Indie games worth checking out!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Re: Indie games worth checking out!

Post by jorgebonafe »

kregoth wrote:I just found out about this game from the King Aurthors Gold blog. It's a 2d side scrolling metal slug like game with physics and awesome :)

The trailer says it all!
Is that Samus there at the end?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Vulgarr the Viking http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/182 ... the-viking

I found this on Kickstarter, it's like an old school arcade action platformer. It's looks pretty awesome, anyone remember Ghouls and Ghosts? :) :P
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

The other two games im playing at the moment (besides MC) are already both listed.

SpaceChem - Great puzzle game which i solve in similar ways to my redstone problems in MC. Grabbed this in an indie pack in steam summer sale and its put all the other titles i bought on hold.

DayZ - One of the most intense games i have ever played. Nothing beats hearing gunshots in the distance of the vast map and making that decision, go towards them or away.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902 ... stle-story

Castle Story launched their Kickstarter page, and already getting very close to there funding target. Here is the original developer video demonstration they created a while ago.

FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Don't forget the actual trailer:

You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well their kickstarter seems to be going well since they already hit their funding goal... :P
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/summer_indie_bundle

Looks like steam is doing a midweek madness sale for all the indie bundles they had made during the summer sales :)

13 different bundles all together, ends August 2nd!
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

Bastion is my favorite game of all time (behind Better Than Wolves Minecraft), the story line just enthralls me every time I play it, the gameplay is so tight, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

LJEKadeshi wrote:Bastion is my favorite game of all time (behind Better Than Wolves Minecraft), the story line just enthralls me every time I play it, the gameplay is so tight, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Mentioning Bastion without bringing up the soundtrack is a faux pas. Awesome music.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

http://maiagame.com/viewentry.php?id=1

Now this looks extremely promising, as you all know I LOVE Dwarf Fortress, and Maia is a game that in the end hopes to simulate some of what makes DF great. You can't play anything yet nor can you pre-order, but after reading some of the updates it looks like it will only be a few months before that changes.

EuroGamer has a pretty good interview with the developer and it gives a pretty good insight to what Simon Roth's plans are for his game, it looks pretty damn ambitious and draws a lot of inspiration from Dwarf Fortress as mentioned in the article several times. I am keeping my eye on this game and the developer, (Who is following me on twitter now, which is awesome!)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ly-harmful
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Lol, i was just thinking about if Maia was already mentioned while opening the thread ;)

Interested in it as well :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

well, one of my favorite metroidvania games finally got it's remake released outside of japan :P

http://playism-games.com/games/lamulana/

I played the original freeware version a few years back, and it was awesome.

it has puzzles, exploration, and freudian symbolism galore :D

(also, the soundtrack is awesome, it's even better when you realize that you can also download and use the original chiptune soundtrack as well :P)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Just watched the video for the game Planetary Annihilation on Kickstarter.
I know it is just a visualisation of the game but I felt a little tingle when I watched it.
Go check out their Kickstarter page
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

How are they going to balance blowing up planets? :P
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Sarudak wrote:How are they going to balance blowing up planets? :P
Crushed parts of it could hit your planet/base. At least this would be cool.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Mac

Post by Mac »

I don't know if daedalic entertainment classifies as a true indie developer,
but they have a couple of interesting adventure games and are indipendent from the big ones while being a development
studio/publisher themselves AFAIK.

One Adventure worth mentioning among others would be Deponia.
My Youtube channel.

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Sarudak wrote:How are they going to balance blowing up planets? :P
One would imagine that if you managed to scrape together the surplus resources to claim an asteroid, build giant engines on it and then defend those engines and the rock itself while it slingshots around the entire solar system, it would be fair to say you've won. A planetoid bombardment would be a game ender if it got through.
Better is the enemy of Good
johnt

Post by johnt »

To The Moon:

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

I have never cried so hard from a game. A sci-fi love story similar to Memento or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
The_Eviltwin

Post by The_Eviltwin »

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it already:

The Mount and Blade collection is 75% off on steam until 24/8.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Another Humble Indie Bundle with Android support :)

SpaceChem is probably my favorite game in the bundle, and World of Goo is great if you have never played it.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Knucklecracker is currently working on Creeper World 3, which should be out by the end of the year.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

WHAAAAAT?!?!? The first two were great so I definitely can't wait for this one :D
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

http://www.gnomoria.com
This is essentially Dwarf Fortress with a built in visual component instead of the extremely simple graphics that DF has. I don't think that it's exactly the same gameplay-wise, but from what I've heard, it's pretty close. And the controls are fairly intuitive menu controls, which I think offers an improvement from DF. I never had enough time to get into Dwarf Fortress, maybe just because I wanted it to be flashier...

OOOOH LOOK A SHINY!

<runs away>
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

http://www.pathofexile.com I really should have mentioned this game a long time ago!

This is an absolutely a great game and is worth grabbing a supporter pack to get into the beta. The game is a marvel when you look at through a game design perspective! It's a Diablo like hack and slash RPG, it can be pretty grindy but it does it in a very rewarding and fair way, and that because there is no worthless items even really common items can be upgraded into a much rarer item.

If you already play let me know I would love to have some BTW users to play with, and if you don't it's worth the $10 just to get into the closed beta. So what are you waiting for? Go play now, you'll love every minute of it, even when grinding for gear to build your character :P
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

What's that? Sandbox city builder with steampunk Chtulu setting by the guys from Dungeons of Dredmor?

Yes please!