The Horizon Anthology

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

What is the biggest problem with the Horizon Anthology?

Is it that some things are unexplained?
33%
Is it that it's got little to no detail in some parts?
17%
Is it that the characters are unlikable?
No votes
Is it that the story is bad?
17%
Is it that the exposition is heavy handed?
No votes
Is it that it's so good you feel insecure about your own writing ability?
33%

Total votes: 6
Horizon

The Horizon Anthology

Post by Horizon »

Well, since it went over so well at the irc, I decided to post the first 4 parts of the Horizon Anthology here.
Part 1
Spoiler
Show
Prologue
A year ago, a group led by a man named David, built a boat and intended to sail to Europe with it. They brought a lot of tools and such with them. They eventually crashed on an uninhabited island. There they thrived, and built a society of their own. They named the island "Horizon". This is their story, after the one year mark.
This entire book is from David's perspective.
Chapter 1: The End of Normality
We've mapped out the island within a week's walk of our little camp. We were gearing up for a massive expidition to map out the entire island, seeing as how we can go from one end for a week without running into a beach. All of the scouts were going to be on this, and to carry all of the provisions and equipment, Noah, Tommy, Batu and I were working together to build a bunch of wagons. Now, you may be thinking, "Why are you using wagons when you don't have beasts of burden?" Well, it's because we are fairly strong, and can pull wagons by ourselves. Each of us supplies ~0.5 horsepower, so 4 to a wagon will be plenty. and we have 20 scouts. Back to the wagon building. As Batu and Tommy were finishing up a wagon, Noah and I realized we would need to build a loading dock so that we could load up the supplies easily. We walked over to the workshop where they would build crates and fill them with supplies, and drove a series of support struts into the ground, nailed them all together at the joints, then laid down a bunch of boards on top, and nailed those down. Then, we started helping in the crate making process.
The next day, when Batu and Tommy finished the fourth and final wagon, we started loading the crates up with our version of MREs. Our version of an MRE consists of chicken jerky( We found chickens on the island. We don't know how they got here), a potato, and a can of wine. Why a can of wine? Because A) it's good as a disinfectant, and B) we're gonna be gone for a while, and we need precious booze to save our sanity. Anyways, each crate is a 3' cube, and can hold up to 972 MREs, and each wagon can hold 12 crates. and we have 3 wagons carrying food, the last one carrying a mobile workshop. We will not be hurting for food.
The day after, all the scouts met up at the loading docks, set up the communications, and set off. The wagons were moving as fast as you can walk, the ones not pulling wagons were being real scouts and looking ahead, and I was checking the map, making certain we didn't lose our path. The minutes turned to hours, and, as we reached the end of the day, we stopped and set up camp. After we got a fire going, we broke into the first crate, and enjoyed a bit of jerky-stuffed potato dipped in wine. Well, I did, and everyone else just ate the jerky and potato seperately. After everyone but the sentries got a nice buzz, they fell asleep in their bedrolls. I checked in on Command and asked how they were doing so far. They were fine, they asked me the same, I said we were all fine. The hours became days...
Chapter 2: Beginner's Guide
17 days or so into the expidition, we were starting to get bored. We had busted into the card games I had made and realized that with most of us pulling carts for 14 hours, we couldn't play card games. As such, we used them as tinder for the fire. Anyways, on the 17th day, I came across a book and a bunch of mason jars filled with odd things. Written on the book's cover was "The Beginner's Guide To Magic". I opened it, and began reading.
"This is the beginner's guide to magic. No previous experience required, but it is recommended to know something about chemistry if you choose to take up alchemy." Huh. Alchemy. "There are two kinds of magic, and both of them require a bit of attention to be worthwhile. The first and most common is Alchemy, also known as Transmutation, which is the art of taking an object and reshaping it. However, you cannot create or destroy mass in this process, and any attempt to do so will simply fail, as it should. Alchemy relies on the user's knowledge to figure out what it should do, which is why, even with the same equipment, a skilled alchemist will be able to make more intricate stuff than a novice. The other one is Psionics, which have to do with the mind. Psions can go into the psychoplanes, which are inside people's minds. For example, a psion might project himself into your mind, said psion would be considered to be in the psychoplanes. Each one is quite complicated, and anything other than dabbling in multiple fields would be quite difficult." I shut the book, not wanting to read any further, as everyone was wondering what I was doing.
"I found a book and some mason jars! We should make camp now, so I can figure this out.", I yelled to the others.
"Okay, then.", I heard Frank yell.
After we set up camp, I opened up the book again, and started reading the section on beginning the path of magic. Apparently, you need to concoct an elixir from the materials in the jars. It also includes instructions for creating said materials, in case you got the book secondhand. I looked at what formula would do what, and decided to pick the one that would give me an even footing in both disciplines. There would be plenty of leftover materials to make elixir for the others and still perform lots of spells. I showed the book to Noah, and he decided upon taking up Alchemy exclusively.
"Why alchemy, rather than psionics?", I asked.
"Because alchemy is more practical.", Noah replied.
"Well, to each his own."
Chapter 3: Magic and other guff
I looked at the first excercise to perform for what path, and I wanted to do alchemy first, and Noah was only doing alchemy, so we did the same thing. What we first had to do is draw a circle on the ground in chalk, put a bit of some relatively pure element in the middle, and try to imagine it as being a different material. We had a fair amount of refined iron, so we used that. The book included an explanation on what was going on in the transmutation, so we would be better able to pull it off. We both sat down at opposite ends of the circle, put our hands near the edges, and envisioned the agreed upon material: gold.
We opened our eyes, and saw a bar of gold where there was once a bar of iron.
"Holy shit."
Frank had already grabbed another bar of iron our of storage, before I told him not to bother. We had no use for gold yet, so I immediately turned the gold back into iron. I immediately thought of another test, and grabbed a relatively straight stick, put it in the circle, and concentrated on rearranging the carbon into nanotubes. I gave it to Ronny, the strongest of us, but even he couldn't snap it. Excellent, I thought, This will serve me well. I looked in the book for the next lesson, and found that I had completed it without knowing it. I then helped Noah through it. I checked, and the next lesson was compounds of various sorts. We tried salt, then sugar, and then any random compound we thought wouldn't go boom. We were wrong a few times. But we lived. We eventually put a potato into the circle, to learn how to make one, and tried turning a rock into a potato. It ended up working. Eventually, Noah was burned out on alchemy for a while, so we decided to take a break.
I looked through the book for suggested projects, and found that an alchemical dynamo was actually fairly easy to do. So, I carefully transmuted the parts, put in the prerequisite reagents, and screwed everything into place. Once it was finished, it started to spin very fast. I picked it up by the base, and screwed it on to the underside of the wagon. Fortunately, I had the forethought of putting a gear on the dynamo's axle. I set up a systen of gears and such, so that the speed could be changed. I put the axle of the front onto another axle, so that I could steer the damn thing.
Chapter 4: Psionics 101
The next day, with all of the wagons linked end to end so that we only needed one motor, we started moving again. We had transmuted two more wagons, for me and Noah to use for research purposes. He'd be continuing his research into alchemy, whilst I would be movng on to psionics. I thumbed through to the psionics part of the book, and found that beginning psionics was easy enough, it was simply time consuming and boring. Mental exercises and such. Eventually, I reached the point where I could go into the psychoplanes. I had already been into my own mind, and had done nothing interesting there.
"Hey, Noah! Do you mind if I visit you on the psychoplanes? No pun intended.", I said across the edge of my wagon.
"Sure, I was taking a break anyways.", he replied.
I cast the necessary spell, and found myself in the outer rim of his mind. I waited for him to send a greeter to me, then realized he wasn't a psion, and went down to his core. When I reached his core, I spoke.
"Hello, Noah. It's me, David. I've come to the core of your mind to speak to you directly.", I said(?) to Noah.
"David? It's odd to see you here. This is my inner sanctum. I do not recall summoning you here.", Noah replied.
"Well, I am a psion, while you are not. I am visiting your mind. If you were a psion, you'd be able to alter your mindscape to fit your conscious choices."
"I am not a psion, I am an alchemist. If you want a competently put together mindscape to chat with me in, then let's go to yours."
"But you would need to be a psion to do that. It took me 8 hours to get to the point of being able to visit my own mindscape, and another day to visit yours. and you are at a terrible disadvantage with regards to psionics. You are, however, shaping up to be our resident alchemical master."
"Oh. Well, I'm not too terribly distraught, seeing as only alchemy interests me."
"Oh, and by the way, we need to figure out a better heirarchy than 'David's in charge, but feel free to do what you want within reason.'"
"How about 'David's ultimately in charge, but if it's not something big, than one of the lieutenants', where a lieutenant would be anyone you appoint to said position."
"Yeah, but each department has it's own lieutenant, so you could be the lieutenant of alchemy, and once we get a dedicated psion, they can be lieutenant of that department."
"Can we end this soon? It's getting a bit odd..."
"Fine. But I will get you to learn basic psionics by the end of the decade."
I then left his mindscape, and retreated to mine. I don't think I'll ever go into his mind ever again, at least, not until he's at least a psion.
I then walked over to play catch-up with alchemy.
Chapter 5: Intermediate Alchemy
As it turned out, I had missed a lot of really cool alchemy while I was dicking about with psionics. I had brushed briefly on automation, but Noah had delved into it full speed ahead. He had become very precise with alchemy, but I was catching up.
"Why is it that you're faster to learn alchemy than I am, when I'm the one whose elixir favored alchemy to the extreme?", Noah asked at one point.
"Not a single clue.", I replied.
Eventually, I got to where he was, which was alchemical automatons. He had shown me the diagram for the alchemical brain, and the alchemical controller. We had decided to make ourselves a few guardian robots, in various types. I had decided on a large steel dog, and an aluminum bird. I began work at once on the delicate and comlex procedure of creating an alchemical brain, and the decidedly less delicate procedure of creating a steel german shepherd with proper alchemical nerves, muscles, and sensors. All the nerves and such were connected to muscles and sensors, and all led to the "brainstem" of sorts. There, the brain and the body would merge, creating a semblance of life. I installed the control chip into it's brain, so that the poor thing wouldn't spaz out uncontrollably, despite how funny it would have been. I turned it on, and watched its eyes start glowing.
"It's working! I think I'll name him Elvis, after my dog when I was a child.", I said as Elvis tenatively took his first few steps.
Right around that time, Noah's ocelot came online, and took its first steps as well.
"Well, if we're naming these after childhood pets, I'm naming mine Viper.", Noah said.
"Didn't I throw Viper into a pool?"
"...You stay away from my cat."
"Meh. Well, I'm gonna try to make alchemical power tools."
"You realize we'll run out of raw materials eventually, right?"
"Why do you think I want resource gathering tools?"
"Huh. Well, let me show you a little contraption here. I call it the Collector."
I saw the machine he called the collector, and I reasoned out that it was called that because an alchemical dynamo generated perpetual energy, and said energy was transmuted, through means Noah would explain in lengthy detail later, into matter. And it was actually kind of fast at generating matter. 4 grams per minute. Noah then explained it enough for me to understand it and replicate it. The only new thing was the converter. I tried to make my own version of it, except smaller and in the shape of a chestplate, so that I could wear it. The output was split between 4 tubes, which I would route to my extremity mounted alchemical gizmos.
The days became weeks...
Feel free to post more detailed critiques if you wish.
Last edited by Horizon on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Horizon

Re: The Horizon Anthology

Post by Horizon »

Part 2
Spoiler
Show
Chapter 6: Finally Home
After 3 months away from home, we were finally back at camp. This island is big. About the size of Scotland. And so far, we've only explored the coast. There are some whom I will never share the secrets of magic with. Tyler is a sociopath, and if given magic, he would turn the next person who looked at him funny into antimatter, leaving a smoking crater where there used to be wherever we are. Prakthimish hates me with a burning passion, and would turn my brain into antimatter if given magic. Michael, on the other hand, is our doctor, and if given Alchemy, he could patch up wounds quite easily. He gets magic. And Sam is our resident psychiatrist, and given Psionics, he could resolve mental disorders more easily. He also gets magic. And Santiago is our resident chef, and with Alchemy, we would no longer need the farms, and she could turn dirt into food. She gets magic.
I set up a building where people could teach classes. Magic lessons wouldn't be the only thing taught there, Noah might give fencing lessons in there, or Santiago could give cooking lessons, or something or other.
Once the building was up, I gave Sam psionics lessons, and gave him his homework to improve and refine his skill. We actually met on the psychoplanes, and continued our lessons there. Meanwhile, in another classroom, Noah was teaching Michael and Santiago alchemy. He taught them what he knew, and they figured out on their own what he didn't know.
That night, I made an announcement.
"Everyone, during the expidition, I discovered a book. Said book led me to gain magic. Magic is real, and anyone can learn to do it. However, there are some whom I do not trust. As such, knowledge of how to perform magic is heavily restricted. I think this is better than me exiling the untrustworthy people so that everyone can become a mage. Actually, let's put it to a vote. All in favor of exiling the untrustworthy to facilitate magic being taught to all, say aye. All opposed, say nay."
There was a chorus of "Aye"s, and very few nays.
"Well, that settles it. Greg, you'll need to make a hammer, an axe, and a saw, and cast 5 racks of nails by morning. Sorry, man, but them's the brakes. Tyler, Prakthimish, and Riley, pack your shit before morning. You've been exiled. Don't bother objecting. Try to enter our territory after you leave and you'll be subject to incarceration for a month. Come back again after that and it'll be a year. Come back after that and we'll kill you. Go."
Everyone gaped at me. They knew there would be punishment for breaking exile. But they didn't know it would be that harsh. I didn't have a precedent for doing this sort of thing. I was usually much less harsh when doling out punishments. But that was for minor stuff, like that time Tyler picked a fight at the bar. Or the time Prakthimish tried to booby trap my house. Or when Riley tried to steal my sword. A week in the makeshift dungeons for Tyler, because he was drunk. 2 months in the dungeons for Prakthimish, because he tried to injure me. A month for Riley, for attempted theft of a weapon, which only guards and scouts were allowed to have.
In the morning, with everyone there, I gave Tyler, Prakthimish, and Riley their packs with enough tools to survive in the wild, and gave a short little speech.
"You three are being exiled because of your crimes against the community. Tyler, you injured a guard enough to put him out of commission for a few days. Prakthimish, if it weren't for the fact that you were caught in the act, I would have been out of commission for a week, and the camp would've been without a leader during the Bear Crisis. Riley, you tried to steal a lethal weapon, which only guards and scouts are permitted to own. You have a hammer, a saw, an axe, and a lot of nails between you, so you'd best stick together if you want to survive for longer than a week. Now get out before I incarcerate you for breaking exile."
They left, and I felt as though that, if this were a book series, a spinoff would start at that point. Nah, that's a stupid idea.
Chapter 7: Spirit of Exploration
I had wanted to further explore the island, but didn't want to use up any manpower to scout it by hand. So, with Noah and I working in concert, we built a series of probes that would map out the island for us, and another series to actually examine the land. We suspected that there was more to this island than coast and forest. Probably some jungle, maybe a bit of plains here and there, maybe even a swamp. But, that would take months, even years, to do that by hand. It would also be mind-numbingly tedious. Hence the probes. They never stop, they need no fuel, and they are harder to kill than scouts are, if there are dangers on this island that we should know about. There were a lot of probes, and Noah and I were the only ones who were good enough at alchemy to make the probes. As it turned out, Noah and I were prodigal wizards. There were 3 other prodigies, but we had a 3 month head start. As such, they are making the metal shells, leaving Noah and I to the delicate inner workings. He was particularly good with sensors and such, and I was better at the computational things. The computer here wouldn't be my best, but that was because it didn't need my best. It just needed some basic timing and pathfinding. I had also rigged it up so that, if it ever got damaged, we could press a button at command, causing it to explode quite violently. Of course, as a result, anyone who knew the proper frequency could make them explode, or jam it so that it couldn't explode. But it still should have a self-destruct button, in case it gets caught by something we don't want to have to fight ourselves. Each probe would be linked wirelessly to a giant computer, which would piece the video feed together into a semi-coherent map. It would also display the map on a large screen that I would look at, make certain that the computer didn't balls anything up too badly. I had realized, halfway through building the second probe, that this was an island. It would take, at most, a few days to map out the whole thing with an airplane. Two of them, working in concert, would take a day. We knew that we could easily return home at any time we wanted, but we were living comfortably, and the island had a sentimental value to it. Also, we don't know if we'd be able to find it again. Well, if we even gave it the slightest of efforts, we could find it and return. We would also have to get a lot of mass accumulated, because airplanes are heavy as fuck, even without the fuel, and even with only a 30-person capacity. So here we stay, until we have a better idea. Also, I want to stay here because I've always wanted to rule a country, and in the book, there was a mention of immortality via a combination of alchemy and psionics. Alchemy to create a suitable vessel for your mind, and psionics to move your mind into said vessel. But I have no clue how to do that, as I'd looked through the book, and found no project guide. I suppose that there may be an Intermediate and/or Expert's Guide to Magic/Alchemy. If there is, I haven't found it. We'll look eventually. The Beginner's Guide said something about the next books in it's series being inked with one of the substances that came with the first book, so Noah and I devised a sensor to find said substance. It was a bitch to figure out, especially since it wasn't in the book. We checked beforehand, it would've been stupid if we hadn't. As such, each probe was given a few beacons to launch when it had detected said substance. As to be expected, it launched a beacon where we found the first book, and as to be unexpected, it launched another one very nearby. And 3 more, in a sort of line, stretching out over 4 miles. Noah and I had actually prepared a helicopter, earlier, in case there was something we had to go look at immediately. I called in Sam to handle the computer, grabbed a few scouts who were on stand-by, got into the helicopter, and took off.
After a few hours, we reached the first beacon. The scouts and I rappelled down from the helicopter, looked around, and found a bit of glowing powder where I had spilled. We climbe back up the rope ladder, and moved on to the next one.
When we got there, I found a book entitled Intermediate Guide to Psionics. I looked through it, made certain that it was what we were looking for, and got back into the helicopter.
We went to each beacon, and found a book at each one. Intermediate Guide to Alchemy, Expert's Guide to Psionics, and Expert's Guide to Alchemy. We were headed back home, when I recieved a message from Sam.
"David, it's me, Sam. We discovered a large mountain. It's agreed that you might want to check on it, while you're out there. Sam out."
"Roger that, Sam. You got coordinates?"
He gave me the coordinates, I thanked him, said I'd take a look, and ended the call. Psionics is a wonderful magic. We set course towards the mountain, and quickly saw it. Frank wondered aloud how we had missed it.
After a half hour, we were there. The scouts and I got out, and poked around a little bit at the base of the mountain. We got back into the helicopter, and flew back home. That night, I stayed up looking through the Expert's Guides, to find the Immortality Project. I found it, and realized how hard it would be to do. I then tried to get some sleep. God knows I've earned it.
Chapter 8: Visitors
"David! We've got an aircraft on the radar, it's not one of ours!", Sam shouted to me from across the Command Center. "Awaiting orders!", he added.
"Hail the craft, see if we can talk to them."
"This is Ryan Lynch. Who are you?", the pilot of the aircraft said.
"I am David, ruler of Horizon Island, a sovreign state. State your business.", I replied.
"Yeah, and I'm the king of France. C'mon, be serious."
"I am. I am David, ruler of Horizon Island. Feel free to land near our capital, which is on the coast."
"And where, pray tell, is this coast?"
"It's on an island roughly the size of Scotland. You can't miss it. We'll light up the signals. Over and out."
"Do we have signals?", Noah asked.
"No, but go ahead and make some. Nothing fancy, just some basic electric spotlights. Put them near the farm.", I ordered.
"I might run into the exiles."
"No, they're out in the woods somewhere, probably. But, to be safe, bring a few guards with you."
"'Kay. Bye."
Well, we're finally getting visitors. I suppose I should make a flag. Meh, I'll just send the design and instructions to Noah, have him do it. I'm starting to get a little lazy, it seems. Well, then again, I'm only being lazy relative to my role for the past few months. I've been Chief Scout, Head Wizard, and only now am I starting to delegate major tasks to others. In the meantime, I have to put up a customs office or something, in case we get a steady stream of visitors. Or, I could delegate said task to one of the Alchemical Prodigies. I decided to do that instead. I would need someone to run the customs office, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. After our guest had landed his plane, he was directed to the Command Center. When he walked in, I turned my chair to face him.
"Greetings. Might I ask what you're doing in our little slice of the Atlantic?"
"I was flying to Europe, on little more than a whim."
"Right, well, feel free to give the coordinates of the island to whomsoever you please when you get there, but you're not obligated to do so. We could very easily leave, if we wanted, but we like it here. And, by the way, would you like a refill on gas? We have no shortage of it. If you would like, we could also make modifications to your plane so that it needs no fuel."
"You can do that? I'd like a demonstration before you do anything to my plane, though."
"That's entirely understandable. Greg, if you would bring out a spare dynamo. You see, it spins eternally. This particular model is designed to work, no matter what the orientation."
"Why is it spinning very fast for no discernable reason?"
"It's a long story, and all you need to know is that it's reliable. It won't falter, it won't break down, and it won't use any fuel."
"Well, I'm not entirely certain. I will, however, take you up on the gas offer."
"Very well, then. Tommy! Fetch a tank of gasoline!"
After his plane was refueled, he took off, headed for Europe. What should I name this new nation? The Republic of Horizon? No, I plan on ruling by myself, a benevolent dictatorship. Maybe I could just name it Horizon. That'll do.
Chapter 9: Supernatural, Paranormal, Any Way You Slice It, Things Are Not As They Should Be.
I had sent a few of the scouts to the mountain, and created a small probe which I would psionically control and see through. That way I can see what's going on without having to be there. Good thing I wasn't there, otherwise I'd've been killed along with the scouts.
What had happened was thus; Goddamn Werewolves. It had been nighttime, and a full moon, when Awfulcopter saw a werewolf, said werewolf saw Awfulcopter, a few seconds later Awfulcopter was dead, along with his brothers Kingfisher and Joe. It is at that point that Noah fled, but not before firing a few missiles. My probe was destroyed, giving me a horrible headache.
Me and the Alchemical Prodigies started mass producing alchemical weapons. I designed an arrowhead that, rather than penetrating the skin, explodes in a horribly powerful way. Tommy had designed an alchemical bullet, that, upon impact, would create a massive fireball. Batu thought of a blade that would turn the medium it cuts through to sand. I then combined all of these into one round, which was called The Overkill. We then manufactured a couple of automatic rifles that would accept said ammunition. Why they would need to be automatic was apparent, when you remembered that the point of the damn things is overkill. The ammo is called Overkill, the guns are known as Overkill Guns, hell, the whole "revenge on the werewolves" thing was officially called "Operation: Knee-Jerk". Which I didn't think was a knee-jerk reaction, seeing as how they killed Awfulcopter, Kingfisher and Joe. Those were their nicknames, by the way. I haven't a clue what their real names were. I never bothered to learn them.
I had rigged up my Alchemical Armor from way back during the expidition to create Overkill rounds and pure alcohol. I made gauntlets that would fire Overkill rounds when I pulled the trigger, and had a pressure plate across the knuckles, wired up to a mister and spark plug, that would spray a mist of alcohol and then ignite it. It would probably be enough to put someone out of commission long enough to get far enough away to safely use an overkill round. Maybe even enough to kill someone outright, if I was lucky and they were not. It is at this point that I would like to reiterate that Alchemy is incredibly useful for overkill-type situations. Want someone dead? Really dead? Then don a pair of what I call Sand Gloves, the outside surface of the palms and fingers of which turn flesh into sand, and tap them on the shoulder, and watch them bleed out while having the pain of sand in their wound. Or you could bitchslap them, which is more satisfying, as it removes a fair chunk of the head. Or use an Overkill round, which will turn you into sand while setting you on fire, turning you into glass, and then exploding you to create a ton of shrapnel consisting of multi-faceted razor blades. It's a real room-clearer, that's for certain.
When I had finished the gauntlets, I gave a pair to Noah, since he would need some protection, but a full on rifle would be too unwieldy. Fortunately, he'd already made a set of Alchemical Armor.
That night, I made an announcement.
"Friends, countrymen, lend me your ears. 2 days ago, we lost Awfulcopter, Kingfisher, and Rawny to werewolves. As a result, I am leading the first mobilization of the Horizonite Military. For every one of ours they have killed, we shall kill 10 of theirs! They are feral beasts, and what we do with feral beasts is put them down! Tomorrow, we will leave at dawn to fight the Werewolves. Do not expect us to lose anyone, for we have created a bullet of refined Overkill. It explodes, creates a giant fireball, and turns the target into sand. Not in that order. Wish me luck."
The next morning, as everyone donned their armor, I distributed rifles and ammunition. Every soldier got 96 rounds of Overkill, equivalent to 4 magazines.
"Men, today we will avenge Joe, Awfulcopter, and Kingfisher. Remember: If it is not one of us, kill it."
We rode the helicopters (I had made more) to the mountain, and had parked them in a clearing. We would leave behind a contingency to guard the helicopters. I had let the most heavily armored one of us take point, with a probe scouting ahead. I sent it up to where the werewolves were last, and saw a few men lazing about. That would be them. We raced up to greet our lycanthropic companions, and when we got there, they were displaying the universal sign of surrender.
"Are you werewolves?", I asked.
"We are members of a pack of werewolves, yes. Are you the pack those three belonged to?"
"Indeed we are. I intend to exact a little vengeance."
"Too late. The one who killed them was put to death. You know, in our werewolf forms, we're more like dogs than anything else. He was the only one still behaving like a goddamn wolf."
"Hrm. Can you bring me to your alpha?"
"Certainly, the pack lives in the cave up ahead."
We followed him to his cave, got through the guard easily enough, and walked into the particular alcove where the alpha stayed.
"Remus told me what had happened. I am truly sorry for your loss. If there is anything we must do..."
"No, I simply want to see the corpse of the one who killed 3 of our number."
"Ah, the thing about werewolves is that you have to burn the body to ensure that it stays dead. And we didn't keep the ashes."
"Well then. Care to explain how lycanthropy works?"
"Well, on the night of the full moon, a person infected with lycanthropy will become a cross between human and whatever animal it is their particular brand of lycanthropy came from. They will become a combination of their base nature and the instincts of their animals. We're not actual werewolves, by the way, we're weredogs."
"Hrm. And weredogs are usually peaceful in beast form?"
"Yup. Dogs actually don't have much in the way of instincts, and what they do have is the whole thing about being really playful. We kinda act like puppies, truth be told, but we don't bite. Unless instructed otherwise."
"Well, Operation: Knee-Jerk is a failure. The group we were going to genocide is too likable. Well, are there any other supernatural creatures you can tell me about?"
"Vampires. They're just like regular humans, except that they burn if exposed to ultraviolet radiation, and they drink blood rather than eat food. They also can turn humans into vampires by way of their venom getting into the bloodstream. However, lycanthropes cannot become vampires, due to the fact that our lycanthropy is spread through a venom as well. They actually neutralize each other, so vampirism can cure lycanthropy and vice-versa. It's hard to do though, and if you overshoot it, they'll be infected with the other affliction."
"Well, I wouldn't call lycanthropy an affliction. At least, not your brand of lycanthropy. There might be weredinosaurs, for all I know."
"There are, actually. On this very island."
"Well, that's what the Overkill weapons are for. Goddamn dinosaurs."
"Might I ask what they do?"
"Turn you to sand, set you on fire, and explode. In that order."
"You weren't kidding when you said it was overkill."
"Nope. Effectively turns you into glass and blows you up, creating a fine cloud of multifaceted razor blades to kill off anyone nearby who wasn't incinerated in the fireball."
"So, about that peace treaty..."
"How 'bout this; If we need help, you help. If you need help, we help. And we don't do anything to harm the other. Sound good?"
"Can you throw in a steady supply of food? We're not the best of foragers."
"No problem. You'll just have to start taking dumps over a large pit, which we will then transmute into food."
"Um..."
"Don't worry, it's totally safe. We actually have an intermediate stage, where it's all turned to stone, and then we turn the stone into food. Or, you know what, you can move into our town. I can quickly transmute adequate dwellings for everyone here. Wait, how many people are in your pack?"
"42."
"It'll take a few trips to get you all to our camp."
"Wait, what? Why?"
"Do you know what a helicopter is?"
"No. Should I?"
"Probably not. A helicopter is a machine that flies, and carries people with it. We have room for 40 passengers, and we have 20 of those seats already taken. So, yes to the whole 'Move in with the new nation' thing?"
"Wait, you guys are building an empire? I must warn you, the last empire to rule this archipelago was overthrown, and buried by the earth itself."
"Well then, we won't let that happen, then, will we?"
After working out plans for who would do what, we signed a treaty that would merge the Wolf Pack, as they call themselves, and our little nation of now 72, counting the Wolf Pack.
Chapter 10: Visitors, part 2
A few weeks after the Wolf Pack moved in, serving as the night guard, an airplane landed on the airstrip we had created. Said airplane was piloted by none other then Ryan Lynch, the guy who visited us a few weeks back. He had brought a bunch of people who wanted to see the island.
"Ryan. I see that you're back.", I said.
"Yup. Told my story at the airport, said that you could do impossible stuff, that sort of thing."
"Well, don't cause any trouble. We're armed to the teeth with weapons that'll clear a room with one shot."
"I don't plan on it. The tourists I brought with me might, but they'll keep in line if you show them what your weapons can do."
"Alright then, it seems a demonstration is in order, better magic up a dummy..."
I turned some dirt into a target dummy, and set it up far away from camp. The Intermediate Guide showed me how to do ranged alchemy. I drew my rifle from it's place on my back, and started talking to the tourists, who were pouring out of the airplane.
"This is the 5.57 Overkill Rifle. It can and will kill you if it hits you, or anything near you. Every guard is armed with one ot these suckers. Try anything really stupid, and we may just use these. I'll demonstrate on that dummy over there."
And with that, I fired at the dummy, turning it into a fine mist of multifaceted razor blades.
"Don't steal anything, don't start any fights, and don't touch anything marked with a red symbol. Other than that, enjoy your stay in Horizon. It's a nice place to live, but we haven't much in the way of touristy stuff."
I had marked everything powered alchemically with a red symbol, earlier, so that in case Ryan came back, he would know what he should not mess with. Or, what in particular he shouldn't mess with. One of the tourists approached me and asked what would be done in regards to immigration, probably because he wanted to live here. I said that at this point, there were no restrictions in regards to immigration, but he would need to undergo a psychological evaluation. He seemed satisfied by this, and went to go explore our little nation.
A few days later, Ryan and everybody who didn't want to live here got back into his plane, and flew off back to Europe. The 3 people who wanted to stay were named Sebastian, Gary, and Alyssa. Sebastian was interested in being a scout, and said that while he wasn't a vagrant back in Europe, he did spend almost all of his time outside, and didn't have a job. He did, however, have a hunting liscence, and lived off of animals he killed himself. Gary was Sebastian's roommate, and Alyssa's boyfriend, and did have a job, which was enough to pay the bills, keep Sebby's hunting liscence valid, and maintain their equipment, which wasn't all that much, actually, just a mattock, 2 hatchets, and a few large knives. Alyssa was Sebastian's sister, and shared his enthusiasm for outdoorsmanship, but while Sebastian is more interested in the whole exploration part, she is more into building things from scratch. They seemed to be fine with sharing a house, and while they easily could've had a big house, they just needed enough room for 3 people to sleep and a storage/workshop room. Seeing as how they didn't have much in the way of stuff, they were able to bring all of their things with them. Convenient, ain't it? Anyways, Sebastian was thinking about taking up alchemy to aid his wanderlust, so that he would be more able to secure lodgings during his long camping trips. He never brought a tent with him, prefering to take shelter in a makeshift lean-to covered in a cheap tarp. Gary was fine with a job in the Command Center, so long as he could join Sebastian in some of his longer camping trips. And Alyssa joined up as a scout, so long as she could go on the camping trips with her brother. I had no reason to object to their desire to go on long camping trips, seeing as how we were doing very well before they showed up, and wouldn't be harmed by another 3 people to feed. It might have something to do with Horizon being a post-scarcity society. We don't even have to dig stuff out of the ground to use as raw materials. We have the collectors, which produce effectively infinite matter. And eventually, the Horizonite society would spread and consume the rest of the world. And I shall rule them, seeing as how I am the most powerful wizard known to us.
Chapter 11: Invaders
We recieved a visitor in the form of an ambassador today. I greeted them at our airport of sorts.
"My name is Jack Snipe. I am an ambassador from America. I heard that you are a dictator."
"Well, no one here is complaining, seeing as how the whole place is post-scarcity and all."
"We do not care. I am here to institute a more humane system."
"More humane? The only punishments that have been handed out were incarceration and exile, due to legitimate crimes. Screw you and your superiors, and don't expect any favors in the near future."
"Well then, I suppose I'll have to call in the big guns."
He drew his cell phone, called someone, I don't know who, and told them that I would not step down from my dictatorship. He then closed his phone, put it away, and spoke once more.
"We tried peace. Now prepare for war."
"Gladly.", I said, and then I shot him. The scouts, now soldiers, made quick work of the squad deployed to protect the ambassador. They had surrendered, rather than die, and so we put them into our dungeon.
"David, what have you gotten us into?", Noah asked me.
"I have denied the US it's unreasonable demand, and reacted accordingly to their threat of war. We are wizards, they are not. We have no limit of resources, while they do. We can beat them into submission."
"You killed their ambassador. The people of America will be crying for your blood. We can win this, but there will be casualties."
"Noah, we can make nearly flawless defenses. Whatever they can throw at us, we can block and return in kind. They will learn that quickly. And we do not rely on manpower to operate everything."
"I hope you are right."
"C'mon, man. Let's rig up a defense system."
And so we went to the coast, where we built automated turrets that would fire homing missiles at incoming missiles and aircraft. We had refined the Collector design to the point of generating a kilogram every second, for a model that took up an 8th of a cubic meter. Anything in the sky without our alchemical signature would be torn to pieces in seconds, before it could even get close enough to use anything we would have a harder time blocking. And to protect us from bullets, things that can't be shot down, we would move the town underground. Sebastian and Alyssa would be contacted with the radio I had them take with them, and they would be ordered back home. And while Noah and I were building the turrets, and sinking the town underground, the Alchemical Prodigies would be building a fleet of airborn drones, and creating a prototype for an Alchemical Soldier, that could fight without risking human life. And thus ends Horizon's Dawn, and now begins the Morning.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Part 3
Spoiler
Show
Chapter 1: Is that all you got?
It has been a week since the debacle with Jack Snipe, and in the meantime, we relocated our city to a mile beneath the surface, with the rock reinforced with Damascan Steel, a particular alloy described in the Guide as the strongest for it's weight. We also created a swarm of airborn drones and a huge battery of automated missile defense systems. All in all, I'd say our defenses are adequate. But it could still be defeated. If they threw everything they had at us, they would overwhelm the missile launchers and the drones, and then it's a matter of blasting through a mile thick layer of stone and damascan steel. Which would give us enough time to flood the surface with nerve gas, now that I think about it. I picked this time to start telling my story again, because this is when the first regiment of soldiers came our way. They had come via airplane, which had quickly shot down, and the few who got out quick enough landed a mile out at sea. We sent out a rescue boat, because while we could easily just leave them to drown, we are not trying to be evil. We are defending ourselves, and subsequently paving the way for the new world order. The soldiers were brought down to the dungeons, with their weapons confiscated, and blindfolded so that they wouldn't be able to say where the enterance is. We gave each of them access to the internet, so that they could contact their superiors and let them know that their plan failed. After the soldiers reported in, I took over the conversation.
"Seriously? You send a single plane to try to beat us? I'm actually a little insulted. I know that's not all you've got. But it's just as well, because you have limits on materials. We don't. Surrender now, and submit to your post scarcity overlords.", I said.
"You're ranting like a supervillain. What you're doing must be wrong.", General Hubris replied.
"Just keep in mind, if you just leave us alone, we'll give you nontrivial amounts of food on a regular basis. Just leave us alone, and stop killing each other."
"And what's to stop us from just beating you into submission and taking that?"
"Because I'm the only one who can operate the machines. If I die, post-scarcity dies with me for a long time."
"We'll take our chances."
I hung up at that point, and left the dungeon. Damn that hubristic general! I'd like nothing more than to see the look on his face when he realizes that he's totally screwed. Oh well. I'd better do some more research into alchemy.
In the intermediate guide, it says that there's a way to streamline the process by removing the circle from the equation. I think I'll look into that.
After an hour long surgery, the implant is in place, and now I need no transmutation circle. I am now an alchemical powerhouse. I could turn the air into nerve gas from a mile away. It requires a near prodigal level of skill to use, however. Fortunately, I'm shaping up to be a master alchemist.
Chapter 2: 2nd Gear
The next day, more paratroopers tried to invade the island. I showed them to the dungeon a few minutes later.
"I must say, General, I'm dissapointed. You keep sending token forces to subdue a superpower. Step it up a notch. Start up the missiles. Do something to challenge me. Or, surrender. You won't win this.", I told the General when I got back.
"You know what? I just got permission to deploy missiles and naval forces. I'll see you in a few days."
"I won't dissapoint."
When the navy showed up, I targeted the first carrier and turned part of the hull into antimatter. Imagine, you're a soldier sent to depose a dictatorship, and then the boat next to you explodes for no discernable reason. It must have been hell. When they showed no signs of stopping, I continued the process of turning the hulls into antimatter. The missiles were all intercepted, while I was picking off ships. The implant had taken a bit of getting used to. The book said that it behaved like a muscle, and that it would get stronger with use. In a fit of self indulgence, I created a trenchcoat and fedora from thin air, and put it on over my regular clothes. I saw no survivors out on the water, and contacted the General psionically.
"David here. I just blew up your boats with a gesture and a thought. Any other strategies you'd like to try?"
"How are you doing this?!"
"Magic, which is my not-so-secret weapon."
"Not possible. This must be a hallucination."
"Fine. Go ahead and go to your psychiatrist. Just let me ask something. Why are you doing this?"
"Because they are occupying land we want, that's why."
"Dude, it's an island roughly the size of Scotland. It's not that big."
"I don't care. It is land. Land I'd like to turn into a tourist resort. Why's it matter to you, little hallucination?"
"Because this land is claimed by a nation that could kick your ass without breaking a sweat."
"Pft. We've got our allies in on this whole shebang now. That should bring this Horizon thing to it's knees."
"Horizon is much stronger than you think. At any point, we could launch a full scale invasion of America, and win."
"Yeah, I'd like to see 'you' try."
"Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."
And with that I ended the call. He wanted to see us try to invade his country, so who are we to deny him? I ran back down to the city, with a marvelous idea. When I reached the hangar, I found a giant empty spot, and began to work. I set up a collector, not wanting to grab materials from the stockpile. I molded a great wooden ship's hull, all one piece, with no weak points. I gave it a healthy layer of steel, on the inside and out. With that done, I created a ramp up to the top of the hull, and put down a deck. I then started to create a giant balloon. It would not be enough to keep this aloft, but it would certainly help a lot. I then started making dynamo powered helicopter rotors, remotely controlled. Next up were the weapons, which ranged from Overkill turrets to Alchemical Patriot missiles. After that, I began work installing the collectors, and an alchemical apparatus called a condenser, which would take the mass generated by the collector, and create preloaded designs when it had enough. In the mean time, said mass would be stored in a pocket dimension, where it would be out of harm's way. The blueprints that were loaded into the condenser were blueprints for the airship itself. It would be self replicating, but with a self destruct button to prevent it from getting out of hand. By the time I had finished the airship, 2 days had passed. We had repelled an assault from most of NATO while I was working on this. I walked over to the command center, and said over the intercom, "All military personell, please report to the hangar for briefing."
When all of the soldiers had come to the hangar, I told them that we would be invading America. Specifically, Washington DC. I would launch the airship, wait for it to multiply, until there were 128 of them, and in the mean time, I would create a series of human-esque alchemical automatons, one for each soldier in my small army. After the robots were completed, I would proceed to psionically link each soldier to a robot. It would be called "Operation: Return to Home"
Chapter 3: The Power of Rock
Until we were ready for Operation: Return to Home, I would be trying to learn advanced magics. The Intermediate Guide to Alchemy said that it was possible to augment your abilities with music. The type of music varied for each person, and after a bit of expirementation, I found that rock worked best for me. That's it then. We've finally crossed the threshold that held logic on one side, and pure, unadulterated fun on the other. I felt the need to sing, now that I realized what had happened. I began with a rendition of Another One Bites The Dust, followed by a 3-minute long guitar solo, and finished off with a round of I Wanna Rock. Noah may spend more time on alchemy than I do, and he has the advantage of elixir, but I'm still the master. I'd like to see him try to use the Power Of Rock to augment his power at this point. He might blow himself up, actually, due to the Power Of Rock being so volatile. It's like nitroglycerine; If used correctly, it's good for your heart. If you shake it too hard, or heat it too much, it might kill you. So, I'd rather he not try to harness the power of rock until he's at my point now. After my little concert of sorts, conferring to me the knowledge of how to play the guitar and play it well, I set up a room full of target dummies, with clear designations of whether it's an enemy or an ally. I would time myself going through the room and taking down all the enemy dummies normally, and my time doing the same using the Power Of Rock. I guessed that my time with the PoR would be better than my time without it, but I was surprised at the difference when I compared them. 5 minutes without it vs 2 minutes with it. That setteled it, then. In every fight, I would use the Power Of Rock. And I would make an axe that would double as a guitar as well. This was shaping up to become a wild adventure. This world gets crazier by the minute, not that I'm complaining.
Chapter 4: Return to Home
The fleet was heading in the general direction of Washington DC, to deliver the coup de grace and end this rather pitiful war. We had free time during the trip, and as such, I decided to create artificial skins and such for the robots on the same ship as I was. It would serve to make us appear human from a distance. I don't know why we would need to look human, but Noah said something about not looking like the goddamn robot apocalypse. So, I made us all look like humans.
We were finally over the US, and their air defenses were actually kind of pitiful. Plane after plane got it's wings taken off, spiraling towards the ground. We were making good time, and would soon be in DC. When we were there, we would capture the city, attempting to subdue the city's defenders. After we had control of the city, I would paint the floor and walls a rather nasty shade of red with the general. That was the plan, anyways. And things rarely go according to plan.
As it turns out, there was a glaring flaw in the design of the airships. The balloon was weak and unguarded. A well placed bullet, and the balloon would deflate, causing the airship to sink like a rock. Guess how many airships sunk like rocks. The answer is all of them. Before they hit the ground, I hit the self destruct button. If the US got their hands on this stuff, we would be powerless to stop them. Most of the psionically-controlled robots were destroyed in the fall and landing, but I managed to cushion my landing with a brief explosion. I then started to run for washington. I summoned a guitar, and started playing a solo intended to make me run faster. I eventually reached a blockade, intended to keep me out of DC. Ha! As if they could keep me out! I summoned a grenade rifle, loaded with knockout gas canisters, and landed one in the middle of the blockade. It wouldn't affect me, so I didn't bother slowing down. But when I got shot several times in the chest, I knew I had missed some. I turned to face my erstwhile opponent, and saw that he was the only one conscious because of his gas mask. But it wouldn't stop me from decapitating him with my guitar. Sure, it might slow me down, but it won't stop me. I transmuted the edges into a blade, sharp enough to slice through bone like butter. I started running at him, guitar at my side, and he started shooting some more. He had probably realized I wasn't human, since he had shot me 12 times, and yet I showed no signs of stopping. I finally caught up to him, tackled him, put my guitar to his throat, and started talking.
"Alright, I've tried to do this without killing anyone, but I'm afraid that I must make an exception. Ah, if only you hadn't been wearing a gas mask, this wouldn't have had to happen. Oh well, any last words?", I said in a low growl.
He then let loose an unintelligible cry that may have contained a few cries of "Don't hurt me!" and a couple cries of "Oh God!". I had him sufficiently scared.
"Alright then. I'll turn you loose, just don't shoot me any more, or tell anyone what happened. Got it?"
"Yessir.", he sniffled.
I let go of him, transmuted the air around his nose into chloroform, and started running for DC once more. I was only a mile away from DC now, and if I didn't run into any more soldiers, I would be there in 4 minutes. The things one can do with the power of rock. Heh, maybe if I tried hard enough, I could probably... fly... And then it hit me. I shifted my solo up a few notes, and began feeling my steps lighten. I jumped, and didn't hit the ground until I got to the White House.
Chapter 5: I knew you had it in you, kid.
Imagine, if you will, what it would look like if a guy in a trenchcoat and matching fedora weilding a battleaxe and a grenade launcher dropped out of the sky in downtown DC. I saw that I had missed my mark of the White House, and started off, not flying, just sprinting, with my unwieldy weapons secured to my back. A few seconds from the fence, I drew my grenade launcher and jumped over said fence. I was on the lawn of the White House now, and no one was standing in my way. I had the element of surprise on my side. They thought that the threats had died with the airship crash and the blockade. I leaped up and through the roof of the Oval Office, where the President himself was enjoying a nice cup of coffee.
"Oh, sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, I'll wait for you to finish.", I said facetiously.
"Who are you?", he asked after a beat had passed.
"My name is David. I am the ruler of Horizon, the little island nation that a certain general has been terrorizing. I have discovered a new technology that will revolutionize society itself. I can make a man immortal. If that's what you want, I can arrange that. I just need your help."
"What do you need?"
"Well, first, I'd like your military to stop trying to kill me and my citizens. Second, if you don't mind, I'd like for you to be annexed into Horizon. It's so fitting, seeing as how a single man was able to pierce your nation's defences and score a checkmate."
"Well, if this really is checkmate, I don't have much of a choice. We are now vassals of Horizon. Congress is gonna go apeshit over this, though."
"Don't worry about them. And you're not vassals of Horizon, actually. You're simply 50 of Horizon's many provinces. And, as citizens of Horizon, you will be supplied with our technology. Imagine it, an end to starvation, no one has to do anything again, and we can all do whatever we want. You would have to be a complete moron to deny my offer. So, be glad it's not up to Congress.", I said, laughing at the end.
"Heh, yeah, I can see a few people being outraged about having to stop being congressmen in order to live a life free of worry. No matter what you do, someone will try to be mad at you for it. 'I don't want to not have to work!', or, 'I hate being fed and looked after by the Government!'. Stuff like that."
"Right, well, I should probably tell you now, it is official government policy to incarcerate anyone who genuinely complains about the post-scarcity thing for a week at the least."
"Whoa, whoa, whoa. You would imprison people for complaining about post-scarcity? What the hell, man?"
"See, stupidity acts like an infectious organism. If not regularly pruned from the garden, it will overwhelm and kill off anything else. And I don't mean arresting people from their homes for complaining, I mean arresting people for complaining on TV, the radio, that sort of thing. And those people, they're the kind that everyone hates, the kind that are so opposed to progress of any kind, that they would deny immortality to everyone, simply because it's new. And as such, said people will spend a week learning why this way is better. And while honest-to-goodness mind control is available, it won't be used."
"Wait. Slow down. Explain it all to me."
And so I told him my story. The story of Horizon, the story of how I had become a powerful mage capable of taking down a nation, and the story of our current ambitions, including "Annex the world, raising the quality of life everywhere." and "Create a cheap and reliable way into space.".
After the long explanation, he finally said something.
"Wow. Holy shit. I am genuinely impressed."
"Eyup. So, when are other people going to come in? I've been here for fifteen minutes."
"Right about... now."
And then, several members of the secret service busted through the door, guns aimed at me. They yelled something to the effect of "Freeze! Hands up!", but I just stood there. The president said something that kept them from shooting, and I said that it wouldn't matter if I was shot, seeing as how I wasn't human at the moment. I mentioned that the annexation should be announced, and that I would try to explain my position as best I could.
Chapter 5: The Annexation
We were in front of the White House, with the media and the secret service, and all that accompanies a presidential announcement. The president and I were wearing ridiculous amounts of jewelry, just for shits and giggles. We actually had trouble with not giggling before the announcement began. Eventually, when all had settled down enough to begin, I began.
"Hello, everyone. I am King David, of the island nation of Horizon. We got tired of your general harassing us for our feudalistic government, and decided to take the fight to you. Long story short, I won. Fear not, life will be a lot easier for you now. You see, I had developed a technology that effectively ends all concepts of scarcity. This means that as long as you live in my country, I will see to it that you don't starve to death. And since there's effectively infinite stuff, I don't see why you can't live in a house made of platinum and diamonds. Or, since material matters not, something that doesn't look like garbage. So, that's it. Everyone has free food, at no cost to anyone, complaining about it will result in incarceration for a week. That's all, thank you for your time, and goodbye. I'll be making the rounds this month, installing food dispensers on every street corner and in every park."
"Everything that David has said is true. We are no longer Americans. We are now Horizonites. Everyone everywhere is a citizen, and there are no drawbacks due to lack of taxes. You can enter and exit this country freely, and hopefully this whole post-scarcity thing will reduce crime. Also, as of right now, no more taxes are being paid. Ever."
And with that, we stepped away from the microphone, and I sauntered off to make a few food dispensers here and there at the street corners.
Last edited by Horizon on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Part 4
Spoiler
Show
Chapter 6: R&D
With the US annexed, I decided to go around and install food dispensers at every corner. The jets I installed on my feet let me travel very quickly. On the way, I developed a bullet that would create one of food dispensers wherever it struck, and would fire out of an Overkill rifle. As such, I was simply firing blindly over the streets, with the ramscoops replenishing my fuel and ammo reserves. I would cover the nation in a few weeks, working by myself, and then, having a thought, I set the drone to autopilot, and came back to reality in our little compound.
"Hey guys. We won. I've got a drone taking care of all the little things, you know, putting down food dispensers, that sort of thing. Now, let's try and come up with a concrete plan for improving everything. First, we need better pocket dimensions. Noah, Batu, Tommy, and Eddie, come with me. We'll go to a secluded island to plan this out, so that no one is at risk from a minor mishap.", I said as I came out of my trance. I was rather hungry, so I went up to the kitchen to see if Santiago had anything.
After my meal of a griffinburger(beef pattie + chicken pattie), a large glass of ginger ale, and a caffiene pill, I went to where the research lab was being transmuted. Noah had set up several individual laboratories, as it turned out, all of them underground. Each one contained a few copies of each of the alchemy books.
Each of the 8 laborotories was arranged in a circle around a central hall, which we would use for sharing our findings and such.
"Alright, everyone. We're all at least somewhat familiar with pocket dimensions. Now we have to work towards improving them. Be sure to keep careful notes, cause unless you're a psion, your memory is kinda faulty. And keep all your results. One last thing: We're working in METRIC. Get it through your thick skull, Eddie.", I said to the assembled researchers. Eddie looked a little abashed, due to a mishap where Noah made a set of blueprints for self-cleaning public bathrooms in metric, and Eddie did his part in imperial units. It ended up with a geyser of sewage everytime you flushed. Kinda pretty, in a fucked up way. And who had to fix it? Eddie, because it was his goddamn fault.
We worked for hours on the problem, regularly sharing results in the main room. It seemed that only Noah and I were capable of comprehending the Expert's Guide, so I dismissed the others. I looked through the section on pocket dimensions in the Expert's Guide, and saw that there was a material known as light matter that had a myriad of strange properties, and would help with creating better pocket dimensions. It could also function as a psionically programmed computer, or something or other. It was a miracle material. However, it was a bitch to make. Because, first of all, it wasn't made of normal matter. Its subatomic particles were not composed of quarks or whatever the hell electrons were made of. They were made of a subset of quarks, drawn from a different dimension, which could be accessed with an item known as a Hypercube 42. That was a 42-dimensional cube. You think it's hard to wrap your head around a 4-dimensional cube? Try a 42-dimensional cube. It's really goddamn hard. But fortunately, once I got enough light matter, I could build a portal of sorts to avoid having to make any more hypercubes. So, it's time to go back into the psychoplanes to become a better psion.
Chapter 7: To the center of the mind
With crystal ball in hand, I delved deep into my mindscape. What was awaiting me there surprised me.
I saw a mass of tentacles, with an eyeball in the middle. It was relatively contained in a small area, held back by my psionic defenses, but it wouldn't be held back for much longer.
"You! You have disrupted the natural laws! You must be punished for your transgressions!", cried the mass from no visible maw.
"Why? Why must I pay for disrupting the natural laws?", I asked.
"Because if you disrupt them too much, the universe's link to the universe of magic will be restored, resulting in elementalism returning, which will cause people to end up killing themselves with every slip up!"
"Oh. That's bad. That's very bad."
"So you'll stop?"
"Oh hell no. I'll simply destroy whatever it is that causes elementalism, or maybe lock it away. I'll figure something out."
"Several men have tried. All of them have failed. What makes you think you can do this?"
"What, besides the fact that I control one of the most powerful militaries in the world? Or the fact that I'm not the only wizard on this island?"
"Hm. Well, the others who had tried before were all acting alone, so maybe you can pull this off with help. Perhaps I can help."
"You can start by helping me acquire 42-dimensional perception."
"Ah. You seek the fabled light matter. I know a shortcut, involving a series of lazers and jets. I will show you."
And with that, it broke through my defenses, and changed shapes to become Eddie.
"Ha. You actually believed it. I can't believe it. You fell for my ruse."
"Wait, what? Eddie, what the hell?"
"You still don't get it, do you. I'm tired of you constantly bossing me around. It's always 'Eddie, fix the bathroom', or 'Eddie, make a bunch of killing machines', and you never give me an iota of credit or gratitude. As such, I'm commiting a mutiny."
"First of all, I give you as much work as any of the others. Less, even, considering that you fuck up so many things. That's why I never thank you for doing things. You always fuck them up."
"Name one thing I've fucked up."
"The self cleaning bathroom, a third of the drones, and a shit-ton of other things."
"Regardless! I never get any credit!"
"You know, I now realize that I haven't decided on a punishment for invading someone's mind. I think it'll be life in prison. The bad prison."
"Pft. Like you could beat me in the psychoplanes."
"I don't have to. I just have to hold you off long enough for the guards to come and get you."
Eddie's face fell into an expression of "Oh, crap". It was all the hesitation I needed to fling the first Nerve Staple, a basic psionic attack that could weaken the target's astral projection. He visibly wavered in and out, and then the fight started.
I've not much experience with fighting without alchemy, and seeing as how I can't use alchemy on the psychoplanes, I'm a bit of a fighting noob. But I used to think I was a great fighter. And on the psychoplanes, that counts for something, it seems. Psionic beams were flying, Eddie trying to reduce me to a vegetable, and me trying to hold Eddie off long enough for Noah to find Eddie and knock him out.
We fought a fruitless fight for hours. He never gave an inch, and neither did I. But he was starting to slip, I could feel it. But he seemed to have a trick up his sleeve. Eventually, I fought him back to the breach where he entered my mind, and with one last shove, I forced him out of my mind, sealed the hole, and left the psychoplanes. Light matter could wait a little bit.
And as I regained consciousness, I felt the earth tremble beneath my feet, and a message entered my head.
"David, I've damned you and your little island to the depths of the mantle. I've been preparing a circle large enough for it for a while."
Dammit. There wasn't much time. I grabbed all the research materials, and bolted to the surface, stopping only to transmute a guitar. If I wasn't going to kill Eddie before, I certainly would now. At the surface, I started playing a flying solo, leaping towards the now exposed city. I saw what Eddie had done, and realized that what he had done wasn't that bad. He simply made a surface breach, fucking up every living thing in the ocean in a 100 km radius.
Chapter 8: The stars are left
As I was running to the city, the earth split open at my feet. I lept to the side, summoned a large bag with a pocket dimension in it, and put a collector, a copy of all the guides, and mason jars filled with various alchemical materials inside. With my doomsday gear packed, I looked down to the depths of the crack, and saw that the crust was split down to the mantle. So, it turns out Eddie did damn the island to the center of the earth. Along with the rest of the world. So this is how it ends. A jealous apprentice accidentally blows up the world. Well, things have gone down the shitter for Earth. I can fix this, if I'm given enough time to plug the leak, but the island is sinking fast. And so, I built a spacecraft, heavily influenced by alchemical design. It required no fuel, it simply generated it from nothing. It was quite large, capable of holding 100 people. The city itself was relatively intact, but it would fade into the mantle in a few days. I fired up the ship, sounded the alarm in the city, and waited as everyone gathered up what little they had and boarded the spaceship.
We took off, and I set a course for the moon. The autopilot would control the ship, and I would look towards Earth and watch it burn. As I watched the island sink and eventually disappear, it set off a chain reaction. First, the alchemical substances left in the labs reacted with the extreme heat, causing a massive explosion by the order of 14 megatons. That in turn shattered the Atlantic Plate, causing a massive eruption of magma and death. The gap caused by the Atlantic Shattering caused all the other plates to collapse in on themselves. And by that point, we were at the moon.
I had constructed a series of construction robots which would build a large dome of reinforced glass. They would then seal said dome to the ground, and then fill the dome with an oxygen-nitrogen mix. And in the meantime, I'd be working on an implant that would help keep us alive on the moon. It would supply the lungs with oxygen, and convert the carbon dioxide into more oxygen. That way, we wouldn't need oxygen tanks. In addition to the whole breathing thing becoming a lot easier, Michael and I would be working together to create another implant that would protect your eyes from a vacuum, by creating an airtight seal around them with lenses.
When the dome was completed, and the airlock enterance was functional, we moved in and started building houses. Eventually, when we were completely unpacked, I put on a space suit, and walked on the moon.
Walking on the moon is incredibly fun, and something I never thought I would do. But, it came to an end when I got hungry and had to go inside.
Most people had no idea what had happened to Earth, so I told them. I told them about Eddie's incompetence and malice. I told them about all of his follies, and how he was pissed about not getting any gratitude for fixing the things he broke.
Chapter 9: Come fly with me
Right, well, while the others are mourning the loss of Earth, I'll be trying to acquire light matter, so that I could have even the slimmest of chances of bringing back Earth. I began by entering my mind.
I looked carefully for any breaches in the mindscape, and, finding none, I entered the part of my mind that handled perception. There was a big amber lens, with smaller ones arranged in complex patterns around it. I opened up my copy of the Expert's Guide to Psionics, flipped to the section on perception, and followed the instructions.
So, as it turns out, the number of dimensions you can percieve depends on the positioning of the amber lenses. They always form some geometric shape, and the number of dimensions in said shape plus the number of said shape represents that number. So, I had to arrange a few more of the lenses into a cube, thus giving me 4-dimensional perception. It disoriented me at first, but I quickly got used to it. I then set to work multiplying the amber lenses.
After several hours of mind-warpingly great changes in my perception, I could finally create a Hypercube 42. When it was complete, it started glowing and then disappeared. In its place was a rift to the Light realm. I gazed in, and saw an incomprehensibly beautiful landscape that was both wondrous and mind-bending. I then began to lose my perceptive powers. First I lost 2 dimensions. Then, layer upon layer of perception was being lost. I decided to grab a ton of light matter and seal the portal before I went blind. I found that closing my eyes had not let me keep anything beyond 3 dimensions, as with more, I could see through my eyelids. I blindly collected light matter, and sealed off the rift with a mixture of damascan steel and lead. When it was safe, I opened my eyes. Light matter may not be as awesome in 3d as it is in 42d, but it's still a glorious sight to behold.
I cracked open the Expert's Guide, and looked for a project involving light matter. I decided on a ring that would let me fly, and got to work.
So, first, I made the ring itself, imbued with light matter, but with a big bulb of it on the surface to be easily reached. I produced a set of thin copper rods tipped with light matter, and began to work with the surprisingly intuitive interface.
A few minutes later, I put on the ring, and felt myself lighten. I tried to rise, and rise I did. I tried to fly, and fly I did.
I spent the next few minutes flying over the city while singing "Fly me to the moon". This almost makes up for the fact that Eddie destroyed the planet and screwed over the human race. I was flying near the forest when Sebastian flew up beside me, wearing a ring similar to my own, the difference being that the light matter was dark.
"Sebastian? I didn't expect to see you here. What's that ring you're wearing?"
"It's just like yours, except that it uses dark matter rather than light matter."
"Well, I suppose this has you taking Noah's place as Alchemical Leiutenant."
"Yeah, about that. I'd rather not have any part of your misadventures. As such, I'll be leaving in a few days."
"Where will you be going? Space is a big place, that's easy to get lost in."
"I'll be on Mars, terraforming it to make it habitable. You're welcome to visit, just don't be a dick."
"That won't be too terribly hard. Would you like some help with the terraforming? Maybe we could push it into Earth's old orbit."
"Nah, I got this. So, if you share the secret of acquiring light matter, I will share the secret of acquiring dark matter."
"Well, it's not a secret. It's in the book."
"Oh. Well, I suppose I must tell you how dark matter is obtained. You must first take a planet you don't much care for anymore, Earth for example, and extract it from the core. It'll leave the planet in a slight worse shape, but it will otherwise be fine. I took a literal metric ton, and there was no noticable difference. And there are ways to generate it, and I intend to replace the borrowed dark matter."
"You know, we're going to be close to gods soon."
"Indeed. Perhaps we should stick together, maybe generate a new Earth, that sort of thing."
"Y'know, the last time I made a pact with someone to rule the planet, it ended up imploding. Now, if we're gods at that point, we could salvage it, but still, don't jinx it."
"Well, last time it was a jealous apprentice, and I don't think we'll have too many of those."
"Jealous apprentices, or apprentices in general?"
"Depends."
"We are the Horizonite Pantheon. We will rule the planet of Horizon, and at least attempt to keep the peace. Pact?"
"Forever and always."
10: A new dawn
The next morning, I packed up the entire moon base, and started to bring it out into space. One side effect of being a polymath in terms of magic is powerful telekinesis. I created a light matter waypoint, locked into orbit with Earth, so that I could find it again. As the base was lifting off, I went around trying to find Sebastian. I found him working on what seemed to be a giant pocket dimension.
"Sebastian, what are you doing?"
"I am creating a new universe. It's not too terribly big, maybe the size of the Milk Way, but that's about it. Help would be appreciated."
"Alright, hopefully you don't mind some light matter woven into the tapestry of your universe."
"If it could be equal parts light matter and dark matter, that would be wonderful. Because we are supposedly equals, are we not?"
"Probably. I mean, I used to have authority over you, but maybe we should leave that part out of the mythology."
At that point, Michael entered the room, and started talking.
"Guys, bad news. Due to no radiation shield, just about everyone is now sterile."
"Oh crap. Well, Sebastian, what do you suggest?"
"Maybe try to cure it? Or have you tried that?"
"I have not. I just compiled the results a few minutes ago."
"Well then, go on. Cure the sterility so that we may have kids eventually."
"We will, of course, need to create a fresh batch of people."
"Indeed."
And we kept working on what we had dubbed The Horizon Gate. It could unfold to fit the moonbase through, which Sebastian and I would do, seeing as how we could both survive in a vacuum. When the city was through the gate, we would then enter through it ourselves, and create a solar system.
We eventually finished, folded it up, and walked outside. We unfolded the massive canvas, woven with a equal parts dark and light matter. I started moving the city towards the canvas, realized I could've held it open with telekinesis, and did so. Sebastian let go, seeing what I was doing, and we entered the new universe together.
And with that I left my old home, and stepped into the new one.
Last edited by Horizon on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

I couldnt stop reading man you just blew my mind

edit: Tab 3 had a good storyline but seemed a little unrefined in comparison to the first two.
Last edited by HaloGamefreek on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

This so reminds me of Robinson Crusoe. Love it! Keep at it
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
TheInfernalEnchanter

Post by TheInfernalEnchanter »

<3 You should publish this.
Can't wait for part four!
Also... Do I detect some equivalent exchange in part 3?
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

There was mention of EE in part 1...
Better is the enemy of Good
TheInfernalEnchanter

DaveYanakov wrote:There was mention of EE in part 1...
I don't care!
I...I... I must have more! MORE! MOAR!!!
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

You want more? Here's more! It's part 4! It has parkour! David's hardcore!
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

You escalated so soon!! Oh the storyline is amazing i just wish i had a chance to get to know these people before they became such major characters. I loved this and i think you should make it into a novel.
TheInfernalEnchanter

YES, MOAR!!!! MOAR EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE!!!!

Is there a part 5?
Ah, chunk errors...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

It's very good :)
My only problem is that it progresses a little too quickly. I realize that you're not likely to be a novel writer, but like I said, the plot progression moves very quickly.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

It moves so quickly because it is happening so fast. David is kinda overwhelmed here.
Also, if anyone caught the biblical reference, keep in mind that I picked David because it was my middle name.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I get that. And that it's a design choice. I'm just trying to fully understand it :)

Though I still think that learning to become a master alchemist like that (seeing in 42 dimensions and stuff. Nice reference btw ;)) should take enough time to collect his thoughts into something a little less <I don't want to say frantic, but frantic>. Especially since he's a psionic too.

Obviously though, you are the author, and are still succeeding in entertaining us either way :) Keep up the good work!

A short while later:

Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

How about the story of the three banned people? ;)
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Elevatator wrote:How about the story of the three banned people? ;)
What, you don't want him to finish the first story before going on to a second?
Or maybe he'd be willing to let someone else take a hold of it while he finishes this? ;)

A short while later:

Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Well,
Spoiler
Show
Prakthamish discovered Illusion, killed Eddie and took his place, and is why Earth is dead
And also, I do have more of this story, but I'm not sharing it on the internet. I intend to publish it. Sorry, guys, but I want to make some sort of money off of this.
Oh! And also: Extra perception is the realm of psionics. It's simply that your mind doesn't understand the extra dimensions, that's why you don't see them. Also: David is a prodigy in alchemy. That's how he became a master in a month and change.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

I feel like i was teased with a gourmet dinner and then told to eat it in five mins. I loved what i got but what i had could have been so much more. Publish it. Totally. But please give them a little more time to eat.

Btb when it is published im gonna need to know where to get my copy. :)
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

You think this took a while to read? Well, you probably suck at reading. But the complete anthology will be 5 times the length, by sheer dint of parts. And the parts are going to get a bit longer over time.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

Nope i meant i read it too quickly... I guess i suck at analogies lol