Im a scared man

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Lord_Herobrine

Im a scared man

Post by Lord_Herobrine »

I am truly scared to post anything in the suggestions subforum... O.O
MIND. BLOWN.

No reason...
walker_boh_65

Re: Im a scared man

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Lord_Herobrine

Post by Lord_Herobrine »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Image
Why yes. I do. And correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure 95% of the other people on the forum do to
MIND. BLOWN.

No reason...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Then all is as it should be. The suggestions subforum is for FC to bounce ideas off of us, and for those people in the community who have somme design chops to them to occasionally have the chance to bring up something FC hasn't thought about yet. It's not a place for the random idea you just had to gain you attention.

I definitely wouldn't say I have design chops, so I don't post suggestions. I have, however, been around long enogh that I know a bannable suggestion when I see one. (Read: most of them.) If you ever want to bounce ideas around in a safe place, bring it to the IRC channel. The folks there will still shoot it down, but we'll explain why half the time.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Please stay afraid. I like it that way.
HaloGamefreek

Post by HaloGamefreek »

This made me smile.
Lord_Herobrine

Post by Lord_Herobrine »

What are the odds of FC banning me for any length of time if I suggest something like dungbombs :D
MIND. BLOWN.

No reason...
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Can't give odds of banning right now. High probability of scathing rejection. Most bans don't seem to come from single suggestions by themselves. High idiocy, continuing to fight for rejected ideas or trollish behaviour are all common contributing factors.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Lord_Herobrine wrote:What are the odds of FC banning me for any length of time if I suggest something like dungbombs :D
*Dons sunglasses*
Seems like a pretty shitty idea...
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Lord_Herobrine

Post by Lord_Herobrine »

morvelaira wrote:Can't give odds of banning right now. High probability of scathing rejection. Most bans don't seem to come from single suggestions by themselves. High idiocy, continuing to fight for rejected ideas or trollish behaviour are all common contributing factors.
I think I'll probably risk scathing rejection. This will be my first post ever on the suggestions sub forum.
Rianaru wrote:*Dons sunglasses*
Seems like a pretty shitty idea...
I lol'd this one...
MIND. BLOWN.

No reason...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Turns out the odds are 100% for a perma-ban with that gem.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

I loved this guy, gave me a great laugh!
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

So then FC has created one of the first self-regulating message boards by employing the Peltzman effect. The higher the costs of your actions the less likely your going to take risks.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

And that's generally true. But sometimes, in the case of true shitheads, they go ahead and take that risk. And pop goes the banhammer.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Well, hey, the hammer was intended to be swung. Besides, idiocy is infectious if not caught early; that, and watching(reading?) these kinds of threads gives chortles.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:So then FC has created one of the first self-regulating message boards by employing the Peltzman effect. The higher the costs of your actions the less likely your going to take risks.
While I will agree with your statement that a sort of self regulation has begun to spring up, I must note that this would hardly be "one of the first" self regulating forums.

It's funny. In nearly every respectful, caring, and/or otherwise "good" community I've seen, people seem to think that they live in a world populated by massive trashheaps of fora with a few sparse but brilliant gems scattered and hidden between them.

Their opinions on the trashheaps may certainly be accurate but from what I've seen the their opinion on the gems, like this one, are certainly accurate in their value but not nearly so much in their rarity.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Size matters. The larger your community, the lower the average intelligence of the community, even if everyone included was of the same intelligence to begin with. Good management of the community can reduce but not eliminate this effect. I think of it as something like:

(The apparent intelligence of a Mob) = (the average IQ of all contributing members) - (the total number of contributing members)/ (The quality of group organization and management)*

If we don't hear about most "gems" of communities because if we knew about them, they'd be swamped with too many people to still be awesome. And that's good (for them).

Spoiler
Show
Numbers not included for lack of proper units to measure. Approximate calculations only. Equation only valid for group sizes exceeding Dunbar limits, and really not even then. Do not use Equation if pregnant, nursing, or attempting to make useful predictions. Discontinue use of equation if you experience headaches, nausea, friend loss, hair loss, or an erection for periods exceeding 4 hours. Do not taunt the equation.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Thing is, places like this are less like gems in a shit pile, and more like oasises in a desert. The more people there are, the less there is for everyone. If there are too many, it'll dry up. As such, groups pop up around the oasises to protect them from those who would abuse them.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Smaller communities also have less feeling of anonymity as well as a limited audience, which keeps the effects of John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory at bay.
Better is the enemy of Good
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Lord_Herobrine wrote:I am truly scared to post anything in the suggestions subforum... O.O
If it's a shitty idea, don't post it. This falls under don't be a dick, or waste time.
Do a quick search of the suggestions subforum.
Chances are that your brilliant idea has been suggested..

If you can overcome your fear.. Or are prone to episodic impulsiveness.

There is always the Volcano of Death. :-D
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Further proof that there's no minimum duration on a necro.

The guy was already banned man.