Serious Request: More sources of poo.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
RegularX

Re: Serious Request: More sources of poo.

Post by RegularX »

empath wrote:Well, on my 7th attempt at a new world, I managed to find a wolf, managed to kill a few skeletons so I could tame it, managed to keep it alive long enough to get 3 dung, went to the nether, got the hibachi grill going, made some tanned leather, made a saw to cut some wood panels, and I think you know where this is going...

killed my wolf with the saw.

Stupid wolves...

(PS, i'm not really demanding, just pointing out a possible source of annoyance and tedium in the new tech tree, forcing people who downloaded a mod because they thought that minecraft could do 'better than wolves' to actually feed and care for wolves to use the mod is a special kind of sadistic.)
I found it pretty annoying myself. Some seeds are just really wolf unfriendly. Wolves only spawn in Tiagra and Forest based biomes, so if you're in a big RainForest or Desert centered world you could be in for a decent hike away from your camp. When I finally realized I needed a belt, I had diamonds, redstone, obsidian, netherrrack, etc. - but no dung. And then you better hope you don't find lava or zombies along the way.

But in general, you've got to keep wolves penned up anyway - at least until you've got enough of a pack that they can attack well in a group (or you can lose one or two).
empath

Post by empath »

Yeah, in multiplayer, having to travel to different biomes to get stuff is awesome because it encourages travelling around and specialization and settlements in different locations, so someone near a forest can just make leather stuff all day and trade it and it's awesome, but on single player it can be not fun if the one thing you need to advance doesn't spawn anywhere near where you set up camp.

Have slime and wolf chokepoints on the tech tree wouldn't at all be a problem on any decently populated multiplayer server, but on single player it's not great fun to travel around for hours looking for wolves.

And now that I think about it, the real problem with dogs and slimes is this:

When you're looking for diamonds in caves, there's a whole bunch of stuff going on. You're exploring, you're laying torches, you're fighting zombies and creepers, every few minutes there's coal and iron and redstone and lapis you can dig out. You've always got multiple things going on and even if you don't find diamonds, you at least got a bunch of useful stuff out of it.

When you're looking for slimes, you're in an already lit cave that you've already got the ore out of. If you don't find slimes, you got absolutely nothing for your time. Same deal with travelling a huge distance over ground. There's not a whole lot over ground that's worth scavenging for. Maybe some pumpkins and clay and maybe mushrooms and that's it. All the animal supplies you need can be easily gotten around any regular settlements. So you spend a few hours looking for wolves and you get nothing out of it.. plus every night you need to build a camp and everything. Its just an unfun nuisance. Wolves are great if you happen to find them, but don't really need them, but if your game is basically on hold until you find them, it gets really frustrating. I threw away about 7 or 8 hours of a game save just to start over in a world that I knew I could find them in near the spawn.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

empath wrote:Yeah, in multiplayer, having to travel to different biomes to get stuff is awesome because it encourages travelling around and specialization and settlements in different locations, so someone near a forest can just make leather stuff all day and trade it and it's awesome, but on single player it can be not fun if the one thing you need to advance doesn't spawn anywhere near where you set up camp.

Have slime and wolf chokepoints on the tech tree wouldn't at all be a problem on any decently populated multiplayer server, but on single player it's not great fun to travel around for hours looking for wolves.
1) Find a foresty biome with trees (they're everywhere. literally)
2) Randomly place torches on trees
3) Circle the forest a few times, killing wildlife

You will find wolves. And it'll probably happen within a single minecraft day; if you're unlucky, the torches provide light enough to prevent mass spawning of hostiles at night, and encourage wolves to spawn.

It only gets hard when you're on a challenge map. Not a clue how I'll get any wolves on the wasteland mod I downloaded today...
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:1) Find a foresty biome with trees (they're everywhere. literally)
Yeah, this. As I said before, I don't get people's trouble with wolves. You're looking in the wrong place if you're not finding them all over the place.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Gilberreke wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:1) Find a foresty biome with trees (they're everywhere. literally)
Yeah, this. As I said before, I don't get people's trouble with wolves. You're looking in the wrong place if you're not finding them all over the place.
Took me 3 minecraft days of circling around a huge forest biome for me to find my 3 wolves, so it can take awhile sometimes. But honestly 3 wolves is more than enough for anything I'll need (for now). They produce almost 10 poo a day without me feeding them.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

KriiEiter wrote:Took me 3 minecraft days of circling around a huge forest biome for me to find my 3 wolves, so it can take awhile sometimes. But honestly 3 wolves is more than enough for anything I'll need (for now). They produce almost 10 poo a day without me feeding them.
Did you make sure to only look early early morning? They're almost impossible to find during the day.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Urian

Post by Urian »

They have the highest chance of spawning at dawn and dusk (so using a bed to sleep reduces your chance of getting wolves to spawn). As for slimes, use the tool linked to earlier in this thread, with that it's extremely easy to get slimes and they can be found with rarely much more than 3 chunks in between
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Urian wrote:They have the highest chance of spawning at dawn and dusk (so using a bed to sleep reduces your chance of getting wolves to spawn). As for slimes, use the tool linked to earlier in this thread, with that it's extremely easy to get slimes and they can be found with rarely much more than 3 chunks in between

Yeah I know they have higher spawn rates during dawn and dusk, but I just stayed out continually during day and night searching (moving far enough for things to despawn, then back again).

Sometimes they just don't want to spawn.
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Everyone better learn what a "Forest or Taiga" Biomes looks like (the only two biomes that wolves spawn in). Learn to mark them someway when you do find them. Because as of 1.8 the Biomes are going to be a lot bigger. So finding wolves could be a lot harder.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Ok, here's a silly idea that may fit in with the wolf-torture theme of the mod and increase the amount of dung.

Spicy food.

You'd make it by combining Hellfire Dust with some foodstuff, and by feeding it to one of your wolves you get a significant chance for it to produce some dung. Expensive, but effective.

The other 12.5% of the time, the wolf explodes/bursts into flames.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Triskelli wrote:Ok, here's a silly idea that may fit in with the wolf-torture theme of the mod and increase the amount of dung.

Spicy food.

You'd make it by combining Hellfire Dust with some foodstuff, and by feeding it to one of your wolves you get a significant chance for it to produce some dung. Expensive, but effective.

The other 12.5% of the time, the wolf explodes/bursts into flames.

So I'll have to build a footbath for them then?