edit: added picture, back side of the picture in the OP
Spoiler
Show
The yellow square is the RS Nor latch, with the S and R inputs labeled. Though you can't see it, there's a redstone torch down in the hole by the R input. When the platform comes down, it completes the circuit and resets the latch, turning the torch off (blue output) which then turns the pulley back on and lifts the platform back up. Likewise, at the top, it completes the S circuit from the redstone torch there, and also actuates the double sticky piston logic, in orange. This also shuts off the blue output, turning the gearbox feeding the pulley back off, lowering the platform, cycling indefinitely.