Riveter's BTW re-texture requests

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
the_fodder

Re: Riveter's BTW re-texture requests

Post by the_fodder »

Door is not quite what i was imagining more of a smaller peephole then a creeper shaped window but I do like the rivets.
more of what I was thinking
Spoiler
Show
Door from another pack that I butchered the peephole into still not the right size but I gave up (what size is the creeper head?)Image
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Riveter wrote:The best part of Glimmar's Pack (Imo) is the stone/grass outdoor textures. I find most of the machine textures too busy
Exactly my point.

About the door - I'm not sure, the light grey nails/screws/rivets in the dark border around the creeper face looks screwy to me, it seems blurry at first look.

Also BtW saw is a buzz-saw it should have teeth on the sides of he blade too, just like the original texture does. Of course if you prefer it being the way is it's fine, it's your texture after all.
EDIT: Quick edit. Could you try this and post screenshot how it looks?
I like the way his saw is actually, I rather thought of the saw as vibrating back and forth quickly (like a hacksaw motion) rather than spinning like a table saw.

It would make more sense if it was rotary though as that would be more towards Steve's tech level, but I digress.

I actually liked the first version of the door with the embellished spirally brackets, but it does look a bit weird on the glass blocks.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Here's a couple different size "creeper peepholes"

I like the middle sized one, I'm going o keep that one as the new default. I toned down the rivets on the door and removed the ones next to the face.

ImageImage
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Yeah that looks to be about the right size. I hope I didn't come off as demanding with my last post, it wasn't my intention.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

the_fodder wrote:Yeah that looks to be about the right size. I hope I didn't come off as demanding with my last post, it wasn't my intention.
Nope, I put "requests" in the title so people could ask for changes/their own ideas made. I often run into creative walls when working on stuff(I do a lot of sculpting/painting), and getting peoples feedback and ideas really helps get me motivated.
I'm working on the GUI right now, but it's looking more like JS's than I was planning. Working on ways to make it look more unique.
Organum

Post by Organum »

This looks really good so far. When you finish I'm definitely going to use it.
cataline

Post by cataline »

Fantastic looking work so far, and like the other posters I will definitely be using your textures if you release them as a pack! Keep up the excellent work :)
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

MillstoneImageImage
I could tweak the textures for days, but I really want to get the mod block textures done so I can work on the items/gui. So we'll call this one 95% done, lol.

Edit: Updated texture and screen shot with new version.

Last edited by Riveter on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

These are beautiful textures, man. Look forward to using this once it's done. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

When working with textures with big pixel sizes, I find it better to include high contrast between adjacent pixels here and there. The contrast on the lighter lines is pretty low for example, so I'd add some shadow ones adjacent.

Example of what I mean is in the rock cracks here:
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Gilberreke wrote:When working with textures with big pixel sizes, I find it better to include high contrast between adjacent pixels here and there. The contrast on the lighter lines is pretty low for example, so I'd add some shadow ones adjacent.

Example of what I mean is in the rock cracks here:
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm bouncing around different textures and tend to miss details like that in the mix. I'm also trying to balance gradient and sharp light transitions. One of the reasons I'm making my own pack is a lack of available soft-textured packs. I find most to be too contrasted/pixelated.
Are those from a pack you are working on? They look great!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Riveter wrote:One of the reasons I'm making my own pack is a lack of available soft-textured packs. I find most to be too contrasted/pixelated.
Are those from a pack you are working on? They look great!
Yeah, obviously my overall contrast is a lot higher, but I like the soft look you provide. Just pointing out that a little local contrast does work wonders :)

And yeah, it's from my personal unpublished texture pack. Don't know if I'll ever release it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Riveter wrote:I'm working on the terrain.png more than I expected to. The BTW stuff uses more references than I remember. I wanted to get peoples opinions on the stone/cobble texture I came up with, as I'll have to match quite a few textures to it. it's a basic noise texture like Glimmar uses, I like the clean look of it. I'm not sure what tint will work with the color scheme I've got going.
There's also a look as some of the ideas I have for the doors/windows.
I saw this pic a few days ago and thought: "Ooo that's spiffy"

I was browsing this thread again today and realized that there is smooth AND cobble in the floor!

Best Smooth/Cobble EVAR!
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

These textures are really, really lovely! Almost enough to make me want to use something other than 16x.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Miss_Kat wrote:These textures are really, really lovely! Almost enough to make me want to use something other than 16x.
Thanks! Hearing that really pushes me to get the pack done!

On a sillier note, I realized the texture I posted for the saw blade doesn't work when the saw is put in sideways! It uses the side of the blade texture for that, but it also uses the middle of that part to determine the "edge" of the blade. I wanted the edge to be transparent, so I improvised and came up the minimal blade! I know some people won't like this work around, but I do so meh! You can always use the original or the John Smith version of the blade if you want it "solid".

ImageImage
Dark_Tundra

Post by Dark_Tundra »

Now place saws facing in all the other directions, especially down.
I believe your texture only covers east, south, and up facings.
My apologies if I am mistaken.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Dark_Tundra wrote:Now place saws facing in all the other directions, especially down.
I believe your texture only covers east, south, and up facings.
My apologies if I am mistaken.
Oh my, I didn't even think of that, lol! It's an easy fix now. I didn't know the saw could be placed upside down!

Edit: fixed and tested, works in all directions now.

All updates for stuff in the pack that are NOT BTW, will be in the off topic thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=703&p=8730#p8730
David367th

Post by David367th »

My...god.
When this is done I hope that 2.91 BTW will finnaly work for me, and this is not going to be one of those TP's that I get, look at for 10 minutes, then ask myself: "Why the hell did I just DL this?" then revert to the Defult.

I approve, keep going, it looks wonderful so far!
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

David367th wrote:My...god.
When this is done I hope that 2.91 BTW will finnaly work for me, and this is not going to be one of those TP's that I get, look at for 10 minutes, then ask myself: "Why the hell did I just DL this?" then revert to the Defult.

I approve, keep going, it looks wonderful so far!
This is off topic but i have to comment on this. David the moment you start playing with BTW and see what you can do with it and get the hang of it you'll never want to play on a vMC again.
David367th

Post by David367th »

I love BTW, Im talking about TP's that I don't like after I start using it.