3D constructions in Miencraft like the Kiln..

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

3D constructions in Miencraft like the Kiln..

Post by Damion Rayne »

How hard are these types of devices to program? Anyone got any ideas? I gather it might be based off the code for the Portal which is a 3D build made of multiple blocks that connect to make an "item" that we can use. I think there's room for more items made in 3D with multiple blocks that could present lots of really cool game-play opportunities.

Thoughts?
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Deepsniper

Re: 3D constructions in Miencraft like the Kiln..

Post by Deepsniper »

I think that these should be made much more. People always are asking for more blocks that do this and do that but really when you think about it you can create a multiblock object that does the job for ya and most of the time actually looks good just like the kiln. I don't know how hard they are to implement but I'm guessing not any harder than putting together a brand new block from scratch.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Damion Rayne wrote:How hard are these types of devices to program? Anyone got any ideas? I gather it might be based off the code for the Portal which is a 3D build made of multiple blocks that connect to make an "item" that we can use.
They're not overly hard to program, but FC has stated that it's a bit difficult to figure out where to place the code (in the stoked fire? In the bricks? In the pottery?)

The code is entirely fresh and not based on the portal code :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Gilberreke wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:How hard are these types of devices to program? Anyone got any ideas? I gather it might be based off the code for the Portal which is a 3D build made of multiple blocks that connect to make an "item" that we can use.
They're not overly hard to program, but FC has stated that it's a bit difficult to figure out where to place the code (in the stoked fire? In the bricks? In the pottery?)

The code is entirely fresh and not based on the portal code :)
Oh ok cool, didn't know that.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I'll give it to you from the horse's mouth:

They're a bit of a pain because something has to be controlling the overall structure. In the case of the Kiln, that's the Unfired Pottery within it, which has a tile entity associated with it for that purpose.

This makes it rather difficult for it to work on default types (like ores for example) , as I'd have to modify those types to achieve the same effect which would mean a lot of base-class modifications.

The nether-portals are a bit different in that it's the player interaction (starting a fire) with the obsidian that tests for the shape of the portal, and if its present, creates its own blocks in the middle of it (the purple portal blocks) which then function as the portal itself.

Anyways, I'm still working on a method of extending the Kiln's functionality to other blocks in a reasonable manner. Just to say, it's not a particularly simple approach to take :)
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, I'll give it to you from the horse's mouth:

They're a bit of a pain because something has to be controlling the overall structure. In the case of the Kiln, that's the Unfired Pottery within it, which has a tile entity associated with it for that purpose.

This makes it rather difficult for it to work on default types (like ores for example) , as I'd have to modify those types to achieve the same effect which would mean a lot of base-class modifications.

The nether-portals are a bit different in that it's the player interaction (starting a fire) with the obsidian that tests for the shape of the portal, and if its present, creates its own blocks in the middle of it (the purple portal blocks) which then function as the portal itself.

Anyways, I'm still working on a method of extending the Kiln's functionality to other blocks in a reasonable manner. Just to say, it's not a particularly simple approach to take :)
Understood, thanks for the reply. It's just that I really do like the Kiln a lot and I'm hopeful that other types of 3-D structures are capable of being created to give us more unique and fun game play.

-DR

PS: Any ideas on what you might be adding in the future FC? Or is that a closed topic for the time being?
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damion Rayne wrote: Understood, thanks for the reply. It's just that I really do like the Kiln a lot and I'm hopeful that other types of 3-D structures are capable of being created to give us more unique and fun game play.

-DR

PS: Any ideas on what you might be adding in the future FC? Or is that a closed topic for the time being?
Yeah, I really like the idea too :)

Anyways, it's just something I need to put more thought into to hopefully find a generic solution I can apply to other blocks. Just because I don't have an effective solution now, doesn't mean that I won't come up with one in the future ;)

As for what I am going to add in the future, that is almost always a closed topic which I refuse to discuss. I give out hints as to what's to come fairly regularly, but that's as far as I'll go ;)
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote: Understood, thanks for the reply. It's just that I really do like the Kiln a lot and I'm hopeful that other types of 3-D structures are capable of being created to give us more unique and fun game play.

-DR

Yeah, I really like the idea too :)

Anyways, it's just something I need to put more thought into to hopefully find a generic solution I can apply to other blocks. Just because I don't have an effective solution now, doesn't mean that I won't come up with one in the future ;)

As for what I am going to add in the future, that is almost always a closed topic which I refuse to discuss. I give out hints as to what's to come fairly regularly, but that's as far as I'll go ;)
Yessir, understood on that note. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

-DR
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:Just because I don't have an effective solution now, doesn't mean that I won't come up with one in the future ;)
Supporting multi-block devices could be one of Forge functions.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

FlowerChild wrote: The nether-portals are a bit different in that it's the player interaction (starting a fire) with the obsidian that tests for the shape of the portal, and if its present, creates its own blocks in the middle of it (the purple portal blocks) which then function as the portal itself.
Just a thought, but couldn't you have it react similarly to a portal? AKA the structure reacts to the stoked fire and creates a "fire portal block" for lack of a better term.

That would then act similar to a glory hole in a glass kiln from a visual standpoint, though I'm not sure if having a "portal block" would allow it to recognize that it should be firing pottery/other items.

Let me know if that's retarded, I know you'll think of a kickass solution anyways.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

As I mention in the Suggestions & Ideas thread, I don't much care for implementation suggestions, as in how to code individual blocks. The constant suggestions for the mod annoy me enough without that extending to the code itself.

Your idea doesn't work because the Pottery (or whatever else is in the Kiln) block would replace the logic block you're talking about soon as it is placed there.

Thread locked.