Hardcore Bone? Pretty Please?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Hardcore Bone? Pretty Please?

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to check in to see if anyone has built an automated farm including the automated application of bone meal yet.

Would love to see screens :)
TheTrollerOfTrolls

Re: Hardcore Bone? Pretty Please?

Post by TheTrollerOfTrolls »

Hoo yah, time to get jiggy.
*cracks knuckles*
*spends 3 hours building auto farm*
*it fail on first attempt*
Ehhhh...
There might still be a few bugs to work out...
I'll post some photos later... Hehe...
A short summary of what to do upon encountering various trolls:
Server troll:Appeal to server admin for banhammer.
Forum troll:Tell the admin then run like hell as the admin rampages around with a banhammer.
Admin troll:Disconnect from server immediately.
TSA

Post by TSA »

well, i made a simple set-up just to see how it works.

its not fully automatic but does the job pretty well.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
i think it can become more practical and compact.

but its everything there.

Auto harvesting, auto fertilizer and auto collection point.
LunaticToad
LordOrmas

Post by LordOrmas »

I created this last week when i decided to finally tackle wheat automation.
Luckly when hardcore bone was added to BTW it was preatty easy to adapt it to the bonemeal changes :).
Spoiler
Show
It's not very compact (4x5x4 blocks), but it's fully automatic and as a first try i'm quite happy at how it turned out.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

I don't even know what hardcore bone does yet...
Quality comes before quantity.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

ThatOneDude wrote:I don't even know what hardcore bone does yet...
You're probably too young ;)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
TheFlame52

Post by TheFlame52 »

Husbag3 wrote:You're probably too young ;)
In all seriousness, I don't know either. Could someone please tell us what it does?
Marasambala wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:Is there a word for feeling utter pleasure but immense terror at the same time? If so, that's the word I'm looking for!
Love
OdieTube

Post by OdieTube »

TheFlame52 wrote:
Husbag3 wrote:You're probably too young ;)
In all seriousness, I don't know either. Could someone please tell us what it does?
Have you at least tried it first?
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Bonemeal doesn't work on trees. You can bonemeal tilled soil, and it gets these gray dots on it. That's all I know.
Quality comes before quantity.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Automatic? No. But I've built a test rig to see how what affects it has on growth timing. As for what bonemeal does
Spoiler
Show
Instead of insta growing whatever you click it on, it fertilises tilled soil decreasing the grow time of whatever is planted. So far, from what I've seen, it cuts the time it takes for hemp to reach its fully formed first stage in half. After that the soil becomes unfertilised and the hemp takes the regular amount of time to reach double height.
Sage

Post by Sage »

Hey, new user here, love the mod...etc the usual new user stuff, but I've come here to show my new design for an automatic (stack-able) wheat farm, which comes with a nice auto-equal-redistribution thingy that can be reused for other similar builds.

First, here it is the farm without the top:
Spoiler
Show
The BDs plant the wheat, sensors detect when its all grown, then a water stream harvest the crops and fertilizes the soil with the bonemeal dropped by the hopper (actually pistons move the planters away for harvest, but I noticed that the water stream could do the work only after the screenshot, so ignore it :P )

Now, for the redstone (yeah!).
Spoiler
Show
The first image has the AND gate (red wool) and the piston array (without it, I can make the gate prettier). There are torches below the pistons, BTW.
The second image shows the main thing. And before anyone ask, I always use colored wool for my redstone. It's like commenting my code. (And I'm sad near fire). Anyway, the AND gate feeds a R-S NOR latch (lime). On the R-state (when the AND gate goes on) the latch retract the water piston (white) and activates a gear box (blue on the center here) which power the bonemeal hopper and start a turntable-clock-BUD. This is hooked to the S-side of the latch, which reset after some time the piston and activate a monostable circuit (the BEST circuit :D) (yellow) which pulses the BDs (guess what, green. Also the repeater are all needed).

Anyway, I wanted to have an automated method to feed the BDs, and have seeds distributed equally in them. So I've came up with this:
Spoiler
Show
*DUN-DUN-DUN*
This monstrosity can be used to feed a row of eight hoppers without the first getting all the items. The thing works like a piston ROM which advances itself every time an item falls into the "panel hole"
Spoiler
Show
Now it should be clearer:
The circuit for this is super-easy, and doesn't need input from the thing below (in fact, if the item input is continuous, the thing works non-stop. If the item input is slow, it's actually better to switch the ice with another block)
Spoiler
Show
To input item in the wheel, I use a vanilla dispenser wired to the same wheel circuit, that can be easily filled with an hopper connected to the farm or whatever input you desire (not shown in the picture)
Spoiler
Show
If the dispenser finishes the items the system pauses and when the new ones arrive, a signal must be sent to it.

The system work flawlessly, with the only quirk that it has stopped working a single time in mid operation without notice or error in distribution. I do not exclude to have disturbed it myself. So anyway, enjoy.

Bonus shot of the mechanism connected to the hoppers, I thought it looked cool:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sage wrote:Hey, new user here, love the mod...etc the usual new user stuff, but I've come here to show my new design for an automatic (stack-able) wheat farm, which comes with a nice auto-equal-redistribution thingy that can be reused for other similar builds.
Awesome stuff man, and welcome to the forums!

This will probably go down as one of the best first posts ever ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:This will probably go down as one of the best first posts ever ;)
It certainly deserves to! Wow. I am just floored.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
shifty

Post by shifty »

That is seriously impressive. Never thought about using a row of detector blocks and redstone torches in that way. Also welcome to the forums!
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I personally don't understand the use of the ice, but that item distribution system is AWESOME!

I also didn't realize before that bonemeal could be dropped on soil to fertilize it. You can always trust FC to makes features intuitive and cool.

(I'm almost tempted to wish seeds behaved this way too, except for the fact that it would invalidate every single existing auto wheat farm... not to mention that it does take more care to plant seeds than to apply fertilizer, so it makes sense that you can't just drop them onto the soil)
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: I also didn't realize before that bonemeal could be dropped on soil to fertilize it. You can always trust FC to makes features intuitive and cool.
Hehe...this is why I knew Battosay would love what I was previously referring to as "Hardcore Farming". It's not only a system for nerfing vanilla bonemeal into something more reasonable, but it's also a system for automating its usage and making automated farms more interesting to construct if you're going for maximum output ;)

One interesting aspect is that it also works off the concept of automation system chains, as I strongly suspect it will lead to such interesting setups as:

Mob trap to get the bone. Mill to grind it. Split the bone meal output towards wheat farm and Kibble production. Feed wheat to cows in breeding facility. Send leather to tannery. Send Kibble to wolves. Send dung to tannery. Output tanned leather.

I think it will lend itself to some very interesting automation systems :)
LordOrmas

Post by LordOrmas »

Sage wrote: Anyway, I wanted to have an automated method to feed the BDs, and have seeds distributed equally in them. So I've came up with this:
Spoiler
Show
*DUN-DUN-DUN*
I resolved this problem with a vanilla dispenser on a turntable, with a DB linked to the usual block dispenser filled with wool half-slabs (so that it would dispense seeds only when it had at least 8 in it). It wouldn't exactly distribute the same amount of seeds to each BD and it could only refill 4, but I tought it was a pretty nice solution and I was happy with it. And then you show up with this much more elegant and fail-proof design :P.
well! back to lurk mode!
Sage

Post by Sage »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)
FlowerChild wrote: One interesting aspect is that it also works off the concept of automation system chains, as I strongly suspect it will lead to such interesting setups as:

Mob trap to get the bone. Mill to grind it. Split the bone meal output towards wheat farm and Kibble production. Feed wheat to cows in breeding facility. Send leather to tannery. Send Kibble to wolves. Send dung to tannery. Output tanned leather.

I think it will lend itself to some very interesting automation systems :)
Actually, I've intention for my survival world to make a system like this, with different factories that exchange materials through minecart railways that act as buffers. If my head won't explode in making it...

darahalian wrote:I personally don't understand the use of the ice, but that item distribution system is AWESOME!

I also didn't realize before that bonemeal could be dropped on soil to fertilize it. You can always trust FC to makes features intuitive and cool.

(I'm almost tempted to wish seeds behaved this way too, except for the fact that it would invalidate every single existing auto wheat farm... not to mention that it does take more care to plant seeds than to apply fertilizer, so it makes sense that you can't just drop them onto the soil)
The ice was more for me actually. In fact, in a slow request setup like this is best a normal solid block. However, I've never tried ice in water canals and I wanted to see the fabled iper-speed, and wow, it works. Worth making an ice machine in my world, since I have a snow biome near...
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.